The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D

hcubell

What does the H6d use
A very poorly made remote cable release. It is quite prone to fall apart. Strange that the other components in the H system are generally well made and robust, but the remote release is not. I am afraid to add up how many of these cable releases I have either lost or that have fallen apart over the last 10 years. With my Sony A7RII, I have generally used the self timer instead. I assume the X1D will have a self timer as well.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
A very poorly made remote cable release.
I saw that there was the wifi option but TBH that's a liability in the field. Likewise I actually use the timer delay on my XF and the X1D does have that too but it's not ideal (although better than wifi). I did check the accessories listed for the X1D and there wasn't a remote listed yet. If it's any consolation the remotes for Mamiya / Phase One bodies were similar to the Hassy by the sounds of it since I've also had several fall apart over the years too.

jerome_m

I looked at the pictures available and the X1D does not appear to have a plug for a remote cable. I can only see: USB, HDMI, headphones and microphone, all behind the bottom left flap.

Technically, it should be possible to use the mic input plug for a remote, maybe that function is planned.

The H6D (and H1... H5 cameras) use a remote with a 2.5mm jack plug. It is compatible with the wiring of Canon remotes for their low end SLRs, for which 5$ Chinese copies are available. I use one of these myself and it works perfectly.

I'll try to link to the relevant image from dpreview:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I see a couple things I did not see before. Standard stuff eye piece adjustment on top. I see the EVF cut off / on sensor in the eye cup. Sensor plane mark, mic. Looks like plastic caps over plugs and sad slots for moisture protection.

tjv

For those that know and have used it, I've read here that the A7R (not MKII) had only contrast detection for focus. Is this true? If so, how did it perform? Could we expect that – forgetting for a moment that the bluk of the new X lenses might reduce speed – the X1D's focusing could theoretically be in the same league of speed and / or accuracy? If this is the case, I can see a strong rationale here for H keeping the lenses small with modest max aperture in order to speed things up and keep bulk down (not to mention improve the ballance of the camera.) Either way, I have no problem with f3.5 / f4 lenses, but would prefer a 30mm and 60mm as a simple two lens setup.

This system is looking better and better for me. Looking forward to further H announcements at Photokina.

tjv

In an attempt to answer my own question, I read this on DPReview about the A7R.

"AF System & Performance

Unlike the a7, which has a 'hybrid' autofocus system, the a7R sticks with a more conventional contrast detect setup... from our experiences, its focusing performance is on-par with DSLRs in good light, and a bit slower than the best mirrorless models.

In low light, however, the camera can struggle to focus - unless you are mindful to set the AF point over a contrasty area. If you do so, we've been very pleased by the camera's autofocus accuracy in shot after shot."

LINK TO REVIEW PAGE

It seems I might be more pleased with the X1D AF performance than I first though when reading through peoples initial impressions of the specs. If Hasselblad can develop the firmware to improve the initial demo units performance, then it seems I'll most probably be happy. As long as it's not too slow and is accurate, that is.

So, besides general AF performance, these are the things I'm interested in knowing, in no particular order.

1: Startup time.
2: What the screen blackout duration is like (I'd program the camera so it doesn't show the image just taken, just goes straight back to the live feed.)
3: If there is a 60mm lens planned for release.
4: If there is a wired remote planned. I'd be gutted if it's just wifi via an iPhone or something.
5: Will electronic levels be able to be displayed in the EVF and / or on the rear screen?
6: Will there be an option to display hyperfocal and focus distance measurements on screen, seeing as there are no distance scales on lenses?
7: For manual focusing, can you turn on a magnified patch, in the EVF and / or back screen, to find focus a little bit like with a rangefinder (but without overlapping images, if that makes sense?)
8: Can I have one?

CSP

For those that know and have used it, I've read here that the A7R (not MKII) had only contrast detection for focus. Is this true? If so, how did it perform?
cdaf like in the a7r shows its limitation already in studio situations with modeling lights. in my case 650 w halogen bulbs are not enough to focus fast and properly even with fast lenses. i can´t see hasselblad being better than sony. the more i learn about this camera the more i think this is not the camera for me but i will wait and test for myself if af speed and accuracy is acceptable with the hc lenses i already own but my ecxpectations are not that high.

iiiNelson

In an attempt to answer my own question, I read this on DPReview about the A7R.

"AF System & Performance

Unlike the a7, which has a 'hybrid' autofocus system, the a7R sticks with a more conventional contrast detect setup... from our experiences, its focusing performance is on-par with DSLRs in good light, and a bit slower than the best mirrorless models.

In low light, however, the camera can struggle to focus - unless you are mindful to set the AF point over a contrasty area. If you do so, we've been very pleased by the camera's autofocus accuracy in shot after shot."

LINK TO REVIEW PAGE

It seems I might be more pleased with the X1D AF performance than I first though when reading through peoples initial impressions of the specs. If Hasselblad can develop the firmware to improve the initial demo units performance, then it seems I'll most probably be happy. As long as it's not too slow and is accurate, that is.

So, besides general AF performance, these are the things I'm interested in knowing, in no particular order.

1: Startup time.
2: What the screen blackout duration is like (I'd program the camera so it doesn't show the image just taken, just goes straight back to the live feed.)
3: If there is a 60mm lens planned for release.
4: If there is a wired remote planned. I'd be gutted if it's just wifi via an iPhone or something.
5: Will electronic levels be able to be displayed in the EVF and / or on the rear screen?
6: Will there be an option to display hyperfocal and focus distance measurements on screen, seeing as there are no distance scales on lenses?
7: For manual focusing, can you turn on a magnified patch, in the EVF and / or back screen, to find focus a little bit like with a rangefinder (but without overlapping images, if that makes sense?)
8: Can I have one?
My experiences with the A7R is similar. In good light it's generally accurate with the occasion misfocus. In low light it can hunt but with the zoom capability it's usually easy enough to manually focus quickly when needed in my experience.

Pradeep

Folks, a general question for Hassy users.

I am intrigued by this camera, though not excited enough to dump my Pentax right away. Not sure I would be able to get it before my trip to Italy in September anyway. Still, it's always good to speculate - anticipation is half the fun!

My question is about legacy H glass, since we know very little about the new releases with this body.

My experience with the MF lenses is limited to Phase/Schneider and Pentax. I also consider Leica M glass to be in the same league and now the Batis/GM offerings from Sony/Zeiss. While Canon L lenses are well suited to the bodies they are mated with, I find the Sony/Pentax to be superior.

Where does H glass fit in, in terms of sharpness, 'drawing', contrast and color?

My order of quality for lenses shorter than 70mm has been:

Leica M summilux 50 ASPH
Batis 25
Sony 55 1.8 (technically almost perfect but lifeless)
Phase/SK 45 2.8
Pentax 55 2.8

Just got the GM 24-70 by Sony, not tried it out much yet. I've owned and used many other lenses but these are the ones that stand out for me.

So how does the H glass compare? I know this may be OT for this thread, but the main attraction for me is the landscape ability of this new system.

hcubell

Folks, a general question for Hassy users.

I am intrigued by this camera, though not excited enough to dump my Pentax right away. Not sure I would be able to get it before my trip to Italy in September anyway. Still, it's always good to speculate - anticipation is half the fun!

My question is about legacy H glass, since we know very little about the new releases with this body.

My experience with the MF lenses is limited to Phase/Schneider and Pentax. I also consider Leica M glass to be in the same league and now the Batis/GM offerings from Sony/Zeiss. While Canon L lenses are well suited to the bodies they are mated with, I find the Sony/Pentax to be superior.

Where does H glass fit in, in terms of sharpness, 'drawing', contrast and color?

My order of quality for lenses shorter than 70mm has been:

Leica M summilux 50 ASPH
Batis 25
Sony 55 1.8 (technically almost perfect but lifeless)
Phase/SK 45 2.8
Pentax 55 2.8

Just got the GM 24-70 by Sony, not tried it out much yet. I've owned and used many other lenses but these are the ones that stand out for me.

So how does the H glass compare? I know this may be OT for this thread, but the main attraction for me is the landscape ability of this new system.
I have used a full range of Hasselblad H series lenses for over 10 years. With the exception of the 35mm lens, which was soft in the corners and I sold it, I have found the HC lenses to be excellent optically across the board. The 80, the 100, the 150N, the 210 and the 300 are excellent. The 50II is exceptional. I am not a wide angle lens guy, so I am not familiar with the 24 and the 28. I prefer longer lenses for my style of landscape work.
The X1D will start out with a 45mm and a 90mm, with a 30mm to follow. I am confident that Hasselblad knows what it is doing in designing these lenses, and they will also be excellent. They would cover my needs up to 90mm. As for adapting the 150N and the 210, I am concerned about the weight of those lenses on the X1D lens mount. Hasselblad has not commented on that issue, AFAIK.
I don't use my H1/IQ180 to photograph people, so things like "drawing power" and bokeh aren't an issue for me, but there are many Hasselblad shooters who do use them to photograph people and are apparently happy. For many years, the H1 and and HC lenses have been the de facto standard in rental houses.

hcubell

The interesting reality with mirrorless medium format is that there appears to be only one game in town for the sensor, the 50mp Sony sensor. What could a Fuji or Sony really do that would be "better" than the X1D? Phase One at least could offer the ability to use Capture One, but Phase One may not want in on a camera at such a lower price point.

Guy Mancuso

Well there is only one sensor to work with. So unless something fresh comes out this is the base sensor regardless of OEM

Guy Mancuso

The interesting reality with mirrorless medium format is that there appears to be only one game in town for the sensor, the 50mp Sony sensor. What could a Fuji or Sony really do that would be "better" than the X1D? Phase One at least could offer the ability to use Capture One, but Phase One may not want in on a camera at such a lower price point.
I'm sure there not happy seeing the interest in the X1D. I'm sure there also worried about watching the market fill with used Phase gear which will kill new sales. Than again it's Photokinia year and maybe there ahead of this and just waiting to announce. The writing has been on the wall there is a tech change coming and it's mirror less. You have to be half dead not to notice Sony success here

eleanorbrown

The minute I saw this new Hassy camera I knew the direction of my photography was going to change for good. I've shot many cameras and formats most of my life, including the Hassy 503 film camera system and wonderful lenses and for the last 11 years my Hassy H2 system with 4 different Phase One backs. I will eventually be getting the X1D and using my H lenses....80 and 100 and probably the new 45mm lens for this camera. No more big, bulky, heavy camera systems....only this Mirrorless Hassy and my Sony . My Hasselblad lenses over the years ...both film and digital have been unbeatable. My only regret is not being able to use C1 with Hasselblad RAW.... Eleanor

I'm sure there not happy seeing the interest in the X1D. I'm sure there also worried about watching the market fill with used Phase gear which will kill new sales. Than again it's Photokinia year and maybe there ahead of this and just waiting to announce. The writing has been on the wall there is a tech change coming and it's mirror less. You have to be half dead not to notice Sony success here

KeithL

The X1D is the medium format digital game changer. I'm as sure as can be that other manufacturers will eventually follow suit.

k-hawinkler

The minute I saw this new Hassy camera I knew the direction of my photography was going to change for good. I've shot many cameras and formats most of my life, including the Hassy 503 film camera system and wonderful lenses and for the last 11 years my Hassy H2 system with 4 different Phase One backs. I will eventually be getting the X1D and using my H lenses....80 and 100 and probably the new 45mm lens for this camera. No more big, bulky, heavy camera systems....only this Mirrorless Hassy and my Sony . My Hasselblad lenses over the years ...both film and digital have been unbeatable. My only regret is not being able to use C1 with Hasselblad RAW.... Eleanor
Sounds intriguing.
Why don't you give Iridient a try?
I think it's a great converter.
They also seem to be among the first to support a new camera.
Iridient is also very easy to learn IMHO.

eleanorbrown

Totally agree...but I already have H lenses and have used both film and digital Hassy systems and have a lot of confidence in the company. Eleanor

The X1D is the medium format digital game changer. I'm as sure as can be that other manufacturers will eventually follow suit.