Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Hasselblad X1D

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hasselblad X1D

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Steib View Post
    I just wonder - somehow there are many little points that make me unhappy:
    take the video ad. Showing swedish light, landscape and the history of Hasselblad. Well um, we´ve seen that before ?
    The camera is only happening at the very end of it and not in use, just in closeups and very abstract ?
    They say 3 professionals have tested the camera during the last months and given feedback. Can I hear and see that instead please ?
    I want to see it out at shooting, doing handling and workflow and some stuff from the postproduction ?

I´m sorry , but isn´t this what we all want to see, not this marketing gibberish ?

especially the AF features and performance of the x1d seem top secret.

Post Thanks / Like

Ming's thoughts are good, I think.

Interesting to read the bit about the 30fps live view / EVF readout limiting focusing speed. That's one of my biggest concerns. Well, that and the fluidity of the image in the EVF with a relatively low frame rate (30fps, as opposed to 60 or more,) as that's one of the reasons I've been alergic to EVFs in the past. They often seem very choppy and take me out of the moment.

I know that the resolution of the EVF is the same as the Sony A7Rii, but does anyone know the frame rate of the Sony's EVF / live view? I'm asking so I can try find a comparison base, handle a Sony (or Fuji, Olympus, etc,) and get an idea what to expect.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the Achilles heel of the camera may be the EVF and AF performance. There's some indications that it may actually not be that good. If it's just plain poor, it will hurt the camera badly. If it's fine (don't expect too much!), I think it's overall a really great package.

My expectation/guess is that you really can't track moving subjects with it, so your shoots need to be fairly static or pre/zone-focused. If it's just sufficiently fast in reaching focus where you point I think that will be okay. I'd love if it has true focus, but my guess is that it doesn't.

Then there's the EVF. If it's lagging or pixelated or jerky or whatever that won't be good... I don't know what to expect there, except that it's not going to be market-leading. As the camera won't be action-oriented I think you can live with a little less than the best there though.

What needs to be up there with the best is lenses and image quality, and I feel more confident about that.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    Tough crowd...

Reading this thread and others on a different forum makes me glad that I never went into the business of camera design. I dread to think what kind of monster would have been produced if all the objections and outrage at missing features had been taken into account by the designers of this camera and they had tried to incorporate all of them.

If it doesn't have the one or more essential ingredient(s) that you need then move on and find a camera that does. There is no point in complaining about what it doesn't do.

The X1D is what it is and if it isn't for you then so be it. For me this ticks all the right boxes. I was thinking of upgrading my H3D to an H6D but for location work and travel the weight is a pain as is the size and conspicuousness of the system. This gives me everything that I wanted from the H6 in a perfect size. So there are compromises - the screen doesn't tilt, there aren't hundreds of AF points etc. I don't really care - my old 503 cx doesn't have a screen at all (other than the focusing one) and has no autofocus at all. But it is still a great camera.

I know the sensor and unless Hasselblad have really screwed it up (which I can't imagine is the case) then it does what I want - make pictures of a size, resolution and quality that satisfies me in a truly portable form factor. I've ordered.
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The EVF refresh rate is the same as the A7rii - I didn't know there was anything wrong with that?

Shutter lag is the main thing to look at.
    Chris Giles Photography
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Steib View Post
    I just wonder - somehow there are many little points that make me unhappy:
    take the video ad. Showing swedish light, landscape and the history of Hasselblad. Well um, we´ve seen that before ?
    The camera is only happening at the very end of it and not in use, just in closeups and very abstract ?
    They say 3 professionals have tested the camera during the last months and given feedback. Can I hear and see that instead please ?
    I want to see it out at shooting, doing handling and workflow and some stuff from the postproduction ?

I´m sorry , but isn´t this what we all want to see, not this marketing gibberish ?
    It was a product launch. Of course it will be marketing centric. Do you see Apple launching an Iphone with a launch video that shows only benchmark scores?

It has not even been 24 hours since the camera was unveiled. Hold your horses. Thereal world reviews will come.

I admire all that you and your company has done for photography, but it seems like with every MF launch related thread, you're here to play the role of debbie Downer.
    My little corner on the internet.
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

That's good to know. I've never used a mirrorless camera except when demoing in a shop and, to be honest, the experience has never left me particularly impressed. Having said that, I'm very much a traditionalist when it comes to camera design, and the Sony and Fuji cameras just don't do it for me as a complete package, including horrible menu systems, cropped sensors (Fuji), poor tactile feel, jagged and / or weird looking picture in EVF, etc. The X1D might address a great many of these mental hurdles for me, to the point where I could live with and get used to the EVF. The big question for me then comes down to AF performance, being speed and accuracy, especially under variable light and when looking to lock onto fine details. I've also yet to read anything about focus peaking tools? Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading the first proper reports and maybe trialling one for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Giles View Post
    The EVF refresh rate is the same as the A7rii - I didn't know there was anything wrong with that?

Shutter lag is the main thing to look at.

Post Thanks / Like

This camera looks great. If only I had a spare 15k to able to buy the whole package. All it needs is the 30mm and a tilt adapter for h lenses. I've been dabbling with 120 film but would love to be able to create 33mm digital squares at roughly 33mp.
    Craig Slingsby
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I've tried a whole bunch of EVFs, and I find all good enough to live with, but none as pleasing as an optical viewfinder. But if I would have to choose between an EVF or a rangefinder type of viewfiender (ie looking beside the lens) I would choose the EVF. And if we want mirrorless and compact, we have to make some compromises.

I think the optical viewfinder with mirror box still have a number of healthy years in front of it though. It's not only that it lacks lag, it's that you look at the real thing which an EVF regardless of speed and resolution can't replicate. There is an advantage to look at what the sensor sees too though, you get a more direct understanding of how the final image will become, which with a normal viewfinder is not obvious if you shoot in a backlit situation for example.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, as I understand it the only cameras out there are pre production units with limited features on them.

So maybe it's too early to know the final behaviour and why we are limited regarding AF speed, refresh rates, buffer size and so on.
    Chris Giles Photography

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by torger View Post
    I think the optical viewfinder with mirror box still have a number of healthy years in front of it though. It's not only that it lacks lag, it's that you look at the real thing which an EVF regardless of speed and resolution can't replicate.
    transformed and deformed trough a lens projected on a matt grainy screen is the real thing ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Giles View Post
    Also, as I understand it the only cameras out there are pre production units with limited features on them.

So maybe it's too early to know the final behaviour and why we are limited regarding AF speed, refresh rates, buffer size and so on.
    cdaf sucks and i can not imagine how hasselblad could make it perform better than sony

Post Thanks / Like

Took a glance at price list....extra batteries are $130,

and H to X lens adapter is $350.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by synn View Post

I admire all that you and your company has done for photography, but it seems like with every MF launch related thread, you're here to play the role of debbie Downer.
    That's for sure..... I don't get all of the Hassy bashing coming from Stephen.

Victor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CSP View Post
    cdaf sucks and i can not imagine how hasselblad could make it perform better than sony
    Don't tell the Canon and Nikon users.
    Chris Giles Photography

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

For me and what I would use this for all the virtues that I have today in the Sony A7rII I would only need a couple of them for this camera as I would still need the Sony around for fast AF PR type shooting. I would keep my Sony and my two GM lenses but I would sell off all my manual glass and use the Hassy as more a landscape , travel package and maybe some commercial work as well. I would really only would be interested in good manual focusing with at least a zoom or magnify feature. I don't expect this to be screaming fast AF and that's okay I'm more about accuracy but this sounds like center point focus and recompose technique. I have a Rx1 II and I love this little camera , I kind of equate this Hassy to that but with interchangeable lenses. This cam may not do it all and honestly not sure I expect it too but for certain things it is perfect. One is the long exposure times you can do with it over the Sony. For landscape shooting this is a biggy so I see it having a place in my kit but I need to compliment the two systems together or it would not work fully for me. But regardless I love the idea of it actually it's something I always wanted was a much more compact fluid MF camera the alternates like a tech cam ven though I got outstanding images from it left me artistically a little cold as you always shot at F8 or F11 because you where always tripod bound and they are just not fluid cameras and the normal DSLR MF bodies was the same issue tripod bound as they where just not great handheld or more work oriented. This looks like a much less cumbersome package to deal with and more like a Sony RXrII II mentality type camera. I shot a ton of MF gear actually almos everything made and to me I would much rather spend the money on this if I wanted to get back into MF as this would be the type of camera I would want.

It's not going to beat anything as far as speed and some functionality and you have understand and accept that going in. It's really dumbing down shooting to a much more simplistic approach. It certainly has a place in a lot of folks bags but you need to keep these speed expect ions down its not a spray and pray type cam far from it . It's going to be a nice simple cam that puts you in the drivers seat but it gives you the freedom to move with it. Most MF products do not do that. To me this is fun to shoot, but I'm old school and I like the simplistic approach . That's my gut feeling about this cam. I love the idea of it and love to have it and I look forward to testing it at some point and see if it fits me.

But I should ad I'm not doing any major moves till after and if anything great comes out of Photokinia. Im sitting on my buy fingers till than. First morning espresso comments . I get to three who knows. Lol
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Some of the posts have indicated that this is no better than a Sony A7Rll but to me there is one LARGE distinction and its 4X3. I'm not a 3X2 fan except, on occasion, for landscape orientation but much prefer 16X9. I also think that the full lens line from the H being available is fantastic. I, for one, would probably buy the Hassy 100 as my first lens instead of the dedicated 90. Larger image circle and probably the same weight and extremely close in focal length. I'm not a buyer yet as I just don't have the use for it but its still very exciting.

Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Some big pluses very long exposure times can be done which is a limitation today with out 42mpx Sonys.

A huge line of lenses we can tap into from the H glass upon release with adapter of course which should be fully automatic.

True leaf shutter . I see as a advantage not a downside as some here think.

It's just damn cool looking
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing I will say about using EVF... Manual focusing is extremely easy and quick to do with one. I have no doubts that the camera will be fast enough to use outdoors from dawn to dusk but when it gets to lower light environments I suspect that people would zoom into an image to manually nail the focus. After a little practice I found myself doing this more than auto focusing.
    Priolite Ambassador | Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    I'm a superyacht lawyer. I can see the X1D fitting right in as a must have luxury accessory in that world - Ready for Monaco Yacht Show at the end of September? .
    It must be difficult for a certain strata of customer to find cameras that cost enough and are stylish enough and useable enough to be viable.
    This new thing certainly fills another niche, I think you are right on the money.

I like the layout and buttons and size : it must be good for the digitally-challenged older gent, I just hope they add stabilisation to the MkII.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The predicted Sony A9 using the E-Mount, is likely to spoil Hasselblad's party. It's all rumour, but well founded and probably accurate rumour, that the A9 will sit above the current A7RII, with a host of new developments and improvements. Expect yet more MP, better focussing, etc.

I am a huge fan of the Pentax K1. It has not got a mention yet in this thread, but it deserves one.
    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I will say about using EVF... Manual focusing is extremely easy and quick to do with one. I have no doubts that the camera will be fast enough to use outdoors from dawn to dusk but when it gets to lower light environments I suspect that people would zoom into an image to manually nail the focus. After a little practice I found myself doing this more than auto focusing.
    I agree it depends on the subject also portrait shooters claim all auto focus systems focus on the eyelashes not the pupil so even after auto focus a slight adjustment by hand is needed. It takes many hours of practice to be proficient with any camera even a rolliflex they all have limitations which require work a rounds.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Douglas View Post
    It must be difficult for a certain strata of customer to find cameras that cost enough and are stylish enough and useable enough to be viable.
    This new thing certainly fills another niche, I think you are right on the money.

I like the layout and buttons and size : it must be good for the digitally-challenged older gent, I just hope they add stabilisation to the MkII.
    I'm serious about Hasselblad and Monaco Yacht Show. It sits well with luxury assets. High end cars, yachts, clothing, art. They have a watch auction that raises money for charity. Why not Hasselblad featured large?

They should get in touch. I'd be happy to have them as co sponsors at our event at Before Bar

Experts in Superyachts at the Monaco Yacht Show 2015 - Bargate Murray Solicitors
    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I'm serious about Hasselblad and Monaco Yacht Show. It sits well with luxury assets. High end cars, yachts, clothing, art. They have a watch auction that raises money for charity. Why not Hasselblad featured large?

They should get in touch. I'd be happy to have them as co sponsors at our event at Before Bar

Experts in Superyachts at the Monaco Yacht Show 2015 - Bargate Murray Solicitors
    Quentin:
    I think Hasselblad is trying to recover from its crass efforts to appeal to that crowd. They very much want to position the X1D as a serious camera for serious photographers, not bling.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Some big pluses very long exposure times can be done which is a limitation today with out 42mpx Sonys.

A huge line of lenses we can tap into from the H glass upon release with adapter of course which should be fully automatic.

True leaf shutter . I see as a advantage not a downside as some here think.

It's just damn cool looking

True leaf shutter is definitely an advantage and I won't dispute that for a second.
    What I was hoping for was aleaf AND FP shutter platform (Like the Mamiyas and Leicas) which will allow the use of great native lenses and third party lenses.
    My little corner on the internet.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

True leaf shutter is definitely an advantage and I won't dispute that for a second.
    What I was hoping for was aleaf AND FP shutter platform (Like the Mamiyas and Leicas) which will allow the use of great native lenses and third party lenses.
    Perhaps that is where a competitor would make headway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It was a product launch. Of course it will be marketing centric. Do you see Apple launching an Iphone with a launch video that shows only benchmark scores?

It has not even been 24 hours since the camera was unveiled. Hold your horses. Thereal world reviews will come.

That´s utter nonsense, you may remember that I have built and still do sell a MF camera myself.
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    Without IBIS or VR/OSS/IS, casual "travel" use is crippled. Not impossible, but certainly less enabled.
    With all due respect to Joe Colson, sometimes I think expectations have in recent years just gone absurdly out into the stratosphere. I haven't read to the end of this thread -- been out on a job / shooting since the X1D announcement -- but to say that travel use is crippled seems almost nonsensical to me. The camera goes up to ISO 25,600 and has f/3.5 lenses, and travel use is crippled? Yes, it lacks VR, but it also lacks mirror slap. Before digital I traveled with f/2.8 lenses and pushed my B&W negs to 1600 or 3200, and was very happy with the results. What makes an image strong is content.

This is the MF digital that so many people have been waiting for, and once it comes out, it seems like a big bashing party. How many times have I seen people claiming that they are dying for something like a digital Mamiya 7? (Which was limited to leaf shutters, f/4 lenses, film ISOs, RF focusing, requirement to close film gate before changing lenses, etc.) I think this seems like a terrific camera. Sure, it's not everything, but no camera is. For pete's sake, try to find a little happiness, people.

I'm sure I'll get bashed for some reason for posting this.
    Likes 14 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    What the hell are you folks smoking?

Anyway, back to reality.

As I see this new camera as applied to what and how I now shoot photos:

PROS:

I do not recall any AF issues with the H4D I used, so I doubt this new camera has worse AF than that … and it may be better/faster with the smaller lenses made for it. I do wonder why H did not implement True Focus on this camera which I found to be a tremendous proprietary advantage over all other MF type cameras, and many smaller formats. Actual AF performance TBD.

The balance between size and handling seem to have been well integrated, which is being confirmed by those who've actually handled the camera.

Dual SDs is a key advantage for anyone shooting fleeting subjects. Losing a wedding card is a lot different from losing a vacation card. Both are horrible, but you aren't getting sued by your family for lost vacation snaps. BTW, SD cards are much harder to recover than CFs, so a SD failure is more likely to stay a failure. I worry a bit about this every time I shoot a wedding with the Sony A7R-II. I'm working without a net.

Uses HC and HCD lenses. Recent updates to many Hasselblad lenses have made them more than competitive; the HC-50/3.5-II is second to none IMHO. I hope the HC adapter allows use of the HC extension tubes … even better, the HTS unit for DOF control with the 100/2.2 for table-top product photography.

LS to 1/2000. I know from experience that I can live with this because the H4D I used topped out at 1/800 and I only occasionally had an issue with it. The lack of mirror slap, and of Sony type shutter shock, is a nice benefit of LS only. I'd hazard a guess that this camera is quiet. I could easily see Hasselblad implementing an e-shutter in future when technology allows it. IMO, no focal plane shutter was the right decision for the longer term future of the system because of that.

Higher ISO capability compared to my S-006. Not that big of a deal based on how I shoot, but this new camera could take over S duties AND Sony A7R-II duties with one system.

CONS:

If I understand correctly, this camera does NOT have a PC port. As insignificant as this seems, no PC port conjures up some issues for me. 1) How does one implement 1/2000 sync without the ability to hard-wire from camera to strobe? The Profoto AIR Transmitter tops out at 1/1000 when set to speed mode. (I'm not talking about Hyper-Sync at 1/2000). 2) If I am using a Nikon speed-light in the hot-shoe for TTL fill, how do I trigger my Profoto and Hensel (w.AIR) off-camera strobes?

BTW, no PC port is second only to the cluster-fukc menu when it comes to things I hate about my Sony A7R-II.

NO IS. Actually, with LS lenses this is less of an issue … but a moveable sensor could mean auto sensor cleaning which is a bigger deal with these MF sized cameras.

UNKNOWNS:

For me, the biggest unknown about this new camera is the color rendering and sense of depth in the files. The H cameras I once shot with were great for this using Hasselblad's color engine and profiles … especially when processed in Phocus. That is another thing I subjectively do not like about my Sony A7R-II, and the main reason I haven't really aesthetically connected with anything Sony since the much loved A900.

- Marc

Hi Marc - nice summary, but you forgot to mention the Billingham bag disaster is being a deal breaker for you ...

I haven't got my hands on one of the to try (obviously) but I've been looking for a replacement for my walk around Alpa / digiback combo and I think this camera may just be the one that makes me open my dusty wallet.
    I think you will like the colour files - I've tested quite a few CMOS files from Hasselblad 50megapixel CMOS and they don't hurt my eyes like most of the 35mm CMOS files do - in good to ok light - you can get the pop and sparkle factor pretty easy..
    I'm a bit disappointed that they haven't got an electronic shutter going ( yet) but thats firmware - and if they ever do - it will allow for all sorts of adaptors to work for all sorts of glass.
    Your point regarding PC connection is well made - the camera shoots leaf shutter lenses at 2000th - better than any other MF camera maker can muster - and the triggering strategy is?
    In camera square and XPan(almost) panorama cropping is a big deal for me and a very welcome feature - the backs and files these days are so good I think I use photoshop to make pretty frames and thats about it...Phocus I always liked over anything else anyway - but LR is good too.
    As for lenses I think I will go with the 100H/50 in H and the 30 combo when it comes out and pick up the HTS device for movements.

For those thinking that Sony versions of this type of camera will be coming out - I think you will be disappointed. Fuji has been cut out of this story so I don't expect them to be playing in this game either.

A real kit isnt cheap though a camera and three lenses will set a person back 15k or more - peanuts compared to what we used to pay for digibacks with (only) 30-40 megapixels a decade ago though.

I suspect tripod work will see it shine of course but Hasselblad have to be congratulated coming out with such a small light kick arse package - such a relief for me these days. I'll be buying one for sure - and ditching Alpa/Rodenstock/Schneider and the issues I've been having with the copal shutters - and all the fussing around I have to do to calibrate a damn back to the Alpa properly - I'm over futzing around.

This camera for my style of shooting and minimalist needs these days is a great way to have access to 50 megapixels - suspect it will work really well in studio as well because of sync speeds - so much more useful in real world than puny 35mm crapola and 125/250 limits.

Good to read everyone's first reactions!

Cheers
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

For everyone talking about lack of a PC port....the X1D hot shoe is Nikon-compatible, so I'll bet one could use something like this:

AS-15 Sync Terminal Adapter (Hot Shoe to PC) from Nikon

There may be even cheaper ways to add a PC port with a third-party adaptor. If I remember correctly from my SB-900s and 910s, Nikon speedlights also have PC ports and can set to trigger only.

Post Thanks / Like

and the triggering strategy is?
    a pocket wizard/elinchrom sky port or whatever other wireless trigger you normally use?
    never trust the opinion of anyone who lists a load of gear in their forum signature. Dealers do not email me asking to buy your products.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    a pocket wizard/elinchrom sky port or whatever other wireless trigger you normally use?
    Yeah I believe even the PCB Cyber Commander is rated to sync up to 1/2500 of a second. I've never tested it but that's what the tech people advertise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not sure anyone caught it in the video above he did say Nikon SB units. Anything Nikon is going to work with this cam. So you just need Nikon triggers and on camera flash Nikon TTL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The predicted Sony A9 using the E-Mount, is likely to spoil Hasselblad's party. It's all rumour, but well founded and probably accurate rumour, that the A9 will sit above the current A7RII, with a host of new developments and improvements. Expect yet more MP, better focussing, etc.

I am a huge fan of the Pentax K1. It has not got a mention yet in this thread, but it deserves one.
    Agreed. The K1 is a game changer in its own right and is more than a match IQ wise for any available FF. It is certainly the perfect backup for my 645z. The reality is that when used in controlled situations where pixel shift is possible, the K1 will deliver images superior in perceived detail and color gamut than any of the 50 meg MF bodies. And a mod is now available to use some Nikon lenses with the K1.

Go to DPR studio comparison screen, compare the K1 with pixel shift against ANY of the other systems including the Phase. Check the detail of the engraving of the currency note. Compare noise performance at high ISO against any other system. It's a pretty amazing body for $1800.00, nothing else comes close judged on IQ. There is certainly something to be said for eliminating the Bayer filter.

Post Thanks / Like

On the subject of flash solutions I've 12 x Canon 600EX-RT's which can be triggered wirelessly across 4 channels by a Yongnuo YN-E3-RT on any camera with a normal hotshoe (Canon / Nikon etc)

Manually of course, but I rarely use TTL - heck I can use this setup on my lowly Pentax GR2.
    Chris Giles Photography

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not sure anyone caught it in the video above he did say Nikon SB units. Anything Nikon is going to work with this cam. So you just need Nikon triggers and on camera flash Nikon TTL.
    Post #5. The best feature.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish Fuji would have done this instead of their half-baked TTL system! Being able to use all my old SBs and having access to all of the great 3rd party TTL gear that has Nikon support (Phottix, Profoto, etc) is awesome. I wonder if Hasselblad could release an HVX/HVD viewfinder for the H system with a Nikon shoe? Unlikely, I know, but a man can dream, right?

Also in the video when he was going through the ports he mentioned "tethering" in regards to the USB port. I'm not sure if that feature has been confirmed elsewhere yet, but I know some were concerned that the XD1 would lack it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Selfishly, I was hoping for a Sony compatible MIS hotshoe which would make this camera harder to resist. I could always get a Nikon controller for my strobes and the X1D SHOULD work but I don't know if wireless controllers would require a firmware update to be able to sync the timing properly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by med View Post
    I wish Fuji would have done this instead of their half-baked TTL system! Being able to use all my old SBs and having access to all of the great 3rd party TTL gear that has Nikon support (Phottix, Profoto, etc) is awesome. I wonder if Hasselblad could release an HVX/HVD viewfinder for the H system with a Nikon shoe? Unlikely, I know, but a man can dream, right?

Also in the video when he was going through the ports he mentioned "tethering" in regards to the USB port. I'm not sure if that feature has been confirmed elsewhere yet, but I know some were concerned that the XD1 would lack it.
    I totally believe your going to able to tether it. It's not a Hassy if you can't

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Selfishly, I was hoping for a Sony compatible MIS hotshoe which would make this camera harder to resist. I could always get a Nikon controller for my strobes and the X1D SHOULD work but I don't know if wireless controllers would require a firmware update to be able to sync the timing properly.
    For my Godox I would just need a Nikon trigger. 50 bucks

Being a Nikon TTL setup I really don't think we are going to run into any major issues

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if the existing CF adaptor to use V lenses on H bodies will work with the H-->X adaptor once it is available. I can't think of why it won't, unless Hasselblad doesn't allow it in firmware.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I totally believe your going to able to tether it. It's not a Hassy if you can't
    Yeah tethering is definitely possible by means of USB3 to Type-C

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

For my Godox I would just need a Nikon trigger. 50 bucks

Being a Nikon TTL setup I really don't think we are going to run into any major issues
    Same with Priolite I believe. There's a Canon, Nikon, and Pentax controller available. I only have the Sony one. It works up to 1/8000 at any and all power levels but doesn't have TTL on it... Not that I really miss it all that much.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't wait to see some solid RAW files from this camera. I'm with Guy...the long exposure times will be a big asset.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congratulations to Hasselblad to a great new product, look forward to hands-on reviews. The amount of forum traffic generated by the announcement is enormous.

A very important factor to me is how much I enjoy using a camera (see LULA article by Sean Reid: "Yes, It Matters"). Traditionally, my Leicas and Hasselblads have always been a joy to use, more so than other brands. The simplicity and design of X1D looks promising.

If the (relevant) reviews are positive, and the H-lens adapter is good, I see X1D being a great backup camera for my H5D50c (currently that is a Sony a7rII system), but also a great handheld complement to H5D. I do not care about lack of IBIS/VRs, tend to avoid them on Nikons and Sonys anyway.

One of the best things about the H5D is its glorious OVF. I do not like EVFs but I can work with them especially when implemented as in Leica Q. I do understand that EVFs are necessary in order to reduce size and weight of a camera and that they facilitate manual focus.

Exciting times.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ddanois View Post
    I can't wait to see some solid RAW files from this camera. I'm with Guy...the long exposure times will be a big asset.
    Its kind of a problem with my Sonys. So this is kinda a big one for landscape

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SrMphoto View Post
    Congratulations to Hasselblad to a great new product, look forward to hands-on reviews. The amount of forum traffic generated by the announcement is enormous.

A very important factor to me is how much I enjoy using a camera (see LULA article by Sean Reid: "Yes, It Matters"). Traditionally, my Leicas and Hasselblads have always been a joy to use, more so than other brands. The simplicity and design of X1D looks promising.

If the (relevant) reviews are positive, and the H-lens adapter is good, I see X1D being a great backup camera for my H5D50c (currently that is a Sony a7rII system), but also a great handheld complement to H5D. I do not care about lack of IBIS/VRs, tend to avoid them on Nikons and Sonys anyway.

One of the best things about the H5D is its glorious OVF. I do not like EVFs but I can work with them especially when implemented as in Leica Q. I do understand that EVFs are necessary in order to reduce size and weight of a camera and that they facilitate manual focus.

Exciting times.

Its funny I came from years with OVF and when i switched to EVF on my Sony A7r it took about a month to readjust meslefmyself to it. Today its not even remotely a issue, you do get used to working with it subconsciously

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post

CONS:

If I understand correctly, this camera does NOT have a PC port.
    Hi Marc
    Wouldn't you just use one of these?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-06-24 at 7.42.44 AM.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	119335

Post Thanks / Like

I got very excited when I heard the announcement. I thought to myself: Wow! A Hassy for under $10k! Great! Now, med format is approaching reasonable pricing and that's going to affect other manufacturers. I still think that.

However, the more I think about the camera itself, the more I fail to see the point of this camera. When the announcement came out, I immediately thought to myself: Mamiya 7! But there's a world of difference from the need that Mamiya 7 filled vs XD1. Mamiya 7 was a relatively small, light 6x7 film camera. What were the other choices? RB67 - a behemoth of a camera that couldn't be hand held for any period of time. The RZ67, a bit more manageable, but still a huge camera. Pentax 67, a big camera with a 1/30 sec sync speed, which made it unsuitable for flash photography unless the camera was on a tripod, shooting static objects. So, in that sense, the Mamiya 7 provided the benefit of the big 6x7 negative in a compact, light package with a leaf shutter that could sync at fast enough speeds.

Enter the XD1. What does it offer? Well, it's a crop med format, so the sensor isn't THAT much bigger than 35mm, so in that sense, it's still competing with the smaller formats, whereas the Mamiya 7 set itself completely apart from the smaller format competition. With the lines in terms of image quality blurred by digital, med format needs to be substantially bigger than competition in order to set itself apart. In other words, as far as I'm concerned, the 645 full frame is the SMALLEST that med format needs to be in order to be viable on a mass scale to the smaller format shooters.

Furthermore, the lenses that were introduced with this camera are slow. Combine that with a sensor that's not substantially bigger than 135 and what you have is a situation where the advantages of the bigger sensor such as the shallower depth of field will not be realized. So, who is this camera for? It's hard to say. I think most smaller frame shooters who want to explore the larger sensor will be drawn more toward the Pentax 645z because of
    the availability of legacy lenses. That's huge. It's huge from a choice perspective, as well as from a financial perspective. Pentax users can have access to whatever lenses out there, which are available for a song. If those lenses aren't quite up to par, a bad lens is better than no lens. At least it can be used as a stop gap measure. That's not the case with XD1, since it doesn't have a FP shutter.

Those looking for a travel set are much more likely to pick up a smaller format camera due to weight and cost savings.

So, who is this camera for? Quite frankly, I'm not sure and I'm not sure it will necessarily be a success. We may see the XD line go by the way side in a few years. However, one thing that it will do and one thing that it has done already is move the MF costs closer to sanity.