The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D

hcubell

I spoke to my dealer today about placing an order on the X1D. He told me has been blown away by how many pre-orders his customers have expressed interest in placing in the 24 hours since the launch video. 30! I suspected that the X1D hit the right buttons for a lot of us, but I had no idea it would be this successful. I am happy for Hasselblad, as they rejected the really bad trajectory that they were on and returned to their roots, and are now being rewarded for that. It's a good story. Let's just hope that the execution matches the expectations.

BlinkingEye

Its kind of a problem with my Sonys. So this is kinda a big one for landscape
Guy can you explain your statement, please. You have commented twice about long exposure issues, with Sony, on this thread. If you could elucidate me (us) about this point I would appreciate it as I am considering this camera. Thanks.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Guy can you explain your statement, please. You have commented twice about long exposure issues, with Sony, on this thread. If you could elucidate me (us) about this point I would appreciate it as I am considering this camera. Thanks.
I'm not a engineer but I can take a stab at this. This comes from a user prespective , maybe a digital tech will stroll in and expand on it.

The big trick here is cooling and being in tempatures that do not cause heat. So depending on outside temps these can very long but those kind of results are best at near freezing to about 45 degrees. Obviously heat causes noise so cooler the better on any cam. I think part of the issue with Sony is just shear electronics packed in a very small space and don't get the breathing room. Now these medium format sensors are designed for long exposures too and they can go a very long time. Back when I shot the CCD sensors you could only go about a minute. Today with CMOS which supposedly runs color by nature they can get up to a hour. If we look at the specs of this CMOS sensor with Leaf, Phase and Hassy I think they are all reporting about the same times and this has a lot to do with the packaging and air channels they put into these backs. I'm not the engineer guy but there is a lot going on design wise too to accomplish this. The A7r for some reason does better here than the A7r II and I don't really have a clear reason why that is. Maybe someone with a engineering background can explain this better than me. I just know we kinda hit a wall badly with the A7r II. The backs and different sensor build can go on for quite sometime depending on the heat factor. Getting close to a hour exposure can be a very useful tool.

PeterA

I think if you take this in a simplistic approach to photography this clicks the I am a landscape shooter box. BIG TIME

There is not much you need but more glass. Long exposure , good ISO, Lets say decent AF for now, light, less bulky and i really don't need stabilization your mostly on a tripod anyway. Your wife thinks it looks cool than WTF you got to lose. I personally still need my Sony

Someone show me a downside for a landscape shooter here as I do not see a downside at all . Hassy aint stupid guys they targeted you like freaking laser beam. Thanks we appreciate it. LOL

Here is the biggy you all know my past with 5 Phase backs , tech cams, DSLR bodies this is a freaking steal coming from all that.

Now if i kept all this thoughts and did not think about my other needs that i am perfect. So what I have to do is keep my Sonys for the other stuff but I can certainly reduce the amount of glass. I would keep my 24-70 and 85 GM that would be the PR kit
you got it Guy - spot on.

bensonga

A friend of mine who is a long time very high end Canon and m4/3rds gear user just pre-ordered the X1D and 45mm lens with the intention of building a light weight, high quality MF kit over time for landscape photography etc. He is not a previous Hasselblad or MF user. He also has the patience for Hasselblad to release more XCD lenses in the months and years ahead.

Just one data point to suggest that Hasselblad may have expanded their customer base and market with the X1D.

Gary

Last edited:

etrigan63

Again, the realities of my economic situation prevent me from running out and pre-ordering one of these beauties. That said, I REALLY need to use one for my photographic work to see if it suits me. I know it will be fine for my fine art stuff, but for my real estate/product work it remains to be seen. I may have to get a new Mac later this year besides a laptop for field work so those are priorities. I wonder if Cambo will make an XCD back plate for the Actus Mini as this would seem to be made for that sort of gear. Only Photokina will tell...

On other fronts, my FB X1D Group has had 22 people join in the first 24 hours.

ErikKaffehr

Hi Stefan.

I would agree that it would have been nice to have a good FP shutter on the X1D. The X1D starts with just two lenses, similar to when the Sony A7 was introduced. Due to that camera having a short flange distance and an FPS it got good sales as it brought new technolgy to old lenses.

The new Hassy does not have a shutter in the body, so it cannot be the jack of all trades the A7 is. I don't think Hasselblad wanted to make a jack of all trades system, but a functional entry level system.

I am glad they made the X1D, a bold step for Hasselblad.

I don't think I would buy the X1D FP shutter or not, as I sort of decided to not put any more money into MFD.

I hope that buyers will be happy.

Best regards
Erik

the lenses Nitto builds for Hasselblad are "on Order". The same company probably could have built an f2.0/30mm, f2.0/55mm and an f2.0/90mm Manual Focus.
Make these with a flange focal distance of 25-30mm and I bet a lot of Sony users or other mirrorless camera users Like Leica SL would have been potential customers for these as well !
With adapters all the Zeiss F Lenses like the 2.0/110 or a Mamiya 1,9/80mm would have been available, a Canon FD-L 1,2/85mm, and many many other lenses which have the image circle easily could have been used.

The H Line as a pro Camera line with backs would have been clearly separated and also shaped especially for the task it was made.

This new camera would get totally new customers into the Hasselblad world and build a 2nd column for earnings.

From a financial view I think it is nonsense, to build leafshutter lenses now, when in a few years lately globalshutter will be status of technology.
It remembers me to a bridge the german Bahn built for an existing line of trains, and shortly after they had finished the bridge, the line to that city is closed.

Am I the only one who sees this ? Calling Madness madness is not bashing, it is a constructive criticism, as I would wish Hasselblad survives alive and healthy.

If this will go wrong, that was it. After the recent lunacy desaster, a second blowup will not be taken.

And for the fans: it won´t do any good to just close the eyes and sing louder. Photokina will come and there are others out there who are doing their math
razorsharp and with no pity. It is a cruel world out there. Nearly ok is not good enough any longer.

fotografz

What really makes me crazy, is to see a 90 % finished job with nice and thoughtful details, spoiled by marketing and a management decision to keep this closed system.

Hasselblad had gotten a lot of problems from this over the years, just remember their policy with the bodies and only lately opening them for Phase/leaf backs.

Sinar has pulverized nearly the whole company with this approach and on the other hand Sony and Leica now show how to do this differently.

arghhhhh.......Even I would have bought one did it have an FPS and we all could start working bringing this to little Cambo Actuses, Shift tilt adapters, Long teles and much much more............grmpfffff
:banghead:
While I understand your Point of View, I'm not sure I get your reasoning.

Hasselblad has primarily been a leaf-shutter system. That was, and remains, a key competitive positioning and their heritage. The Hasselblad FPS cameras weren't very successful because there was so many other choices (Pentax, Contax, Mamiya, Bronica), compared to leaf-shutter based choices. While Mamiya and Fuji made leaf-shutter based MF systems cameras, they did not have a FPS either, were primarily for studio, and other than rangefinders like the Mamiya 6/7, were not portable like a V camera nor did the RFs offer long lens options. We've never been able to slap competitive FPS lenses on a V camera … the most successful MF camera in history.

How does Sony and Leica show how to do this differently? How does one turn any Sony camera into a leaf-shutter system? How does Leica? The FPS SL purportedly will take Leica CS (Central Shutter) lenses, but they will NOT operate in leaf-shutter mode. The S system camera does have a FPS, but you cannot disable it when shooting in CS mode.

How much more would this camera have cost if it also had a FPS while still maintaining leaf-shutter ability with their existing H lenses? How much bigger would it have been? How much more complex?

If we look at what the technological future may bring some unknown years down the road, e-shutter may be viable on a sensor this large. Then the FPS would be obsolete, but the leaf-shutter won't be. However, that is the uncertain future and this is NOW. Now H users have a fantastic camera to supplement their H kit, or those for whom a Leaf-Shutter system is a must have (like me and a lot of my photo friends), it is here in a relatively tiny form!

I agree that it is 90% there, but not for the reasons you mention. Besides, 90% is a lot better than more 1st iterations of digital cameras.

I also think that IF there is a market for it, some enterprising MacGivver will invent solid state adapters to use some Leica CS lenses and maybe Schneider LS optics. I also wonder if the mechanical V to H adapter will work on this?

Personally, I'm way over adapting non-system legacy lenses to other cameras. I understand the fascination and creative opportunities but am more interested in streamlining my gear than having a vault full of stuff anymore.

I could see this camera with a native 30mm, native 45mm for reportage, an HC-100/2.2 for portraits, and the HC-210/4 for the long end. I'd be great if the 1.7X also worked.

- Marc

V

Vivek

Right now I will leave here, the Brexit is happening, Cameron has resigned, the Pound is imploding, the EU has started to erase itself.
We will have some very different problems very soon.
Yeah, big, very big changes coming!

miska

I think I would want to know how well the adapter to HC / HCD lenses works (i.e. AF same or worse as with native lenses) before making any sort of decision.

It is also a Kina year, so maybe something else will come out, in a similar market. Although Hassi has probably one of the nicest lens offerings.

Hulyss Bowman

What is good with Photography, gear and forums is that they are not about, nor care about politics. So please do not speak politics... at all.

I think I would want to know how well the adapter to HC / HCD lenses works (i.e. AF same or worse as with native lenses) before making any sort of decision.

It is also a Kina year, so maybe something else will come out, in a similar market. Although Hassi has probably one of the nicest lens offerings.
Yes Kina will be interesting. As I said elsewhere, Hasseblad team (or some team members) already seen the fuji prototype. So fuji is comming with something this is 100% sure. Now, I was not able to get more info about it, if it will be fixed lens (i hope, for the price) or interchangeable lens. I pray it will be a fixed 80f3.2 like a modern heliar formula at a price around 4K max.

pflower

My HB Rep told me that contrary to rumours elsewhere the adapter will work with all HC and HCD lenses regardless of age. BUT in manual focus only - noAF. Also there are no plans for a V adapter. Query whether the existing CF adapter will work on top of the X1D. Anyone got any thoughts as to whether or not that might be feasible?

Chris Giles

My HB Rep told me that contrary to rumours elsewhere the adapter will work with all HC and HCD lenses regardless of age. BUT in manual focus only - noAF. Also there are no plans for a V adapter. Query whether the existing CF adapter will work on top of the X1D. Anyone got any thoughts as to whether or not that might be feasible?
If I can't autofocus with a HC 100mm 2.2 then that changes things. Let's see what we can find out over the coming weeks.

If I can't autofocus with a HC 100mm 2.2 then that changes things. Let's see what we can find out over the coming weeks.
Hi all,

First of all, thank you very much for all the feedback and great responses. We are very proud to have finally introduced X1D. We have been working quite a while to bring it to the world.

Don't worry. X1D will have AF working with all 12 HC/HCD lenses using the adapter. It is within the X1D feature set. Not all of the features are here at the announcement stage, but most of them will be ready when the X1Ds will reach those first happy owners.

And yes, we do listen and read your comments and feedback here. Keep them coming!

// The Hasselblad team