Site Sponsors
Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 250 of 1457

Thread: Hasselblad X1D

  1. #201
    Senior Member Joe Colson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    1,550
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    36

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by epforever View Post
    With all due respect to Joe Colson, sometimes I think expectations have in recent years just gone absurdly out into the stratosphere. I haven't read to the end of this thread -- been out on a job / shooting since the X1D announcement -- but to say that travel use is crippled seems almost nonsensical to me. The camera goes up to ISO 25,600 and has f/3.5 lenses, and travel use is crippled? Yes, it lacks VR, but it also lacks mirror slap. Before digital I traveled with f/2.8 lenses and pushed my B&W negs to 1600 or 3200, and was very happy with the results. What makes an image strong is content.

    This is the MF digital that so many people have been waiting for, and once it comes out, it seems like a big bashing party. How many times have I seen people claiming that they are dying for something like a digital Mamiya 7? (Which was limited to leaf shutters, f/4 lenses, film ISOs, RF focusing, requirement to close film gate before changing lenses, etc.) I think this seems like a terrific camera. Sure, it's not everything, but no camera is. For pete's sake, try to find a little happiness, people.

    I'm sure I'll get bashed for some reason for posting this.
    My intent was not to piss on anyone's parade, but provide my own opinion about this new camera. That's allowed on these forums, is it not? My opinions are my opinions, and not those of a paid reviewer, manufacturer, sales rep, or pro photographer operating under an NDA. I'm coming at this from several perspectives:

    1. I'm a medium-format shooter (although I recently sold my Pentax 645Z). I've been shooting medium-format since 2010 when I acquired an H4D-40. Since then, H4D-50, Phase One DF/IQ180, Leica S2, Leica S Type 006, and 645Z. In there somewhere is a Cambo and an Alpa (with the IQ180). I've come to know the strengths and weaknesses of these cameras far too intimately, and have learned considerably from experts on GetDPI.
    2. I also shoot 35mm and spent many years using Nikon DSLRs, up to and including the D810. Once again, over the period starting with the D100, I learned what those DSLRs could and could not do. I took a short foray into Leica territory with the M9 and M Type 240, but that was brief. My main (and only) full-frame 35mm camera now is a Sony a7RII.
    3. I'm an electrical engineer by education and profession and take more than a passing interest in the hardware and software/firmware technology embodied in all of these wonderful instruments. As an electronics gadgeteer, I've experimented with various of these hardware and software/firmware technologies to understand them better and become a more knowledgeable buyer and user.
    4. I'm almost 69 years old and have less patience than I once had for corporations to "eventually" incorporate new tech in their products. My impatience is not limited to cameras. I'm just as impatient with Apple for example.


    My comment about IBIS and or VR/OSS/IS had more to do with my own use of, and experience with, using those features. While I once could hold a camera steady in my hands and shoot reliably at 1/30 sec. or slower, I'm unable to do that now on a consistent basis (without IBIS/VR/OSS/IS). And with a 50MP camera, it may be unrealistic to think that anyone can reliably shoot at slow shutter speeds and get sharp results. I have no doubt that the ISO performance of the X1D will be stellar. It uses the same sensor as the 645Z, and my experience with that camera showed almost noiseless results at ISO 6400. Yes, the X1D is spec'ed to ISO 25,600, but I doubt whether any serious travel shooter will push it that far.

    My expectations of technology companies like Hasselblad are not "absurdly out into the stratosphere" or "nonsensical". All of the technological goodies I've referred to require no new inventions or breakthroughs. The Leica SL, for example, has a 4.41MP EVF to view a 24MP image. The 645Z has an articulating rear LCD. IBIS/VR/OSS/IS are knowns, not unknowns. Perhaps there were design constraints that prevented Hasselblad from incorporating those technologies into the X1D. Perhaps it was cost-to-manufacture translated to price and margin. Perhaps it was timing. I don't know. I was simply opining on their absence, not bashing the camera.

    Having said all that, I'll likely buy one. I'm attracted to new tech and enjoy the learning experience. And for the record, I'm very happy.

    Joe

    P.S. I use my real name in online forums, not a pseudonym. I don't say anything online that I wouldn't say to the person's face. I don't bash or troll.
    _________________________________
    Joe Colson Photography
    Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 13 Member(s) liked this post

  2. #202
    Senior Member etrigan63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Earth, Sol System (near Miami, FL)
    Posts
    2,467
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    This is a camera I have been waiting for a long time. I have longed to switched to MF but the technical limitations of the past, the economic realities of the present and the promise of future tech exceeding it have conspired to prevent me from switching. This camera ticks off a lot of boxes in my needs list and i have already added myself to a demo list. Pricey? Yes, like a top-end DSLR or a Leica, but a downright bargain in the MF world. It is the size of a entry level DSLR and the weight is reasonable.

    Heck, I even started group page on Facebook.

    Guy, I'm going to have to borrow your ski mask...
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography | Sony 𝛼7 II - 2 Sony FE Zooms - Lots of Canon FD Glass | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  3. #203
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    1,531
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    There's a lot of patents too in this business, I would guess it's not easy to make image stabilization stuff without some hefty licensing.

  4. #204
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,533
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    This is a camera I have been waiting for a long time. I have longed to switched to MF but the technical limitations of the past, the economic realities of the present and the promise of future tech exceeding it have conspired to prevent me from switching. This camera ticks off a lot of boxes in my needs list and i have already added myself to a demo list. Pricey? Yes, like a top-end DSLR or a Leica, but a downright bargain in the MF world. It is the size of a entry level DSLR and the weight is reasonable.

    Heck, I even started group page on Facebook.

    Guy, I'm going to have to borrow your ski mask...
    I think if you take this in a simplistic approach to photography this clicks the I am a landscape shooter box. BIG TIME

    There is not much you need but more glass. Long exposure , good ISO, Lets say decent AF for now, light, less bulky and i really don't need stabilization your mostly on a tripod anyway. Your wife thinks it looks cool than WTF you got to lose. I personally still need my Sony

    Someone show me a downside for a landscape shooter here as I do not see a downside at all . Hassy aint stupid guys they targeted you like freaking laser beam. Thanks we appreciate it. LOL

    Here is the biggy you all know my past with 5 Phase backs , tech cams, DSLR bodies this is a freaking steal coming from all that.

    Now if i kept all this thoughts and did not think about my other needs that i am perfect. So what I have to do is keep my Sonys for the other stuff but I can certainly reduce the amount of glass. I would keep my 24-70 and 85 GM that would be the PR kit
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  5. #205
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Eads, Tennessee
    Posts
    836
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Someone show me a downside for a landscape shooter here as I do not see a downside at all .
    There isn't any..... The sensor is fantastic, the 4X3 format is perfect and there's a lot of lenses available - especially long - for any landscape situation. Lots to like although many like to nit pick.

    Victor
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  6. #206
    Senior Member Quentin_Bargate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Saffron Walden, UK
    Posts
    1,803
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    58

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    Quentin:
    I think Hasselblad is trying to recover from its crass efforts to appeal to that crowd. They very much want to position the X1D as a serious camera for serious photographers, not bling.
    I don't think so. I think Hasselblad want to get away from entirely the wrong approach to people who know far better. If you have a Patek Philippe, a yacht, a Ferrari, several houses and an private jet, a Luna is not an appealing prospect. UHNW people are not idiots. Treat them like fools, and you'll pay the price (as Hassy did with the absurd Luna)
    Quentin Bargate
    Co-Founder of Ajuve, Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2016, Photographer
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  7. #207
    Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    5,434
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    539

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I think if you take this in a simplistic approach to photography this clicks the I am a landscape shooter box. BIG TIME

    There is not much you need but more glass. Long exposure , good ISO, Lets say decent AF for now, lighat, less bulky and i really don't need stabilization your mostly on a tripod anyway. Your wife thinks it looks cool than WTF you got to lose. I personally still need my Sony

    Someone show me a downside for a landscape shooter here as I do not see a downside at all . Hassy aint stupid guys they targeted you like freaking laser beam. Thanks we appreciate it. LOL

    Here is the biggy you all know my past with 5 Phase backs , tech cams, DSLR bodies this is a freaking steal coming from all that.
    Ticks that box for me. Add the 30mm and perhaps a 150mm as well to the 45/90 and I'm in. I'm a gear slut admittedly but in many ways I'd add this to my current gear vs having to trade out to go to the phase iq3100
    Ylem ...
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  8. #208
    Senior Member Stefan Steib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lindenberg im Allgäu
    Posts
    1,280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    12

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by Abstraction View Post

    Furthermore, the lenses that were introduced with this camera are slow. Combine that with a sensor that's not substantially bigger than 135 and what you have is a situation where the advantages of the bigger sensor such as the shallower depth of field will not be realized. So, who is this camera for? It's hard to say. ....................
    .................................

    So, who is this camera for? Quite frankly, I'm not sure and I'm not sure it will necessarily be a success. We may see the XD line go by the way side in a few years. However, one thing that it will do and one thing that it has done already is move the MF costs closer to sanity................
    I think that the point of the shallow depth of field and the MF look are more important for many people than the maybe slightly better Color to noise ratio of the bigger pixels
    (which are actually not so big at all, 5,4 to 4,65 Micron - or in percent a 24x36 Sony A7RII chip pixel has around 77% of the 50 Mpix MF chip - and that one is not Backside illuminated.... ).

    and losing the ability to use any kind of lens because of the lacking FPS is even more severe. On a scale of max usability that weighs much higher than a subpar AF.I would have completely left this off, by this Blad could have also made the lenses much smaller , lighter, cheaper and nevertheless more lightcollecting, with maybe f2.0 or even better.

    There could have been a growing market of third party accessories, lenses, adapters and much more - all these things that make a camera system fun to use.

    Nothing of all this will happen.

    Sad.
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  9. #209
    Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,509
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    I suspect tripod work will see it shine of course but Hasselblad have to be congratulated coming out with such a small light kick arse package - such a relief for me these days. I'll be buying one for sure - and ditching Alpa/Rodenstock/Schneider and the issues I've been having with the copal shutters - and all the fussing around I have to do to calibrate a damn back to the Alpa properly - I'm over futzing around.

    This camera for my style of shooting and minimalist needs these days is a great way to have access to 50 megapixels - suspect it will work really well in studio as well because of sync speeds - so much more useful in real world than puny 35mm crapola and 125/250 limits.

    Good to read everyone's first reactions!

    Cheers
    Pete
    At first I was a bit disappointed then looking at the few photos available I changed my mind.

    I will shoot this like I previously did the Mamiya 7II ... basically a travel camera on monopod mainly at F8 - 11 at the lowest ISO that will work. Fast AF does not matter to me ... most of my subjects are static.
    If I want mojo then my Leica S006 and 100 will suffice.

    My Fuji X-Pro and lenses will be dropped and this will be for me a perfect kit to replace them.

    Placed my order this morning. Now to decide on the best PC adapter for my Profoto strobes when I need more than the Pocket Wizard to sync.

    Bob
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  10. #210
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,533
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Ticks that box for me. Add the 30mm and perhaps a 150mm as well to the 45/90 and I'm in. I'm a gear slut admittedly but in many ways I'd add this to my current gear vs having to trade out to go to the phase iq3100
    YOU of all people should be jumping up and down. Not sure you can with all that stinking gear you carry but you can lose your load dude. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  11. #211
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Eads, Tennessee
    Posts
    836
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Steib View Post

    On a scale of max usability that weighs much higher than a subpar AF.I would have completely left this off, by this Blad could have also made the lenses much smaller , lighter, cheaper and nevertheless more lightcollecting, with maybe f2.0 or even better.

    There could have been a growing market of third party accessories, lenses, adapters and much more - all these things that make a camera system fun to use.

    Nothing of all this will happen.

    Sad.
    Well, other than your continuing bashing of this new release maybe you could expand on how 'YOU' would provide lenses with 'MAYBE F2.0 OR EVEN BETTER'. Come on Stefan..... what is this really all about??

    Its a great effort by Hasselblad and can only be improved on in future releases.....as most computers are improved on in time.

    Victor

  12. #212
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    276
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Steib View Post
    I think that the point of the shallow depth of field and the MF look are more important for many people than the maybe slightly better Color to noise ratio of the bigger pixels
    (which are actually not so big at all, 5,4 to 4,65 Micron - or in percent a 24x36 Sony A7RII chip pixel has around 77% of the 50 Mpix MF chip - and that one is not Backside illuminated.... ).

    and losing the ability to use any kind of lens because of the lacking FPS is even more severe. On a scale of max usability that weighs much higher than a subpar AF.I would have completely left this off, by this Blad could have also made the lenses much smaller , lighter, cheaper and nevertheless more lightcollecting, with maybe f2.0 or even better.

    There could have been a growing market of third party accessories, lenses, adapters and much more - all these things that make a camera system fun to use.

    Nothing of all this will happen.

    Sad.
    I really don't get this continued desire to bash Hasselblad.

    I just went and looked at your site and looked at your cameras, they are not for me but I'm not going to hunt down a forum post and rant about missing features, 4K video, image stabilisation, microwave, lasers (because lasers are cool). Why do you feel the need to attack some one else product?

  13. #213
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,533
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Nick have you had this in your hands yet and anything you expand on for us.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  14. #214
    Senior Member Stefan Steib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lindenberg im Allgäu
    Posts
    1,280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    12

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by vjbelle View Post
    Well, other than your continuing bashing of this new release maybe you could expand on how 'YOU' would provide lenses with 'MAYBE F2.0 OR EVEN BETTER'. Come on Stefan..... what is this really all about??

    Its a great effort by Hasselblad and can only be improved on in future releases.....as most computers are improved on in time.

    Victor
    the lenses Nitto builds for Hasselblad are "on Order". The same company probably could have built an f2.0/30mm, f2.0/55mm and an f2.0/90mm Manual Focus.
    Make these with a flange focal distance of 25-30mm and I bet a lot of Sony users or other mirrorless camera users Like Leica SL would have been potential customers for these as well !
    With adapters all the Zeiss F Lenses like the 2.0/110 or a Mamiya 1,9/80mm would have been available, a Canon FD-L 1,2/85mm, and many many other lenses which have the image circle easily could have been used.

    The H Line as a pro Camera line with backs would have been clearly separated and also shaped especially for the task it was made.

    This new camera would get totally new customers into the Hasselblad world and build a 2nd column for earnings.

    From a financial view I think it is nonsense, to build leafshutter lenses now, when in a few years lately globalshutter will be status of technology.
    It remembers me to a bridge the german Bahn built for an existing line of trains, and shortly after they had finished the bridge, the line to that city is closed.

    Am I the only one who sees this ? Calling Madness madness is not bashing, it is a constructive criticism, as I would wish Hasselblad survives alive and healthy.

    If this will go wrong, that was it. After the recent lunacy desaster, a second blowup will not be taken.

    And for the fans: it won´t do any good to just close the eyes and sing louder. Photokina will come and there are others out there who are doing their math
    razorsharp and with no pity. It is a cruel world out there. Nearly ok is not good enough any longer.
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  15. #215
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    276
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Nick have you had this in your hands yet and anything you expand on for us.
    Hi Guy
    Thanks for asking. Yes I have held it (all too briefly). All I can say is I love it. It has a nice heft (if that makes sense for such a light thing) and feels beautifully made. Didn't get to explore it properly but I'm working on getting hold of one (who isn't!).

  16. #216
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    12,724
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    40

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Steib View Post

    From a financial view I think it is nonsense, to build leafshutter lenses now, when in a few years lately globalshutter will be status of technology.
    .
    Hi Stefan, Although I would have preordered one had it come with a FPS, i think as it is, it stands to make money for Hasselblad. Customers are forced to use the leaf shutter lenses they offer or there adapter and the H lenses. Even if the future (several years away) brings a global shutter to such a large sensor, mechanical leaf shutters still would find use in many applications.

    They did incorporate the old Nikon iTTL flash for the X1D users. It is a huge bonus.
    Sale Items (http://www.getdpi.com/forum/gear-fs-...8806-sale.html)
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  17. #217
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    There may be even cheaper ways to add a PC port with a third-party adaptor. If I remember correctly from my SB-900s and 910s, Nikon speedlights also have PC ports and can set to trigger only.

    A pocket wizard/elinchrom sky port or whatever other wireless trigger you normally use?

    Yeah I believe even the PCB Cyber Commander is rated to sync up to 1/2500 of a second. I've never tested it but that's what the tech people advertise.

    Not sure anyone caught it in the video above he did say Nikon SB units. Anything Nikon is going to work with this cam. So you just need Nikon triggers and on camera flash Nikon TTL.


    All of the above is understood.

    What is most interesting in the above is that the Nikon Speed-lights have PC ports. Because what I want is a mobile set-up where a TTL speed-light is in the hot-shoe for fill, and a PC port to trigger the Profoto AIR radio for the key strobe light.

  18. #218
    Senior Member Stefan Steib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lindenberg im Allgäu
    Posts
    1,280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    12

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Hi Stefan, Although I would have preordered one had it come with a FPS, i think as it is, it stands to make money for Hasselblad. Customers are forced to use the leaf shutter lenses they offer or there adapter and the H lenses. Even if the future (several years away) brings a global shutter to such a large sensor, mechanical leaf shutters still would find use in many applications.

    They did incorporate the old Nikon iTTL flash for the X1D users. It is a huge bonus.
    Don´t get me wrong Vivek - I welcome that camera and I think that this was long overdue.

    But what really makes me crazy, is to see a 90 % finished job with nice and thoughtful details, spoiled by marketing and a management decision to keep this closed system.
    Hasselblad had gotten a lot of problems from this over the years, just remember their policy with the bodies and only lately opening them for Phase/leaf backs.
    Sinar has pulverized nearly the whole company with this approach and on the other hand Sony and Leica now show how to do this differently.

    arghhhhh.......Even I would have bought one did it have an FPS and we all could start working bringing this to little Cambo Actuses, Shift tilt adapters, Long teles and much much more............grmpfffff
    Last edited by Stefan Steib; 23rd June 2016 at 15:42.
    because photography is more than technology - and " as we have done this all the time "
    facebook:hcam.de - www.hcam.de - www.hartblei.de

  19. #219
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    2,543
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    FPS?
    With best regards, K-H.

  20. #220
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    12,724
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    40

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    FPS?
    Pardon me. FPS = Focal Plane Shutter.

    Stefan, There is room for improvement in Mk II.
    Sale Items (http://www.getdpi.com/forum/gear-fs-...8806-sale.html)
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  21. #221
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,533
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    There may be even cheaper ways to add a PC port with a third-party adaptor. If I remember correctly from my SB-900s and 910s, Nikon speedlights also have PC ports and can set to trigger only.

    A pocket wizard/elinchrom sky port or whatever other wireless trigger you normally use?

    Yeah I believe even the PCB Cyber Commander is rated to sync up to 1/2500 of a second. I've never tested it but that's what the tech people advertise.

    Not sure anyone caught it in the video above he did say Nikon SB units. Anything Nikon is going to work with this cam. So you just need Nikon triggers and on camera flash Nikon TTL.


    All of the above is understood.

    What is most interesting in the above is that the Nikon Speed-lights have PC ports. Because what I want is a mobile set-up where a TTL speed-light is in the hot-shoe for fill, and a PC port to trigger the Profoto AIR radio for the key strobe light.
    Godox I can do that today with a portable flash in the hotshoe of the transmitter and the transmitter in the camera hotshoe . Than use the AD360 II units or there 600 units out there for key and background. Far cheaper system too and on the Hassy just buy Nikon version of flash, transmitters and such.

    I have two portables and three AD360 II units and I can do just about any setup. Total cost 5 strobes about 1800 total with some modifiers . All that Exoensive studio stuff is long gone. I need it I rent it
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  22. #222
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,532
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    FPS?
    I believe that means focal plane shutter.

    There've been some acronym heavy posts about the Hasselblad X1D, both here and elsewhere. For my part, on seeing the announcement, I pulled out my SWC and hugged it: "You've got a new baby brother!" ...
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

  23. #223
    Senior Member Dogs857's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Thursday Island - Australia
    Posts
    273
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Just finished this from start to finish, you blokes are a really tough crowd.

    I don't know of any company that has produced a camera that fits everyone's needs exactly, nor one that makes allowances for a third party market from which they will make no money (except in selling the body). This looks like a big step forward into the mirror less system that a lot of people have been asking for. Is it a perfect camera... no not at all. But that doesn't make it bad or unattractive to those who will benefit from it.

    I love these early product launches, and can't wait to see what the output from this thing is like. I can't afford one right now, but that doesn't mean it won't be on my radar. The 645D is a fantastic camera but if I can shave a couple of kilos of weight from my system and still get great results I could be tempted.

    The only thing I wonder about is using the rear screen with gloves. But I am sure there are ways around this.

    Congratulations Hasselblad, I will watch this with interest.
    Stop chasing gear, start chasing photos instead.

    Jeff, but my friends call me Dogs
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  24. #224
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,533
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    There are buttons on the right that you can use to access the screen so yes you can use gloves it looks like.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  25. #225
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Tucson/Carmel/Jackson Hole
    Posts
    4,226
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    We now have 5 pages and counting filled with pro and cons about a system that hasn't even hit the market yet. This has turned into the now traditional way of posting about a new release. I'm actually surprised (unless I missed it) that someone hasn't posted their thoughts about how much better their 35mm is.

    It looks like we have several months ahead of us till someone's preorder will actually be filled and we can begin a fun with thread; makes me wonder just how many more pages will be added in the meantime.

    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  26. #226
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,533
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Well people are posting. Anyone wanna complain more about that one. Had to be said.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  27. #227
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    12,724
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    40

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Don, in case you missed it, the CDAF in this is going to be s lower than the ones found in m43rds.

    Why go to 35mm?

  28. #228
    Senior Member Joe Colson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    North Carolina, USA
    Posts
    1,550
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    36

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    We now have 5 pages and counting filled with pro and cons about a system that hasn't even hit the market yet. This has turned into the now traditional way of posting about a new release. I'm actually surprised (unless I missed it) that someone hasn't posted their thoughts about how much better their 35mm is.

    It looks like we have several months ahead of us till someone's preorder will actually be filled and we can begin a fun with thread; makes me wonder just how many more pages will be added in the meantime.

    Don, LuLa's got 28 pages and counting in this thread on the same subject. Overkill?

    Joe
    _________________________________
    Joe Colson Photography

  29. #229
    Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,319
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Joe,

    Pages are shorter on LuLa. That thread has a little more than twice the number of posts in this thread.



    Matt

  30. #230
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    311
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    Don, LuLa's got 28 pages and counting in this thread on the same subject. Overkill?

    Joe
    Joe - That's what happens when you release a "game changer." I'm thrilled. I think the X1D (and H6D) will revitalize the company and shut some of the unrelenting critics up.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  31. #231
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Godfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Near San Jose, California
    Posts
    7,532
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    We now have 5 pages and counting filled with pro and cons about a system that hasn't even hit the market yet. This has turned into the now traditional way of posting about a new release. I'm actually surprised (unless I missed it) that someone hasn't posted their thoughts about how much better their 35mm is.

    It looks like we have several months ahead of us till someone's preorder will actually be filled and we can begin a fun with thread; makes me wonder just how many more pages will be added in the meantime.

    I guess when Hasselblad (or Leica, or {name your brand...}) introduce a new camera, the rest of the world stops for a few hours... It's an Event.

    G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  32. #232
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,270
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    52

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    At first I was a bit disappointed then looking at the few photos available I changed my mind.

    I will shoot this like I previously did the Mamiya 7II ... basically a travel camera on monopod mainly at F8 - 11 at the lowest ISO that will work. Fast AF does not matter to me ... most of my subjects are static.
    If I want mojo then my Leica S006 and 100 will suffice.

    My Fuji X-Pro and lenses will be dropped and this will be for me a perfect kit to replace them.

    Placed my order this morning. Now to decide on the best PC adapter for my Profoto strobes when I need more than the Pocket Wizard to sync.

    Bob
    Keep me posted Bob - I'll be using the camera for exactly same purposes as you - my number 1 filter for buying anything has become ease of use and carry around ability - this camera will be a huge upgrade on MF Leica/Alpa/Sinar/Mamiya/Hasselblad systems I no longer like using - because it is all too big and clumsy/futzy for me these days. Leica M ( because I love the lenses) and Hasselblad X ( because of 50 megapixels) - everything else can go to those who have more use for it than I - at 20 cents in the dollar.

    Pete

  33. #233
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts and Vermont
    Posts
    514
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    I spoke to my dealer today about placing an order on the X1D. He told me has been blown away by how many pre-orders his customers have expressed interest in placing in the 24 hours since the launch video. 30! I suspected that the X1D hit the right buttons for a lot of us, but I had no idea it would be this successful. I am happy for Hasselblad, as they rejected the really bad trajectory that they were on and returned to their roots, and are now being rewarded for that. It's a good story. Let's just hope that the execution matches the expectations.
    hcubell
    www.howardcubell.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  34. #234
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Singer Island, Florida
    Posts
    114
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Its kind of a problem with my Sonys. So this is kinda a big one for landscape
    Guy can you explain your statement, please. You have commented twice about long exposure issues, with Sony, on this thread. If you could elucidate me (us) about this point I would appreciate it as I am considering this camera. Thanks.

  35. #235
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Singer Island, Florida
    Posts
    114
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    FPS?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Pardon me. FPS = Focal Plane Shutter.
    Not to worry. As a sports, and bird shoot FPS usually means something else to me, too.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  36. #236
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    k-hawinkler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The "Land of Enchantment"
    Posts
    2,543
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by BlinkingEye View Post
    Not to worry. As a sports, and bird shoot FPS usually means something else to me, too.
    Exactly!

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FPS

    My favorite for FPS: French Pastry School!
    With best regards, K-H.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  37. #237
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,533
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by BlinkingEye View Post
    Guy can you explain your statement, please. You have commented twice about long exposure issues, with Sony, on this thread. If you could elucidate me (us) about this point I would appreciate it as I am considering this camera. Thanks.
    I'm not a engineer but I can take a stab at this. This comes from a user prespective , maybe a digital tech will stroll in and expand on it.

    The big trick here is cooling and being in tempatures that do not cause heat. So depending on outside temps these can very long but those kind of results are best at near freezing to about 45 degrees. Obviously heat causes noise so cooler the better on any cam. I think part of the issue with Sony is just shear electronics packed in a very small space and don't get the breathing room. Now these medium format sensors are designed for long exposures too and they can go a very long time. Back when I shot the CCD sensors you could only go about a minute. Today with CMOS which supposedly runs color by nature they can get up to a hour. If we look at the specs of this CMOS sensor with Leaf, Phase and Hassy I think they are all reporting about the same times and this has a lot to do with the packaging and air channels they put into these backs. I'm not the engineer guy but there is a lot going on design wise too to accomplish this. The A7r for some reason does better here than the A7r II and I don't really have a clear reason why that is. Maybe someone with a engineering background can explain this better than me. I just know we kinda hit a wall badly with the A7r II. The backs and different sensor build can go on for quite sometime depending on the heat factor. Getting close to a hour exposure can be a very useful tool.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  38. #238
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,270
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    52

    Thumbs up Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I think if you take this in a simplistic approach to photography this clicks the I am a landscape shooter box. BIG TIME

    There is not much you need but more glass. Long exposure , good ISO, Lets say decent AF for now, light, less bulky and i really don't need stabilization your mostly on a tripod anyway. Your wife thinks it looks cool than WTF you got to lose. I personally still need my Sony

    Someone show me a downside for a landscape shooter here as I do not see a downside at all . Hassy aint stupid guys they targeted you like freaking laser beam. Thanks we appreciate it. LOL

    Here is the biggy you all know my past with 5 Phase backs , tech cams, DSLR bodies this is a freaking steal coming from all that.

    Now if i kept all this thoughts and did not think about my other needs that i am perfect. So what I have to do is keep my Sonys for the other stuff but I can certainly reduce the amount of glass. I would keep my 24-70 and 85 GM that would be the PR kit
    you got it Guy - spot on.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  39. #239
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,533
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Peter I'm moving to peanut butter and jelly sandwiches 3 times a day for 6 months. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  40. #240
    Senior Member bensonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,230
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    700

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    A friend of mine who is a long time very high end Canon and m4/3rds gear user just pre-ordered the X1D and 45mm lens with the intention of building a light weight, high quality MF kit over time for landscape photography etc. He is not a previous Hasselblad or MF user. He also has the patience for Hasselblad to release more XCD lenses in the months and years ahead.

    Just one data point to suggest that Hasselblad may have expanded their customer base and market with the X1D.

    Gary
    Last edited by bensonga; 23rd June 2016 at 21:39.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  41. #241
    Senior Member etrigan63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Earth, Sol System (near Miami, FL)
    Posts
    2,467
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Again, the realities of my economic situation prevent me from running out and pre-ordering one of these beauties. That said, I REALLY need to use one for my photographic work to see if it suits me. I know it will be fine for my fine art stuff, but for my real estate/product work it remains to be seen. I may have to get a new Mac later this year besides a laptop for field work so those are priorities. I wonder if Cambo will make an XCD back plate for the Actus Mini as this would seem to be made for that sort of gear. Only Photokina will tell...

    On other fronts, my FB X1D Group has had 22 people join in the first 24 hours.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography | Sony 𝛼7 II - 2 Sony FE Zooms - Lots of Canon FD Glass | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  42. #242
    Senior Member bensonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,230
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    700

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by etrigan63 View Post
    On other fronts, my FB X1D Group has had 22 people join in the first 24 hours.
    +1.

    Gary

  43. #243
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    8,543
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1964

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Peter I'm moving to peanut butter and jelly sandwiches 3 times a day for 6 months. LOL
    "... peanut butter and jelly sandwiches..."?

    Aren't we supposed to keep a civilized tone on this forum?
    Things I sell: Stock photography by Jorgen Udvang at Alamy
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  44. #244
    Senior Member ErikKaffehr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Nyköping Sweden
    Posts
    923
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Hi Stefan.

    I would agree that it would have been nice to have a good FP shutter on the X1D. The X1D starts with just two lenses, similar to when the Sony A7 was introduced. Due to that camera having a short flange distance and an FPS it got good sales as it brought new technolgy to old lenses.

    The new Hassy does not have a shutter in the body, so it cannot be the jack of all trades the A7 is. I don't think Hasselblad wanted to make a jack of all trades system, but a functional entry level system.

    I am glad they made the X1D, a bold step for Hasselblad.

    I don't think I would buy the X1D FP shutter or not, as I sort of decided to not put any more money into MFD.

    I hope that buyers will be happy.

    Best regards
    Erik


    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Steib View Post
    the lenses Nitto builds for Hasselblad are "on Order". The same company probably could have built an f2.0/30mm, f2.0/55mm and an f2.0/90mm Manual Focus.
    Make these with a flange focal distance of 25-30mm and I bet a lot of Sony users or other mirrorless camera users Like Leica SL would have been potential customers for these as well !
    With adapters all the Zeiss F Lenses like the 2.0/110 or a Mamiya 1,9/80mm would have been available, a Canon FD-L 1,2/85mm, and many many other lenses which have the image circle easily could have been used.

    The H Line as a pro Camera line with backs would have been clearly separated and also shaped especially for the task it was made.

    This new camera would get totally new customers into the Hasselblad world and build a 2nd column for earnings.

    From a financial view I think it is nonsense, to build leafshutter lenses now, when in a few years lately globalshutter will be status of technology.
    It remembers me to a bridge the german Bahn built for an existing line of trains, and shortly after they had finished the bridge, the line to that city is closed.

    Am I the only one who sees this ? Calling Madness madness is not bashing, it is a constructive criticism, as I would wish Hasselblad survives alive and healthy.

    If this will go wrong, that was it. After the recent lunacy desaster, a second blowup will not be taken.

    And for the fans: it won´t do any good to just close the eyes and sing louder. Photokina will come and there are others out there who are doing their math
    razorsharp and with no pity. It is a cruel world out there. Nearly ok is not good enough any longer.

  45. #245
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,394
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Steib View Post

    What really makes me crazy, is to see a 90 % finished job with nice and thoughtful details, spoiled by marketing and a management decision to keep this closed system.

    Hasselblad had gotten a lot of problems from this over the years, just remember their policy with the bodies and only lately opening them for Phase/leaf backs.

    Sinar has pulverized nearly the whole company with this approach and on the other hand Sony and Leica now show how to do this differently.

    arghhhhh.......Even I would have bought one did it have an FPS and we all could start working bringing this to little Cambo Actuses, Shift tilt adapters, Long teles and much much more............grmpfffff
    While I understand your Point of View, I'm not sure I get your reasoning.

    Hasselblad has primarily been a leaf-shutter system. That was, and remains, a key competitive positioning and their heritage. The Hasselblad FPS cameras weren't very successful because there was so many other choices (Pentax, Contax, Mamiya, Bronica), compared to leaf-shutter based choices. While Mamiya and Fuji made leaf-shutter based MF systems cameras, they did not have a FPS either, were primarily for studio, and other than rangefinders like the Mamiya 6/7, were not portable like a V camera nor did the RFs offer long lens options. We've never been able to slap competitive FPS lenses on a V camera … the most successful MF camera in history.

    How does Sony and Leica show how to do this differently? How does one turn any Sony camera into a leaf-shutter system? How does Leica? The FPS SL purportedly will take Leica CS (Central Shutter) lenses, but they will NOT operate in leaf-shutter mode. The S system camera does have a FPS, but you cannot disable it when shooting in CS mode.

    How much more would this camera have cost if it also had a FPS while still maintaining leaf-shutter ability with their existing H lenses? How much bigger would it have been? How much more complex?

    If we look at what the technological future may bring some unknown years down the road, e-shutter may be viable on a sensor this large. Then the FPS would be obsolete, but the leaf-shutter won't be. However, that is the uncertain future and this is NOW. Now H users have a fantastic camera to supplement their H kit, or those for whom a Leaf-Shutter system is a must have (like me and a lot of my photo friends), it is here in a relatively tiny form!

    I agree that it is 90% there, but not for the reasons you mention. Besides, 90% is a lot better than more 1st iterations of digital cameras.

    I also think that IF there is a market for it, some enterprising MacGivver will invent solid state adapters to use some Leica CS lenses and maybe Schneider LS optics. I also wonder if the mechanical V to H adapter will work on this?

    Personally, I'm way over adapting non-system legacy lenses to other cameras. I understand the fascination and creative opportunities but am more interested in streamlining my gear than having a vault full of stuff anymore.

    I could see this camera with a native 30mm, native 45mm for reportage, an HC-100/2.2 for portraits, and the HC-210/4 for the long end. I'd be great if the 1.7X also worked.

    - Marc
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  46. #246
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,458
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Need... Money... Bad...
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  47. #247
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    12,724
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    40

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Steib View Post
    Right now I will leave here, the Brexit is happening, Cameron has resigned, the Pound is imploding, the EU has started to erase itself.
    We will have some very different problems very soon.
    Yeah, big, very big changes coming!

  48. #248
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Munich, Germany
    Posts
    207
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    I think I would want to know how well the adapter to HC / HCD lenses works (i.e. AF same or worse as with native lenses) before making any sort of decision.

    It is also a Kina year, so maybe something else will come out, in a similar market. Although Hassi has probably one of the nicest lens offerings.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  49. #249
    Senior Member Hulyss Bowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,016
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    What is good with Photography, gear and forums is that they are not about, nor care about politics. So please do not speak politics... at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by miska View Post
    I think I would want to know how well the adapter to HC / HCD lenses works (i.e. AF same or worse as with native lenses) before making any sort of decision.

    It is also a Kina year, so maybe something else will come out, in a similar market. Although Hassi has probably one of the nicest lens offerings.
    Yes Kina will be interesting. As I said elsewhere, Hasseblad team (or some team members) already seen the fuji prototype. So fuji is comming with something this is 100% sure. Now, I was not able to get more info about it, if it will be fixed lens (i hope, for the price) or interchangeable lens. I pray it will be a fixed 80f3.2 like a modern heliar formula at a price around 4K max.
    Kind regards - Hulyss - hulyssbowman.com & LuSh
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  50. #250
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    84
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    29

    Re: Hasselblad X1D

    Quote Originally Posted by miska View Post
    I think I would want to know how well the adapter to HC / HCD lenses works (i.e. AF same or worse as with native lenses) before making any sort of decision.

    It is also a Kina year, so maybe something else will come out, in a similar market. Although Hassi has probably one of the nicest lens offerings.
    My HB Rep told me that contrary to rumours elsewhere the adapter will work with all HC and HCD lenses regardless of age. BUT in manual focus only - noAF. Also there are no plans for a V adapter. Query whether the existing CF adapter will work on top of the X1D. Anyone got any thoughts as to whether or not that might be feasible?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •