The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D

cly

Any information on the noise level of the shutter? Being a central shutter it should be less noisy than a FPS but this still doesn't mean it is quiet ...

Chris

Any information on the noise level of the shutter? Being a central shutter it should be less noisy than a FPS but this still doesn't mean it is quiet ...

Chris
Apparently there is some noise level, because the Mq function helps suppressing the aperture noise by stopping it down.

Godfrey

Apparently there is some noise level, because the Mq function helps suppressing the aperture noise by stopping it down.
It will be interesting to hear just how necessary this is. I still find the utterly noiseless operation on the SL (w fw2.0 and 1/8000 or shorter exposures) to be a trifle disconcerting. The light sound of the shutter cues me as to the exact moment of exposure and I miss it...

G

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I actually turn the sound on the little Sony Rxr1 II because I don't know if it shot or not. It's a leaf shutter as well but I can turn on a shutter sound.

V

Vivek

I can actually hear the shutter in RX1R II when the ambient level noise is low. It is very soft though.

At >1/2000s the e shutter kicks in and that is totally quiet.

All the annoying fake sounds from the speakers are always off.

jerome_m

The shutter is the same as in the other H lenses, so it will make the same noise. Just get your hands on a H camera, raise the mirror and shoot to get an idea. It is a small "clic": audible for the photographer but unlikely to raise eyebrows in a church assembly (I tried that...).

Godfrey

Ach.

The X1D is a lovely piece, I applaud Hasselblad bringing it to us. Whatever flaws it has will become apparent in time, and some will love it, others not. For me, I bet there are no flaws serious enough to make me not like it. Maybe some day I'll have one. I'll keep an eye on these threads about it.

Meanwhile, I'm getting back to making photos and looking for ways making better ones. In that direction lies joy.

G

Last edited:

hcubell

The shutter is the same as in the other H lenses, so it will make the same noise. Just get your hands on a H camera, raise the mirror and shoot to get an idea. It is a small "clic": audible for the photographer but unlikely to raise eyebrows in a church assembly (I tried that...).
One thing I can tell you from having used the leaf shutter HC lenses up to and including the HC 300mm lens for over 10 years, you won't have to worry about shutter shock issues with the X1D as many of us did wit the Sony A7R. If Sony, Fuji or Pentax comes out with a small, lightweight mirrorless body with the same sensor and a focal plane shutter, let's see how effectively it handles shutter vibration. AFAIK, the Sony 50 mp sensor does not permit EFCS, which the Sony A7RII implemented to deal with shutter shock.

Thank you let's continue on and discuss this new entry into the field. I know from teaching our workshops a lot of folks would love to have one of these type cameras. The 30mm is going t be nice but love to see them down the road give us even wider like a 18 and 135 / 35 equivalent . I do think a dedicated HTS adapter dedicated for this format would be nice and I think it does not have to be 1.5 but maybe even get away with a 1.2 or 1.3. I don't know the math on it but that would be very very useful in the field.
Count me in as one of those who would love to use this camera as an opportunity to move up to "medium format". I've worked my way through most of the Sony A7 series of cameras and I love the images but kind of hate the user experience. So I'm definitely gonna find a way to lay hands on this new Hassy. I could very easy see myself going with an a6300 kit for my real estate and telephoto needs and the Hassy for my detailed landscape stuff. Although I would want a shift option.

DougDolde

This thing is all about small size and lightweight.
While I've no complaints about image quality with the IQ180, the whole backpack with everything including lenses is 28 lbs. I find it constraining at my age, 69 in a couple weeks

KeithL

No DOF scales on the X1D lenses.

Is DOF information available in the viewfinder or on screen?

Scotty

Hi all, long time lurker here, first time poster.

I am excited about this camera, really.

I am currently using a 645z with 28-45 and 80-160mm lenses. Very happy except for no EVF and shutter shock with longer lenses and also when shooting portrait aspect.

I don't think I could ever go back to FF once I have had a 50mp crop MF system, I would only go bigger.

The X1D changes this all for me. It's small, light, great shutter setup (CS), MF sensor. I shoot a lot at 45mm on my zoom and whenever I had a 35mm lens, I always wanted a touch wider, so the 30mm will be great. Plus, all my short tele shots and panos I have shot between 80mm and 100mm on my zoom, so the 90mm lens will be perfect.

Hasselblad, if you are still reading, please do the following:

- allow an attachable (by Allen screws) tripod foot for the H lens adapter for the X1D and while you are at it, make it arcs Swiss compatible too.

- how about a HTS adapter that goes directly on the X1D but not only has the TS option but has the H lens connections and as minimal crop as possible, say 1.2x.

Well done Hasselblad.

Scott

torger

An interesting interview with Hasselblad Product Manager Ove Bengtson on the X1D. No zooms on the lens roadmap at this time.

Joe
Ove is great as he doesn't speak like a marketing guy. He dares to mention the tradeoffs when there are tradeoffs. You get to know things like "sure we would have liked phase detect on the sensor, but Sony was too far into sensor development".

We also get to know that since there is shorter flange distance (back focus), it's easier to design sharp lenses (that's what tech cam wides live from), but that still they are well within sensor limits and introduce no crosstalk (unlike tech wides...).

And that this is strictly a 44x33mm system, as the intention is to keep the system compact. The XCD lenses are more compact thanks to only supporting the smaller image circle, and zooms are unlikely to happen as they can't be made compact enough with satisfactory optical performance.

Between the lines I think one can read that there will be no 54x41mm mirrorless until it's mature enough to actually be a drop-in replacement for the full-sized SLRs, that is a next generation sensor that supports phase detect is the first thing that must happen.

iiiNelson

Ove is great as he doesn't speak like a marketing guy. He dares to mention the tradeoffs when there are tradeoffs. You get to know things like "sure we would have liked phase detect on the sensor, but Sony was too far into sensor development".

We also get to know that since there is shorter flange distance (back focus), it's easier to design sharp lenses (that's what tech cam wides live from), but that still they are well within sensor limits and introduce no crosstalk (unlike tech wides...).

And that this is strictly a 44x33mm system, as the intention is to keep the system compact. The XCD lenses are more compact thanks to only supporting the smaller image circle, and zooms are unlikely to happen as they can't be made compact enough with satisfactory optical performance.

Between the lines I think one can read that there will be no 54x41mm mirrorless until it's mature enough to actually be a drop-in replacement for the full-sized SLRs, that is a next generation sensor that supports phase detect is the first thing that must happen.
I see the X line remaining the entry level cropped sensors option and the H line transitioning upmarket to all MF FF sensors in the future.

The 50 CMOS is a first generation sensor it's not I fathomable that down the line we will see 80+ MP sensors of BSI MF sensors as technology improves in future bodies just as we are seeing 40+ MP sensors (with rumors of 70+ MP sensors in the works) from 135 based systems whereas 10 years ago 12 MP WAS THE high end.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Sounds interesting and I'm kinda liking it more each day. It can't replace my use of Sony which is okay. I will have to have two systems. I would imagine Sony could just upgrade the current sensor for Phase Detect and would not be surprised if they already are. This is going to get interesting. Reading the crystal ball I think another one or two OEMs might jump in as well on this sensor size

darr

I read the lens manufacturer, Nittoh, is based in Suwa, Japan and is close to where the Olympus plant is located in Tatsuno. Evidently, this area has a significant history of lens and camera manufacturing. Here is a promotional video Nittoh produced recently:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
As an ex-Hasselblad shooter I am very happy to see Hasselblad coming back with such an innovative system, actually being the first one this time. I do hope they will be able to further build on this lead and can come up with a great lens lineup as well as new bodies/sensors.

Especially as soon as they will be able to bring a body with PDAF points all over the frame it will really become interesting. I am quite sure that Sony already is working on such solutions, of course also with the obligatory higher MP count (who really needs more MP though).....

I would also not be surprised to see Fuji or Sony themselves using this sensor or the follow up chip in a MF mirrorless body.

What sure needs to get improved is EVFs - the Leica SL is already coming pretty close, but this is not just an EVF issue with more MP, but also the possibility of much faster readout from the sensor for that higher res EVF, which Leica somehow managed to achieve with their 4.4 MP Eyeres EVF in the SL.

Interesting and exciting times are starting again :cool:

robertwright

Can you imagine a pancake lens for this? Interesting that they didn't have a normal lens in the lineup on release. When I bought my 503 back in the day I bought a 60 and a 120 at the same time. I guess they had me in mind:)
If I can wrap my head around an evf finally this might be my medium format entry/exit camera. Going to see it later today at Fotocare. If I have any opines I will post.