Site Sponsors
Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
Results 1,151 to 1,200 of 1457

Thread: Hasselblad X1D

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hasselblad X1D

Some reports state that the Fuji EVF is 60fps at approx 4mpx resolution, which is impressive. I understand that the X1D is approx 2.6mpx at 30fps, is this correct?

Resolution is important, but fluid movement is perhaps more important to me. Looking forward to hearing more user reports as each camera starts to ship, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sog1927 View Post
    If there had been a migration path from the V series (even adapter stacking), I would have ordered one already.
    The Hasselblad rep that I spoke with thinks that although it isn't "officially supported" yet, he saw no reason why the CF adaptor for the H system wouldn't work on the H adaptor for the X1D.

Post Thanks / Like

Stacking the two adapters together around $2K) would be a nice alternative but I recall that Hassy folks initially said it would not work not work. Another question for the experts!

Post Thanks / Like

Unboxing here:

http://petapixel.com/2016/09/23/watc...-x1d-unboxing/

So they have shipped at least one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roger65 View Post
    Unboxing here:

http://petapixel.com/2016/09/23/watc...-x1d-unboxing/

So they have shipped at least one.
    Haha, I came here to post this too! You bet me to it.

Post Thanks / Like

"The 30mm lens will be available very shortly, probably when the first X1Ds are delivered to customers. It’s one of the best Hasselblad lenses ever. The price is 3300 Euros."

http://www.photographyblog.com/news/...ew_hasselblad/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pre-order from B&H for $3,995 USD

I want one!

Post Thanks / Like

Quick question for those of you have handled the X1D. The specs shows a shutter speed range from 60 minutes to 1/2000s. Does this mean that the bulb limit is 60 minutes and T mode is 30s and shorter like most cameras? Or is the timed shutter speed adjustable up to 60 minutes? I do a bunch of long exposure work and would love to have built in timed long exposures. Thanks, Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bluenose View Post
    Quick question for those of you have handled the X1D. The specs shows a shutter speed range from 60 minutes to 1/2000s. Does this mean that the bulb limit is 60 minutes and T mode is 30s and shorter like most cameras? Or is the timed shutter speed adjustable up to 60 minutes? I do a bunch of long exposure work and would love to have built in timed long exposures. Thanks, Bill
    I am not even sure there is a B or T mode. You simply just select the shutter speed which goes from 1/2000s to 60 minutes. I could be totally wrong, but I did ask a Hasselblad rep about this and she was not able to answer me and then distracted me with the app. When doing a long time exposure B is really handle to CANCEL your exposure if it goes pear shaped, which is why I asked in the first place.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the quick answer Erik. So you were able to actually see a shutter speed longer than 30s? This is a feature I would use all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Lundqvist View Post
    I am not even sure there is a B or T mode. You simply just select the shutter speed which goes from 1/2000s to 60 minutes. I could be totally wrong, but I did ask a Hasselblad rep about this and she was not able to answer me and then distracted me with the app. When doing a long time exposure B is really handle to CANCEL your exposure if it goes pear shaped, which is why I asked in the first place.

Post Thanks / Like

Bluenose

I see you use the Sony a7r2. Are in for a different look that MF might give? Are you a bit displeased with the a7r2? Will you keep both systems?

I know it's personal, but those questions came to mind.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    Pre-order from B&H for $3,995 USD

I want one!
    That 30mm could sure be a well used lens if I owned the system.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I like that 30mm ... If I were to buy an X1D, I might buy just the body and that lens. (I'd still prefer a 22mm ... :-)

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    Bluenose

I see you use the Sony a7r2. Are in for a different look that MF might give? Are you a bit displeased with the a7r2? Will you keep both systems?

I know it's personal, but those questions came to mind.

- - - Updated - - -

That 30mm could sure be a well used lens if I owned the system.
    I moved to the Sony A7 system due entirely to the quality of the sensor, mostly dynamic range. And instantly bumped up to the A7R2 when it became available. Where as I quite like the quality of the files and the images it produces, I kind of hate using the camera. I would be interested in the X1D as a replacement for my Sony full frame system but would keep my a6300 and a few lenses for my real estate work and telephoto needs.
    Web: Bill Evans Photography

Facebook: @BillEvansPhotography

Post Thanks / Like

Got to test one at the Kina. It is a sexy beast, very compact. Gorgeous screen, and very nice grip.

I also got told that 5 new lenses will be announced in 2017, they are very committed to this system. I was surprised the EVF takes about half a second to start, when you put your eye into the viewfinder. Perhaps it will be fixed in firmware.

No support for Hassi V. I asked about stacking adapters, but still, they said they won't support the V.

Hassi H lens adapter will be manual focus only at first, and then a firmware update of the camera will transmit a firmware update of the H lenses to enable AF on them. No estimate yet as to how much worse (if at all) the H lens AF with adapter will be compared to native lenses.

One tidbit of info about long exposures I got was that the X1D is not making dark frames all, ever. The Hassi representative said very proudly they don't need one, and that it will be a *very* good camera for long exposures...

All in all, I like it, but will wait to see how the system evolves, and how the Fuji looks like (it was behind glass, could not try it).
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miska View Post
    Got to test one at the Kina. It is a sexy beast, very compact. Gorgeous screen, and very nice grip.

I also got told that 5 new lenses will be announced in 2017, they are very committed to this system. I was surprised the EVF takes about half a second to start, when you put your eye into the viewfinder. Perhaps it will be fixed in firmware.

No support for Hassi V. I asked about stacking adapters, but still, they said they won't support the V.

Hassi H lens adapter will be manual focus only at first, and then a firmware update of the camera will transmit a firmware update of the H lenses to enable AF on them. No estimate yet as to how much worse (if at all) the H lens AF with adapter will be compared to native lenses.

One tidbit of info about long exposures I got was that the X1D is not making dark frames all, ever. The Hassi representative said very proudly they don't need one, and that it will be a *very* good camera for long exposures...

All in all, I like it, but will wait to see how the system evolves, and how the Fuji looks like (it was behind glass, could not try it).
    Wow! If they have long exposure color noise under control without a dark frame AND internal long exposure shutter speeds this will be one tempting camera for a long exposure junkies, like me.

Post Thanks / Like

That 30mm does look great. I also want one but I was hoping the price would come in closer to $3k than $4k. For now, I think I'm going to stick with the 28mm HCD and try that with the adapter first. I'm working on arranging a demo with my rep to test long exposures, and if I can, I'll try and do some tests with the 30mm XCD vs 28mm HCD + XH adapter.

FYI regarding the X1D and dark frames for long exposure, the H series doesn't use dark frames either. Given one of their main competitors to the H series only allows one to disable dark frames in certain scenarios (ie on a tech cam), I'm surprised Hasselblad marketing doesn't play this up more as it seems a lot of people are aware of this advantage of Hasselblads for long exposures

Post Thanks / Like

the main reason i don´t takte the X1D is that i cannot use it on an actus or such viewcameras... i test it at photokina - great nice stylish tool - but for professional work i need more felxibility - like a MF back.

okay there is also the h6d50c out now .. but actually there are too many earthquakes on this market to spend so much money on this kind of photography tool.... I´ll wait for the first Fuji GFX tests and its flexibility.
    [ no picture ]
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I like that 30mm ... If I were to buy an X1D, I might buy just the body and that lens. (I'd still prefer a 22mm ... :-)

G
    Make that +1 although the price for the 30mm is quite steep.

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gmfotografie View Post
    the main reason i don´t takte the X1D is that i cannot use it on an actus or such viewcameras... i test it at photokina - great nice stylish tool - but for professional work i need more felxibility - like a MF back.

okay there is also the h6d50c out now .. but actually there are too many earthquakes on this market to spend so much money on this kind of photography tool.... I´ll wait for the first Fuji GFX tests and its flexibility.
    If the Actus is important then you need an alternative solution like a MFDB.

I keep trying to convince myself that the X1D isn't for me but the 30/45/90 lens combo with a travel friendly package is very appealing. I just have to hear about production experiences vs buying on demo/blind faith.
    Ylem ...

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW...Spoke with Fotocare in NYC on Friday. They received their production demo camera and confirm that there are still some software bugs, however usability is good. They said customers can come in with memory cards to save images and review later.

Indicated that their shipment of customer cameras is in route and is expected to arrive in about a week.

Derek

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if there is a work around to make adapter stacking possible? Having access to the 80mm and longer Hassy V Lenses might be a nice despite the absence of automatic features like focusing, metering, aperture control, etc. Once the equipment is on the shelf we should know more. Based upon the pricing of the 30mm, it looks like the new X1D Lenses will not be bargain priced!

Post Thanks / Like

I keep trying to convince myself that the X1D isn't for me but the 30/45/90 lens combo with a travel friendly package is very appealing. I just have to hear about production experiences vs buying on demo/blind faith.

Your Range Rover is just too large to carry such a "travel friendly package". I suggest you check with Ken regarding a more appropriate smaller car upgrade!
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotophil View Post
    Your Range Rover is just too large to carry such a "travel friendly package". I suggest you check with Ken regarding a more appropriate smaller car upgrade!
    Heck, with the body and a 3 lens setup, we could all be driving the Smart.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Heck might have after buying in a system. Lol
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

G
    I'm with Godfrey on this: buy the 30mm only and effectively you've got a full-frame (ish) 50mp Rx1R II (but with a more useful focal length, for me) at a weight of 1.275 Kg - which is very attractive - and weatherproof, and lets you add another lens such as the 90mm if as and when you hit the studio or are able to travel less lightly.

That's a little over twice the weight of the Rx1RII but still very very light for what you're getting.

Of course, by my calculations you're only getting and extra 1.7" print size on the long end (if you print at 180 dpi, which many here would consider too low a resolution) but you will be getting fatter pixels and I expect more DR and colour depth.
    Last edited by tashley; 25th September 2016 at 10:09.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    I'm with Godfrey on this: buy the 30mm only and effectively you've got a full-frame (ish) 50mp Rx1R II at a weight of 1.275 Kg - which is very attractive - and weatherproof, and lets you add another lens such as the 90mm if as and when you hit the studio or are able to travel less lightly.
    I am curious, Tim, about the source of your information about the X1D being "weatherproof." I am very focused on that issue as I just returned from a 10 day photo workshop in Iceland and my medium format camera/back (Hasselblad H2/IQ 180) failed yet again. The screen on the Phase back went on the blink first, and then the H2 stopped working altogether after 3 days. As usual, the weather conditions in Iceland were not warm, sunny and dry with low winds. There was rain and wind, but I did my best to shield the camera from the rain. There were 7 other photographers shooting with me using Nikon equipment and Hasselblad V systems. They did little if anything to shield their cameras from the rain, yet their cameras just kept on working. This is not the first time that I have run into these reliability issues with a range of medium format digital gear, and ALWAYS in remote locations. Hasselblad H3D-39, H2s, Phase P65+ and Phase IQ 180. Completely unacceptable. I don't work in a studio.

Post Thanks / Like

I am looking at the ELB 400 Twin Action Kit to go with my new X1D. Should let me take advantage of the leaf shutter lens as the Action heads has a flash duration of 1/2800s at full power. What do you guys think?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jan View Post
    Make that +1 although the price for the 30mm is quite steep.
    Well, it's about the same as the second-hand WATE I purchased recently. High end lenses are never inexpensive.

G

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    I am curious, Tim, about the source of your information about the X1D being "weatherproof." I am very focused on that issue as I just returned from a 10 day photo workshop in Iceland and my medium format camera/back (Hasselblad H2/IQ 180) failed yet again. The screen on the Phase back went on the blink first, and then the H2 stopped working altogether after 3 days. As usual, the weather conditions in Iceland were not warm, sunny and dry with low winds. There was rain and wind, but I did my best to shield the camera from the rain. There were 7 other photographers shooting with me using Nikon equipment and Hasselblad V systems. They did little if anything to shield their cameras from the rain, yet their cameras just kept on working. This is not the first time that I have run into these reliability issues with a range of medium format digital gear, and ALWAYS in remote locations. Hasselblad H3D-39, H2s, Phase P65+ and Phase IQ 180. Completely unacceptable. I don't work in a studio.
    When I handled the X1 at Photokina I asked if there was any weather protection. The guy told me there was not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    When I handled the X1 at Photokina I asked if there was any weather protection. The guy told me there was not.
    Pretty much every article on the X1D mentions it is weather sealed, even the web shops mentions this. Cannot actually find it on the Hasselblad website though.

Post Thanks / Like

I read in Ming's 'Early Shooting Impressions piece that "A note on weather sealing: every port is tightly gasketed, and the lenses require some effort to mount/unmount because the gasket fits so tightly against the mount. I would be far more confident in inclement weather with this than the H (too many components, no seals other than tightness of fit between them)"

Post Thanks / Like

I read in Ming's 'Early Shooting Impressions piece that "A note on weather sealing: every port is tightly gasketed, and the lenses require some effort to mount/unmount because the gasket fits so tightly against the mount. I would be far more confident in inclement weather with this than the H (too many components, no seals other than tightness of fit between them)"
    Thanks. That sounds promising. After my earlier post, I did find a reference in the Hasselblad press release to the X1D camera body being dust and weather resistant. In theory, it should be more weather resistant than the Fuji GFX as the latter has a removable EVF and many dials and buttons.

Post Thanks / Like

I do not think many dials and buttons necessarily make a camera less weather capable.

I recall recently shooting in a driving rain storm with the rain coming in sideways and I was using the 645Z. One camera failed and all others were desperately attempting to cover their gear instead of shooting. I did not really cover the 645Z since I knew it was sealed in like 75 places on the body and 10 or 12 places on the lens in addition to a huge o-ring seal around the lens mount. No problems with it and I got the shot.

When I handled the H1D and looked at the lenses I do not recall an o-ring seal around either of the two lenses available at the time. Perhaps they have upgraded the package.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

It seems that Pentax cameras have weather proofing quite a bit above what is normal.

Lensrentals handles and repairs tens of thousands of cameras and lenses each year and they are not that impressed by weather proofing in general, but clearly some are better than others.

Best regards
    Erik

I do not think many dials and buttons necessarily make a camera less weather capable.

I recall recently shooting in a driving rain storm with the rain coming in sideways and I was using the 645Z. One camera failed and all others were desperately attempting to cover their gear instead of shooting. I did not really cover the 645Z since I knew it was sealed in like 75 places on the body and 10 or 12 places on the lens in addition to a huge o-ring seal around the lens mount. No problems with it and I got the shot.

When I handled the H1D and looked at the lenses I do not recall an o-ring seal around either of the two lenses available at the time. Perhaps they have upgraded the package.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Lundqvist View Post
    Pretty much every article on the X1D mentions it is weather sealed, even the web shops mentions this. Cannot actually find it on the Hasselblad website though.
    You never know, it was just one person at the Hasselblad booth I spoke to, so maybe he was not well informed. By the way I really liked how compact the camera is and how it feels in hand. (A little like Mamiya 6 IMO). Its hard to judge the EVF from looking though it in artificial light of Photokina trade show. If I wasnt commited to the S-system allready I would definatly check the X1 out.
    Last edited by Paratom; 26th September 2016 at 05:11.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. That sounds promising. After my earlier post, I did find a reference in the Hasselblad press release to the X1D camera body being dust and weather resistant. In theory, it should be more weather resistant than the Fuji GFX as the latter has a removable EVF and many dials and buttons.
    If I was going to bet on a weather resistant design, I would go with Fuji as they have been building such for years in their current APS C cameras and lenses. This will be Hasselblads first weather resistant system that I am aware of.

Paul C

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    If I was going to bet on a weather resistant design, I would go with Fuji as they have been building such for years in their current APS C cameras and lenses. This will be Hasselblads first weather resistant system that I am aware of.

Paul C
    I agree. Fuji also refers to the GFX lenses as being weather resistant, and Hasselblad does not explicitly refer to the lenses as well as the body. On the other hand, I very much prefer the form factor of the X1D. For me, if all other things are basically equal, I would go with the smaller and lighter system. That is paramount for my needs. My days of schlepping around 30 pounds of gear on a hike are over.

I think both the Fuji GFX and the X1D will have excellent lenses and be very capable systems. Comparing them is inevitable, but they really are two great choices. If I were on the board of directors of Phase One, I would be asking management why they were asleep at the switch. I suspect that their dealers are wondering the same thing.
    hcubell
    www.howardcubell.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

At approx. 0:50 a Hasselblad rep is saying that the X1D is "weather sealed":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na3b5PJIJSQ

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Not doubting, just saying it's a first and it will be most interesting to see. I am still waiting to see what the heat situation will be as plenty of reports from Kina mentioned the body getting warm, and warm means noise.

But no matter what Hasselblad states, this is my definition for water sealing, Pentax has understood this for a long time.

Paul C

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pentax K1water.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	320.9 KB 
ID:	121400

Post Thanks / Like

I've just ordered mine - twin lens kit, 10% deposit.

I will report back...
    Last edited by tashley; 26th September 2016 at 13:46.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paul2660 View Post
    But no matter what Hasselblad states, this is my definition for water sealing, Pentax has understood this for a long time.

Name:	Pentax K1water.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	320.9 KB 
ID:	121400
    Yikes!!! That's radical sensor cleaning.

I've just ordered mine - ten lens kit, 10% deposit.

I will report back...
    "ten lens kit" WTF? I'd settle for two.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

One of Hasselblad's early press releases stated that the X1D was "dust and weather proof."

Hasselblad announces groundbreaking X1D
    The world’s first compact mirrorless digital medium format camera
    Hasselblad is proud to introduce the groundbreaking X1D – weighing less than half that of a conventional digital medium format camera, the mirrorless 50MP camera is a game changer in the world of photography.

Inspired by the brand’s iconic design heritage, the camera is ergonomic and compact, offering a handling experience unlike any other. Handmade in Sweden, the X1D combines Scandinavian sensibility with beautiful performance.

Like the iconic V System, the X1D seamlessly combines portability with excellent optical quality for which the brand is renowned. Hasselblad has ingeniously introduced mirrorless technology to digital medium format for the first time ever, creating a precision performance camera that can sit in the palm of your hand. The 50MP CMOS sensor captures the finest details with true natural colours.

Commenting on the announcement Perry Oosting, Hasselblad CEO noted: “The X1D marks a pivotal point in Hasselblad’s rich 75-year history. This camera makes medium format photography available to a new generation of Hasselblad users, while pushing the existing limits of photography to new heights.”

A completely new family of dedicated autofocus lenses has been developed to support optical quality and portability, offering a wide range of shutter speeds and full flash synchronisation up to 1/2000th second.

Weighing just 725g and including HD video, Wi-Fi and built-in GPS, the X1D is a trusted partner and ideal travel companion. The robust exterior is dust and weather proof, providing durability to take with you wherever you go.

The X1D has been created with passionate photographers in mind, opening up Hasselblad to a new generation of creatives. Ideal for those who want to create the highest quality medium format images with a straightforward and easy to use camera that can fit in the palm of your hand.

The Hasselblad X1D is priced at 7,900 EUR / 8,995 USD / 5,990 GBP
    Prices stated are exclusive of VAT

https://www.dpreview.com/news/198872...ad-unveils-x1d

Post Thanks / Like

If weather sealing is your thing or concern, Pentax seems tried and true and pretty tough to beat in this regard. Some of you probably have seen it already, but this video with the 645z makes me cringe (speaks pretty highly of Pentax's weather proofing though):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSpg...ature=youtu.be

There are plenty of weather-proofing reports of the X1D as others have mentioned. I had trouble opening the memory card and port doors on the camera so assumed there had to be some seals in there. Mounting/dismounting the lens was also met with some resistance like what Ming Thein said, suggesting additional weather sealing.

Post Thanks / Like

https://youtu.be/Eo61t5fH6Qw

Quote Originally Posted by tcdeveau View Post
    If weather sealing is your thing or concern, Pentax seems tried and true and pretty tough to beat in this regard. Some of you probably have seen it already, but this video with the 645z makes me cringe (speaks pretty highly of Pentax's weather proofing though):

There are plenty of weather-proofing reports of the X1D as others have mentioned. I had trouble opening the memory card and port doors on the camera so assumed there had to be some seals in there. Mounting/dismounting the lens was also met with some resistance like what Ming Thein said, suggesting additional weather sealing.

Post Thanks / Like

It is very clear if you remove a lens there should be a substantial o-ring on the lens. Can someone confirm this?

Post Thanks / Like

It is very clear if you remove a lens there should be a substantial o-ring on the lens. Can someone confirm this?

Name:	IMG_1534.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	209.0 KB 
ID:	121406

I was honestly too excited to play with the camera at the preview event to pay that close attention, and it was pretty hectic with all the other photographers waiting around to try it out. There's a pic of the back of an xcd lens from dpreview. It does look like there is an outer o-ring as it protudes towards the screen from the screw mount as you can see in the top right but maybe I'm wrong.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well, it's about the same as the second-hand WATE I purchased recently. High end lenses are never inexpensive.

G
    True, the wider the angle the steeper the price tag. I was just hoping for a more decent price.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The X1D is definitely weather sealed.

G

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bluenose View Post
    Thanks for the quick answer Erik. So you were able to actually see a shutter speed longer than 30s? This is a feature I would use all the time.
    I assume X1D works similar to H5Ds: there is no 30 second limit as with Sony et al. Auto or manual exposure may select any time up to 60 minutes.

I hope X1D implements the same EVF/LCD interaction as Leica SL (the best approach IMO): EVF on always, LCD active for menu and image review only.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	IMG_1534.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	209.0 KB 
ID:	121406

I was honestly too excited to play with the camera at the preview event to pay that close attention, and it was pretty hectic with all the other photographers waiting around to try it out. There's a pic of the back of an xcd lens from dpreview. It does look like there is an outer o-ring as it protudes towards the screen from the screw mount as you can see in the top right but maybe I'm wrong.
    I cannot tell from that image if the black edge is an o-ring or just the outer black section of the lens itself. Generally the o-ring would be highly visible. Perhaps someone can show what I mean by posting an image of one of the newer Pentax 645Z lenses where the o-ring is highly visible due to its red color. Thanks for the image post.