The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D

Hulyss Bowman

Let me get this straight : the body has no shutter but the two introduced lenses have integral leaf-shutters.

With the correct adapter it should theoretically operate with thrid-party lenses with integral leaf-shutters. right? Leica-S for example?

It does not offer global e-shutter on the current sensor?
In theory it should work. Leica did an H adapter so why not Hassy make a S adapter ? For the global e-shutter I do not know.

Jamgolf

I am thrilled that Hasselblad worked on and released such a product. It is healthy for photography industry as a whole. I think its really good news for medium format genre.
I'm sure it will attract many from 135 to medium format. The quality of lenses will dictate as to how successful it eventually becomes.

I hope it becomes a roaring success - having said that, personally I will not be a buyer.

Kudos to Hasselblad !

KeithL

If I was looking to get into medium format again I would have ordered the X1D several hours ago.

vjbelle

I really could see dumping my XF / IQ180 for this new X1D. The XF is unbearably heavy especially with the 40-80mm attached. Yes I'd lose a bit of resolution and C1 but the small lightweight Blad plus high ISO capability would make up for that.

Anyone else have the same thoughts ?
Do not be concerned about the loss of pixels (50mp vs 80mp). While I had my Leaf 50 and Phase IQ180 I compared a lot of same shot files and was really more than satisfied with the Leaf files.... even after printing and comparing the same files out to 40 inches. The 50mp sensor is simply fantastic.

Victor

MrSmith

i cant help thinking what sonys version of this camera would look like? probably not as nice to look at and the usual horrific menu system but face detection, on-chip AF and a set of lenses made by zeiss.
if they see the X1D succeed they may want a slice of that pie. its certainly well within their technological capability.

hcubell

I really could see dumping my XF / IQ180 for this new X1D. The XF is unbearably heavy especially with the 40-80mm attached. Yes I'd lose a bit of resolution and C1 but the small lightweight Blad plus high ISO capability would make up for that.

Yes, I am as well. As the image quality of the alternatives either approach medium format digital or, in the case of the X1D, ARE medium format digital, I have a hard time justifying the size and weight of my full medium format H1/IQ180 kit anymore. I am a photographer, not a beast of burden.

bradhusick

i cant help thinking what sonys version of this camera would look like? probably not as nice to look at and the usual horrific menu system but face detection, on-chip AF and a set of lenses made by zeiss.
if they see the X1D succeed they may want a slice of that pie. its certainly well within their technological capability.
Maybe Sony will turn the tables and offer a version of the X1D at 3 times the price with carbon fiber or exotic wood grips and fancier dials with little gemstones on top in a really fancy laquered wood box that's useless for anything.

:LOL:

torger

Seems like this thread is more about freedom of speech than the actual camera.

But anyway, my views:

I saw the live broadcast, and actually it's the first time I've seen the CEO Perry speak (I've only read stuff earlier). As he's a man that's been working with luxury brands I've been a bit worried that the Lunacy would not be over. I see that the luxury profile is there, the camera is "Handmade in Sweden" (etched into the camera body, looks a bit silly to me, but I can live with it), and it has a special designed bag, probably expensive (haven't seen it yet). The very much try to build on the brand, they stress very much that they really make it themselves, invited the press to their factory (like Leica does) etc. So now I see how Perry's background fits in there, and I'm no longer worried that it will go the Lunacy way again. And I don't think we'll see a new Ferrari edition...

I never like it when cameras are made luxury items, but the softer level of luxury Hasselblad has now in their X1D product feels fine by me, and actually have some taste to it.

Price: it's more expensive than a Pentax, but if it had been a Leica it had costed even more, and it's of course only about 1/3 of a H6D-50c so it's aimed not only at professional photographers. I think the price is right regarding their focus group and their relative amount of luxury. And as Hassy and Phase SLRs are so extremely expensive as it is, it's actually good value regardless. Sure Pentax is better value, and a 135 camera much better still, but you don't get this type of camera to get the best price/performance.

Technical aspects of the camera:

Sensor size. 44x33/50MP was expected and I think it's a good choice. 54x41 is not reasonable for a product at this price range and the desire to make it small and light. For the long-term future it would be nice with 51x41 mirrorless, but I think that is the time when the H series will ditch the mirror. Yet a new mount could be made by then.

Shutter: leaf shutter is right for this camera, but all of us frankenstien-camera-builders are of course majorly disappointed as it will not be (easily) adaptable for TS-E lenses etc. Is it bad that they did not think more about third-party adaptation? I don't know. But I've seen the tech cam genre hammered by luke-warm to poor support from both Hasselblad and Phase One over several years, so I think they simply don't see much money in it. They could have had both of course, that would have been nice. But I simply don't know if it's worth to bother. As it is now with no FPS, it seems to me that the CFV-50c is still a better offer for tech cam use.

Lenses: they really need a wide angle, but the 30mm is coming. That's nice. I know many would like even wider... like many like even larger aperture. Personally I think the tradeoffs are tasteful and balanced. Super large aperture and ultra wide means super large heavy complex expensive. I think they've found a good balance.

User interface / ergonomics: the sweep/touch interface did not leave me with a good feeling personally, but I think this is what people want these days. It seems to have two wheels, auto-ISO and a back-button focus drive which is what I need for hand-held shooting. Oh well, the auto focus I like to know how it works. It must be at least decent, or else there will be some substantial disappointment I think. No flip-out screen, I don't miss it, but perhaps many others will, I don't really know if it was a wise design decision or not. In terms of look not having a flip-out screen is the right thing I think, flip out screen is a bit ugly/gimmicky on a camera but very handy at times...

The size -- it's great. The modest sensor size, modest aperture, and probably not having a focal plane shutter all have contributed to this. I think that the small size is a greater achievement than we may actually think. One must understand that design is about trade-offs. There's no such thing as a "no compromise design". I'm impressed with the trade-off Hasselblad has found in this design.

If it's for me? No, I'm a tech cam guy. But I think it will be for many and that it will bring Hasselblad forward, and I also think it's a great and new contribution to the medium format segment. "Game changer" is always a big word, but compared to what I've seen throughout the years from various companies when this term is used, this is one of the better times.

hcubell

Without IBIS or VR/OSS/IS, casual "travel" use is crippled. Not impossible, but certainly less enabled. Landscape photography, with a tripod, is certainly in play as it is with other medium-format alternatives. Buying the $9K (USD) platform in anticipation of "a full range of smallish primes and an exceptional 24-70mm equivalent f/4 zoom" in a few years is not attractive to me.

How about best-of-breed EVF (like the Leica SL), IBIS or VR/OSS/IS, articulating rear LCD (like the 645Z), focal plane shutter, fast AF, and better lens selection for a start? I don't need "lighter and more compact".

Joe
1. I agree about buying in now without a broad range of lenses. Less of an issue for me as I have 7 HC lenses already.
2. I don't need a 50MP medium format camera for "casual" travel use. I have a Sony A7RII for that.
3. I would rather have leaf shutter lenses. No shutter shock issues. With a focal plane shutter, you would need EFCS and I don't think that's possible with the Sony 50MP sensor.
4. I need lighter and more compact. If I didn't, I already have an IQ 180. And if I didn't and I wanted to move into medium format and light and compact was unimportant, I would buy an IQ 3 100 or an H6D 100.
5. My hesitancy on the X1D is that it is a first generation camera. Just like the evolution of the original A7R to the A7RII, I would expect the next X1D iteration to improve on things like AF performance and the EVF quality.

BTW, good, constructive discussion so far.

Chipcarterdc

Nope. Not in the slightest.

I have the XF/100 and wouldn't even consider dumping it for this new Hassy. Among the many reasons:

(1) The XF's weight doesn't bother me.
(2) I despise electronic viewfinders. Hate hate hate.
(3) I don't want to (a) learn and (b) be locked into yet another RAW converter (Phocus).
(4) Maximum shutter speed of 1/2000 wouldn't work for me.
(5) I'm assuming from the specs that neither the autofocus operation nor the manual focus operation will be as good as the XF's.
(6) I don't particularly like the rendering of modern Hasselblad lenses.
(7) There's no waist-level finder option on the X1D (and the LCD doesn't articulate to serve as a quasi waist level finder).
(8) You'll take a significant financial hit on the XF gear.

(And, perhaps unlike the IQ180, the CMOS IQ100 is already good at high ISO, of course, so that wouldn't be a motivator for me)

Pradeep

Maybe it's just me, but the more I read about this 'game changer' the less I like.

I still think the Pentax 645z is better except for the size part of it.

What IS interesting is that this opens the door for Sony (and maybe Pentax) to come up with their own mirrorless offerings in the MF domain.

Quentin_Bargate

I'm a superyacht lawyer. I can see the X1D fitting right in as a must have luxury accessory in that world - Ready for Monaco Yacht Show at the end of September? Hasselbad are welcome to join us at Before bar near Rascasse if they wish... :thumbup: I'm perfectly serious. We host an event there over 4 days.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Seems like this thread is more about freedom of speech than the actual camera.

But anyway, my views:

I saw the live broadcast, and actually it's the first time I've seen the CEO Perry speak (I've only read stuff earlier). As he's a man that's been working with luxury brands I've been a bit worried that the Lunacy would not be over. I see that the luxury profile is there, the camera is "Handmade in Sweden" (etched into the camera body, looks a bit silly to me, but I can live with it), and it has a special designed bag, probably expensive (haven't seen it yet). The very much try to build on the brand, they stress very much that they really make it themselves, invited the press to their factory (like Leica does) etc. So now I see how Perry's background fits in there, and I'm no longer worried that it will go the Lunacy way again. And I don't think we'll see a new Ferrari edition...

I never like it when cameras are made luxury items, but the softer level of luxury Hasselblad has now in their X1D product feels fine by me, and actually have some taste to it.

Price: it's more expensive than a Pentax, but if it had been a Leica it had costed even more, and it's of course only about 1/3 of a H6D-50c so it's aimed not only at professional photographers. I think the price is right regarding their focus group and their relative amount of luxury. And as Hassy and Phase SLRs are so extremely expensive as it is, it's actually good value regardless. Sure Pentax is better value, and a 135 camera much better still, but you don't get this type of camera to get the best price/performance.

Technical aspects of the camera:

Sensor size. 44x33/50MP was expected and I think it's a good choice. 54x41 is not reasonable for a product at this price range and the desire to make it small and light. For the long-term future it would be nice with 51x41 mirrorless, but I think that is the time when the H series will ditch the mirror. Yet a new mount could be made by then.

Shutter: leaf shutter is right for this camera, but all of us frankenstien-camera-builders are of course majorly disappointed as it will not be (easily) adaptable for TS-E lenses etc. Is it bad that they did not think more about third-party adaptation? I don't know. But I've seen the tech cam genre hammered by luke-warm to poor support from both Hasselblad and Phase One over several years, so I think they simply don't see much money in it. They could have had both of course, that would have been nice. But I simply don't know if it's worth to bother. As it is now with no FPS, it seems to me that the CFV-50c is still a better offer for tech cam use.

Lenses: they really need a wide angle, but the 30mm is coming. That's nice. I know many would like even wider... like many like even larger aperture. Personally I think the tradeoffs are tasteful and balanced. Super large aperture and ultra wide means super large heavy complex expensive. I think they've found a good balance.

User interface / ergonomics: the sweep/touch interface did not leave me with a good feeling personally, but I think this is what people want these days. It seems to have two wheels, auto-ISO and a back-button focus drive which is what I need for hand-held shooting. Oh well, the auto focus I like to know how it works. It must be at least decent, or else there will be some substantial disappointment I think. No flip-out screen, I don't miss it, but perhaps many others will, I don't really know if it was a wise design decision or not. In terms of look not having a flip-out screen is the right thing I think, flip out screen is a bit ugly/gimmicky on a camera but very handy at times...

The size -- it's great. The modest sensor size, modest aperture, and probably not having a focal plane shutter all have contributed to this. I think that the small size is a greater achievement than we may actually think. One must understand that design is about trade-offs. There's no such thing as a "no compromise design". I'm impressed with the trade-off Hasselblad has found in this design.

If it's for me? No, I'm a tech cam guy. But I think it will be for many and that it will bring Hasselblad forward, and I also think it's a great and new contribution to the medium format segment. "Game changer" is always a big word, but compared to what I've seen throughout the years from various companies when this term is used, this is one of the better times.
Agree let's talk camera folks. I hate political crap especially this year.

Guy Mancuso

I taught 28 workshops with many of the members here as well and my gut feeling after all the DSLR cams we had and all the tech cam cool stuff we played with. If I had just one of these available we would have a tug a war on our hands on getting to use it. I know many attendees would have rather had something as simple as this to work with. Now take that case scenario outside the workshop environment than I know this would be the case no question about it. This is extremely interesting and it actually gives me a chance to sneak back in.

I'm already working on getting a demo unit. I'm not stupid . Lol

V

Vivek

The billingham luxury bag, is it included in the price of a camera or costs extra?

scho

Maybe it's just me, but the more I read about this 'game changer' the less I like.

I still think the Pentax 645z is better except for the size part of it.

What IS interesting is that this opens the door for Sony (and maybe Pentax) to come up with their own mirrorless offerings in the MF domain.
Exactly my sentiments. I would hope that a Sony MF would be more open to use of non-native mount lenses and have a focal plane shutter, in addition to costing significantly less.

Guy Mancuso

If you can make money as a professional with this camera, then more power to you. I was only speaking for myself, not others, so I used the expression "to me". I'm retired from my profession, but not retired from life. If you're lucky, you'll get there, too. :)

Joe
For me it would be a combined situation . This is a little limiting for everyday gigs I would still need at least some Sony gear. That's me though

V

Vivek

Exactly my sentiments. I would hope that a Sony MF would be more open to use of non-native mount lenses and have a focal plane shutter, in addition to costing significantly less.
The competition that Huylyss alluded to is guarnteed to be ugly looking compared to this beautiful X1D.

I hope based on the A7R shutter experience, it will be quieter with minimal shutter shovk. :)

Guy Mancuso

This actually gives Sony a preview on this market before even going into production. This is actually a big advantage for them. They can design by comments made on feature sets and such look at the numbers and press the GO button.