The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Selfishly, I was hoping for a Sony compatible MIS hotshoe which would make this camera harder to resist. I could always get a Nikon controller for my strobes and the X1D SHOULD work but I don't know if wireless controllers would require a firmware update to be able to sync the timing properly.
For my Godox I would just need a Nikon trigger. 50 bucks

Being a Nikon TTL setup I really don't think we are going to run into any major issues

med

I wonder if the existing CF adaptor to use V lenses on H bodies will work with the H-->X adaptor once it is available. I can't think of why it won't, unless Hasselblad doesn't allow it in firmware.

iiiNelson

For my Godox I would just need a Nikon trigger. 50 bucks

Being a Nikon TTL setup I really don't think we are going to run into any major issues
Same with Priolite I believe. There's a Canon, Nikon, and Pentax controller available. I only have the Sony one. It works up to 1/8000 at any and all power levels but doesn't have TTL on it... Not that I really miss it all that much.

ddanois

I can't wait to see some solid RAW files from this camera. I'm with Guy...the long exposure times will be a big asset.

SrMphoto

Congratulations to Hasselblad to a great new product, look forward to hands-on reviews. The amount of forum traffic generated by the announcement is enormous.

A very important factor to me is how much I enjoy using a camera (see LULA article by Sean Reid: "Yes, It Matters"). Traditionally, my Leicas and Hasselblads have always been a joy to use, more so than other brands. The simplicity and design of X1D looks promising.

If the (relevant) reviews are positive, and the H-lens adapter is good, I see X1D being a great backup camera for my H5D50c (currently that is a Sony a7rII system), but also a great handheld complement to H5D. I do not care about lack of IBIS/VRs, tend to avoid them on Nikons and Sonys anyway.

One of the best things about the H5D is its glorious OVF. I do not like EVFs but I can work with them especially when implemented as in Leica Q. I do understand that EVFs are necessary in order to reduce size and weight of a camera and that they facilitate manual focus.

Exciting times.

Guy Mancuso

Congratulations to Hasselblad to a great new product, look forward to hands-on reviews. The amount of forum traffic generated by the announcement is enormous.

A very important factor to me is how much I enjoy using a camera (see LULA article by Sean Reid: "Yes, It Matters"). Traditionally, my Leicas and Hasselblads have always been a joy to use, more so than other brands. The simplicity and design of X1D looks promising.

If the (relevant) reviews are positive, and the H-lens adapter is good, I see X1D being a great backup camera for my H5D50c (currently that is a Sony a7rII system), but also a great handheld complement to H5D. I do not care about lack of IBIS/VRs, tend to avoid them on Nikons and Sonys anyway.

One of the best things about the H5D is its glorious OVF. I do not like EVFs but I can work with them especially when implemented as in Leica Q. I do understand that EVFs are necessary in order to reduce size and weight of a camera and that they facilitate manual focus.

Exciting times.

Its funny I came from years with OVF and when i switched to EVF on my Sony A7r it took about a month to readjust meslefmyself to it. Today its not even remotely a issue, you do get used to working with it subconsciously

Abstraction

I got very excited when I heard the announcement. I thought to myself: Wow! A Hassy for under $10k! Great! Now, med format is approaching reasonable pricing and that's going to affect other manufacturers. I still think that.

However, the more I think about the camera itself, the more I fail to see the point of this camera. When the announcement came out, I immediately thought to myself: Mamiya 7! But there's a world of difference from the need that Mamiya 7 filled vs XD1. Mamiya 7 was a relatively small, light 6x7 film camera. What were the other choices? RB67 - a behemoth of a camera that couldn't be hand held for any period of time. The RZ67, a bit more manageable, but still a huge camera. Pentax 67, a big camera with a 1/30 sec sync speed, which made it unsuitable for flash photography unless the camera was on a tripod, shooting static objects. So, in that sense, the Mamiya 7 provided the benefit of the big 6x7 negative in a compact, light package with a leaf shutter that could sync at fast enough speeds.

Enter the XD1. What does it offer? Well, it's a crop med format, so the sensor isn't THAT much bigger than 35mm, so in that sense, it's still competing with the smaller formats, whereas the Mamiya 7 set itself completely apart from the smaller format competition. With the lines in terms of image quality blurred by digital, med format needs to be substantially bigger than competition in order to set itself apart. In other words, as far as I'm concerned, the 645 full frame is the SMALLEST that med format needs to be in order to be viable on a mass scale to the smaller format shooters.

Furthermore, the lenses that were introduced with this camera are slow. Combine that with a sensor that's not substantially bigger than 135 and what you have is a situation where the advantages of the bigger sensor such as the shallower depth of field will not be realized. So, who is this camera for? It's hard to say. I think most smaller frame shooters who want to explore the larger sensor will be drawn more toward the Pentax 645z because of
the availability of legacy lenses. That's huge. It's huge from a choice perspective, as well as from a financial perspective. Pentax users can have access to whatever lenses out there, which are available for a song. If those lenses aren't quite up to par, a bad lens is better than no lens. At least it can be used as a stop gap measure. That's not the case with XD1, since it doesn't have a FP shutter.

Those looking for a travel set are much more likely to pick up a smaller format camera due to weight and cost savings.

So, who is this camera for? Quite frankly, I'm not sure and I'm not sure it will necessarily be a success. We may see the XD line go by the way side in a few years. However, one thing that it will do and one thing that it has done already is move the MF costs closer to sanity.

etrigan63

This is a camera I have been waiting for a long time. I have longed to switched to MF but the technical limitations of the past, the economic realities of the present and the promise of future tech exceeding it have conspired to prevent me from switching. This camera ticks off a lot of boxes in my needs list and i have already added myself to a demo list. Pricey? Yes, like a top-end DSLR or a Leica, but a downright bargain in the MF world. It is the size of a entry level DSLR and the weight is reasonable.

Heck, I even started group page on Facebook.

Guy, I'm going to have to borrow your ski mask...

torger

There's a lot of patents too in this business, I would guess it's not easy to make image stabilization stuff without some hefty licensing.

Guy Mancuso

This is a camera I have been waiting for a long time. I have longed to switched to MF but the technical limitations of the past, the economic realities of the present and the promise of future tech exceeding it have conspired to prevent me from switching. This camera ticks off a lot of boxes in my needs list and i have already added myself to a demo list. Pricey? Yes, like a top-end DSLR or a Leica, but a downright bargain in the MF world. It is the size of a entry level DSLR and the weight is reasonable.

Heck, I even started group page on Facebook.

Guy, I'm going to have to borrow your ski mask...
I think if you take this in a simplistic approach to photography this clicks the I am a landscape shooter box. BIG TIME

There is not much you need but more glass. Long exposure , good ISO, Lets say decent AF for now, light, less bulky and i really don't need stabilization your mostly on a tripod anyway. Your wife thinks it looks cool than WTF you got to lose. I personally still need my Sony

Someone show me a downside for a landscape shooter here as I do not see a downside at all . Hassy aint stupid guys they targeted you like freaking laser beam. Thanks we appreciate it. LOL

Here is the biggy you all know my past with 5 Phase backs , tech cams, DSLR bodies this is a freaking steal coming from all that.

Now if i kept all this thoughts and did not think about my other needs that i am perfect. So what I have to do is keep my Sonys for the other stuff but I can certainly reduce the amount of glass. I would keep my 24-70 and 85 GM that would be the PR kit

vjbelle

Someone show me a downside for a landscape shooter here as I do not see a downside at all .
There isn't any..... The sensor is fantastic, the 4X3 format is perfect and there's a lot of lenses available - especially long - for any landscape situation. Lots to like although many like to nit pick.

Victor

Quentin_Bargate

Quentin:
I think Hasselblad is trying to recover from its crass efforts to appeal to that crowd. They very much want to position the X1D as a serious camera for serious photographers, not bling.
I don't think so. I think Hasselblad want to get away from entirely the wrong approach to people who know far better. If you have a Patek Philippe, a yacht, a Ferrari, several houses and an private jet, a Luna is not an appealing prospect. UHNW people are not idiots. Treat them like fools, and you'll pay the price (as Hassy did with the absurd Luna)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I think if you take this in a simplistic approach to photography this clicks the I am a landscape shooter box. BIG TIME

There is not much you need but more glass. Long exposure , good ISO, Lets say decent AF for now, lighat, less bulky and i really don't need stabilization your mostly on a tripod anyway. Your wife thinks it looks cool than WTF you got to lose. I personally still need my Sony

Someone show me a downside for a landscape shooter here as I do not see a downside at all . Hassy aint stupid guys they targeted you like freaking laser beam. Thanks we appreciate it. LOL

Here is the biggy you all know my past with 5 Phase backs , tech cams, DSLR bodies this is a freaking steal coming from all that.
Ticks that box for me. Add the 30mm and perhaps a 150mm as well to the 45/90 and I'm in. I'm a gear slut admittedly but in many ways I'd add this to my current gear vs having to trade out to go to the phase iq3100

Stefan Steib

Furthermore, the lenses that were introduced with this camera are slow. Combine that with a sensor that's not substantially bigger than 135 and what you have is a situation where the advantages of the bigger sensor such as the shallower depth of field will not be realized. So, who is this camera for? It's hard to say. ....................

So, who is this camera for? Quite frankly, I'm not sure and I'm not sure it will necessarily be a success. We may see the XD line go by the way side in a few years. However, one thing that it will do and one thing that it has done already is move the MF costs closer to sanity................
I think that the point of the shallow depth of field and the MF look are more important for many people than the maybe slightly better Color to noise ratio of the bigger pixels
(which are actually not so big at all, 5,4 to 4,65 Micron - or in percent a 24x36 Sony A7RII chip pixel has around 77% of the 50 Mpix MF chip - and that one is not Backside illuminated.... ).

and losing the ability to use any kind of lens because of the lacking FPS is even more severe. On a scale of max usability that weighs much higher than a subpar AF.I would have completely left this off, by this Blad could have also made the lenses much smaller , lighter, cheaper and nevertheless more lightcollecting, with maybe f2.0 or even better.

There could have been a growing market of third party accessories, lenses, adapters and much more - all these things that make a camera system fun to use.

Nothing of all this will happen.

Sad.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I suspect tripod work will see it shine of course but Hasselblad have to be congratulated coming out with such a small light kick arse package - such a relief for me these days. I'll be buying one for sure - and ditching Alpa/Rodenstock/Schneider and the issues I've been having with the copal shutters - and all the fussing around I have to do to calibrate a damn back to the Alpa properly - I'm over futzing around.

This camera for my style of shooting and minimalist needs these days is a great way to have access to 50 megapixels - suspect it will work really well in studio as well because of sync speeds - so much more useful in real world than puny 35mm crapola and 125/250 limits.

Good to read everyone's first reactions!

Cheers
Pete
At first I was a bit disappointed then looking at the few photos available I changed my mind.

I will shoot this like I previously did the Mamiya 7II ... basically a travel camera on monopod mainly at F8 - 11 at the lowest ISO that will work. Fast AF does not matter to me ... most of my subjects are static.
If I want mojo then my Leica S006 and 100 will suffice.

My Fuji X-Pro and lenses will be dropped and this will be for me a perfect kit to replace them.

Placed my order this morning. Now to decide on the best PC adapter for my Profoto strobes when I need more than the Pocket Wizard to sync.

Bob

Guy Mancuso

Ticks that box for me. Add the 30mm and perhaps a 150mm as well to the 45/90 and I'm in. I'm a gear slut admittedly but in many ways I'd add this to my current gear vs having to trade out to go to the phase iq3100
YOU of all people should be jumping up and down. Not sure you can with all that stinking gear you carry but you can lose your load dude. LOL

vjbelle

On a scale of max usability that weighs much higher than a subpar AF.I would have completely left this off, by this Blad could have also made the lenses much smaller , lighter, cheaper and nevertheless more lightcollecting, with maybe f2.0 or even better.

There could have been a growing market of third party accessories, lenses, adapters and much more - all these things that make a camera system fun to use.

Nothing of all this will happen.

Sad.
Well, other than your continuing bashing of this new release maybe you could expand on how 'YOU' would provide lenses with 'MAYBE F2.0 OR EVEN BETTER'. Come on Stefan..... what is this really all about??

Its a great effort by Hasselblad and can only be improved on in future releases.....as most computers are improved on in time.

Victor