Site Sponsors
Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
Results 951 to 1,000 of 1457

Thread: Hasselblad X1D

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hasselblad X1D

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Fox View Post
    Already decided to pass on this one, but I think I might be tempted with the “X2D” if the specs are right and the glass line up has a few more options ..
    Eh? I just want one lens .. 22mm please. :-) That would make it worth it to me.

G

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bab View Post
    That is the fault in your reasoning. These products are not obsolete. I am still using an "obsolete" H4D-50. I am very pleased with it. For my kind of photography, its results are just as good as the ones from the X1D.
    Really?
    Yes, of course. The two cameras have exactly the same resolution, HC glass is at least as good as the new glass for the X1D (meaning: either one is close to perfect) and I don't need lots of dynamic range or higher speed than iso50.

Sure I am tempted by a newer, smaller camera, but that does not make my old camera obsolete...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wow!

This thread has revealed some surprising thoughts and ideas.

I suppose Hasselblad could have waited to announce this camera system until it was immediately available. However, if we consider the self inflicted beating they took over the Lunar, I'm sure they wanted to show they were back with fresh ideas and a modern direction to meet contemporary desires.

The impatience of some potential users certainly does indicate that photography is squarely in the computer mind-set, with what's next NOW being more important than what is in hand.

Phase, Hasselblad and Leica with the S system have all been slow to market with their systems at one time or another. How long did it take for the new Phase body? Leica launched the S2 with any lens you wanted as long as it was a 70 or 180mm, then took forever to get the CS lenses to market. At least they aren't like Sony with the flawed A7R which was denied, and has taken a long time to bring lenses to market able to make some use of the high meg count.

The big surprise for me is Peter A so taken with EVF. My buddy Irakly has a SL and I was disappointed in the VF (maybe due to heightened expectations) ... but since Pete loves it, I'm going to ask to try it again.

I do wish I were in a position to indulge in this new kit ...

= Marc
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If I'm going to pay the bucks and cop the switch out of what I already shoot factor - the very least I would expect to see is viewfinder excellence eg the viewing experience I get with my existing Leica S for example the Hasselblad H system or the Phase One XF - as for shipping dates - they will be what they will be - my view as a potential buyer doesn't see the shipping date announcement as a positive, nor am I bound by my previous view which saw me already pay a large deposit. I'm no rush now...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Wow!

This thread has revealed some surprising thoughts and ideas.

I suppose Hasselblad could have waited to announce this camera system until it was immediately available. However, if we consider the self inflicted beating they took over the Lunar, I'm sure they wanted to show they were back with fresh ideas and a modern direction to meet contemporary desires.

The impatience of some potential users certainly does indicate that photography is squarely in the computer mind-set, with what's next NOW being more important than what is in hand.

Phase, Hasselblad and Leica with the S system have all been slow to market with their systems at one time or another. How long did it take for the new Phase body? Leica launched the S2 with any lens you wanted as long as it was a 70 or 180mm, then took forever to get the CS lenses to market. At least they aren't like Sony with the flawed A7R which was denied, and has taken a long time to bring lenses to market able to make some use of the high meg count.

The big surprise for me is Peter A so taken with EVF. My buddy Irakly has a SL and I was disappointed in the VF (maybe due to heightened expectations) ... but since Pete loves it, I'm going to ask to try it again.

I do wish I were in a position to indulge in this new kit ...

= Marc
    Marc - you know how it is - if something comes out which is really good - we immediately wish for even more..

The Sl; has set the benchmark ( for now) regarding the combination of dimension/magnification/clarity so it makes it possible for me to use the camera settings/histogram/live what the chips sees view - easily. It is the first camera I have used that has made me change my shooting and compositional style - it is a lot of fun just for that alone- one final thing- the Nocti+SL combination is a marriage made in heaven.

Having said that Sony for example delivers buckets and buckets loads of functionality and even is superior in some important aspects - but the viewfinder is too dim for me. I cant really get into ti with this camera - not the camera's fault obviously.

Maybe magification factor being larger than 35mm might make up for lower resolution - it w
    It will be in the eye of the beholder to judge for themselves.

Maybe we can swap notes on the SL Marc on PM if you like.

-Pete

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Fuji cam is rumored to be announced soon with two primes and a zoom.

If that comes with a focal plane shutter it would makes things difficult for X1D.
    Sale Items (http://www.getdpi.com/forum/gear-fs-...8806-sale.html)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post

If that comes with a focal plane shutter it would makes things difficult for X1D.
    So now, vaporware is shooting down the X1D.

Greg

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BANKER1 View Post
    So now, vaporware is shooting down the X1D.
    Impatience costs a lot.

G

Post Thanks / Like

Well, since the X1D doesn't exist yet technically either (there is not one aspect that Hasselblad employees, Masters or reviewers could comment on for sure, since it was still pre-production) it would be silly to make a big decision like that in the weeks before Photokina. It sure looks like a very appealing package, but if a very similar camera came out soon with a shutter built in, I would definetely wait a little. Plus, if Sony for instance does announce an MF camera, you might be able to get your hands on that sooner than an X1D, usually they announce cameras quite late and who knows how big the first batch of X1Ds is, Sony or Fuji is probably able to produce cameras quicker than Hasselblad, which is a relatively small company that probably can only hire more people if the camera is a success.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post

...and as a fuji it will probably have a working firmware not like the hand made in sweden camera assembled from asian components.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JeRuFo View Post
    Well, since the X1D doesn't exist yet technically either (there is not one aspect that Hasselblad employees, Masters or reviewers could comment on for sure, since it was still pre-production) it would be silly to make a big decision like that in the weeks before Photokina. It sure looks like a very appealing package, but if a very similar camera came out soon with a shutter built in, I would definetely wait a little. Plus, if Sony for instance does announce an MF camera, you might be able to get your hands on that sooner than an X1D, usually they announce cameras quite late and who knows how big the first batch of X1Ds is, Sony or Fuji is probably able to produce cameras quicker than Hasselblad, which is a relatively small company that probably can only hire more people if the camera is a success.
    The one I held in my hand existed and was quite impressive! But, as a prudent man, I am waiting until after Photokina and until the final firmware exists, before pulling the trigger. And, the prank Sony isn't ever vaporware.

Greg
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sony or Fuji is probably able to produce cameras quicker than Hasselblad, which is a relatively small company that probably can only hire more people if the camera is a success.
    yes but one would think that when you have to do almost no engineering on the hardware side you hire enough developers to get the firmware ready when you announce your camera.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no doubt that the X1D will be impressive. But since you can't actually buy it yet, it is no wonder that people start comparing it to rumoured cameras, that may well be announced soon and perhaps have more features or better lens options.

I hope everything will work out well for Hasselblad, because it probably could kill them if it doesn't. But this delay may prove pretty costly. If they really could have started shipping late august as they said, I think most people that pre-ordered would have bought too. But if shipping only starts around or after Photokina, quite a few people might cancel their orders.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I have no doubt that the X1D will be impressive. But since you can't actually buy it yet, it is no wonder that people start comparing it to rumoured cameras, that may well be announced soon and perhaps have more features or better lens options.

I hope everything will work out well for Hasselblad, because it probably could kill them if it doesn't. But this delay may prove pretty costly. If they really could have started shipping late august as they said, I think most people that pre-ordered would have bought too. But if shipping only starts around or after Photokina, quite a few people might cancel their orders.
    I'm not sure why everyone is so worried about Hasselblad. It seems to me that the people who will jump from system to system based on what the latest and greatest new announcement might be don't constitute much of a user base, no matter how much gear you sell them. They might be your customer today and be gone tomorrow anyway.

Produce the best equipment you can, at the performance that you announce and that people expect, and develop it thoroughly over time. That's what I want from a manufacturer. I don't always need bleeding edge feature stuff; I mostly use about 30% of my cameras' features anyway. I want consistency, quality, reliability, and good performance in the things that are significant to me.

The equipment I buy now is all long-term purchase intent, for however long I manage to last. Give me a solid piece of hardware and develop it over time with lenses, firmware updates, and good service ... I'll be your customer for a long long time.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

i thought the x1d will be the camera to revitalize my hc lenses but now 3 month after the announcement it seems the HC adapter does also not exist. i have more and more doubts that the x1d will be a camera which is usable in a pro environment in the foreseeable future.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CSP View Post
    i thought the x1d will be the camera to revitalize my hc lenses but now 3 month after the announcement it seems the HC adapter does also not exist. i have more and more doubts that the x1d will be a camera which is usable in a pro environment in the foreseeable future.
    2 months.

Relax man. The X1D will come. There is conspiracy. There are no aliens mind-controlling anyone. Just a two week delay.
    http://www.elundqvist.photo
    twitter: @erik_lundqvist
    instagram: elundqvist.photo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Lundqvist View Post
    2 months.

Relax man. The X1D will come. There is conspiracy. There are no aliens mind-controlling anyone. Just a two week delay.
    sure this is not a conspiracy it is simple the normal bs business which mf is famous for.

Post Thanks / Like

No, it's not anything abnormal. But it is kind of sad that it isn't. My view is that if you cater to professionals you should communicate clearly what is going on. Missing a deadline can happen, but it is not right that people still don't know if they will get their unit in two weeks or not and that all information has to come from a dealer who doesn't really know for sure either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No, it's not anything abnormal. But it is kind of sad that it isn't. My view is that if you cater to professionals you should communicate clearly what is going on. Missing a deadline can happen, but it is not right that people still don't know if they will get their unit in two weeks or not and that all information has to come from a dealer who doesn't really know for sure either.
    Two weeks isn't much. However I suspect it might be a bit longer. I was booked in for a demo next tuesday in London and just got an email from Hasselblad saying that the demo would be with a pre-production camera and not with the finished product which was originally anticipated. So at least for next tuesday Hasselblad doesn't have a fully finished camera to show.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

What all these delays, etc, really point out, given that it is endemic to all the medium format camera brands, is how difficult it is to develop these machines and meet all the expectations construed by the high prices and assumed performance to be gained therefrom.

I would not want to be a camera manufacturer at all in today's marketplace. Between the insistent "now now now, more, better, now, and cheaper!" demands, the often conflicting (and complex!) needs and desires, the distraction of everyone wanting to know every detail of your business at every moment—and then criticizing it constantly, combined with the intense difficulties posed by the development and manufacturing process and limited profitability... Whew, who wants all that stress and anxiety?

Given the collapsing profitability of the camera manufacturing business in the past several years, I think we should all be appreciative that these manufacturers have hung in there at all. And encourage them to do diligence, make the products excel as the announcements suggest, so that the cameras really are worth the the time to develop and the price they have to charge for them.

A little time and patience is in order. Nobody is dying because their X1D won't be delivered tomorrow.

G
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    What all these delays, etc, really point out, given that it is endemic to all the medium format camera brands, is how difficult it is to develop these machines and meet all the expectations construed by the high prices and assumed performance to be gained therefrom.

I would not want to be a camera manufacturer at all in today's marketplace. Between the insistent "now now now, more, better, now, and cheaper!" demands, the often conflicting (and complex!) needs and desires, the distraction of everyone wanting to know every detail of your business at every moment—and then criticizing it constantly, combined with the intense difficulties posed by the development and manufacturing process and limited profitability... Whew, who wants all that stress and anxiety?

Given the collapsing profitability of the camera manufacturing business in the past several years, I think we should all be appreciative that these manufacturers have hung in there at all. And encourage them to do diligence, make the products excel as the announcements suggest, so that the cameras really are worth the the time to develop and the price they have to charge for them.

A little time and patience is in order. Nobody is dying because their X1D won't be delivered tomorrow.

G
    hm maybe they simply need to obey good business practice like most of my colleagues in this business do which means donīt lie to your clients, donīt make promises you can not fulfill and meet your deadlines. it is astonishing for me that many here think this arrogant behavior is ok.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

hm maybe they simply need to obey good business practice like most of my colleagues in this business do which means donīt lie to your clients, donīt make promises you can not fulfill and meet your deadlines. it is astonishing for me that many here think this arrogant behavior is ok.
    Can't disagree a whole lot. It is not OK to behave in this manner just because all others in MFD do. Communication is absolutely necessary to maintain good rapport with your clientele. In my business career, I could not have been successful treating my clients in this manner. However, missing a deadline occasionally is not the end of the world, but missing every one is not acceptable.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pflower View Post
    Two weeks isn't much. However I suspect it might be a bit longer. I was booked in for a demo next tuesday in London and just got an email from Hasselblad saying that the demo would be with a pre-production camera and not with the finished product which was originally anticipated. So at least for next tuesday Hasselblad doesn't have a fully finished camera to show.
    I'm booked in for two next week in London, but I doubt I will see a finished X1D as it will be before the 15th.

Of course I am disappointed by this, but then again I don't really mind waiting to see what happens at Photokina anyway.

Personally I'd rather see Hasselblad fully focused on polishing their products instead of hand holding a bunch of needy photographers. Makes me chuckle when I see the rage in this thread. Someone even said that Hasselblad has been lying. Ludicrous. I'd like to meet a person who has never been late or missed a promise themselves. I'm sure there is a saying about casting stones here or something similar which seems appropriate here.

Anyone else going to the Classic Camera Store on the 6th btw for their X1D demo?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

How many of your colleagues are in the high-end camera system development and manufacturing business?

I don't see any lies in what Hasselblad has said or done. I see only development and production delays. Since I've worked for a hardware manufacturer for a couple of decades, it is perfectly reasonable to me ... I cannot tell you how many times development and production delays have impacted the products (both hardware AND software) that were actually released to the public.

Patience. Let go of the rage and the desire to cast blame because you're frustrated. **** happens; I'm quite sure Hasselblad would rather that it didn't, but it does anyway.

G
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Mate, some people need to chill out and smell the roses!

Post Thanks / Like

Well said, tjv and Godfrey.

These things happen. That said, Hasselblad could provide additional information (via social media) updating the situation with finalization and shipping of the X1D.

If there are "professionals" out there who have ordered the X1D and feel that they are losing money because of the delay, then let this be a lesson - no professional should have planned on having the X1D with such a tight time line before things became critical. This goes for any new product, but doubly so a product which is the first in a new line.

So that leaves "enthusiasts" - The X1D will hopefully be a source of pride and an excellent camera for many years to come. A delay of a few weeks is neither here nor there over this time frame. It would be better if it could be delivered on time, but that is not happening. So sit tight and wait for a wonderful camera to be finalised and manufactured.

... On a different tack, I currently use a 500C/M with a CFV-50c digital back. My interest in the X1Q is partly a case of love at first sight - it is a gorgeous design. But beyond that, there are a number of technical features that make it attractive. However, I have a clear understanding that I don't NEED the X1D, it would be just nice to have it. Logic tells me that I should wait for the X2D which would likely be a far superior product that would correct any shortcomings in the X1D. By the time that an X2D would be ready, the range of native lenses would be greatly expanded, making it a more versatile camera. I will be just fine with my 500C/M and CFV-50c until then.

I am familiar with the 50MP sensor in the X1D (as it is more or less the same as the sensor in the CFV-50c), so I know that it will have wonderful resolution and color. That said, the features that excite me with the X1D relative to where I am now (in no special order) ...

* Video as an option.
    * Two extra high ISO options (12800 and 25600).
    * Dual card slots.
    * A touch display.
    * Live view.
    * USB 3 connectivity.
    * Wi-Fi.
    * GPS
    * An extended maximum bulb shutter time of 60 minutes (up from 34 minutes).
    * Optional autofocus.
    * Reduced "bulk".
    * Weatherproofing.

I hope that the above serves to re-direct the discussion back to the subject of photography (rather than business and marketing) and the more positive aspects of this new line of Hasselblad cameras.

:-) ... MomentsForZen (Richard)
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

If it is hard to be a high-end camera maker these days, it must be harder still to be a professional photographer!

The world has become impatient and unforgiving, where instant gratification rules, no wonder 'Instagram' is so popular. The very word summarizes society today.

"Promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep.........."
    Too much to list, let's just say I have a bad case of GAS.........

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MomentsForZen View Post

These things happen. That said, Hasselblad could provide additional information (via social media) updating the situation with finalization and shipping of the X1D.

If there are "professionals" out there who have ordered the X1D and feel that they are losing money because of the delay, then let this be a lesson - no professional should have planned on having the X1D with such a tight time line before things became critical. This goes for any new product, but doubly so a product which is the first in a new line.

So that leaves "enthusiasts" - ..
    That's partly true. Ofcourse you shouldn't plan to be able to use a new camera that tightly. On the other hand, I have a friend with an X1D on order who plans to do some travelling from December and wants to bring the smallest kit possible, a digital for when he doesn't want to carry his LF camera. He was excited about the first lens choices and although he would probably add a 30 and a normal and tele lens later to complete his kit, he probably wouldn't bring them on his travels anyway. If delivery would be late august/early september that would leave him a few months to get to know it by bringing it along every now and then. But now he doesn't know anymore if he gets it soon and if he'll have enough time to do serious testing at all and if he wouldn't be better off getting to know another travel camera and if he should let 4:3 go and just shoot an easy to find 3:2. It's not about being mad, but things would just be easier if you could know which season you could plan on being able to use the camera system. If you're busy it's nice if you can just decide once and get on with other things.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by godfrey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by csp View Post
    hm maybe they simply need to obey good business practice like most of my colleagues in this business do which means donīt lie to your clients, donīt make promises you can not fulfill and meet your deadlines. It is astonishing for me that many here think this arrogant behavior is ok.
    how many of your colleagues are in the high-end camera system development and manufacturing business?
    :rotfl:

Post Thanks / Like

What does it mean when Hasselblad says their chips are Sony certified and Phase 1 aren't?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MomentsForZen View Post

So that leaves "enthusiasts" - The X1D will hopefully be a source of pride and an excellent camera for many years to come. A delay of a few weeks is neither here nor there over this time frame. It would be better if it could be delivered on time, but that is not happening. So sit tight and wait for a wonderful camera to be finalised and manufactured.

... On a different tack, I currently use a 500C/M with a CFV-50c digital back. My interest in the X1Q is partly a case of love at first sight - it is a gorgeous design. But beyond that, there are a number of technical features that make it attractive. However, I have a clear understanding that I don't NEED the X1D, it would be just nice to have it. Logic tells me that I should wait for the X2D which would likely be a far superior product that would correct any shortcomings in the X1D. By the time that an X2D would be ready, the range of native lenses would be greatly expanded, making it a more versatile camera. I will be just fine with my 500C/M and CFV-50c until then.

I am familiar with the 50MP sensor in the X1D (as it is more or less the same as the sensor in the CFV-50c), so I know that it will have wonderful resolution and color. That said, the features that excite me with the X1D relative to where I am now (in no special order) ...

* Video as an option.
    * Two extra high ISO options (12800 and 25600).
    * Dual card slots.
    * A touch display.
    * Live view.
    * USB 3 connectivity.
    * Wi-Fi.
    * GPS
    * An extended maximum bulb shutter time of 60 minutes (up from 34 minutes).
    * Optional autofocus.
    * Reduced "bulk".
    * Weatherproofing.

I hope that the above serves to re-direct the discussion back to the subject of photography (rather than business and marketing) and the more positive aspects of this new line of Hasselblad cameras.

:-) ... MomentsForZen (Richard)
    So we agree all of the features add to the chip, camera body and lenses which in turn have an impact on your workflow. At this point film and a manual camera with enough effort could produce the same results as digital but the glory of digital streamlined our workflow, gave us a preview of the image and eliminated the wet darkroom and hours of trial and error procedures. That means a new camera or a new body with the same chip or a new chip has to offer features to get old customers buy new products. And when a new camera is 32,000.00 wouldn't you like to know before you buy that camera for $32,000.00 that your not relying on the manufactures promise to add the features you want at a later date with a firmware update leaving you stuck with a depreciating asset.
    So it's easy to understand when past experience has proved firmware updates from any camera manufacture (with maybe the exception of Fuji as of recently) are dear. Especially Leica and Hasselblad.
    Look at Hasselblad's web site as of yesterday the 50c and 100c are reported being shipped not sure true or not but the cameras specifications still have areas of TBD. I know they been on holiday and there oversold if you didn't pre order your out of luck till 2017!
    And as far as the X2D I don't even want to wait in line for a movie ticket at my age, or a table in a resturant let alone till 2019 for a X2D. But there is only so many X1D's available and much more customer demand so the features aren't really needed!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

... If you're busy it's nice if you can just decide once and get on with other things.
    Um, on new, bleeding-edge products: I always just decide once and put in an order. When the product arrives, it arrives. I have orders in on two products that have been in development for over a year; they'll show up eventually. Nothing to rush about, they're just cameras.

Either I wait for them or I cancel the order. Done that with a couple of products, notably an MM246. Glad I did ... I used that money to buy the SL. :-)

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

So we agree ... your not relying on the manufactures promise to add the features you want at a later date with a firmware update leaving you stuck with a depreciating asset. ...
    I don't quite follow all of your logic, but "Buy a camera based on what it does, not what it might do in the future." For sure. And X2D ...? Why bother speculating until there's enough experience with the X1D first?

And aren't you happy that Hasselblad is not releasing the X1D with unfinished firmware so that it actually does everything they've said it would do?

In my experience, Leica and Olympus have both gone beyond expectations with the Olympus E-M1 and Leica SL firmware development. Olympus in particular has released four major fw updates for the E-M1, each delivering useful new features that were not expected. I've never had Hasselblad digital products so can't evaluate their fw update performance. \\

G

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of complaints about a 30-45 day delay between the original shipment date and September 15. Let's compare the reaction if Fuji shows a mock up of a medium format mirrorless body at Photokina for delivery "sometime" in 2017.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    Lots of complaints about a 30-45 day delay between the original shipment date and September 15. Let's compare the reaction if Fuji shows a mock up of a medium format mirrorless body at Photokina for delivery "sometime" in 2017.
    We all know what the sensor is. It is the same sensor as in the H6D-50c, the same sensor as in the CFV-50c and (I haven't actually checked this but assume it is true) in the H5D-50c. So we know what the pictures are _likely_ to look like unless Hasselblad have completely screwed it up. I have a CFV-50c and am very happy with what it produces. So unless Hasselblad has screwed it up I know what I am likely to get. What is clearly being a problem is how the body works or doesn't. Personally I grew up on manual focus cameras with separate rings for aperture and shutter speed and required an external light meter to determine exposure. We've all seen the UI for the H6D and now know it is pretty well implemented and that the same UI is on the X1D. Auto focus and an internal light meter are to be welcomed. I have no idea how complicated all of this is but it is so far beyond my pay grade I am not going to speculate. When it arrives I will use it for things that I can't do with the Hx- series of cameras. One of the persistent complaints about the H6D-50 is that the spirit level is missing. If that is a problem then go somewhere else. There are lots of cameras which you can purchase with next day delivery off the shelf in a huge number of on-line and actual camera stores that will make very good pictures. The X1D isn't going to make all of them obsolete overnight - so if you don't like the delay just go out and buy something else.. Personally I have ordered and would like mine to arrive tomorrow but if it doesn't - and it won't - it is not going to be the end of my life and I am not going to spend my time worrying about it. In fact I am going out tomorrow with my hopelessly obsolete and useless H3D-39 to make photographs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This thread kind of veered off into what is perceived as spoiled children who whine because they cannot wait for their next toy. For me, however, the subject is more about the way MFD customers are treated by the camera manufacturers. Cameras announced with initial delivery dates are always delayed and delayed without so much as a word from the manufacturers. To me, it isn't about the delays (that we all can endure), but more about respect afforded the people who lay out multi-thousands of dollars for their products. In today's age of electronic communication, the manufacturers have a myriad of ways to communicate with their customers. A single mention on Facebook about the commencement of deliveries of the H6D100 seemed a little terse to me. Knowing the anticipation for this product exhibited on this and other forums, shouldn't Hasselblad have, at least, announced it on their website as well as many other electronic outlets? The only thing I can imagine is that it is possibly a regional mentality in that part of the world that we can't understand in the United States. As a banker for 42 years the only thing we had to offer was service. All banks have the same products, so the only difference between us and the other guy was the level of service we offered. So, for the MFD manufacturers to treat their customers so "seemingly" uncaring, is foreign to me. A simple explanation that, for instance, they were working to make sure the firmware was as perfect as they could make it before release would have been welcomed.

In my area, large building projects would go on ad infinitum if the owners did not say, "We are moving in on so and so date, so you better be finished by then." I have a feeling that the camera manufacturers don't have the courage to say that, so the engineers soldier on seeking perfection. When my son was in college he always told me about the law of diminishing returns and the work it takes getting from a B to an A. That last 1% sometimes takes more effort than the previous 99%, so can't we just settle for 99.9%. This may also be true for trivial features that are really only icing on the cake. I guess what it boils down to is respect for your customers.

Greg
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BANKER1 View Post
    For me, however, the subject is more about the way MFD customers are treated by the camera manufacturers. Cameras announced with initial delivery dates are always delayed and delayed without so much as a word from the manufacturers.
    Greg
    maybe the reason is that this companies are more dedicated to please the money people which keep them alive than their customers. hasselblad for example had a very good partner network for repairs in germany but they killed it so now everthings has to go to sweden, guess what is the result ?

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone can miss a deadline, hell, I've done it myself more than once.

What I find puzzling is that Hasselblad can introduce such an exciting camera and yet miss or overlook the importance of a simple cabled release.
    http://www.keithlaban.co.uk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KeithL View Post

What I find puzzling is that Hasselblad can introduce such an exciting camera and yet miss or overlook the importance of a simple cabled release.
    Feel free to press the shutter through your phone or other device. It has Wi-Fi.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeJ View Post
    Feel free to press the shutter through your phone or other device. It has Wi-Fi.
    Thanks, but no thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, but no thanks.
    The result will be exactly the same. If it's feeling in pressing a cable release button you want, perhaps look into an Alpa instead?

Post Thanks / Like

this camera is not made for enthusiastic photographers amateurs or pros it is made for the rich where a h6 is to large for the small trunks of their porsche and ferraris. not having a cable release is a
    minor issue but not having a working hc lens adapter ready is telling.

Post Thanks / Like

this camera is not made for enthusiastic photographers amateurs or pros it is made for the rich where a h6 is to large for the small trunks of their porsche and ferraris. not having a cable release is a
    Thanks for reminding me. I have to buy a new ferrari to color coordinate with my X1D.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The photographer who is doing some work for me making pics of a property I am selling drives a C4S. He fits his whole kit into one carry case that fits perfectly in the front compartment of his Porsche.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Funny that the X1D is one of the least expensive MFD cameras ...

G

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Funny that the X1D is one of the least expensive MFD cameras ...

G

of course it can not be so expensive the x1d does not have this extravagant design and luxury materials which hasselblad was famous for in the past years.......

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

of course it can not be so expensive the x1d does not have this extravagant design and luxury materials which hasselblad was famous for in the past years.......
    I think you missed my point ...

Aside from that, the fact is that an EVF/LCD imaging system allows for a great simplification of the body's mechanicals, since there's no need for the complexity of the swinging reflex mirror. But there's no evidence that Hasselblad is building the X1D to any less an "extravagant design and luxury material" standard than they did any of their other modern cameras. The early demo prototypes I held and played with when I saw the camera back around the announcement date were beautifully finished using very nice materials. They were every bit as nicely finished as the Leica SL, which is beautifully extravagant and made of luxury materials (real metal everywhere...).

G

Post Thanks / Like

Oh I should cancel my order then...

Why do you say there is no HC adaptor? The one I saw was working according to the product manager. I'll email and tell him he's wrong.

I can also tell him to cancel the question that was put to R&D about a wired cable release if you like.
    www.nick-t.com
    http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff buying the X1D with two lenses is a small investment and a no brainer, buying a 100 MP system that's not fully functional from P1, H or L is another story. These companies need to listen to their users and give them the features that they need when the features are reasonable on the higher end products they are offering. Firmware updates are a joke, it's marketing BS, firmware updates fixing bugs are important but firmware updates that are promises from past experience rarely are delivered.
    My recent experience from P1 with the 100MP was nothing short of terrific. Ordered and received it in less than 4 weeks along with XF and a bunch of blue lenses. Sure seemed to work right out of the box and have only seen one FW update which made little or no difference to me. Have been on 3 longish trips with it and the images just keep coming. The rendering puts it in a very different category than the Pentax 50MP, which it should. Combined with C1 it is a very complete package.