Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 1457

Thread: Hasselblad X1D

  1. #51
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    113
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    Without IBIS or VR/OSS/IS, casual "travel" use is crippled. Not impossible, but certainly less enabled. Landscape photography, with a tripod, is certainly in play as it is with other medium-format alternatives. Buying the $9K (USD) platform in anticipation of "a full range of smallish primes and an exceptional 24-70mm equivalent f/4 zoom" in a few years is not attractive to me.



    How about best-of-breed EVF (like the Leica SL), IBIS or VR/OSS/IS, articulating rear LCD (like the 645Z), focal plane shutter, fast AF, and better lens selection for a start? I don't need "lighter and more compact".

    Joe
    Well then it is not for you, does not mean it is not for me, a professional landscape / editorial and advertising shooter who would easily use it for travel use and light and fast landscape use. I think it looks awesome.

    Big world out the Mr. Joe, not all of us are "retired" yet...
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  2. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,531
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Seems like this thread is more about freedom of speech than the actual camera.

    But anyway, my views:

    I saw the live broadcast, and actually it's the first time I've seen the CEO Perry speak (I've only read stuff earlier). As he's a man that's been working with luxury brands I've been a bit worried that the Lunacy would not be over. I see that the luxury profile is there, the camera is "Handmade in Sweden" (etched into the camera body, looks a bit silly to me, but I can live with it), and it has a special designed bag, probably expensive (haven't seen it yet). The very much try to build on the brand, they stress very much that they really make it themselves, invited the press to their factory (like Leica does) etc. So now I see how Perry's background fits in there, and I'm no longer worried that it will go the Lunacy way again. And I don't think we'll see a new Ferrari edition...

    I never like it when cameras are made luxury items, but the softer level of luxury Hasselblad has now in their X1D product feels fine by me, and actually have some taste to it.

    Price: it's more expensive than a Pentax, but if it had been a Leica it had costed even more, and it's of course only about 1/3 of a H6D-50c so it's aimed not only at professional photographers. I think the price is right regarding their focus group and their relative amount of luxury. And as Hassy and Phase SLRs are so extremely expensive as it is, it's actually good value regardless. Sure Pentax is better value, and a 135 camera much better still, but you don't get this type of camera to get the best price/performance.

    Technical aspects of the camera:

    Sensor size. 44x33/50MP was expected and I think it's a good choice. 54x41 is not reasonable for a product at this price range and the desire to make it small and light. For the long-term future it would be nice with 51x41 mirrorless, but I think that is the time when the H series will ditch the mirror. Yet a new mount could be made by then.

    Shutter: leaf shutter is right for this camera, but all of us frankenstien-camera-builders are of course majorly disappointed as it will not be (easily) adaptable for TS-E lenses etc. Is it bad that they did not think more about third-party adaptation? I don't know. But I've seen the tech cam genre hammered by luke-warm to poor support from both Hasselblad and Phase One over several years, so I think they simply don't see much money in it. They could have had both of course, that would have been nice. But I simply don't know if it's worth to bother. As it is now with no FPS, it seems to me that the CFV-50c is still a better offer for tech cam use.

    Lenses: they really need a wide angle, but the 30mm is coming. That's nice. I know many would like even wider... like many like even larger aperture. Personally I think the tradeoffs are tasteful and balanced. Super large aperture and ultra wide means super large heavy complex expensive. I think they've found a good balance.

    User interface / ergonomics: the sweep/touch interface did not leave me with a good feeling personally, but I think this is what people want these days. It seems to have two wheels, auto-ISO and a back-button focus drive which is what I need for hand-held shooting. Oh well, the auto focus I like to know how it works. It must be at least decent, or else there will be some substantial disappointment I think. No flip-out screen, I don't miss it, but perhaps many others will, I don't really know if it was a wise design decision or not. In terms of look not having a flip-out screen is the right thing I think, flip out screen is a bit ugly/gimmicky on a camera but very handy at times...

    The size -- it's great. The modest sensor size, modest aperture, and probably not having a focal plane shutter all have contributed to this. I think that the small size is a greater achievement than we may actually think. One must understand that design is about trade-offs. There's no such thing as a "no compromise design". I'm impressed with the trade-off Hasselblad has found in this design.

    If it's for me? No, I'm a tech cam guy. But I think it will be for many and that it will bring Hasselblad forward, and I also think it's a great and new contribution to the medium format segment. "Game changer" is always a big word, but compared to what I've seen throughout the years from various companies when this term is used, this is one of the better times.
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

  3. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts and Vermont
    Posts
    509
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    Without IBIS or VR/OSS/IS, casual "travel" use is crippled. Not impossible, but certainly less enabled. Landscape photography, with a tripod, is certainly in play as it is with other medium-format alternatives. Buying the $9K (USD) platform in anticipation of "a full range of smallish primes and an exceptional 24-70mm equivalent f/4 zoom" in a few years is not attractive to me.



    How about best-of-breed EVF (like the Leica SL), IBIS or VR/OSS/IS, articulating rear LCD (like the 645Z), focal plane shutter, fast AF, and better lens selection for a start? I don't need "lighter and more compact".

    Joe
    1. I agree about buying in now without a broad range of lenses. Less of an issue for me as I have 7 HC lenses already.
    2. I don't need a 50MP medium format camera for "casual" travel use. I have a Sony A7RII for that.
    3. I would rather have leaf shutter lenses. No shutter shock issues. With a focal plane shutter, you would need EFCS and I don't think that's possible with the Sony 50MP sensor.
    4. I need lighter and more compact. If I didn't, I already have an IQ 180. And if I didn't and I wanted to move into medium format and light and compact was unimportant, I would buy an IQ 3 100 or an H6D 100.
    5. My hesitancy on the X1D is that it is a first generation camera. Just like the evolution of the original A7R to the A7RII, I would expect the next X1D iteration to improve on things like AF performance and the EVF quality.

    BTW, good, constructive discussion so far.
    hcubell
    www.howardcubell.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  4. #54
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    49
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Nope. Not in the slightest.

    I have the XF/100 and wouldn't even consider dumping it for this new Hassy. Among the many reasons:

    (1) The XF's weight doesn't bother me.
    (2) I despise electronic viewfinders. Hate hate hate.
    (3) I don't want to (a) learn and (b) be locked into yet another RAW converter (Phocus).
    (4) Maximum shutter speed of 1/2000 wouldn't work for me.
    (5) I'm assuming from the specs that neither the autofocus operation nor the manual focus operation will be as good as the XF's.
    (6) I don't particularly like the rendering of modern Hasselblad lenses.
    (7) There's no waist-level finder option on the X1D (and the LCD doesn't articulate to serve as a quasi waist level finder).
    (8) You'll take a significant financial hit on the XF gear.

    (And, perhaps unlike the IQ180, the CMOS IQ100 is already good at high ISO, of course, so that wouldn't be a motivator for me)

    Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    I really could see dumping my XF / IQ180 for this new X1D. The XF is unbearably heavy especially with the 40-80mm attached. Yes I'd lose a bit of resolution and C1 but the small lightweight Blad plus high ISO capability would make up for that.

    Anyone else have the same thoughts ?
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  5. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    461
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Maybe it's just me, but the more I read about this 'game changer' the less I like.

    I still think the Pentax 645z is better except for the size part of it.

    What IS interesting is that this opens the door for Sony (and maybe Pentax) to come up with their own mirrorless offerings in the MF domain.
    Too much to list, let's just say I have a bad case of GAS.........
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  6. #56
    Senior Member Quentin_Bargate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saffron Walden, UK
    Posts
    1,803
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    58

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    I'm a superyacht lawyer. I can see the X1D fitting right in as a must have luxury accessory in that world - Ready for Monaco Yacht Show at the end of September? Hasselbad are welcome to join us at Before bar near Rascasse if they wish... I'm perfectly serious. We host an event there over 4 days.
    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  7. #57
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,530
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by torger View Post
    Seems like this thread is more about freedom of speech than the actual camera.

    But anyway, my views:

    I saw the live broadcast, and actually it's the first time I've seen the CEO Perry speak (I've only read stuff earlier). As he's a man that's been working with luxury brands I've been a bit worried that the Lunacy would not be over. I see that the luxury profile is there, the camera is "Handmade in Sweden" (etched into the camera body, looks a bit silly to me, but I can live with it), and it has a special designed bag, probably expensive (haven't seen it yet). The very much try to build on the brand, they stress very much that they really make it themselves, invited the press to their factory (like Leica does) etc. So now I see how Perry's background fits in there, and I'm no longer worried that it will go the Lunacy way again. And I don't think we'll see a new Ferrari edition...

    I never like it when cameras are made luxury items, but the softer level of luxury Hasselblad has now in their X1D product feels fine by me, and actually have some taste to it.

    Price: it's more expensive than a Pentax, but if it had been a Leica it had costed even more, and it's of course only about 1/3 of a H6D-50c so it's aimed not only at professional photographers. I think the price is right regarding their focus group and their relative amount of luxury. And as Hassy and Phase SLRs are so extremely expensive as it is, it's actually good value regardless. Sure Pentax is better value, and a 135 camera much better still, but you don't get this type of camera to get the best price/performance.

    Technical aspects of the camera:

    Sensor size. 44x33/50MP was expected and I think it's a good choice. 54x41 is not reasonable for a product at this price range and the desire to make it small and light. For the long-term future it would be nice with 51x41 mirrorless, but I think that is the time when the H series will ditch the mirror. Yet a new mount could be made by then.

    Shutter: leaf shutter is right for this camera, but all of us frankenstien-camera-builders are of course majorly disappointed as it will not be (easily) adaptable for TS-E lenses etc. Is it bad that they did not think more about third-party adaptation? I don't know. But I've seen the tech cam genre hammered by luke-warm to poor support from both Hasselblad and Phase One over several years, so I think they simply don't see much money in it. They could have had both of course, that would have been nice. But I simply don't know if it's worth to bother. As it is now with no FPS, it seems to me that the CFV-50c is still a better offer for tech cam use.

    Lenses: they really need a wide angle, but the 30mm is coming. That's nice. I know many would like even wider... like many like even larger aperture. Personally I think the tradeoffs are tasteful and balanced. Super large aperture and ultra wide means super large heavy complex expensive. I think they've found a good balance.

    User interface / ergonomics: the sweep/touch interface did not leave me with a good feeling personally, but I think this is what people want these days. It seems to have two wheels, auto-ISO and a back-button focus drive which is what I need for hand-held shooting. Oh well, the auto focus I like to know how it works. It must be at least decent, or else there will be some substantial disappointment I think. No flip-out screen, I don't miss it, but perhaps many others will, I don't really know if it was a wise design decision or not. In terms of look not having a flip-out screen is the right thing I think, flip out screen is a bit ugly/gimmicky on a camera but very handy at times...

    The size -- it's great. The modest sensor size, modest aperture, and probably not having a focal plane shutter all have contributed to this. I think that the small size is a greater achievement than we may actually think. One must understand that design is about trade-offs. There's no such thing as a "no compromise design". I'm impressed with the trade-off Hasselblad has found in this design.

    If it's for me? No, I'm a tech cam guy. But I think it will be for many and that it will bring Hasselblad forward, and I also think it's a great and new contribution to the medium format segment. "Game changer" is always a big word, but compared to what I've seen throughout the years from various companies when this term is used, this is one of the better times.
    Agree let's talk camera folks. I hate political crap especially this year.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  8. #58
    Senior Member Joe Colson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    1,543
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    36

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Agree let's talk camera folks. I hate political crap especially this year.
    What specifically in this thread is political? I'm confused.

    Joe
    _________________________________
    Joe Colson Photography
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  9. #59
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,530
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    I taught 28 workshops with many of the members here as well and my gut feeling after all the DSLR cams we had and all the tech cam cool stuff we played with. If I had just one of these available we would have a tug a war on our hands on getting to use it. I know many attendees would have rather had something as simple as this to work with. Now take that case scenario outside the workshop environment than I know this would be the case no question about it. This is extremely interesting and it actually gives me a chance to sneak back in.

    I'm already working on getting a demo unit. I'm not stupid . Lol
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

  10. #60
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    12,724
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    40

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    The billingham luxury bag, is it included in the price of a camera or costs extra?

  11. #61
    Senior Member Joe Colson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    1,543
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    36

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by Ai_Print View Post
    Well then it is not for you, does not mean it is not for me, a professional landscape / editorial and advertising shooter who would easily use it for travel use and light and fast landscape use. I think it looks awesome.

    Big world out the Mr. Joe, not all of us are "retired" yet...
    If you can make money as a professional with this camera, then more power to you. I was only speaking for myself, not others, so I used the expression "to me". I'm retired from my profession, but not retired from life. If you're lucky, you'll get there, too.

    Joe
    _________________________________
    Joe Colson Photography
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  12. #62
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,530
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    What specifically in this thread is political? I'm confused.

    Joe
    Maybe not so much political but legal crap. No need to go there. Just greys the matter at hand.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  13. #63
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ithaca, NY
    Posts
    3,335
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by Pradeep View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but the more I read about this 'game changer' the less I like.

    I still think the Pentax 645z is better except for the size part of it.

    What IS interesting is that this opens the door for Sony (and maybe Pentax) to come up with their own mirrorless offerings in the MF domain.
    Exactly my sentiments. I would hope that a Sony MF would be more open to use of non-native mount lenses and have a focal plane shutter, in addition to costing significantly less.
    Carl
    Gallery
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  14. #64
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,530
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    If you can make money as a professional with this camera, then more power to you. I was only speaking for myself, not others, so I used the expression "to me". I'm retired from my profession, but not retired from life. If you're lucky, you'll get there, too.

    Joe
    For me it would be a combined situation . This is a little limiting for everyday gigs I would still need at least some Sony gear. That's me though
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  15. #65
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    12,724
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    40

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Exactly my sentiments. I would hope that a Sony MF would be more open to use of non-native mount lenses and have a focal plane shutter, in addition to costing significantly less.
    The competition that Huylyss alluded to is guarnteed to be ugly looking compared to this beautiful X1D.

    I hope based on the A7R shutter experience, it will be quieter with minimal shutter shovk.

  16. #66
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,530
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Exactly my sentiments. I would hope that a Sony MF would be more open to use of non-native mount lenses and have a focal plane shutter, in addition to costing significantly less.
    This actually gives Sony a preview on this market before even going into production. This is actually a big advantage for them. They can design by comments made on feature sets and such look at the numbers and press the GO button.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  17. #67
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Little Rock AR
    Posts
    1,614
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    It's not been discussed if the new lenses are designed for the 30% crop factor i.e. Is the 45 really a 59mm? If you shoot wide this might present an issue it would for me. Even the 30mm would not be that wide if not designed around the crop factor.

    I know many don't care about this but just curious.

    Paul C

  18. #68
    Senior Member Quentin_Bargate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saffron Walden, UK
    Posts
    1,803
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    58

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    It's not been discussed if the new lenses are designed for the 30% crop factor i.e. Is the 45 really a 59mm? If you shoot wide this might present an issue it would for me. Even the 30mm would not be that wide if not designed around the crop factor.

    I know many don't care about this but just curious.

    Paul C
    The reality is that none of the pictures I have taken recently, and very few I am planning to take, would be possible with the X1D. 35mm high resolution cameras are now far too good to be brushed aside as a junior format option.
    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  19. #69
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    212
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    It's not been discussed if the new lenses are designed for the 30% crop factor i.e. Is the 45 really a 59mm? If you shoot wide this might present an issue it would for me. Even the 30mm would not be that wide if not designed around the crop factor.

    I know many don't care about this but just curious.

    Paul C
    I think it depends on your point of reference, but aren't you going the wrong way with crop factor? A 30mm on the X1D would be almost as wide as the 28mm HCD on existing backs with a 44x33mm sensor, which is pleeeeenty wide for me. In fact, if I get one, I'd probably use the 28mm HCD I already own with an adaptor instead of buying the 30mm.

  20. #70
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Czech Republic and Austria
    Posts
    284
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    47

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    This is not going to tempt me away from my S007 but the adoption of the Nikon flash system is a brilliant move. Just pair it with the AirTTL triggers and 2-3 Profoto B1/B2 heads and it's a very practical and capable studio and outdoor flash system. I wish Leica adopted the same approach.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  21. #71
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Oslo, Norway
    Posts
    46
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Looks like the MF version of Leica T. I don't like the iPhone-type of UI on cameras. And the finder is 2,4 MP against Leica SLs 4,4. THAT was a game changer, almost a year ago.
    Can you imagine holding up a MF camera in front of you like it was an iPhone?
    - ErlingMM

  22. #72
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Munich
    Posts
    774
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    why would a 45 be a 59 ? On that sensor the 45 should be close to a FF 55. Or a 35 in 36mm

  23. #73
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,531
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    It's not been discussed if the new lenses are designed for the 30% crop factor i.e. Is the 45 really a 59mm? If you shoot wide this might present an issue it would for me. Even the 30mm would not be that wide if not designed around the crop factor.

    I know many don't care about this but just curious.

    Paul C
    If not the focal length is the real (approximate) focal length then it would be the first(?) time a manufacturer doesn't provide the real focal length, small compacts excepted.

    Assume we like 4:3 format so we cut down 135 36x24 to 32x24, then the crop factor compared to 44x33 becomes 55/40=1.375 (otherwise it's 1.27)

    So the 45 is then 33mm 135 equivalent, the 90 is 66mm, and the upcoming 30mm is 22mm. It's a suitably wide widest angle I think, sure it's not enough for some architecture and some landscape, but the camera is supposed to focus on lightweight so it's a good trade-off.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  24. #74
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    113
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    I'm retired from my profession, but not retired from life. If you're lucky, you'll get there, too.
    Actually, if I am lucky I will never retire from my profession....;-)

    I'm out, too many doctors, lawyers, etc with enthusiast forum PHD's pretending to know exactly what this camera is about for me to deal with.

    See you all next year!
    Last edited by Ai_Print; 22nd June 2016 at 13:42.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  25. #75
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Little Rock AR
    Posts
    1,614
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    why would a 45 be a 59 ? On that sensor the 45 should be close to a FF 55. Or a 35 in 36mm
    I may have my math wrong, I was figuring as I would on the IQ250. The 250 has a 30% crop factor, thus a full frame MF 45mm lens, would have the respective focal of 58.5. One of main reasons I did not go with a 250 years ago.

    The sensor in the H1D is the same Sony sensor thus 1:3 over the "full frame" chips.

    Paul C

  26. #76
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Eads, Tennessee
    Posts
    834
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    The only reason to think that way is because the back was on a device that was designed for a larger sensor. So..... it becomes a crop sensor in that environment. But, in this environment its not a crop sensor but a sensor that is designed for that device with lenses designed to match the sensor dimensions. I think that 'crop factor' should be thrown out the door except to 'only' compare it to other sensor dimensions to match equivalent lens focal lengths.

    Victor

  27. #77
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    276
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by synn View Post
    They should start by suing the former CEO who thought such products were a good idea in the first place.
    They did

  28. #78
    Senior Member Joe Colson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    1,543
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    36

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by Ai_Print View Post
    Actually, if I am lucky I will never retire from my profession....;-)

    I'm out, too many doctors, lawyers, etc with enthusiast forum PHD's pretending to know exactly what this camera is about for me to deal with.

    See you all next year!
    Bye bye. We'll miss your expert insights. Some of us may actually know more about the current subject than you realize.

    Joe
    _________________________________
    Joe Colson Photography
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  29. #79
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    113
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    Bye bye. We'll miss your expert insights. Some of us may actually know more about the current subject than you realize.

    Joe
    I'm no expert, just a photographer who knows better that to judge a book by it's cover or in this case, it's released specs and then spread my "wealth" of knowledge around.

    It was only after actually using a CFV50c back that I knew it for me and bought it, if I had listened to many of the internet's Usual Suspects I would have never bothered.

    But here, I will contribute something before I leave:

    Name:  size.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  37.7 KB
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  30. #80
    Senior Member Quentin_Bargate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saffron Walden, UK
    Posts
    1,803
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    58

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by Ai_Print View Post
    Actually, if I am lucky I will never retire from my profession....;-)

    I'm out, too many doctors, lawyers, etc with enthusiast forum PHD's pretending to know exactly what this camera is about for me to deal with.

    See you all next year!
    The X1D has only been released today. We're all pretending to know what the camera is about. Or rather, work it out for ourselves.
    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer

  31. #81
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,530
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by Ai_Print View Post
    Actually, if I am lucky I will never retire from my profession....;-)

    I'm out, too many doctors, lawyers, etc with enthusiast forum PHD's pretending to know exactly what this camera is about for me to deal with.

    See you all next year!
    Really that is one pretty shitty comment. EVERYONE is entitled to there opinion be it right or wrong in your mind. Maybe you are thinking your at Dp review
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

  32. #82
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,530
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    The X1D has only been released today. We're all pretending to know what the camera is about. Or rather, work it out for ourselves.
    Exactly and not a damn thing wrong with that we all have the same data to go by and at the moments guess work, some knowledge of how Hassy may do things or just what we think may work. If we are wrong than we are wrong. BFD

    Now to Guy being a asshole because this is the **** that needs to stop TODAY. Look we are all even under the photography gods plan some are more experienced and some are not but we all are entitled to our views our life and how we view that life. We are here to share you don't want to share or be a jerk than excuse yourself for good. I have no love for jerks and you have no place here at GetDPI. Get along be polite, be nice and respect each other. Your in Guy, Jacks and Bobs house and those are the rules.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  33. #83
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    113
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Really that is one pretty shitty comment. EVERYONE is entitled to there opinion be it right or wrong in your mind. Maybe you are thinking your at Dp review
    Yep, it's why it is time for me to leave, you are better than me Guy, I could not do what you do in terms of dealing with the tech end of a forum like this, don't have the patience for it.

    All I know is that this company has taken a royal beating from people who could not shoot their way out of a card house with a fire hose and it makes me sick.

    I'll log out now and not be back so go ahead and celebrate folks!

  34. #84
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,530
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Now with that please carry on with the conversation as it is quite interesting folks different views. Thank you i had to be a Admin for a second there
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  35. #85
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,530
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by Ai_Print View Post
    Yep, it's why it is time for me to leave, you are better than me Guy, I could not do what you do in terms of dealing with the tech end of a forum like this, don't have the patience for it.

    All I know is that this company has taken a royal beating from people who could not shoot their way out of a card house with a fire hose and it makes me sick.

    I'll log out now and not be back so go ahead and celebrate folks!
    There is nothing to celebrate folks would like your opinion but you can't sit here and curse the folks that are learning that is simply not fair. If you are a experienced shooter like myself its a obligation to help in my mind not run away. But do what you will but you leaving no one is winning lets be clear about that.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  36. #86
    Senior Member Hulyss Bowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,016
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I taught 28 workshops with many of the members here as well and my gut feeling after all the DSLR cams we had and all the tech cam cool stuff we played with. If I had just one of these available we would have a tug a war on our hands on getting to use it. I know many attendees would have rather had something as simple as this to work with. Now take that case scenario outside the workshop environment than I know this would be the case no question about it. This is extremely interesting and it actually gives me a chance to sneak back in.

    I'm already working on getting a demo unit. I'm not stupid . Lol
    "Sapient" speaking. Many photographers I know have used and still use Mamyia 7 or 6. THIS is somehow the digital equivalent and many ppl are severely interested in it. At the time we speak the waiting list should be very long... For reportage, travellers, outdoor strobists, editors, archi ...
    Kind regards - Hulyss - hulyssbowman.com & LuSh
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  37. #87
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,530
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    There is nothing to celebrate folks would like your opinion but you can't sit here and curse the folks that are learning that is simply not fair. If you are a experienced shooter like myself its a obligation to help in my mind not run away. But do what you will but you leaving no one is winning lets be clear about that.
    We all have our bad days so lets move on. Sorry if I was rude too. My knee is the size of a watermelon. and been packed in ice for 5 days now. Im not happy. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  38. #88
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,530
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by Hulyss Bowman View Post
    "Sapient" speaking. Many photographers I know have used and still use Mamyia 7 or 6. THIS is somehow the digital equivalent and many ppl are severely interested in it. At the time we speak the waiting list should be very long... For reportage, travellers, outdoor strobists, editors, archi ...
    No question I can see this in many folks bags. Personally i would need to compliment it for work i do but heck i would love to have one for landscape work.

    Im in the camp of agreeing on a long waiting list already. No question. this hits a lot of folks bags in my mind
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  39. #89
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    12,724
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    40

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Would anyone address my question on that bag?

  40. #90
    Senior Member Hulyss Bowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,016
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    No question I can see this in many folks bags. Personally i would need to compliment it for work i do but heck i would love to have one for landscape work.

    Im in the camp of agreeing on a long waiting list already. No question. this hits a lot of folks bags in my mind
    Yes and imagine in few years on the second hand market ... This will sale like hot cakes. Ppl will not need to wait YEARS to sale their used MF gear.


    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Would anyone address my question on that bag?
    The Bag "might" be in a "kit" but probably not in all country. Same goes for the Nikon Df. If they mentioned it it is because they have some sort of agreement with Billingham and it is all about a niche market, prossumers. A pure MF maiden can now jump on MF without selling a kidney and will gain weight and IQ over his 35 mm gear. It is a total new approach of MF. When I got a H4D40 + 100/2 my first thinking was "damn ... it is more heavy than heavy".
    Kind regards - Hulyss - hulyssbowman.com & LuSh
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  41. #91
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,530
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Would anyone address my question on that bag?
    They didn't say separate they did say package though. So i think it comes with it. Last few minutes of the video they mention it.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  42. #92
    Senior Member Hulyss Bowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,016
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    They didn't say separate they did say package though. So i think it comes with it. Last few minutes of the video they mention it.
    Yes it might be the Rucksack series, one of the two

    Between...

    This is me and Sir Bargate :

    Kind regards - Hulyss - hulyssbowman.com & LuSh
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  43. #93
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas/California/North Carolina
    Posts
    2,774
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Would anyone address my question on that bag?
    It's a separate $350 Billingham bag. Expensive yes but not outrageously so in the luxury camera bag market.
    Priolite Ambassador | Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  44. #94
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    12,724
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    40

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    It's a separate $350 Billingham bag. Expensive yes but not outrageously so in the luxury camera bag market.
    Wow! A bit too rich for me.

    [What is a luxury camera bag? Would it carry itself? ]

    The camera alone is 9401 Euros (https://www.calumetphoto.de/category...-neuheiten&utm)

  45. #95
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    iiiNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Texas/California/North Carolina
    Posts
    2,774
    Post Thanks / Like

    Thumbs down Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I taught 28 workshops with many of the members here as well and my gut feeling after all the DSLR cams we had and all the tech cam cool stuff we played with. If I had just one of these available we would have a tug a war on our hands on getting to use it. I know many attendees would have rather had something as simple as this to work with. Now take that case scenario outside the workshop environment than I know this would be the case no question about it. This is extremely interesting and it actually gives me a chance to sneak back in.

    I'm already working on getting a demo unit. I'm not stupid . Lol
    i agree that this is a camera that I'd love to have but part of me wants to know more about it, see a lens roadmap, and see what Photokina brings. This is definitely a huge game changing move for Hasselblad.

    I this could have benefitted from a FPS or an electronic shutter (if one isn't present on here) because there are some V lenses like the 110/2 that would probably be really nice on the X1D. IBIS, True Focus or selectable focus points would've been nice as well. The 45 and 90 wouldn't be anymore limiting for me as when I'd take my Leica M9 out with a 35/75 combo. So for a travel camera for a photo trip this would be nice with something like an A7R2+70-300 mounted.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Wow! A bit too rich for me.

    [What is a luxury camera bag? Would it carry itself? ]
    A bag made with premium materials or craftsmanship... or the illusion of such. That being said I have a couple of ONA bags and wouldn't trade them for much else in a messenger style bag.
    Priolite Ambassador | Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

  46. #96
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    12,724
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    40

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    The two lenses appear to have quite a bit of distortions.

    Not sure if the mtf charts on the net are before or after the in camera corrections.

  47. #97
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    It's a separate $350 Billingham bag. Expensive yes but not outrageously so in the luxury camera bag market.
    Excellent handmade English craftsmanship, top notch quality and functional. I have 2 of them already 20 years or so and they last forever, also look good forever. still looking like new.

  48. #98
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    301
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    I just attended Hasselblad X1D launch in NYC,
    and got to handle the camera and ask questions.

    I'd say Hasselblad got it right. Congrats to their team.

    A couple tidbits:
    • camera shoots at 1.7 to 2.3 fps depending on ISO
    • battery is 3200 mAh (looks/functions similar to Leica S battery)
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  49. #99
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,529
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    The Hasselblad I have used the most over the years I've had Hassy gear is the SWC. I emulate it now with the Leica SL fitted with either Super-Elmar-R 15mm or Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm lenses, and the SL set to square format, netting a 16Mpixel square image with about the same FoV as the SWC ... and if I run my lenses wide open rather than at the usual f/8 to f/11 I run on the SWC, the DoF aligns pretty well too.

    The X1D's 44x33 mm 50Mpixel sensor says to me that I could get closer to an SWC with it by cropping square (33x33mm) for a ~37Mpixel image and fitting a 22mm lens. If and when I can get an X1D body plus that lens for $15000 (three times the price of my 903SWC in years past), it will be time to review what other equipment I'm willing to sell. :-)

    Beyond that, it looks like a very nice camera and I'd be delighted to work with it, but it's out of my reach financially for the present. Beyond that, the SL plus its 24-90 lens, plus my existing R lenses, suit my photography very well and I have little need to replace them.

    G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  50. #100
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    12,724
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    40

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by BJNY View Post
    I just attended Hasselblad X1D launch in NYC,
    and got to handle the camera and ask questions.

    I'd say Hasselblad got it right. Congrats to their team.

    A couple tidbits:
    • camera shoots at 1.7 to 2.3 fps depending on ISO
    • battery is 3200 mAh (looks/functions similar to Leica S battery)
    Is there an e shutter?

    Is there a "shoot without lens" possibility?
    Sale Items (http://www.getdpi.com/forum/gear-fs-...8806-sale.html)
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •