Just in time for the Fuji announcement

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hasselblad X1D

Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    Make mine square .....

http://www.hasselblad.com/press/pres...116-collection

Finally ...

Bob
    Concept or not, that is a camera to get excited about.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Lundqvist View Post
    Just in time for the Fuji announcement
    Perhaps, but I'd not buy a Fuji. My experience with their digital cameras was not particularly thrilling; I have more confidence in Hasselblad now that we're past the Lunar era. ;-)

G

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just received this from the regional Hasselblad rep:

Were excited to inform you that the H6D-100c is shipping and Dealers are beginning to receive their X1D-50c demo units. Please contact me for an Authorized Hasselblad Dealers in your area, offering value-added service and pricing competitive to online stores.
    First batch of the X1D-50c will be demo units for reps, dealers and "ambassadors".

Speaking of sexy, this is definitely cool:

To commemorate Hasselblad's 75 years at the pinnacle of photography we proudly introduce the X1D-50c 4116 Edition – a special all-black compact mirrorless digital medium format X1D camera body with extended warranty, a leather hand strap, and an XCD 45mm lens, all in a unique ‘4116 edition’ box – www.hasselblad.com/x-system/x1d-50c-4116-edition

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Perhaps, but I'd not buy a Fuji. My experience with their digital cameras was not particularly thrilling; I have more confidence in Hasselblad now that we're past the Lunar era. ;-)

G
    I own 3 Fuji cameras and I have never had any other cameras. Part of the appeal of the Hasselblad is that it is not a Fuji. If that makes sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post

First batch of the X1D-50c will be demo units for reps, dealers and "ambassadors".
    I hope you are right. Really want to see some reviews and get my hands on a actual production demo unit.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Lundqvist View Post
    I own 3 Fuji cameras and I have never had any other cameras. Part of the appeal of the Hasselblad is that it is not a Fuji. If that makes sense.

- - - Updated - - -

I hope you are right. Really want to see some reviews and get my hands on a actual production demo unit.
    I got the same email, Joe and I are both in the Southeast US and share the same rep I think. Hasselblads social media also posted today that the first batch of cameras left the factory....shouldn't be long now

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrew View Post
    Concept or not, that is a camera to get excited about.
    Looks a bit like the Phase One aerial 100MP cameras.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of sexy, this is definitely cool:

I received the same email but I believe the closest dealer from the RDU area is in DC, Charlotte, or Atlanta.
    Priolite Ambassador | Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Well, after anxiously waiting for and finally watching Fuji's announcement,
    then gathering all of the info about their entry into medium format,
    Hasselblad's leaf shutter lenses still make it the most useful and desirable
    option for me. I was frankly shocked and disappointed that Fuji chose to forgo
    leaf shutter options in the lens line up.
    Looking forward to other XCD lenses to round
    out the line up.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

* The first production models of the X1D-50c are scheduled to be going to dealers, representatives and artisans. Surely, paying customers should come first in a proper service-oriented and high-end business?

* It is amusing that a 4116 edition X1D-50c is announced ... when the plain, original model would be a "special edition" at this point in time. A special edition when we don't even have the normal edition?

* The concept camera shows the body as a combined digital back and mirror module. Is this unnecessarily restrictive in the design (i.e., not allowing for upgrades in the digital back)? Does it say anywhere in the announcement that it will have an "X" lens mount on it?

:-) MomentsForZen (Richard)

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MomentsForZen View Post
    Does it say anywhere in the announcement that it will have an "X" lens mount on it?

:-) MomentsForZen (Richard)
    X 45 is pictured on the camera ... and it is rumored that the sensor is the 100MP ... image circle of the X lenses gives you a crop 75 square.

Bob

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

rickgrainger wrote--->>> "I was frankly shocked and disappointed that Fuji chose to forgo
    leaf shutter options in the lens line up."<<<

I wonder if thats a future option for them if they feel the need (substatial requests) and market for them arises?

Dave (D&A)
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I don't think demand for LS is very high, else everyone would have options. it seems that is a MF thing that most photographer can do without. I don't doubt the benefits are real.

On the other hand, I haver never seen an MFD shooter in real life, I know they exist but they are rare.

Best regards
    Erik

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    rickgrainger wrote--->>> "I was frankly shocked and disappointed that Fuji chose to forgo
    leaf shutter options in the lens line up."<<<

I wonder if thats a future option for them if they feel the need (substatial requests) and market for them arises?

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder why Ming Thein'a review hasn't appeared yet. I sort of supposed it would be published when the camera shipped...

Post Thanks / Like

I keep looking but I assume that he will not rush this .... however a few more pictures would hold us over.

Bob
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE
    * It is amusing that a 4116 edition X1D-50c is announced ... when the plain, original model would be a "special edition" at this point in time. A special edition when we don't even have the normal edition?
    [/QUOTE]

it makes sense when you are i the luxury camera business and i would not be surprised to read the announcement of a burberry or louis vuitton edition before the camera actually ships to customers....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ErikKaffehr View Post
    Hi,

I don't think demand for LS is very high
    true, but the web gives things a certain spin....

Post Thanks / Like

The black looks good but essentially you are paying for an additional 1 year warranty ... total of three over the price of the X1D-50C and 45 lens which carries a two year warranty.

I personally would do it ... probably will if the delivery time is not very delayed from the silver.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone used to MF and strobes will not consider a camera that does not have at least a couple of LS lenses.

I used to shoot my H3D - 39 II with mirror up relying on the LS at ridiculously slow shutter speeds in marginal light and got sharp sharp
    images .... could not do that with the Leica S2-P S006 as the FP shutter is always active.

Hasselblad H3D 50-110 HC @ 90 0.7sec exposure

Usually use a monopod but FP shutter does not work at those speeds unless on tripod.

One of the attractions for me is the LS.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    I wonder why Ming Thein'a review hasn't appeared yet. I sort of supposed it would be published when the camera shipped...
    Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    I keep looking but I assume that he will not rush this .... however a few more pictures would hold us over.

Bob
    And I'm wondering why we don't have any hands-on reports from the Photokina floor. Someone visiting the booth must have held and briefly used a production demo camera. I'd guess that Ming has (or had) one to review and we'll see his report soon. "Nick-T" (Nick Tresidder) may also be on the early-adopter list.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

The Facebook post from Hasselblad that mentioned shipping now showed 6 cameras ... hope they had more on the way.

The way folks keep irritating Nick he may not rush to post here ....

Just saying.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CSP View Post
    [QUOTE
    it makes sense when you are i the luxury camera business and i would not be surprised to read the announcement of a burberry or louis vuitton edition before the camera actually ships to customers....[/QUOTE]

You and the science experiment/internet information regurgitator guy need to get over it. That's yesterday's news. Try to add something useful to the discussion. There are many photographers who are intrigued by the X1D as a serious tool to make photographs.
    hcubell
    www.howardcubell.com

Post Thanks / Like

I'm holding out for the 6x6 75MP camera.

Post Thanks / Like

And I'm wondering why we don't have any hands-on reports from the Photokina floor. Someone visiting the booth must have held and briefly used a production demo camera. I'd guess that Ming has (or had) one to review and we'll see his report soon. "Nick-T" (Nick Tresidder) may also be on the early-adopter list.

Joe
    Hmmm interesting point. I'd also think they'd have a demo model on the floor at Photokina.

I put in my order yesterday for the body and 45mm...hopefully my wait isn't too long. I thought about waiting and ordering the 4116 version (the black and extra warranty are nice) but decided to go for the grey and the $$ savings. The grey does look nice, it's darker in person than it appears.
    -Todd

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    I'm holding out for the 6x6 75MP camera.
    Build your lens set with the X1D and then use it as a backup to the 6x6.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

One of the X1D reports yesterday suggested that the first shipment of production cameras was going to dealers and reps as demo's; and to ambassadors. So Ming probably hasn't yet received his.

And if the communique from Sweden is to be taken literally - they are only just shipping out - then even the demo model(s) at Photokina are probably still the pre-prod units.

The good news is that we should be hearing reports of what the final camera is like very soon.

Post Thanks / Like

As far as I know, Ming returned his demo camera a while ago as they needed to make hardware changes and has not used one since.

I will be at Photokina and Hasselblad tomorrow and I've been told they have units with production firmware and users can shoot on their own SD cards and take the images with them.

I will let you know my thoughts on the camera's operation as opposed to the version with the early and almost unusable firmware I tried on the demo unit two weeks ago in London.

Best Regards,

ACG
    www.acuitycolorgrain.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jager View Post
    One of the X1D reports yesterday suggested that the first shipment of production cameras was going to dealers and reps as demo's; and to ambassadors. So Ming probably hasn't yet received his.

And if the communique from Sweden is to be taken literally - they are only just shipping out - then even the demo model(s) at Photokina are probably still the pre-prod units.

The good news is that we should be hearing reports of what the final camera is like very soon.
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

https://youtu.be/MfLt6DV4ooM

Best Regards,

ACG
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My biggest impression from the video is how "friendly" the size is.

Post Thanks / Like

And we can adapt all sorts of lenses to it.

What a joke.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

I agree - and think Hasselblad has a more interesting and appropriate take on medium format mirrorless than Fuji - more portable.

While I understand Fuji's desire to build out a whole system - more as a Phase One or H series replacement - I'm surprised they didn't start out with a medium format X100 style camera - now that would have been interesting and a much more competitive sell against the Hasselblad (and a more unique offering in the market).

The blogosphere has been talking about Hasselblad X1D pre-orders getting cancelled since the Fuji announcement but I just don't see it. What I think the Fuji largely kills is the Pentax 645 (and challenges P1 and Hasselblad H), not Hasselblad mirrorless.

Best Regards,

ACG

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    My biggest impression from the video is how "friendly" the size is.
    - - - Updated - - -

Just to be clear, what I was agreeing to was the "small size" comment above, not the "joke" comment. I responded to the wrong post!

Best Regards,

ACG

Quote Originally Posted by Greenaa View Post
    I agree - and think Hasselblad has a more interesting and appropriate take on medium format mirrorless than Fuji - more portable.

While I understand Fuji's desire to build out a whole system - more as a Phase One or H series replacement - I'm surprised they didn't start out with a medium format X100 style camera - now that would have been interesting and a much more competitive sell against the Hasselblad (and a more unique offering in the market).

The blogosphere has been talking about Hasselblad X1D pre-orders getting cancelled since the Fuji announcement but I just don't see it. What I think the Fuji largely kills is the Pentax 645 (and challenges P1 and Hasselblad H), not Hasselblad mirrorless.

Best Regards,

ACG

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just a small update. I now have seen it twice at a demo and yesterday at photokina. Certainly a lot of good steps forward. My problem is the evf. It's a current deal breaker. Probably not for many others as it really is a nice camera and feels great in your hands. However, for me it just not the thing to look trough a evf in that quality. I know even the SL one can't compete with a real MF OVF.

What I mich prefer on the SL is not only resolution, far more the fast refresh rate. And here I don't see any wonders happening with the X1 it's just a fact it's harder to read out 50Mp at high speed compared to 24...

All in all a great camera and if I could use my LS Phase lenses I would probably buy it. Let's see what happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Can you elaborate of focus speed, accuracy etc? Also, did you look through the Fuji EVF, or are they essentially under lock and key? Is so, what was it like?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Just a small update. I now have seen it twice at a demo and yesterday at photokina. Certainly a lot of good steps forward. My problem is the evf. It's a current deal breaker. Probably not for many others as it really is a nice camera and feels great in your hands. However, for me it just not the thing to look trough a evf in that quality. I know even the SL one can't compete with a real MF OVF.

What I mich prefer on the SL is not only resolution, far more the fast refresh rate. And here I don't see any wonders happening with the X1 it's just a fact it's harder to read out 50Mp at high speed compared to 24...

All in all a great camera and if I could use my LS Phase lenses I would probably buy it. Let's see what happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Just a small update. I now have seen it twice at a demo and yesterday at photokina. Certainly a lot of good steps forward. My problem is the evf. It's a current deal breaker.
    the form factor is not the most important feature which will decide if the x1d will be a success or not but evf / af performance and handling will. maybe hasselblad was ill advised to show this camera so early because they entered this field without any experience in opposite to fuji. now it looks more like an unfinished me too product. they sure will improve performance with time but that is not what many but especially pros expect in 2016. but who knows and this is on purpose so that the x1d does not get to attractive over their more expansive offerings, in any case this is a great mistake imho the same as not to make it useable for v users. they missed a great opportunity and now the have a competitor which will be compatible with the hc and v line lenses and metabones and others are sure pleased to make a resurrection call to all those retired mamiya, contax, lenses... i also would not be surprised when zeiss decides to offer mf lenses for fuji mount in the coming years too.

Post Thanks / Like

You're on a different planet from me. When you buy the Fuji, let us know how it works out for your needs. You've been very vocal in a negative sense about every, single aspect of this camera, from early announcement and slightly delayed delivery, to lack of FPS and whatever else. Maybe it's time to celebrate what else has been announed that might suit you instead?

If AF performance and speed is acceptable, I personally see the X1D as a more viable replacement to my Mamiya 7 than the Fuji. The Fuji is too big for what I want, and I've never liked their other APS-C cameras in the past (which doesn't nesessarily mean I wouldn't like the GFX.) I couldn't care less about adapting lenses or putting it on a view camera; I have my Credo for that. I don't generally like EVF in any current flavour, but could live with one as good as the Sony A7R (both resolution AND refresh rate.) If the X1D doesn't meet that, then it's not my cup of coffee. All things taken as they're presented so far though, I think I'll probably get one at some point. Just get the 30mm and 45mm lenses and call it a day. Would also like a 65mm though!

the form factor is not the most important feature which will decide if the x1d will be a success or not but evf / af performance and handling will. maybe hasselblad was ill advised to show this camera so early because they entered this field without any experience in opposite to fuji. now it looks more like an unfinished me too product. they sure will improve performance with time but that is not what many but especially pros expect in 2016. but who knows and this is on purpose so that the x1d does not get to attractive over their more expansive offerings, in any case this is a great mistake imho the same as not to make it useable for v users. they missed a great opportunity and now the have a competitor which will be compatible with the hc and v line lenses and metabones and others are sure pleased to make a resurrection call to all those retired mamiya, contax, lenses... i also would not be surprised when zeiss decides to offer mf lenses for fuji mount in the coming years too.

Post Thanks / Like

For anyone interested, X1D Raw files here: HR_X1D.zip • Droplr

Feels good in the hand - EVF a bit slow when used Raw + Jpg but much faster with Raw Only.
    Last edited by vsbhk; 22nd September 2016 at 22:37.

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried it on 'Kina' on Tuesday too and actually enjoyed the EVF pretty much. Off course, nothing beats an OVF as in the current and former H lines, but I found the accuracy and speed of AF quite ok. I have used on the past couple of years Fuji's X-100 EVF-OVF and believe the one from X1D is much better than the one from X-100. Although i cannot compare it to the Leica.

In live view with the touch LCD it is quite nice to quickly double tap on the spot where one wish to have the focus and the activating the AF. Changing the AF point with current production models is not yet effective but was promised to be updated by new firmware release.

Auto ISO is there but did not really work very well. It seemed to me some missing user entering possibility (similar to Nikon's approach to limit e.g. slowest shutter speed whereafter the ISO is increased automatically).

The new 30 mm lens is nice and quite small, but I guess the HC 28 with the adapter (which was on display) will do the job also quite nice. It was confirmed full exposure metering and AF functions with newer HC/HCD lenses. No tripod mount on the adapter yet, next version will come with (I am just thinking now that I will eventually try to mount myself an Arca plate on this adapter by just screwing and threading a 1/4 inch hole...)

Back button AF with manual focus setting on the shutter release works well, which is important to my habits of shooting.

AND it comes also with the yellow-golden shutter release button.... http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/images/smilies/wink.png

I am definitely holding on to my early order and waiting for delivery within the next 2 weeks as it was promised.
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I tried the X1D at Photokina this morning, some thoughts:

- the hardware - camera body and lenses - are beautifully designed and beautifully executed. Real quality.

- the firmware is woefully inadequate at this stage, i had several conversations with the X1D design team and they know what needs to be improved and are working at it, this will be key. While EVF blackout is much improved, there is still nothing AF-wise besides center point autofocus, no division of labor between the EVF and LCD (can't set LCD for menu or playback only) and overall it still seems very much like beta firmware. I don't doubt the image quality is there, but usability is definitely not.

While I generally hate EVFs (I am a Leica M user), the EVF doesn't bother me so much, it's really the only way to get a medium format that you can carry easily and shoot with one hand.

I understand that demo cameras will be shipping for the next 2-3 weeks with pre-orders beginning to be filled around mid-October. This gives them a bit of time for
    More firmware upgrades, but for the moment it's a leap of faith to buy with that firmware.

That being said, Hasselblad should be commended for an incredibly compact, quality feel mirrorless medium format, clearly the best designed piece of hardware at the show. Compared to the Hasselblad, the Fuji looks like a Franken-camera.

Best Regards,

ACG

Quote Originally Posted by jvpictures View Post
    I have tried it on 'Kina' on Tuesday too and actually enjoyed the EVF pretty much. Off course, nothing beats an OVF as in the current and former H lines, but I found the accuracy and speed of AF quite ok. I have used on the past couple of years Fuji's X-100 EVF-OVF and believe the one from X1D is much better than the one from X-100. Although i cannot compare it to the Leica.

In live view with the touch LCD it is quite nice to quickly double tap on the spot where one wish to have the focus and the activating the AF. Changing the AF point with current production models is not yet effective but was promised to be updated by new firmware release.

Auto ISO is there but did not really work very well. It seemed to me some missing user entering possibility (similar to Nikon's approach to limit e.g. slowest shutter speed whereafter the ISO is increased automatically).

The new 30 mm lens is nice and quite small, but I guess the HC 28 with the adapter (which was on display) will do the job also quite nice. It was confirmed full exposure metering and AF functions with newer HC/HCD lenses. No tripod mount on the adapter yet, next version will come with (I am just thinking now that I will eventually try to mount myself an Arca plate on this adapter by just screwing and threading a 1/4 inch hole...)

Back button AF with manual focus setting on the shutter release works well, which is important to my habits of shooting.

AND it comes also with the yellow-golden shutter release button.... http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/images/smilies/wink.png

I am definitely holding on to my early order and waiting for delivery within the next 2 weeks as it was promised.
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks both for your reports. Seems like good and bad news at this stage, at least with regards to the firmware.

Any news on focus peaking or other focus aids? Wired remote?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing incorporated yet.

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    Thanks both for your reports. Seems like good and bad news at this stage, at least with regards to the firmware.

Any news on focus peaking or other focus aids? Wired remote?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

To those who tried it at 'kina...how was the temperature/heat of the camera in operation? The one I played with at the preview event got noticeably very warm, which is a possible cause for concern. The rep was very quick to point out that this was something they were working on as I wasn't the only one there that commented on it.

I also wish they'd announce pricing/availability of the 30mm. I don't know whether to hold on to my 28mm HCD and use it with an adapter or go ahead and sell it for the 30mm. The 28mm would work just fine with the adapter I'm assuming, but the 30mm XCD is a little faster (could be beneficial for astrophotography) and obviously more compact. The 77mm filter thread of the 30mm I'd also prefer to the 95mm thread of the 28mm as I could use 100mm ND filters more comfortably (compared to the 165mm filters I'm currently using on the 28mm and 35-90mm). It's also a shame the first version of the XH adapter will lack a tripod mount. Idk whether to go ahead and order one or hold out for V2, although I imagine for the short term I'll go ahead and order one (and figure out a lens support solution with a rail on the tripod) so I can use my 28mm and 35-90mm with the X1D.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

https://youtu.be/1Eth_CPBnsI

Liked this video. Just photographs. :-)

G

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    Can you elaborate of focus speed, accuracy etc? Also, did you look through the Fuji EVF, or are they essentially under lock and key? Is so, what was it like?
    I read the Fuji EVF is 3.69.

Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully they can tweak the firmware to improve the heat situation. I was at MPEX a number of weeks ago and there was a Hasselblad rep there with a pre-production X1D. I love the size and feel of the camera but I wasn't able to do much shooting with it since it was crashing/shutting down due to overheatin. The weather was fairly warm... over 30 degrees (80ish in fahrenheit-speak I think) and quite humid, which most likely contributed to the situation. As warm as it was, I would still expect a camera to work in those conditions.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I forgot to mention - this morning I was told by the Hasselblad rep working the booth that they would release five new XCD lenses - comprised of both primes and zooms - in 2017.

They seem to consider this lens mount their (mirrorless) future.

Best Regards,

ACG

Quote Originally Posted by Greenaa View Post
    I tried the X1D at Photokina this morning, some thoughts:

- the hardware - camera body and lenses - are beautifully designed and beautifully executed. Real quality.

- the firmware is woefully inadequate at this stage, i had several conversations with the X1D design team and they know what needs to be improved and are working at it, this will be key. While EVF blackout is much improved, there is still nothing AF-wise besides center point autofocus, no division of labor between the EVF and LCD (can't set LCD for menu or playback only) and overall it still seems very much like beta firmware. I don't doubt the image quality is there, but usability is definitely not.

While I generally hate EVFs (I am a Leica M user), the EVF doesn't bother me so much, it's really the only way to get a medium format that you can carry easily and shoot with one hand.

I understand that demo cameras will be shipping for the next 2-3 weeks with pre-orders beginning to be filled around mid-October. This gives them a bit of time for
    More firmware upgrades, but for the moment it's a leap of faith to buy with that firmware.

That being said, Hasselblad should be commended for an incredibly compact, quality feel mirrorless medium format, clearly the best designed piece of hardware at the show. Compared to the Hasselblad, the Fuji looks like a Franken-camera.

Best Regards,

ACG

Post Thanks / Like

in any case this is a great mistake imho the same as not to make it useable for v users. they missed a great opportunity and now the have a competitor which will be compatible with the hc and v line lenses and metabones and others are sure pleased to make a resurrection call to all those retired mamiya, contax, lenses... i also would not be surprised when zeiss decides to offer mf lenses for fuji mount in the coming years too.
    If there had been a migration path from the V series (even adapter stacking), I would have ordered one already.