The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D

cerett

Now that the cat is officially out of the bag, I thought it would be nice to start a new thread on this camera. I am very curious as to what everyone thinks. I, for one, just ordered an H6D-50C, anticipating an upgrade to the H6D-100C when available. I own a Sony A7RII. Although the menu sucks, I really like being able to use my Canon glass. I don't see any reason to purchase an X1D at this point in time.

rmueller

It is good to see that Hasselblad is back on the innovation track. A camera below a 10k price point is clearly attractive for the ambitious amateur and somehow what i was hoping for, see
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-...ks/58245-more-come-hasselblad.html#post688972

Will i buy it? I don't know. Its the first version of the new series and in some areas they didn't jump far enough IMO:
- EVF has 2.36 MP while Leica SL has 4 MP
- I would have hoped for CFast card support to accommodate 4k raw video in a later version
- HD video only

Everything else is quite positive what is known so far, design is nice, body seems solid, all nice and good. I need
to get it in my hands before making a decision but this is clearly tempting.

My 2 cents,
Ralf

Oamkumar

Waiting to know more about the AF system. And frames /sec.. Etc..etc. And I'm sure this will be a great cam.

V

Vivek

With no FP shutter, I think it is less versatile and hence over priced. Hopefully, there will be versions with a built in shutter (reasonably quiet ones) in the future that might tempt me.

I did not know that Hasselblad relied on Nikon's iTTL system. That seems like a saving grace (to have a well developed flash system instantly).

I do not think the CDAF would be too useful. May be the future versions will have PDAF elements.

JeRuFo

I am very impressed with the size.

But for the rest I am not much wiser after the launch yet. I get the feeling this is an almost camera. If it works then great, but I'm not sure it will tempt people away from the 645Z and S007 just yet. First there are a lot of questions about usability, durability and compatibility to be answered.

The lens range is too small, a bit like the criticism was with the SL, but the SL is great with M glass. With the X1D Hasselblad is kind of saying 'but you can use S-lenses as well.', but those are very different and much bigger. No word yet on a V-adapter. They only talk of using Hasselblad lenses, like they always do. But I think they should have marketed this camera more as a stand alone camera that you can use a lot of different lenses on, kind of like Leica did with the SL (and the S). Especially since they have too few lenses now for the time being. Why not try to sell as many cameras as possible, even if it is without lenses? People will buy the lenses when they become available if they already have the camera. But I guess that penny still hasn't dropped with Hasselblad.

tcdeveau

I'm really into it and think they did a great job. You get all (or at least most) of the H5D=>H6D improvements (1/2000th flash sync, better screen with touch, dual card slots...no 100MP option though) in a package a fraction of the size and weight and a fraction of the price of an H6D-50c. I'm finding it hard to see what's not to like about that. It looks like they kept the button layout and interface simple as well, a gripe I have with existing mirrorless cameras. The wheel by the shutter that pops out I think is particularly clever (no accidental settings changes and keeps design cleaner) and it looks like the grip is well thought out as well. I had been hoping to move from my H4D-40 to a used H5D-50c or H6D-50c, but the X1D is a much more attractive option for me and most likely would hold me over for a couple years until prices on the H6D-100c come down.

Also, the size/weight is a game changer for me in terms of portability. Being able to tote around MF like I do my A7R and carry it around all day when I travel is HUGE. It will also draw a lot less attention because it's much less conspicuous, something I grow tired of with my H4D. Traditional MF size may be advantageous in the studio to impress clients, but outside of the studio the attention is annoying and the size/weight makes handholding all day impossible. Of course I can still use my 35-90mm on a tripod when I want to, something I prob won't be able to do if another manufacturer puts out a mirrorless MF. I'm really curious to see if in addition to an H adapter, they make an HTS adapter for H =>X1D.

The only downside appears to be with no FPS the use of 3rd party glass via adapters may be a no-go, but this is not a big deal for me as I've sold off most of my glass that I would adapt to mirrorless. I'm also concerned about heat buildup and noise with long exposures, as well as battery life. I do love the OVF of my H4D, so I'm curious to see how the EVF compares and if there's focus magnification or any of that that I've grown used to with the A7R. The X1D may not be perfect for everyone, but it checks all the boxes for me. I'll try to demo one and if I like maybe order around the holidays if I can. I also want to see what happens at Photokina before ordering...there's been rumors of lots of other cameras (mirrorless MF Fuji/Sony, 70+MP Sony 35mm FF, etc) that may change the landscape considerably. Even if it's not the camera for you, there's been talk of mirrorless MF for a long time, and it's nice to see it become a reality.

msadat

i for one like this camera and it will be list to get one, it very much reminds me of the bronica rf, they have taken the technology from the h6 packaged it in a more compact body. though i dont know about the lenses, hassi has never disappointed me with lenses

V

Vivek

I’m not blown away by the announcement and there are some open questions that weren’t addressed:

RAW format (DNG or proprietary)
Lens adapters for non-native lenses
PDAF or CDAF
Focal plane and/or leaf shutter with final production models

Joe
Lossless compressed RAW (unlike the lossy SOny stuff).

Can only adapt H lenses. No indication if one can operate the camera without a system lens mounted.
(Hasselblad top brass were busy denying rumors that Fuji had a part in the X1D and they are unlikely to clone/rebadge SOny's cameras/lenses in the future. Also, they were patting themselves on their backs saying how proud they are o the X1D. The livestream presentation was a waste. You did not miss much.)

CDAF- likely slow as molasses.

No FP shutter (hence adapting other lenses would be limited)

Edit: They did not mention anything about the very short camera registry or how much it is. A key aspect for adapting any lenses. Rather disappointing as they are attempting to come up with a new camera system.

Last edited:

Quentin_Bargate

Throughout the presentation (on youtube), what struck me was the comparison with Sony (another innovator) and other manufacturers . What a complete mess of a design most cameras are compared wth the X1D, or say the Leica Q.

You may have issues with leaf shutter lenses, or flash modes, etc, but for goodness sake, the X1D oozes style.

I guess the difference reflects the respective companies design philisophies - either cram everything in somewhwere, or proper thought out industrial design. I dont have an obvious use for an X1D, but I think I want one.

I also assume Pentax could quite easily follow suit, at a lower price.

Hulyss Bowman

Important notice

Important notice :

So, long story short, I was on the phone with Hasselblad France CEO for about an hour. While we spoke on the product (I will come later on this point) we mentioned forums and other things.

First point : The yesterday leak (from a shop).

Hasselblad is utterly angry and the person (or moral person) will be sued by the hard way.

Second point : The defamatory posts :

Hasselblad (world) are just bored by the forums but very attentive too. There is a new law in Europe as well in US who will permit Hassy to pursue people or moral persons bashing wrongly the hassy products or making any kind of defamatory posts about hassy products. It is new and will be applied. Hearing the guy himself... I trust them. In a way, I completely agree with this principle.

**********************************************​

On the product now:

The X1-D early testing samples will be sent almost every where by the start of July, date where I probably get my hands on it if planets align correctly.
The X1-D is priced €7900 without VAT. The 45mm less than 2K without VAT and the 90mm a bit more than 2K without VAT and the later 30mm a bit less than 3K without VAT. The adaptor will be around €300 without VAT and will work only with Hasselblad LS lenses. This 30mm will be "stargazing" as he told me.
There is no plan for now on another lenses, probably 2017.
The lenses are made by the same manufacturer as the Xpan lenses, in Japan.

The waiting list will be long because Sony sensor manufactures are down. This is why the CVF50 is temporary discontinued; they need to focus effort on the X1-D sensor.

Thats all for now :)

V

Vivek

Re: Important notice

Important notice :

Second point : The defamatory posts :

Hasselblad (world) are just bored by the forums but very attentive too. There is a new law in Europe as well in US who will permit Hassy to pursue people or moral persons bashing wrongly the hassy products or making any kind of defamatory posts about hassy products. It is new and will be applied. Hearing the guy himself... I trust them. In a way, I completely agree with this principle.

**********************************************​
If one example of this happens, I can assure this misguided thinking that the rest of the world is not in the middle east (where photography is not possible anyway).

Please pass on that friendly suggestion to the Lunar creators.

synn

They should start by suing the former CEO who thought such products were a good idea in the first place.

kimyeesan

I didn't realise that it has no FPS and rely solely on the lens shutter...
This is really a bummer. I mean it could have been more, but i think they really don't have the money to develop this shutter system and also they really want to sell their own lens...

Bummer, really. Also the CDAF...
Other than size, I don't see it being that revolutionary at all!

Hulyss Bowman

No. Brands are very cool today and they often let ppl say anything on their name or products. It is their right to apply such policy when they can. When you have a brand or a name you understand it because it can severely crush the total sales.

We didn't spoke about the Lunar or whatever. It was an another team, a another time. The actual team as been sequestrated 5 day; the CEO's as well as the marketing and R&D managers, to remap everything. This is not a legend, it is a fact.

The results are so far : The H6 and the XD-1. I don't see any flaw yet in those systems.

Of course they know (and seen) that the concurrence is coming so this year kina will be kind of interesting :D

I just got a phone call and might have the unit with the two lenses by the end of the week, start of july. Will try to do justice to the camera.

bradhusick

The X1D looks great! It also looks like it will feel great in the hand, unlike the ergo-mess of the Leica SL.