The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D

Paul2660

It's not been discussed if the new lenses are designed for the 30% crop factor i.e. Is the 45 really a 59mm? If you shoot wide this might present an issue it would for me. Even the 30mm would not be that wide if not designed around the crop factor.

I know many don't care about this but just curious.

Paul C

Quentin_Bargate

It's not been discussed if the new lenses are designed for the 30% crop factor i.e. Is the 45 really a 59mm? If you shoot wide this might present an issue it would for me. Even the 30mm would not be that wide if not designed around the crop factor.

Paul C
The reality is that none of the pictures I have taken recently, and very few I am planning to take, would be possible with the X1D. 35mm high resolution cameras are now far too good to be brushed aside as a junior format option.

tcdeveau

Paul C
I think it depends on your point of reference, but aren't you going the wrong way with crop factor? A 30mm on the X1D would be almost as wide as the 28mm HCD on existing backs with a 44x33mm sensor, which is pleeeeenty wide for me. In fact, if I get one, I'd probably use the 28mm HCD I already own with an adaptor instead of buying the 30mm.

baudolino

This is not going to tempt me away from my S007 but the adoption of the Nikon flash system is a brilliant move. Just pair it with the AirTTL triggers and 2-3 Profoto B1/B2 heads and it's a very practical and capable studio and outdoor flash system. I wish Leica adopted the same approach.

erlingmm

Looks like the MF version of Leica T. I don't like the iPhone-type of UI on cameras. And the finder is 2,4 MP against Leica SLs 4,4. THAT was a game changer, almost a year ago.
Can you imagine holding up a MF camera in front of you like it was an iPhone?

torger

Paul C
If not the focal length is the real (approximate) focal length then it would be the first(?) time a manufacturer doesn't provide the real focal length, small compacts excepted.

Assume we like 4:3 format so we cut down 135 36x24 to 32x24, then the crop factor compared to 44x33 becomes 55/40=1.375 (otherwise it's 1.27)

So the 45 is then 33mm 135 equivalent, the 90 is 66mm, and the upcoming 30mm is 22mm. It's a suitably wide widest angle I think, sure it's not enough for some architecture and some landscape, but the camera is supposed to focus on lightweight so it's a good trade-off.

Paul2660

why would a 45 be a 59 ? On that sensor the 45 should be close to a FF 55. Or a 35 in 36mm
I may have my math wrong, I was figuring as I would on the IQ250. The 250 has a 30% crop factor, thus a full frame MF 45mm lens, would have the respective focal of 58.5. One of main reasons I did not go with a 250 years ago.

The sensor in the H1D is the same Sony sensor thus 1:3 over the "full frame" chips.

Paul C

vjbelle

The only reason to think that way is because the back was on a device that was designed for a larger sensor. So..... it becomes a crop sensor in that environment. But, in this environment its not a crop sensor but a sensor that is designed for that device with lenses designed to match the sensor dimensions. I think that 'crop factor' should be thrown out the door except to 'only' compare it to other sensor dimensions to match equivalent lens focal lengths.

Victor

Quentin_Bargate

Actually, if I am lucky I will never retire from my profession....;-)

I'm out, too many doctors, lawyers, etc with enthusiast forum PHD's pretending to know exactly what this camera is about for me to deal with.

See you all next year!
The X1D has only been released today. We're all pretending to know what the camera is about. Or rather, work it out for ourselves.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Actually, if I am lucky I will never retire from my profession....;-)

I'm out, too many doctors, lawyers, etc with enthusiast forum PHD's pretending to know exactly what this camera is about for me to deal with.

See you all next year!
Really that is one pretty shitty comment. EVERYONE is entitled to there opinion be it right or wrong in your mind. Maybe you are thinking your at Dp review:banghead:

Guy Mancuso

The X1D has only been released today. We're all pretending to know what the camera is about. Or rather, work it out for ourselves.
Exactly and not a damn thing wrong with that we all have the same data to go by and at the moments guess work, some knowledge of how Hassy may do things or just what we think may work. If we are wrong than we are wrong. BFD

Now to Guy being a asshole because this is the **** that needs to stop TODAY. Look we are all even under the photography gods plan some are more experienced and some are not but we all are entitled to our views our life and how we view that life. We are here to share you don't want to share or be a jerk than excuse yourself for good. I have no love for jerks and you have no place here at GetDPI. Get along be polite, be nice and respect each other. Your in Guy, Jacks and Bobs house and those are the rules.

Guy Mancuso

Now with that please carry on with the conversation as it is quite interesting folks different views. Thank you i had to be a Admin for a second there

Guy Mancuso

Yep, it's why it is time for me to leave, you are better than me Guy, I could not do what you do in terms of dealing with the tech end of a forum like this, don't have the patience for it.

All I know is that this company has taken a royal beating from people who could not shoot their way out of a card house with a fire hose and it makes me sick.

I'll log out now and not be back so go ahead and celebrate folks!
There is nothing to celebrate folks would like your opinion but you can't sit here and curse the folks that are learning that is simply not fair. If you are a experienced shooter like myself its a obligation to help in my mind not run away. But do what you will but you leaving no one is winning lets be clear about that.

Hulyss Bowman

I taught 28 workshops with many of the members here as well and my gut feeling after all the DSLR cams we had and all the tech cam cool stuff we played with. If I had just one of these available we would have a tug a war on our hands on getting to use it. I know many attendees would have rather had something as simple as this to work with. Now take that case scenario outside the workshop environment than I know this would be the case no question about it. This is extremely interesting and it actually gives me a chance to sneak back in.

I'm already working on getting a demo unit. I'm not stupid . Lol
"Sapient" speaking. Many photographers I know have used and still use Mamyia 7 or 6. THIS is somehow the digital equivalent and many ppl are severely interested in it. At the time we speak the waiting list should be very long... For reportage, travellers, outdoor strobists, editors, archi ...

Guy Mancuso

There is nothing to celebrate folks would like your opinion but you can't sit here and curse the folks that are learning that is simply not fair. If you are a experienced shooter like myself its a obligation to help in my mind not run away. But do what you will but you leaving no one is winning lets be clear about that.
We all have our bad days so lets move on. Sorry if I was rude too. My knee is the size of a watermelon. and been packed in ice for 5 days now. Im not happy. LOL

Guy Mancuso

"Sapient" speaking. Many photographers I know have used and still use Mamyia 7 or 6. THIS is somehow the digital equivalent and many ppl are severely interested in it. At the time we speak the waiting list should be very long... For reportage, travellers, outdoor strobists, editors, archi ...
No question I can see this in many folks bags. Personally i would need to compliment it for work i do but heck i would love to have one for landscape work.

Im in the camp of agreeing on a long waiting list already. No question. this hits a lot of folks bags in my mind

Hulyss Bowman

No question I can see this in many folks bags. Personally i would need to compliment it for work i do but heck i would love to have one for landscape work.

Im in the camp of agreeing on a long waiting list already. No question. this hits a lot of folks bags in my mind
Yes and imagine in few years on the second hand market ... This will sale like hot cakes. Ppl will not need to wait YEARS to sale their used MF gear.

Would anyone address my question on that bag? :)
The Bag "might" be in a "kit" but probably not in all country. Same goes for the Nikon Df. If they mentioned it it is because they have some sort of agreement with Billingham and it is all about a niche market, prossumers. A pure MF maiden can now jump on MF without selling a kidney and will gain weight and IQ over his 35 mm gear. It is a total new approach of MF. When I got a H4D40 + 100/2 my first thinking was "damn ... it is more heavy than heavy".