Site Sponsors
Page 8 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Hasselblad X1D

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hasselblad X1D

Quote Originally Posted by torger View Post
    I saw the live broadcast, and actually it's the first time I've seen the CEO Perry speak (I've only read stuff earlier). As he's a man that's been working with luxury brands I've been a bit worried that the Lunacy would not be over. I see that the luxury profile is there, the camera is "Handmade in Sweden" (etched into the camera body, looks a bit silly to me, but I can live with it), and it has a special designed bag, probably expensive (haven't seen it yet).
    Name:  IMG_0705.JPG
Views: 1405
Size:  86.7 KB

Can we sue them for lying about "Handmade in Sweden" if it's indeed found to be wrong? Given the history of Fuji-blad, one of my friends speculated that even parts of the motherboard *could* be made in Japan. The operating system looks a bit "Sony-style". It would be interesting to watch lensrentals.com publishing a tear-down of the camera. Last time the fun was the Made-in-China ADC of the Canon 5DSR.

The very much try to build on the brand, they stress very much that they really make it themselves, invited the press to their factory (like Leica does) etc. So now I see how Perry's background fits in there, and I'm no longer worried that it will go the Lunacy way again. And I don't think we'll see a new Ferrari edition...

I never like it when cameras are made luxury items, but the softer level of luxury Hasselblad has now in their X1D product feels fine by me, and actually have some taste to it.
    I like the idea of making cameras as luxury items. Technology would eventually advance which makes the camera obsolete. It would be great if you can keep it inside your bookshelf as a nice decoration instead of selling it for ridiculously low price. Leica knows and has implemented this well.

However the NASA pictures just reminds me how NASA abandoned Hasselblad and went for Nikon instead. This is called technology advancement - Nikon has faster lenses and much earlier access to CMOS sensors than Hasselblad so they won the place in NASA.

Sensor size. 44x33/50MP was expected and I think it's a good choice. 54x41 is not reasonable for a product at this price range and the desire to make it small and light. For the long-term future it would be nice with 51x41 mirrorless, but I think that is the time when the H series will ditch the mirror. Yet a new mount could be made by then.
    Not sure whether the new mount is capable of a 54x40 fullframe sensor or not. It would be great if they have planned ahead for that possibility.

If it's for me? No, I'm a tech cam guy. But I think it will be for many and that it will bring Hasselblad forward, and I also think it's a great and new contribution to the medium format segment. "Game changer" is always a big word, but compared to what I've seen throughout the years from various companies when this term is used, this is one of the better times.
    It is indeed a game changer to me as I've always been a fan of small, compact and portable electronic devices. They've done a great job putting everything inside such a small and light camera body which even surpasses the Sony.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    C1 (being a product of Phase One) never has, and has said that they never will, support their Medium Format competitors. If they ever change their mind, the'll get me back as a customer in a heartbeat, but I won't be bullied away from a camera system I prefer.

--Matt
    Off subject for just a moment. I started out using a P1 back on an H2. Then I ran into firmware issues and the camera and back simply not effectively communicating with each other. To my enormous frustration, I could not get any answers/solutions from either company. At that point, I decided to go with Hasselblad's closed system and have not looked back since.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Giles View Post
    Wedding photographer checking in.
    Chris! You were the first person I recalled when I saw the announcement of this X1D! I think it could be indeed a very good replacement for the 645Z, especially for photographers like you who have already made their names and are therefore not in the need of a huge-sized camera to impress the clients. I really like the idea of significantly reduced weight and size. I would bet that the X1D would still offer an obvious advantage of image quality when compared against the 5DSR when given enough light (so that the slower lenses of the X1D would not be a limiting factor).
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think the Achilles heel of the camera may be the EVF and AF performance. There's some indications that it may actually not be that good. If it's just plain poor, it will hurt the camera badly. If it's fine (don't expect too much!), I think it's overall a really great package.

My expectation/guess is that you really can't track moving subjects with it, so your shoots need to be fairly static or pre/zone-focused. If it's just sufficiently fast in reaching focus where you point I think that will be okay. I'd love if it has true focus, but my guess is that it doesn't.

Then there's the EVF. If it's lagging or pixelated or jerky or whatever that won't be good... I don't know what to expect there, except that it's not going to be market-leading. As the camera won't be action-oriented I think you can live with a little less than the best there though.

What needs to be up there with the best is lenses and image quality, and I feel more confident about that.
    I'm told by staff from Sony's sensor department that Sony's next upgrade after the A7R-II will be the next generation BIONZ-X which will be based on a 14nm/12nm fab process, offering a performance several times of the current processor in the A7R-II. AF will be vastly improved with more sophisticated deep learning algorithm. Noise control will also be improved. On-chip PDAF will be the future for sure. Hopefully Hasselblad can seal a deal with Sony to keep up using the latest stuff there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cerett View Post
    At that length, I find it difficult to imagine using it with their two excellent zoom lenses (own both). Not sure the mount will support the weight. I wonder if Hasselblad has tested this?
    Hasselblad has already shown the adapter. It certainly appears to be in the 60mm range. I'm pretty certain they wouldn't release something which was not thoroughly tested. A 100 w/adapter would be a sizable chunk, however.

Post Thanks / Like

At that length, I find it difficult to imagine using it with their two excellent zoom lenses (own both). Not sure the mount will support the weight. I wonder if Hasselblad has tested this?
    That was my concern when I looked at the image showing the adaptor. I can't imagine the lens mount being able to handle much more than 1kg along with the adaptor and even that may be pushing it given the overall length. A lot of their HC lenses fall into that weight category but there are some WAY out of that category.

Victor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BlinkingEye View Post
    Guy can you explain your statement, please. You have commented twice about long exposure issues, with Sony, on this thread. If you could elucidate me (us) about this point I would appreciate it as I am considering this camera. Thanks.
    The A7R-II has been well documented for long exposure problems due to heating: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3890417

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    Fast lenses are inevitably much bigger and heavier than slower lenses, and are not really in keeping with the form factor of X1D. A major design objective with the X1D was small, light and portable. The initial lenses are slower and smallish. I hope Hasselblad sticks with the plan. However, I suppose it may be possible to produce a "normal" f/2 lens that would not overwhelm the body. I have the HC 100 f/2.2 and its not huge.
    However given that the 44x33 sensor inside the X1D isn't significantly bigger than those 35mm format sensors, an X1D with such slow lenses could not match the DOF controls of the 35mm cameras at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Probably for the same reason why the US$3K camera with the 42MP smaller sensor in a smaller body is a big deal over its little brother with an even smaller 24MP sensor in an even smaller body at US$1K and with an even larger selection of lenses.
    Some people argue that the 44x33 sensor is only 67% bigger than the 35mm format sensors, and that the 35mm format sensors are over 100% bigger than the APSC sensors.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I thought about this last night and not sure my thinking is correct but let's see what you all think. The HTS is a 1.5 crop factor considered on a full frame MF back. Now with a crop sensor is it still 1.5 times factor. It's a smaller sensor. I'm thinking maybe wrongly here it maybe a 1.3.

Was I drinking to much when I thought of this, maybe. Lol
    Wouldn't it be a good idea for Hasselblad to produce a HTS x1,3 option ?
    Let the current HTS be the 'full frame' HTS and offer a 'crop sensor' HTS option with less magnification.
    Doing so it would be possible to have more or less the same wide angle focal length with T&S on both sensor sizes (staying inside the image circle of the lenses).
    Cool idea I think

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by voidshatter View Post
    Chris! You were the first person I recalled when I saw the announcement of this X1D! I think it could be indeed a very good replacement for the 645Z, especially for photographers like you who have already made their names and are therefore not in the need of a huge-sized camera to impress the clients. I really like the idea of significantly reduced weight and size. I would bet that the X1D would still offer an obvious advantage of image quality when compared against the 5DSR when given enough light (so that the slower lenses of the X1D would not be a limiting factor).
    I agree, my main worry is AF speed and buffer capacity / clearance time. Mainly it would be great for bridal prep, the ceremony, reception and the couple shots. But with anything I often want to shoot and chimp quite quickly. I found the 10 second wait after a burst with t 645Z killed the moment and the experience. I'm very hungry for a Medium Format wedding camera.

Let's see what Hasselblad give us although now the HB has opened the gates to a larger sensor mirrorless camera the others will follow suit if it's a success. It would be nice is the X1D has pixel binning so it can have a higher frame rate.
    Chris Giles Photography

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

They will replace the mount if that happens (I hope that they will). It is highly unlikely to be a plastic mount like the Sony A7/A7r.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Giles View Post
    I agree, my main worry is AF speed and buffer capacity / clearance time. Mainly it would be great for bridal prep, the ceremony, reception and the couple shots. But with anything I often want to shoot and chimp quite quickly. I found the 10 second wait after a burst with t 645Z killed the moment and the experience. I'm very hungry for a Medium Format wedding camera.

Let's see what Hasselblad give us although now the HB has opened the gates to a larger sensor mirrorless camera the others will follow suit if it's a success. It would be nice is the X1D has pixel binning so it can have a higher frame rate.
    If I were to shoot wedding again, I would pick the X1D to cover the formals, the group photos etc where buffer clearing is not an issue, and a Canikon flagship (1DX-II with CFast card or D5 with XQD card) to cover the continuous burst requirements for other scenes e.g. the ceremony. Such a perfect combo!

Post Thanks / Like

I've read this thread top to bottom with interest, I can't see why there would be any angst about this camera. It starts a new previously unoccupied niche - compact MF. We are blessed with the option of another tool to use in our lives. So, if its not for you then keep and use what you have.

The X1D is what I have lusted for a long time in a camera except for the price, but that's not me saying it too expensive, rather, I am too pov. (edit: I can find the cash but more I can't justify it).

Quote Originally Posted by Hulyss Bowman View Post
    So fuji is comming with something this is 100% sure. Now, I was not able to get more info about it, if it will be fixed lens (i hope, for the price) or interchangeable lens. I pray it will be a fixed 80f3.2 like a modern heliar formula at a price around 4K max.
    Fuji please do, I might have a hope !

Many of us here, use Sony RX1, Sigma DP Merrill, Ricoh GR and Leica X/Q and other design married fixed lens compacts.
    A fixed lens compact MF would sell I am sure, another niche to fill. (edit: if buying a X1D with one lens then this makes sense)

How about you Hasselblad ?
    Last edited by Tim; 25th June 2016 at 19:44.
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I don't understand people getting angry / crying about a product that is marked "made in *insert country here*" that has some components made in another country. It's how the consumer manufacturing world works! This camera is designed and made in SWEDEN, with components sourced from many places I imagine, all chosen by Hasselblad to suit their requirements, and tested on their own production line during final assembly. There's no conspiracy, get over it!
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Amazing how much this is torn apart before it hits the streets . This is a exciting new option can't we leave it at that. Buy it or not it's a exciting new product from the Hassy camp.

Btw Hassy said lenses made by Nitto in Japan. The is a global economy
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Amazing how much this is torn apart before it hits the streets . This is a exciting new option can't we leave it at that. Buy it or not it's a exciting new product from the Hassy camp.

Btw Hassy said lenses made by Nitto in Japan. The is a global economy
    People have selective attention to detail. The camera is made in Sweden. The lenses are designed by Hasselblad and manufactured in Japan by Nittoh. That's been asked and answered multiple times by Hasselblad.

I I don't understand the call for a lawsuit though. That's ridiculous.
    Priolite Ambassador | Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I know many want to compare it to other systems and such but we need to realize first the intent of the manufacture . Hassy is targeting a certain type of style or kind of photography here. It's not a full fledged back designed for a separate body or tech cam. They still make those types of units for those needs . It's also not compared to like my Sony A7rII either. Sure we will do that but that is really not the intent of this X1D. If anything there really is nothing to compare it too, that's what makes it interesting to a lot of us is we can still capture a very highly capable Sont CMOS sensor that is tops in its class. This has already been a proven sensor. That debate is long over . I shot this sensor when it came out and it's very very nice. As a Phase owner in the past of 5 backs and everything that goes with it, I'm giving Hassy a ton of love for this as its DIFFRENT and that it has its own merit and place with users that want that simplistic approach . Sure it's not going to have all the bells and whistles and yes it is a closed system today as we know it. That really means little as we know 3rd party will design adapters and such for it.

Now it may not flip your lid as to buy it you need to stop being so narrow minded and think it's all about your needs and if you have any years in this industry start thinking about this effects the industry and how this can change , motivate and inspire other OEMs to build comparable product. Without someone stepping in the water first than they all will be standing looking at it with there hands in there pockets .

You want certain things than you need to be involved in a positive way to make change. Trust me sitting in the corner crying like a baby gets old and no one will listen to you. In fact you will get ignored. Anyway I see this on every released camera and it's sad to see a OEM try there best but it gets shot down by over critical people that won't be buying the product anyway and as a Sony owner myself see these silly fanboys from Nikon and Canon just rip the heart out of Sony. That's not helping the industry folks.

Nuf said from me but honestly when things turn like this I leave the thread and you wonder why the forums have slowed down and less participation this is exactly why. No one wants to keep banging there head into a wall. This is supposed to be fun and for myself if it's not , I'm history on a subject, thread, post or forum. I'm too much about the industry maybe but I have a very long career in this business along with many others. This stuff is painful to watch
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Thanks 9 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I know many want to compare it to other systems and such but we need to realize first the intent of the manufacture . Hassy is targeting a certain type of style or kind of photography here. It's not a full fledged back designed for a separate body or tech cam. They still make those types of units for those needs . It's also not compared to like my Sony A7rII either. Sure we will do that but that is really not the intent of this X1D. If anything there really is nothing to compare it too, that's what makes it interesting to a lot of us is we can still capture a very highly capable Sont CMOS sensor that is tops in its class. This has already been a proven sensor. That debate is long over . I shot this sensor when it came out and it's very very nice. As a Phase owner in the past of 5 backs and everything that goes with it, I'm giving Hassy a ton of love for this as its DIFFRENT and that it has its own merit and place with users that want that simplistic approach . Sure it's not going to have all the bells and whistles and yes it is a closed system today as we know it. That really means little as we know 3rd party will design adapters and such for it.

Now it may not flip your lid as to buy it you need to stop being so narrow minded and think it's all about your needs and if you have any years in this industry start thinking about this effects the industry and how this can change , motivate and inspire other OEMs to build comparable product. Without someone stepping in the water first than they all will be standing looking at it with there hands in there pockets .

You want certain things than you need to be involved in a positive way to make change. Trust me sitting in the corner crying like a baby gets old and no one will listen to you. In fact you will get ignored. Anyway I see this on every released camera and it's sad to see a OEM try there best but it gets shot down by over critical people that won't be buying the product anyway and as a Sony owner myself see these silly fanboys from Nikon and Canon just rip the heart out of Sony. That's not helping the industry folks.

Nuf said from me but honestly when things turn like this I leave the thread and you wonder why the forums have slowed down and less participation this is exactly why. No one wants to keep banging there head into a wall. This is supposed to be fun and for myself if it's not , I'm history on a subject, thread, post or forum. I'm too much about the industry maybe but I have a very long career in this business along with many others. This stuff is painful to watch
    Well that's just about perfect Guy, thanks.
    Web: Bill Evans Photography

Facebook: @BillEvansPhotography

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bluenose View Post
    Well that's just about perfect Guy, thanks.
    Thank you let's continue on and discuss this new entry into the field. I know from teaching our workshops a lot of folks would love to have one of these type cameras. The 30mm is going t be nice but love to see them down the road give us even wider like a 18 and 135 / 35 equivalent . I do think a dedicated HTS adapter dedicated for this format would be nice and I think it does not have to be 1.5 but maybe even get away with a 1.2 or 1.3. I don't know the math on it but that would be very very useful in the field.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I also from we learned so far like lack of focus peaking and some other features can be done relatively easy before this even ships as that right now seems to be a work in progress. Maybe since they are using the H6D menu model some users that know that can talk about some of the feature sets so we understand what they maybe planning in regard to that. Another question I have is can we customize there existing buttons. Like rear focus for instance

Post Thanks / Like

Another question I have is can we customize there existing buttons. Like rear focus for instance
    The user can customise the buttons on H cameras since the H1, so it is likely that the X1D will be similar in that respect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That would be great . I do like a rear focus button

Post Thanks / Like

Any information on the noise level of the shutter? Being a central shutter it should be less noisy than a FPS but this still doesn't mean it is quiet ...

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cly View Post
    Any information on the noise level of the shutter? Being a central shutter it should be less noisy than a FPS but this still doesn't mean it is quiet ...

Chris
    Apparently there is some noise level, because the Mq function helps suppressing the aperture noise by stopping it down.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by siddhaarta View Post
    Apparently there is some noise level, because the Mq function helps suppressing the aperture noise by stopping it down.
    It will be interesting to hear just how necessary this is. I still find the utterly noiseless operation on the SL (w fw2.0 and 1/8000 or shorter exposures) to be a trifle disconcerting. The light sound of the shutter cues me as to the exact moment of exposure and I miss it...

G

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I actually turn the sound on the little Sony Rxr1 II because I don't know if it shot or not. It's a leaf shutter as well but I can turn on a shutter sound.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I can actually hear the shutter in RX1R II when the ambient level noise is low. It is very soft though.

At >1/2000s the e shutter kicks in and that is totally quiet.

All the annoying fake sounds from the speakers are always off.
    Sale Items (http://www.getdpi.com/forum/gear-fs-...8806-sale.html)

Post Thanks / Like

The shutter is the same as in the other H lenses, so it will make the same noise. Just get your hands on a H camera, raise the mirror and shoot to get an idea. It is a small "clic": audible for the photographer but unlikely to raise eyebrows in a church assembly (I tried that...).
    Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Ach.

The X1D is a lovely piece, I applaud Hasselblad bringing it to us. Whatever flaws it has will become apparent in time, and some will love it, others not. For me, I bet there are no flaws serious enough to make me not like it. Maybe some day I'll have one. I'll keep an eye on these threads about it.

Meanwhile, I'm getting back to making photos and looking for ways making better ones. In that direction lies joy.

G
    Last edited by Godfrey; 26th June 2016 at 18:34.
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jerome_m View Post
    The shutter is the same as in the other H lenses, so it will make the same noise. Just get your hands on a H camera, raise the mirror and shoot to get an idea. It is a small "clic": audible for the photographer but unlikely to raise eyebrows in a church assembly (I tried that...).
    One thing I can tell you from having used the leaf shutter HC lenses up to and including the HC 300mm lens for over 10 years, you won't have to worry about shutter shock issues with the X1D as many of us did wit the Sony A7R. If Sony, Fuji or Pentax comes out with a small, lightweight mirrorless body with the same sensor and a focal plane shutter, let's see how effectively it handles shutter vibration. AFAIK, the Sony 50 mp sensor does not permit EFCS, which the Sony A7RII implemented to deal with shutter shock.
    hcubell
    www.howardcubell.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you let's continue on and discuss this new entry into the field. I know from teaching our workshops a lot of folks would love to have one of these type cameras. The 30mm is going t be nice but love to see them down the road give us even wider like a 18 and 135 / 35 equivalent . I do think a dedicated HTS adapter dedicated for this format would be nice and I think it does not have to be 1.5 but maybe even get away with a 1.2 or 1.3. I don't know the math on it but that would be very very useful in the field.
    Count me in as one of those who would love to use this camera as an opportunity to move up to "medium format". I've worked my way through most of the Sony A7 series of cameras and I love the images but kind of hate the user experience. So I'm definitely gonna find a way to lay hands on this new Hassy. I could very easy see myself going with an a6300 kit for my real estate and telephoto needs and the Hassy for my detailed landscape stuff. Although I would want a shift option.
    Web: Bill Evans Photography

Facebook: @BillEvansPhotography

Post Thanks / Like

The A7R-II has been well documented for long exposure problems due to heating: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3890417
    Voidshatter, thank you for the link.

Also, Hasselblad if you are still around, please give us a true T&S lens(es) to use with this body, on an equiv length to the Canon 17mm and 24mm. I ask this as the 35 year Nikon user. I am sure many would be interested in the said lens(es).

Post Thanks / Like

This thing is all about small size and lightweight.
    While I've no complaints about image quality with the IQ180, the whole backpack with everything including lenses is 28 lbs. I find it constraining at my age, 69 in a couple weeks
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

No DOF scales on the X1D lenses.

Is DOF information available in the viewfinder or on screen?
    http://www.keithlaban.co.uk

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all, long time lurker here, first time poster.

I am excited about this camera, really.

I am currently using a 645z with 28-45 and 80-160mm lenses. Very happy except for no EVF and shutter shock with longer lenses and also when shooting portrait aspect.

I don't think I could ever go back to FF once I have had a 50mp crop MF system, I would only go bigger.

The X1D changes this all for me. It's small, light, great shutter setup (CS), MF sensor. I shoot a lot at 45mm on my zoom and whenever I had a 35mm lens, I always wanted a touch wider, so the 30mm will be great. Plus, all my short tele shots and panos I have shot between 80mm and 100mm on my zoom, so the 90mm lens will be perfect.

Hasselblad, if you are still reading, please do the following:

- allow an attachable (by Allen screws) tripod foot for the H lens adapter for the X1D and while you are at it, make it arcs Swiss compatible too.

- how about a HTS adapter that goes directly on the X1D but not only has the TS option but has the H lens connections and as minimal crop as possible, say 1.2x.

Well done Hasselblad.

Scott

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post

- allow an attachable (by Allen screws) tripod foot for the H lens adapter for the X1D and while you are at it, make it arcs Swiss compatible too.

Scott

Fabulous suggestion!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

An interesting interview with Hasselblad Product Manager Ove Bengtson on the X1D. No zooms on the lens roadmap at this time. If Hasselblad is listening, I'd love to see an XCD version of the stellar HCD 35-90mm f/4-5.6. My favorite lens with the H4D-50/H4D-50.

Joe
    Last edited by Joe Colson; 27th June 2016 at 07:54.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    An interesting interview with Hasselblad Product Manager Ove Bengtson on the X1D. No zooms on the lens roadmap at this time.

Joe
    Ove is great as he doesn't speak like a marketing guy. He dares to mention the tradeoffs when there are tradeoffs. You get to know things like "sure we would have liked phase detect on the sensor, but Sony was too far into sensor development".

We also get to know that since there is shorter flange distance (back focus), it's easier to design sharp lenses (that's what tech cam wides live from), but that still they are well within sensor limits and introduce no crosstalk (unlike tech wides...).

And that this is strictly a 44x33mm system, as the intention is to keep the system compact. The XCD lenses are more compact thanks to only supporting the smaller image circle, and zooms are unlikely to happen as they can't be made compact enough with satisfactory optical performance.

Between the lines I think one can read that there will be no 54x41mm mirrorless until it's mature enough to actually be a drop-in replacement for the full-sized SLRs, that is a next generation sensor that supports phase detect is the first thing that must happen.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Ove is great as he doesn't speak like a marketing guy. He dares to mention the tradeoffs when there are tradeoffs. You get to know things like "sure we would have liked phase detect on the sensor, but Sony was too far into sensor development".

We also get to know that since there is shorter flange distance (back focus), it's easier to design sharp lenses (that's what tech cam wides live from), but that still they are well within sensor limits and introduce no crosstalk (unlike tech wides...).

And that this is strictly a 44x33mm system, as the intention is to keep the system compact. The XCD lenses are more compact thanks to only supporting the smaller image circle, and zooms are unlikely to happen as they can't be made compact enough with satisfactory optical performance.

Between the lines I think one can read that there will be no 54x41mm mirrorless until it's mature enough to actually be a drop-in replacement for the full-sized SLRs, that is a next generation sensor that supports phase detect is the first thing that must happen.
    I see the X line remaining the entry level cropped sensors option and the H line transitioning upmarket to all MF FF sensors in the future.

The 50 CMOS is a first generation sensor it's not I fathomable that down the line we will see 80+ MP sensors of BSI MF sensors as technology improves in future bodies just as we are seeing 40+ MP sensors (with rumors of 70+ MP sensors in the works) from 135 based systems whereas 10 years ago 12 MP WAS THE high end.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sounds interesting and I'm kinda liking it more each day. It can't replace my use of Sony which is okay. I will have to have two systems. I would imagine Sony could just upgrade the current sensor for Phase Detect and would not be surprised if they already are. This is going to get interesting. Reading the crystal ball I think another one or two OEMs might jump in as well on this sensor size

Post Thanks / Like

I read the lens manufacturer, Nittoh, is based in Suwa, Japan and is close to where the Olympus plant is located in Tatsuno. Evidently, this area has a significant history of lens and camera manufacturing. Here is a promotional video Nittoh produced recently:

"Creativity takes courage." ~ Henri Matisse
    Darlene Almeda, photoscapes.com

Post Thanks / Like

As an ex-Hasselblad shooter I am very happy to see Hasselblad coming back with such an innovative system, actually being the first one this time. I do hope they will be able to further build on this lead and can come up with a great lens lineup as well as new bodies/sensors.

Especially as soon as they will be able to bring a body with PDAF points all over the frame it will really become interesting. I am quite sure that Sony already is working on such solutions, of course also with the obligatory higher MP count (who really needs more MP though).....

I would also not be surprised to see Fuji or Sony themselves using this sensor or the follow up chip in a MF mirrorless body.

What sure needs to get improved is EVFs - the Leica SL is already coming pretty close, but this is not just an EVF issue with more MP, but also the possibility of much faster readout from the sensor for that higher res EVF, which Leica somehow managed to achieve with their 4.4 MP Eyeres EVF in the SL.

Interesting and exciting times are starting again

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Can you imagine a pancake lens for this? Interesting that they didn't have a normal lens in the lineup on release. When I bought my 503 back in the day I bought a 60 and a 120 at the same time. I guess they had me in mind
    If I can wrap my head around an evf finally this might be my medium format entry/exit camera. Going to see it later today at Fotocare. If I have any opines I will post.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think they will make a pancake as optical quality can't be top-notch with that design afaik.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds interesting and I'm kinda liking it more each day. It can't replace my use of Sony which is okay. I will have to have two systems. I would imagine Sony could just upgrade the current sensor for Phase Detect and would not be surprised if they already are. This is going to get interesting. Reading the crystal ball I think another one or two OEMs might jump in as well on this sensor size
    The more I think about it this camera makes the most sense for M shooters that are aging or suffer from declining eyesight. It's relatively small and there's a good chance this system will focus on AF primes that provide maximum IQ.

Where it would fit for me is to cover duties that I normally relegate to faster primes (in the 21-135mm range) and to have a A7RII with a telephoto zoom to cover those focal lengths.

- - - Updated - - -

The more I think about it this camera makes the most sense for M shooters that are aging or suffer from declining eyesight. It's relatively small and there's a good chance this system will focus on AF primes that provide maximum IQ.

Where it would fit for me is to cover duties that I normally relegate to faster primes (in the 21-135mm range) and to have a A7RII with a telephoto zoom to cover those focal lengths.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post

IMHO it makes the most sense for people that want to shoot MF, need something portable, and don't want to spend H-system or Phase prices...I def think M shooters fall in that range.

For me personally, the portability factor is huge. I'm not in the shape I used to be, and on my last two trips to SF and NYC, hiking around all day with my H system and TVC-33/BH-55 was exhausting. I nearly threw out my back in SF with camera gear and the other luggage I had (I was there for business) before I even started shooting anywhere, and that would've meant no shooting at all for that trip. I'm not looking for any sympathy or anything, but a sub-$10k MF system with the size/weight reductions of the X1D over the H-system, 645z, phase/xf/df is pretty significant when traveling and hiking is involved. The idea that I could also hand-hold an X1D and a lens and shoot all day while walking around/hiking would greatly increase my usage of the format.

I'm also starting do more travel with my wife, and traveling with my huge backpack (~30 pounds) of H-system, sony gear, and current tripod setup is becoming less and less practical when we travel together...especially on trips like camping this weekend when we're bringing the dog. There are some other practical advantanges of the system aside from the camera itself as well. The 28mm HCD, for example, with it's 95mm filter thread means large ND filters (I'm using 165mm and love shooting 10-stop or more). If they came out with a 30mm XCD with the same or similar IQ as the 28mm, I'm guessing it'd have a smaller diameter and would take smaller filters, and I could away with traveling with 100mm filters instead of 150mm/165mm which in turn means less luggage again. I could also travel with a smaller tripod. Even if it's not perfect at launch or as a generation 1 product, a MF camera system the size of the X1D would allow me to bring it more places and shoot more than I do my current H-system while having similar or better IQ and the shooting experience of the Hasselblad that I prefer over my Fuji or Sony.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    People have selective attention to detail. The camera is made in Sweden. The lenses are designed by Hasselblad and manufactured in Japan by Nittoh. That's been asked and answered multiple times by Hasselblad.

I I don't understand the call for a lawsuit though. That's ridiculous.
    It was a response towards a previous post threatening a call for a lawsuit of bashing Hasselblad products.

There is verbally a difference between "Made in" and "Assembled in". Electronic devices are declared with "Made in" in a grey area but if argued can make ambiguity.

I totally agree with the Prada/Gucci CEO's idea of securing Hasselblad's logo as a luxury brand. History and culture is indeed very important for products set with such a price tag. However sometimes it's just less than ideal when you have to out-source your lenses to Fuji in Japan, and even offer your logo to a company like DJI (which is regarded in China as a cheapo drone company with little respect). I fully understand that sometimes compromises must be taken for the optimal solution.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Everyone outsources. I do not know a manufacturing company that does not get at the minimum from other parts of the world. Btw has zero to do with these lenses in the X1d designed by Hassy made in Japan by Nittho. I'm not sure who else they produce but Hassy has repeatedly said Its designed in Sweden

Post Thanks / Like

It was a response towards a previous post threatening a call for a lawsuit of bashing Hasselblad products.

There is verbally a difference between "Made in" and "Assembled in". Electronic devices are declared with "Made in" in a grey area but if argued can make ambiguity.

I totally agree with the Prada/Gucci CEO's idea of securing Hasselblad's logo as a luxury brand. History and culture is indeed very important for products set with such a price tag. However sometimes it's just less than ideal when you have to out-source your lenses to Fuji in Japan, and even offer your logo to a company like DJI (which is regarded in China as a cheapo drone company with little respect). I fully understand that sometimes compromises must be taken for the optimal solution.
    It would be great if we could avoid these senseless controversies and keep the focus on the merits of the X1D and any potential competitive offerings.
    hcubell
    www.howardcubell.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    It would be great if we could avoid these senseless controversies and keep the focus on the merits of the X1D and any potential competitive offerings.
    I agree. That stuff to me is all politics and marketing BS. I could care less about either. This is about the product at hand not something Hassy has or did do in the past. I could give a crap. This is a global market I have no issues what's made anywhere in the world as long as they produce top notch quality I could care less where it's made. Leica does not use everything from Germany either it has to use at least 51 percent of the parts to say Made In Germany. That's from the horses mouth. So what's that tell ya. Nothing at all. Lol