The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yea be nice to use in C1 no question. This certainly is on my radar beam. I would love to have tin conjunction with my Sony stuff.

tjv

How was the focus speed and accuracy? Did you try it under dim light? My fear is it's like the horrible focusing on the Leica X1, lots of hunting, sluggish and has trouble locking onto focus point. My hope is its snappy and accurate, more like the Leica Q, but maybe not as fast.

bensonga

The Mamiya 7/II was for many the landscape photographer’s camera bar none. It was compact, not too heavy, had phenomenal glass and the 6x7cm transparencies it produced (when in the right hands) were gorgeous. It didn't have tilt/shift, but quite simply that didn't matter.

From what I’ve read so far, the X1D looks to be as close to a digital successor to the Mamiya as we’ve yet to see.

With the 43, 65 and 80 the Mamiya came in at ~2kg (plus film of course!) With the 30, 45 and 90, the total weight of the X1D is gonna be ~3kg. Compare that to the lightest current 3 lens MF alternative - an Alpa TC + DB + (23, 35 and 70) + viewfinder (or iPhone holder); that all comes in at ~4.5kg.

If I was a landscape shooter wanting to shoot MF without schlepping around a ton of gear, this would be right up there on my wish list.

Jim
If Hasselblad implements an electronic shutter for the X1D, I sure would like to see someone make an adapter to mount Mamiya 7 lenses on it.
Unfortunately, I don't think I'll live to see the day when a 6x7 sensor camera is available (let alone one that is "affordable"), so even the superb 43mm ultra-wide angle lens will just not have same visual impact on a X1D.

Gary

Last edited:

bab

Now that the cat is officially out of the bag, I thought it would be nice to start a new thread on this camera. I am very curious as to what everyone thinks. I, for one, just ordered an H6D-50C, anticipating an upgrade to the H6D-100C when available. I own a Sony A7RII. Although the menu sucks, I really like being able to use my Canon glass. I don't see any reason to purchase an X1D at this point in time.
I also ordered the same setup but question if the XD1 could shoot 10 FPS, had the Leica EVF and was full frame then what?

bab

I am very impressed with the size.

But for the rest I am not much wiser after the launch yet. I get the feeling this is an almost camera. If it works then great, but I'm not sure it will tempt people away from the 645Z and S007 just yet. First there are a lot of questions about usability, durability and compatibility to be answered.

The lens range is too small, a bit like the criticism was with the SL, but the SL is great with M glass. With the X1D Hasselblad is kind of saying 'but you can use S-lenses as well.', but those are very different and much bigger. No word yet on a V-adapter. They only talk of using Hasselblad lenses, like they always do. But I think they should have marketed this camera more as a stand alone camera that you can use a lot of different lenses on, kind of like Leica did with the SL (and the S). Especially since they have too few lenses now for the time being. Why not try to sell as many cameras as possible, even if it is without lenses? People will buy the lenses when they become available if they already have the camera. But I guess that penny still hasn't dropped with Hasselblad.
I agree a launch like this with out the needed answers to the flexibility of using other equipment in addition and the TBD features that might push some people into buying the kit are omitted With the initial announcement. I guess that's the take it for a drive sell!

bab

I’ve been looking at the specs and photos this morning. And I read Ming Thein’s blog post:

https://blog.mingthein.com/2016/06/22/announcing-the-hasselblad-x1d-50c/

I tried viewing the streaming video of the Hass presentation but even with my >200MB Internet connection, buffering made it nearly impossible. Lots of simultaneous viewers I’d imagine.

Anyway, there are some specs that drew my attention:

50MP CMOS medium format (43.8 x 32.9mm) sensor (8272 x 6200 pixels). Pixel well of 5.3 x 5.3 μm - Same a 645Z and best-of-breed
16-bit colour with up to 14 stops of dynamic range - Same as 645Z and best-of-breed
ISO 100-25,600 - Same as 645Z and best-of-breed
3-inch 920K-dot touchscreen display - OK but not great; would have been better if articulating; touchscreen looks excellent
2.36MP XGA EVF - Disappointing; Ming suggests that the SL EVF panel may be exclusive to Leica
Dual SD slots, USB 3.0 Type-C, mini-HDMI, Audio In/Out - Dual slots is a welcome feature especially with large file sizes
Wi-Fi and GPS - Sweet; no reason why every new camera wouldn’t have these two features
3200mAh battery - Sweet; three times the capacity of the a7RII battery
Hasselblad X1D body weight is 725g (including battery) - Wow! Didn’t see that coming

The design of the camera is very classy and sleek. I like that. The grip appears to be much better than either the Sony or Leica grips, and would fit my large hands. The price is not outrageous. Two lenses now and one to be announced at Photokina is OK but not ideal. The real question is how good will these lenses be? And how fast will AF be?

I’m not blown away by the announcement and there are some open questions that weren’t addressed:

RAW format (DNG or proprietary)
Lens adapters for non-native lenses
PDAF or CDAF
Focal plane and/or leaf shutter with final production models

Overall, a good stimulus for the industry and a signal that medium-format is alive and kicking. The next several months should provide some more data points. For the record, I just sold my 645Z and am using a Sony a7RII exclusively now. I've owned a H4D-40 and H4D-50 and several Hass HC and HCD lenses.

Joe
Yep I fell kinda the same we were hoping for a 1DX and we knew we would get one but it still serves a purpose for some even if it's only a X1D, maybe the next one will be a D1X I think that name is available HA HA. I think what hasse has pulled off is amazing though

bab

Lossless compressed RAW (unlike the lossy SOny stuff).

Can only adapt H lenses. No indication if one can operate the camera without a system lens mounted.
(Hasselblad top brass were busy denying rumors that Fuji had a part in the X1D and they are unlikely to clone/rebadge SOny's cameras/lenses in the future. Also, they were patting themselves on their backs saying how proud they are o the X1D. The livestream presentation was a waste. You did not miss much.)

CDAF- likely slow as molasses.

No FP shutter (hence adapting other lenses would be limited)

Edit: They did not mention anything about the very short camera registry or how much it is. A key aspect for adapting any lenses. Rather disappointing as they are attempting to come up with a new camera system.
I think it will be a great street camera I know the flash system will be sweet!

tjv

So it IS weather and dust sealed, that's the first of my concerns answered. I don't need water proof, but resistant is great. Now... I want to hear reports of AF performance in variable light, focus aids/peaking features and EVF experience relative to smaller competition. I might just be "in" yet...

miska

I am a bit worried about the future of such a system, because it is not necessarily in Hassi's hands.
They used Sony's 50Mpix sensor, which is already at least 3 years old. That's an eternity in the electronic world. I would have hoped, that Hassi gets an improved version of that chip, to show Sony is still developing it.

What if Sony decides not to continue the crop chip road ? Is Hassi big enough to pull a Leica, and go to another manufacturer and get their own chip ? Or is this 50Mpix chip it ?

bab

I didn't realise that it has no FPS and rely solely on the lens shutter...
This is really a bummer. I mean it could have been more, but i think they really don't have the money to develop this shutter system and also they really want to sell their own lens...

Bummer, really. Also the CDAF...
Other than size, I don't see it being that revolutionary at all!
I really think we all thought the M 9 with just 18mp was a waste until we shot it for a month and saw the results give the thing a try you might really like it if not no loss the let you try one for free so why not?

bab

I agree. The design is intoxicating. Spoken by an engineer.

Good luck with that in the USA. Freedom of speech prevails. Ask The Donald. :)

Agreed. And Quentin knows from whence he speaks.

Joe
In the USA you can sue anyone for anything that's one of rights but it doesn't mean it's right to do so, I would call the French CEO again and ask him to re explain his statement I don't think you got the meaning correctly and also mention to him if he has some extra time there is plenty left to do in France and also tell him if the Clintons get back in office the judgement won't be paid none of us will have any money left!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I am a bit worried about the future of such a system, because it is not necessarily in Hassi's hands.
They used Sony's 50Mpix sensor, which is already at least 3 years old. That's an eternity in the electronic world. I would have hoped, that Hassi gets an improved version of that chip, to show Sony is still developing it.

What if Sony decides not to continue the crop chip road ? Is Hassi big enough to pull a Leica, and go to another manufacturer and get their own chip ? Or is this 50Mpix chip it ?
I'm sure they didn't think about that, so they'll probably just close down the production as will Pentax and anybody else using that sensor :chug:

The 645 format is a crop too :facesmack:

bab

Now with that please carry on with the conversation as it is quite interesting folks different views. Thank you i had to be a Admin for a second there
His last few posts were threats and he insists he is the privileged one King Nick I wasn't going to comment on his first little tantrum the other day touting how he was special blessed by Hasselblad and all knowing but this last one made me want to say shut the F up if you know what I mean. I had a good friend not with us anymore who well...if Nicky told him off he would of not said a word but instead just laid him out you see my great friend hated threats! But that was the old way.

Quentin_Bargate

Yes it might be the Rucksack series, one of the two ;)

This is me and Sir Bargate :..
:thumbup:

I keep searching my family history for a hint of nobility but the closest I get is a chap called Sir Bartle Compton Freer, a tad controversial chap... less said about the better...;)

I have another rel who was a greengrocer from Cornwall...

But enough of that. On the Mamiya 7II front, that was a camera you could hand hold at 1/25 sec and get sharp shots. Wonderful lenses.

Stefan Steib

The billingham luxury bag, is it included in the price of a camera or costs extra?
Hi Vivek

I cannot keep myself from feeling that snobbish approach of Blad that burnt them with the Lunacy mental attack.
Somehow, the ghost is not yet back to the bottle. Unless they get rid of it, it will be hard for them.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

pegelli

I cannot keep myself from feeling that snobbish approach of Blad that burnt them with the Lunacy mental attack.
Somehow, the ghost is not yet back to the bottle. Unless they get rid of it, it will be hard for them.
Just remember (as they say in the financial world): past performance is no guarantee for future results, that's true for both for bad past performance as well as good past performance.

I think it's better to judge the new camera on its own merits, especially since the Lunacy camera's weren't even produced by Hasselblad, and under the HB skin they were not really bad either, just from a different league, outdated and overpriced.

Nick-T

Stefan seems to have an axe to grind... Attacking Hasselblad on a LL thread saying they are faking their MTFs...

Again.. Under a previous CEO HB made a really badly managed attempt to leverage the brand (Good idea/awful execution). Now there is a new CEO (Great guy) and massive investment in R&D. The H6D is awesome and the X1D is also awesome. Go Hasselblad.