Site Sponsors
Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Hasselblad X1D

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Hasselblad X1D

Exposure and color balancing- both could have been done a bit better.

Wouldn't it be better though if the size aspects are kept out of discussions here?

With the Pentax 645Z already in the market, this has been discussed ad nauseum already.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tcdeveau View Post
    This is a good point about the size of the adaptor. I attached the only pic I've seen of the H-X adaptor on the web so far. It's not small. It may still be in prototype form so the final form may change.
    The adaptor looks to be a good 50-60mm in depth. I too had hoped for something smaller but looks like the HC lenses need that extra depth to maintain flange focal distance. That would probably limit me to only a few HC lenses or maybe only one..... the 100mm.

Victor
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by vjbelle View Post
    When I had my A7Rll I found that focus peaking never got me the accuracy that 100% magnification got me. I would be close but to get really in focus I needed magnification. Just me...... if you need peaking I guess its not there.

Victor
    My opinion of A7RII focus peaking is similar. I have turned it off and use magnification instead. It works very well. IMO, that is a problem with Sony's implementation, not with focus peaking per se. E.g., focus peaking in Leica Q is very well implemented and is really helpful (it is combined with magnification).

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The adaptor looks to be a good 50-60mm in depth. I too had hoped for something smaller but looks like the HC lenses need that extra depth to maintain flange focal distance. That would probably limit me to only a few HC lenses or maybe only one..... the 100mm.

Victor
    It has got to be less than 60mm.

The camera registry of Hasselblad H System = 61.63mm

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Let's stay on the X1D. Folks comparisons can come later when we have some real images in hand. We have seen this sensor and I actually have tested it in a Leaf Credo back which is posted under the review section. Might be a good time to read it again. As far as sensors go this sensor is tops in its class. This X1D is more about function and features which comparing them is fine let's just get to images later
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    My intent was not to piss on anyone's parade, but provide my own opinion about this new camera. That's allowed on these forums, is it not? My opinions are my opinions, and not those of a paid reviewer, manufacturer, sales rep, or pro photographer operating under an NDA. I'm coming at this from several perspectives:

1. I'm a medium-format shooter (although I recently sold my Pentax 645Z). I've been shooting medium-format since 2010 when I acquired an H4D-40. Since then, H4D-50, Phase One DF/IQ180, Leica S2, Leica S Type 006, and 645Z. In there somewhere is a Cambo and an Alpa (with the IQ180). I've come to know the strengths and weaknesses of these cameras far too intimately, and have learned considerably from experts on GetDPI.
    2. I also shoot 35mm and spent many years using Nikon DSLRs, up to and including the D810. Once again, over the period starting with the D100, I learned what those DSLRs could and could not do. I took a short foray into Leica territory with the M9 and M Type 240, but that was brief. My main (and only) full-frame 35mm camera now is a Sony a7RII.
    3. I'm an electrical engineer by education and profession and take more than a passing interest in the hardware and software/firmware technology embodied in all of these wonderful instruments. As an electronics gadgeteer, I've experimented with various of these hardware and software/firmware technologies to understand them better and become a more knowledgeable buyer and user.
    4. I'm almost 69 years old and have less patience than I once had for corporations to "eventually" incorporate new tech in their products. My impatience is not limited to cameras. I'm just as impatient with Apple for example.

My comment about IBIS and or VR/OSS/IS had more to do with my own use of, and experience with, using those features. While I once could hold a camera steady in my hands and shoot reliably at 1/30 sec. or slower, I'm unable to do that now on a consistent basis (without IBIS/VR/OSS/IS). And with a 50MP camera, it may be unrealistic to think that anyone can reliably shoot at slow shutter speeds and get sharp results. I have no doubt that the ISO performance of the X1D will be stellar. It uses the same sensor as the 645Z, and my experience with that camera showed almost noiseless results at ISO 6400. Yes, the X1D is spec'ed to ISO 25,600, but I doubt whether any serious travel shooter will push it that far.

My expectations of technology companies like Hasselblad are not "absurdly out into the stratosphere" or "nonsensical". All of the technological goodies I've referred to require no new inventions or breakthroughs. The Leica SL, for example, has a 4.41MP EVF to view a 24MP image. The 645Z has an articulating rear LCD. IBIS/VR/OSS/IS are knowns, not unknowns. Perhaps there were design constraints that prevented Hasselblad from incorporating those technologies into the X1D. Perhaps it was cost-to-manufacture translated to price and margin. Perhaps it was timing. I don't know. I was simply opining on their absence, not bashing the camera.

Having said all that, I'll likely buy one. I'm attracted to new tech and enjoy the learning experience. And for the record, I'm very happy.

Joe

P.S. I use my real name in online forums, not a pseudonym. I don't say anything online that I wouldn't say to the person's face. I don't bash or troll.

Joe -- apologies if I offended. I wasn't trying to bash you personally. I was just disappointed and frustrated that Hasselblad comes out with a seemingly great product, and so many people seem to enjoy nit-picking it to death. I don't include you in that camp, especially after your follow-up post; your opinions are absolutely valid, and I hear what you're saying. I simply felt that, with f/3.5 lenses, no mirror slap, and usable images up to, say, ISO 6400, the Hasselblad seems like a terrific travel camera. If it included VR/IS, a larger sensor (as some seem to want), faster lenses, etc., it would be bigger and heavier, and then people would complain about that. I think they chose the right middle ground. VR/IS would indeed be nice if it didn't make the whole setup larger and heavier.

I have nothing to hide. The nickname I chose when I signed up here was based on a long-ago email. My name is Ethan Pines; website is www.ethanpines.com. Until 10 minutes ago I had never filled out any of my user info here on getdpi, as I've been overly busy for about the past decade and have had higher priorities. I, too, try to maintain civil discourse in online forums. Sorry if I got snarky in that last post.
    www.ethanpines.com
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I might have missed it but what about auto sensor cleaning ? If it doesn't have some sort of mechanism for that the sensor will be a lot harder to clean than on a detachable back

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    I might have missed it but what about auto sensor cleaning ? If it doesn't have some sort of mechanism for that the sensor will be a lot harder to clean than on a detachable back
    In case there is no auto sensor cleaning, consider: the smaller the flange focal distance, the easier is it to clean the sensor. I.e., it is quite easy to blow away dust from the Sony A7rII sensor. I assume it should be easy on other mirrorless cameras as well. IMO, anything that a self cleaning system can fix, can be easily cleaned manually with a blower.

Post Thanks / Like

I really do agree..... it should be easy to clean the sensor since its pretty big and not prohibitively deep.

Victor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CSP View Post
    before making such claims it would help to learn a little bit about white balancing

Before assuming things and generally being a douche, it would help to ask if I had done white balancing.
    Yes, I did. On the same spot. Manually.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by epforever View Post
    I have nothing to hide. The nickname I chose when I signed up here was based on a long-ago email. My name is Ethan Pines; website is www.ethanpines.com. Until 10 minutes ago I had never filled out any of my user info here on getdpi, as I've been overly busy for about the past decade and have had higher priorities. I, too, try to maintain civil discourse in online forums. Sorry if I got snarky in that last post.
    Ethan ... I seriously enjoy your hard work !
    Kind regards - Hulyss - hulyssbowman.com & LuSh

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Hasselblad?

As the XD lenses are focus by wire and do not have distance / DOF scales on them, will the interface menu on camera have an option to dial in a set focus distance electronically and give indication of DOF at the set aperture? I think this feature is essential for many shooters considering the lack of the above. Hopefully this info would also be discretely displayed also in the EVF.

Thanks!

TJV

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I've never used a mirrorless camera, nor even a Leica rangefinder camera. My experience has always been with SLRs and DSLRs, namely Bronica GS-1, Rollei 6008, and various Nikons.

This may seem like a very novice question, but I'll pose it anyway. Is there a steep learning curve with a mirrorless camera? On a wedding, will I be wishing for something that my DSLR does that a mirrorless does not?

For those of you with your Sony A7s and Fuji XT-1s, please share your knowledge and experiences with me, especially in a fast-paced environment like a wedding or similar event.

Maybe stupid questions, but I am wanting to like the idea of the X1D, I just don't know what I don't know. I had been saving my pennies for a used Leica S2, but this may be a better option.

I thank you in advance for sharing with me your thoughts and opinions.

Rick

Post Thanks / Like

Still trying to figure out if this one's for me. I love the concept of MF with it's inherent IQ advantage and the higher resolution allowing for larger prints. The downsides so far have been the cost/value as with Phase or the weight/bulk as with the Pentax.

The X1D does come as a welcome change and is certainly tempting.

'I don't do people', as I keep reminding my wife at most family events. So the shallow DOF and leaf shutter advantage is wasted on me.

This camera won't work for actively moving subjects and rapid fire imaging as in wildlife photography.

That leaves travel and landscapes, the two things I love to do and do a lot.

An ideal travel camera though, needs to be small (which this one is), with small, fast(ish) lenses and most importantly good, quick AF (does not need to be like a 1DX, but not like the X1D either - at least from what I've heard so far). It may fit the bill, albeit partially. For me, my Rx1R2 is far easier, smaller and has enough resolution etc to satisfy my needs, even for large prints.

That only leaves landscape photography. This might be the best use for the X1D, for me at least. Small body, no need for stabilization, no need for fast lenses (use f8 or f11 most of the time), AF a non-issue, enough choice in lenses including legacy with adapter. The image resolution is large enough for huge prints. The only thing that remains to be seen is if it is, like the Pentax very sensitive to overexposure or not. The lack of an articulating LCD is a significant disappointment for me, but I could live without it.

So, would this be enough for most landscape needs? Possibly. I need to wait for more reviews before I sell my Pentax.

Certainly having a rethink about it though. Perhaps there will be a surprise from another company later this year.

Interesting times for sure.
    Too much to list, let's just say I have a bad case of GAS.........

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a possibility to use it with CaptureOne or at least Lightroom ? I shall never use Phocus
    thanks
    Leica M

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lightroom and Adobe Raw yes but no on C1
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

thank you

too bad that one cannot choose RAW or DNG
    Leica M

Post Thanks / Like

If you want the best results, use Phocus. Hasselblad and phase files look awful in Lightroom.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a large overstatement, don't you think? I've converted plenty of my Credo files in LR and they look fine. And Phase doesn't even have an open sharing of info with Adobe like 'Blad does.

Even so, Phocus is actually a good programme and very easy to use in its current iteration. I don't know why people are scared of it? Is it because they have nightmares about working with Flex Colour with old Imacon backs and Flextight scanners or something?

Quote Originally Posted by synn View Post
    If you want the best results, use Phocus. Hasselblad and phase files look awful in Lightroom.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickgrainger View Post
    Okay, I've never used a mirrorless camera, nor even a Leica rangefinder camera. My experience has always been with SLRs and DSLRs, namely Bronica GS-1, Rollei 6008, and various Nikons.

This may seem like a very novice question, but I'll pose it anyway. Is there a steep learning curve with a mirrorless camera? On a wedding, will I be wishing for something that my DSLR does that a mirrorless does not?

For those of you with your Sony A7s and Fuji XT-1s, please share your knowledge and experiences with me, especially in a fast-paced environment like a wedding or similar event.

Maybe stupid questions, but I am wanting to like the idea of the X1D, I just don't know what I don't know. I had been saving my pennies for a used Leica S2, but this may be a better option.

Rick
    Hi Rick, as you may know I am a wedding shooter … albeit less these days than in past years.

There is no quick answer to your question. The best answer would be to rent a Sony A7R-II and take it to a wedding to do a few non-critical shots. I did it that way at first.

My experiences:

Previously, I worked with the standard DSLRs as the main wedding system … Canon, Nikon then the Sony A900 DSLR, on to the Sony A99 SLT (my first introduction to an electronic viewfinder).

These are all gone now and I use a Sony A7R-II backed up by a A7R.

These main work-horse cameras were supplemented by a medium format digital camera kit, starting with a Contax 645 and Kodak back, onto a Hasselblad H system, up to the Leica S(006) I now use … all optical viewfinder systems BTW.

I think the learning curve is less about mirror-less than it is about using an electronic viewfinder (EVF) in the various wedding situations.

Mirrorless with EVF isn't the same as a rangefinder with an optical viewfinder (I also have used a Leica M for over 40 years). It is TTL viewing the same as a DSLR with some distinct differences.

Obviously, mirror-less cameras are smaller, lighter, easier to carry all day at a wedding. That advantage is also a desirable attribute of this new MFD camera from Hasselblad.

Mirrorless cameras can be set so you can see exactly what you will get right in the viewfinder (menu item: Setting Effect On). Hard to make an exposure error. If you use a TTL speed-light in the hot shoe, the camera reverts to Setting Effect Off, which is a constant view like a DSLR provides.

However, if you use off-camera strobes you have to manually change it to Setting Effect Off when shooting in a dark venue at 1/200th at f/8 or the viewfinder would be black or very dark. I tell you this because it adds a level of complexity to using a EVF while switching back-and-forth between available light with YSWYG, and use of lighting. Practice makes it swifter, but never as fast as a DSLR.

Also, if you are a shoot immediately check LCD like you can do with a Canon/Nikon DSLR, an EVF either immediately shows the last shot in the viewfinder which I found incredibly disorienting, or it has to be shut off and you have to press a review button to see the last shot on the LCD/Viewfinder (i.e., slower review) The latter is what I use when shooting weddings. I've now gotten used to this so it is less of an issue, but it did take some time.

The mirror-less cameras I've used (A7R and newer A7R-II) are different from the current DSLRs, and in lower light like a moody first dance scenario the viewfinder brightens which screws with your night vision, and it gets grainy (video gain) and smears when the camera is panned to the next still shot. I've also come to ignore this so it's less of an issue than at first.

I think you would miss your DSLR for awhile, maybe a long while. But that is the work-horse camera … rather than a MFD camera to use for more specialized work. I use my S camera for formals, portraits, and when using lighting both outside with a higher sync speed, and indoors with powerful off-camera Profotos … but DSLRs and even the A7R-II are faster for the more routine shots like processionals, dancing, and candids, etc..

As far as which between the S2 and this camera, this camera is CMOS and offers higher ISOs, plus with no mirror is easier to hand-hold … which I think would make it more usable at a wedding than the S2. On the other hand the S2 has a big bright optical viewfinder and offers up to 1/4000 focal plane shutter in concert with an array of pretty fast f/2, f/2.5, f/2.8 lenses.

If it were a few years ago, and I were looking for a MFD wedding kit to work with a DSLR, I'd get this new Hasselblad without doubt. I could see it slowly taking over more and more of the DSLR stuff as I got used to it, and eventually the DSLR with a standard 24-70 would be the secondary camera just for those really fast situations.

Hope this helps.

- Marc
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rick
    Two things:

1. Do not listen to the bunch that an optical view finder is what makes a "real" camera.

2. It (liveview, tilt LCD, EVF) is lot more versatile than using SLRs.

Check out the 9 year old who is using a Fuji mirrorless for weddings.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0853f8bf1e642
    Sale Items (http://www.getdpi.com/forum/gear-fs-...8806-sale.html)
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjv View Post
    Dear Hasselblad?

As the XD lenses are focus by wire and do not have distance / DOF scales on them, will the interface menu on camera have an option to dial in a set focus distance electronically and give indication of DOF at the set aperture? I think this feature is essential for many shooters considering the lack of the above. Hopefully this info would also be discretely displayed also in the EVF.

Thanks!

TJV
    Did not know this or make that observation...... I'm not a big fan of 'focus by wire' lenses. Got rid of every one of the Sony's I had and used only Zeiss or Leica on my A7Rll.

Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I shot optical finders for almost 40 years when I switched it took about a month to get used to the EVF. After that you do not even notice you are using a EVF. Frankly I will never go back to a optical. I also will never go back to a Nikon or Canon mirrored camera. I will stay mirrorless for the rest of my time.

Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Have to agree..... OVF's are way over glorified. A good EVF will change your way of shooting forever. Just the ability to quickly magnify to 100% pixels while handholding and nail focus is something that could never be done with an OVF. Want to see the histogram?...... it can be seen in the EVF if you want. Want grid lines?.... piece of cake. Go for it.....

Victor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hasselblad Official View Post
    Hi TJV,

1: Will the HTS 1.5 work with the X1D and H lens adaptor, and will adjustments be transmitted to metadata for automatic corrections in Phocus? - Yes, it is in the plan. If it works fine without compromising optical and image quality, the feature will be introduced.

// The Hasselblad team
    So to clarify, there is possibly the plan where you could take the x1d body, add an H adaptor, add the hts, then add an H lens? For something that would equate to a field of view of roughly 30-35mm in 35mm terms, what amount of front rise and fall would this hts set up give? I am trying to see if this could be usable for some architecture to avoid keystoning.

Post Thanks / Like

I've used some of the finest optical finders known to man including Hasselblad H. I'm now using a toy grade EVF (M240). Although I admit I was concerned when switching I don't feel my work has suffered a jot as a consequence.
    http://www.keithlaban.co.uk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Warwick View Post
    So to clarify, there is possibly the plan where you could take the x1d body, add an H adaptor, add the hts, then add an H lens? For something that would equate to a field of view of roughly 30-35mm in 35mm terms, what amount of front rise and fall would this hts set up give? I am trying to see if this could be usable for some architecture to avoid keystoning.
    The thing is it is not practical. The hts is 1.5 crop on a crop sensor so the movements will be kind of limited and you defo loose WA shots possibility. So in all logic, it is useless.

If the XD platform meet success I think they will probably make a dedicated TS tool for this camera OR a TS lens or two (more easy).

Just my wild guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I thought about this last night and not sure my thinking is correct but let's see what you all think. The HTS is a 1.5 crop factor considered on a full frame MF back. Now with a crop sensor is it still 1.5 times factor. It's a smaller sensor. I'm thinking maybe wrongly here it maybe a 1.3.

Was I drinking to much when I thought of this, maybe. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Yea all this format difference are a mess.

The HTS is x1.5multiplier whatever sensor behind so it is still 1.5

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone seen an image of a lens hood?
    Lens specs on the HB site would be nice also.

Post Thanks / Like

B&H has most lens specs. The 45 weighs in at 450G - very light. The 90 doesn't have a weight spec but I would guess around 750G - just a guess.

Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Why no C1? Anyone have any idea? Eleanor

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Lightroom and Adobe Raw yes but no on C1

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Rick
    Rick,

There's basically no learning curve at all. You use a mirrorless camera just like an SLR. It has more capabilities in terms of what the viewfinder can do, and has a slightly different set of strengths and weaknesses, that's all.

For something like a wedding or newsworthy event, I find there's virtually no difference at all between using a DSLR and using any mirrorless camera. Whether the mirrorless camera is a Sony A7, a Fuji X, an Olympus E-M1, a Leica SL, or whatever, and the DSLR is (take your pick) Nikon, Canon, Pentax, etc ... the differences are between what specific camera capabilities are, not because of the viewfinder design. With a mirrorless camera, you see the image as it will be captured, live, and can make exposure and focusing adjustments that place your exposures with more precision and accuracy. You can also set up the viewfinder to give you more or less information, different kinds of focusing aids, etc. You can view at taking aperture without the viewfinder going dark, for example, and really get a good look at the actual DoF you'll get. You can set the exposure system to indicate where highlights will be blown out and where shadow values will be lost in some cameras (Olympus is particularly good at this). You can magnify the view to obtain exacting critical focus even with an extreme wide angle stopped down.

Of course, there are some things that DSLRs have an advantage for. A mirrorless camera shows you an electronic view of what the sensor has just seen (note past tense) where a DSLR shows you an optical view of what the sensor will see (note future tense). This means that you have to adjust your understanding of what's in the viewfinder: with a DSLR, you're always projecting a little into the future whereas with a mirrorless camera, you're always seeing a bit behind the moment. The difference is small for single-frame still photos but there—you have to learn how to anticipate The Moment a little differently.

That difference gets magnified in sequence capture and this is where the DSLR has its biggest advantage: for sequence captures of fast moving subjects, you are always seeing a little flip frame animation of what you're going to capture a tiny bit ahead of the capture. With a mirrorless camera, many of the viewfinders cannot keep up with the capture rate at maximum speed so you only get to see an occasional frame of what was in the viewfinder when the capture occurred. For those shooting fast moving, motion critical work, a DSLR remains the best tool.

There are also differences in things like autofocus system responsiveness and control, and all the plethora of AF system modes. This is a highly volatile area of development, debate, and it's also highly dependent upon exactly what sort of subject matter you shoot, what specific camera and lens you use. I use AF very little of the time so I'll just pass over it, what I have to say there is trivial and likely not credible to those who depend on AF and things like follow-focus capability, etc.

For the kind of subject matter that I shoot (people, parties, still life, landscape, motor racing occasionally, urban street, macro, night scenes), I've found a mirrorless camera like the Leica SL or Olympus E-M1 blows away any of the DSLRs I've used by a healthy bit. The viewfinder flexibility and the precision with which I can set focus and exposure is the key. For what I use a DSLR for, these mirrorless cameras simply do a better job.

I'd love an X1D, but I already have the Leica SL and a complement of lenses that covers all my needs. And the quality is already more than just satisfying so ... I just can't rationalize spending the money given the initial X1D lens offerings*at this moment. When the ultra-wide lens I'd like comes about—then I'm going to be in trouble. Because ultra-wide with medium format DoF dynamics, resolution, and Hasselblad SWC class lens quality will present a nearly irresistible draw.

G

PS: The term "mirrorless" always bugs me. Identifying a class of things by saying what they lack is idiotic. Do we refer to our automobiles as "horseless carriages" anymore? It's just not a good way to identify or describe things. The right term is elusive, but "lens interchangeable, view electronic" or LIVE camera would be a better term. Of course, others once said that in a different order to create the EVIL label ... that was snarkiness at work. But "mirrorless" is common parlance for the present so I'll put up with it.
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by eleanorbrown View Post
    C1 (being a product of Phase One) never has, and has said that they never will, support their Medium Format competitors. If they ever change their mind, the'll get me back as a customer in a heartbeat, but I won't be bullied away from a camera system I prefer.

--Matt
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Direct competitor in MF. Can't use Phocus for Phase either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Warwick View Post
    So to clarify, there is possibly the plan where you could take the x1d body, add an H adaptor, add the hts, then add an H lens?
    Yes, of course.

For something that would equate to a field of view of roughly 30-35mm in 35mm terms, what amount of front rise and fall would this hts set up give? I am trying to see if this could be usable for some architecture to avoid keystoning.
    Then you would use the HCD28 on the HTS. It will correspond to a focal length of 42mm and have about the same field of view as a 33mm lens on the X1d. You will be able to rise of fall 17mm.

I don't quite understand the negative posts about the HTS, it actually works quite well.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Direct competitor in MF. Can't use Phocus for Phase either.

Does Iridient work?
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Does Iridient work?
    Should..... they have always supported both the Phase and Hassy file formats and already support the Phase IQ3-100.

Victor

Post Thanks / Like

As others have posted they will never support Hassy file formats - but that would never stop me from a Hassy purchase. I'm sure Phocus has the ability to produce a very nice file.

Victor

Post Thanks / Like

I thought about this last night and not sure my thinking is correct but let's see what you all think. The HTS is a 1.5 crop factor considered on a full frame MF back. Now with a crop sensor is it still 1.5 times factor. It's a smaller sensor. I'm thinking maybe wrongly here it maybe a 1.3.

Was I drinking to much when I thought of this, maybe. Lol
    You would have to get the 24 HCD which corresponds to a 19mm FF FoV. With the adapter, we are talking about 28mm FF FoV f/7,2, Not that attractive, at least for me … and for the price point I could also get a CVF 50c, Alpa/Arca, Rodenstock Set-up.

Post Thanks / Like

i am not sure this system was designed to use with hts. this is digital mamiya 7, thats it. look at and plan to use it for what it is designed for.

Quote Originally Posted by jerome_m View Post
    Yes, of course.

Then you would use the HCD28 on the HTS. It will correspond to a focal length of 42mm and have about the same field of view as a 33mm lens on the X1d. You will be able to rise of fall 17mm.

I don't quite understand the negative posts about the HTS, it actually works quite well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by msadat View Post
    i am not sure this system was designed to use with hts.
    This system with the announced HC lens adapter is just like an H6D-50c without the flipping mirror but with a built-in live view focus ability, which would be very convenient with the HTS (no AF with the HTS on the H6D). It would make little sense for Hasselblad to not support the HTS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by msadat View Post
    i am not sure this system was designed to use with hts. this is digital mamiya 7, thats it. look at and plan to use it for what it is designed for.
    ++
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hasselblad X1

As others have posted they will never support Hassy file formats - but that would never stop me from a Hassy purchase. I'm sure Phocus has the ability to produce a very nice file.

Victor
    The newest version of Phocus is much improved. It is a fairly simple to operate raw file converter, and produces quite beautiful color with Hasselblad files. You can also now make local adjustments but only with the basic tools. There is no catalog or (thankfully) Sessions. You just go to the folder where the files you want to work on are stored and open it.
    My one concern is that the highlight recovery and shadow fill tools do not seem nearly as capable as those tools in C1 and LR. This is with my older Hasselblad files from 2006-2009. The results with newer files using the 50mp Sony sensor could possibly be different.
    hcubell
    www.howardcubell.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hulyss Bowman View Post
    The thing is it is not practical. The hts is 1.5 crop on a crop sensor so the movements will be kind of limited and you defo loose WA shots possibility. So in all logic, it is useless.

If the XD platform meet success I think they will probably make a dedicated TS tool for this camera OR a TS lens or two (more easy).

Just my wild guess.
    I guess I don't understand what you just said. I have the HTS that I use on my H4D-50 (sensor size = 49x37) and I think it works great, what I don't like is the widest lens is the 24mm 4.8 becomes a 37mm 7.5 (and higher for a smaller sensor). My understanding is the optics in the HTS were designed to compensate for lens extension so the lenses will still focus at infinity and also give a larger image circle. The other thing I don't like is you can't do tilt and shift at the same time.
    Don't confuse me with anyone that knows what they are talking about but I think it is well designed and coming from 4x5, the movements are very useful. Also. to compensate for the loss of a real wide lens, I can take three verticals and stitch them together in PS. Here is a link to the hasselblad datasheet:http://static.hasselblad.com/2014/11...tasheet_v9.pdf

Mr.Gale

Post Thanks / Like

The hts is a fine tool but everyone know how good is the 17 TS... If hasselblad want to keep the "portable" factor they are committed to craft a TS lens for this platform, imho. The XD is a glitch of the future of MF. Hts and all will be obsolete.

Post Thanks / Like

The hts is a fine tool but everyone know how good is the 17 TS... If hasselblad want to keep the "portable" factor they are committed to craft a TS lens for this platform, imho. The XD is a glitch of the future of MF. Hts and all will be obsolete.
    Glitch is another word for problem, hopefully you meant glimpse.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Important notice

Hasselblad (world) are just bored by the forums but very attentive too. There is a new law in Europe as well in US who will permit Hassy to pursue people or moral persons bashing wrongly the hassy products or making any kind of defamatory posts about hassy products. It is new and will be applied. Hearing the guy himself... I trust them. In a way, I completely agree with this principle.
    Could you please give a link for further reading? UK has just voted to leave the EU so it would be interesting to see the scope of the "new law".

The results are so far : The H6 and the XD-1. I don't see any flaw yet in those systems.
    For the X1D, the crop factor could be a "flaw" because it can be bashed and the purpose of showing off sensor size can be defeated. No FPS, no PDAF, no fast lenses either.

I agree that the H6D-100C can be a very successful product and the X1D is indeed a very good innovation, but nothing can be perfect.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    i cant help thinking what sonys version of this camera would look like? probably not as nice to look at and the usual horrific menu system but face detection, on-chip AF and a set of lenses made by zeiss.
    if they see the X1D succeed they may want a slice of that pie. its certainly well within their technological capability.
    Agreed. This is the main concern from friends around me. They are not willing to buy into this X1D system unless Hasselblad can secure an agreement with Sony that Sony is not going to make their own mirrorless with these Sony sensors. History of the "Lunar" just added more concern into this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    It has got to be less than 60mm.

The camera registry of Hasselblad H System = 61.63mm
    At that length, I find it difficult to imagine using it with their two excellent zoom lenses (own both). Not sure the mount will support the weight. I wonder if Hasselblad has tested this?