The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D

iiiNelson

Sounds interesting and I'm kinda liking it more each day. It can't replace my use of Sony which is okay. I will have to have two systems. I would imagine Sony could just upgrade the current sensor for Phase Detect and would not be surprised if they already are. This is going to get interesting. Reading the crystal ball I think another one or two OEMs might jump in as well on this sensor size
The more I think about it this camera makes the most sense for M shooters that are aging or suffer from declining eyesight. It's relatively small and there's a good chance this system will focus on AF primes that provide maximum IQ.

Where it would fit for me is to cover duties that I normally relegate to faster primes (in the 21-135mm range) and to have a A7RII with a telephoto zoom to cover those focal lengths.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds interesting and I'm kinda liking it more each day. It can't replace my use of Sony which is okay. I will have to have two systems. I would imagine Sony could just upgrade the current sensor for Phase Detect and would not be surprised if they already are. This is going to get interesting. Reading the crystal ball I think another one or two OEMs might jump in as well on this sensor size
The more I think about it this camera makes the most sense for M shooters that are aging or suffer from declining eyesight. It's relatively small and there's a good chance this system will focus on AF primes that provide maximum IQ.

Where it would fit for me is to cover duties that I normally relegate to faster primes (in the 21-135mm range) and to have a A7RII with a telephoto zoom to cover those focal lengths.

tcdeveau

IMHO it makes the most sense for people that want to shoot MF, need something portable, and don't want to spend H-system or Phase prices...I def think M shooters fall in that range.

For me personally, the portability factor is huge. I'm not in the shape I used to be, and on my last two trips to SF and NYC, hiking around all day with my H system and TVC-33/BH-55 was exhausting. I nearly threw out my back in SF with camera gear and the other luggage I had (I was there for business) before I even started shooting anywhere, and that would've meant no shooting at all for that trip. I'm not looking for any sympathy or anything, but a sub-$10k MF system with the size/weight reductions of the X1D over the H-system, 645z, phase/xf/df is pretty significant when traveling and hiking is involved. The idea that I could also hand-hold an X1D and a lens and shoot all day while walking around/hiking would greatly increase my usage of the format.

I'm also starting do more travel with my wife, and traveling with my huge backpack (~30 pounds) of H-system, sony gear, and current tripod setup is becoming less and less practical when we travel together...especially on trips like camping this weekend when we're bringing the dog. There are some other practical advantanges of the system aside from the camera itself as well. The 28mm HCD, for example, with it's 95mm filter thread means large ND filters (I'm using 165mm and love shooting 10-stop or more). If they came out with a 30mm XCD with the same or similar IQ as the 28mm, I'm guessing it'd have a smaller diameter and would take smaller filters, and I could away with traveling with 100mm filters instead of 150mm/165mm which in turn means less luggage again. I could also travel with a smaller tripod. Even if it's not perfect at launch or as a generation 1 product, a MF camera system the size of the X1D would allow me to bring it more places and shoot more than I do my current H-system while having similar or better IQ and the shooting experience of the Hasselblad that I prefer over my Fuji or Sony.

People have selective attention to detail. The camera is made in Sweden. The lenses are designed by Hasselblad and manufactured in Japan by Nittoh. That's been asked and answered multiple times by Hasselblad.

I I don't understand the call for a lawsuit though. That's ridiculous.
It was a response towards a previous post threatening a call for a lawsuit of bashing Hasselblad products.

There is verbally a difference between "Made in" and "Assembled in". Electronic devices are declared with "Made in" in a grey area but if argued can make ambiguity.

I totally agree with the Prada/Gucci CEO's idea of securing Hasselblad's logo as a luxury brand. History and culture is indeed very important for products set with such a price tag. However sometimes it's just less than ideal when you have to out-source your lenses to Fuji in Japan, and even offer your logo to a company like DJI (which is regarded in China as a cheapo drone company with little respect). I fully understand that sometimes compromises must be taken for the optimal solution.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Everyone outsources. I do not know a manufacturing company that does not get at the minimum from other parts of the world. Btw has zero to do with these lenses in the X1d designed by Hassy made in Japan by Nittho. I'm not sure who else they produce but Hassy has repeatedly said Its designed in Sweden

hcubell

It was a response towards a previous post threatening a call for a lawsuit of bashing Hasselblad products.

There is verbally a difference between "Made in" and "Assembled in". Electronic devices are declared with "Made in" in a grey area but if argued can make ambiguity.

I totally agree with the Prada/Gucci CEO's idea of securing Hasselblad's logo as a luxury brand. History and culture is indeed very important for products set with such a price tag. However sometimes it's just less than ideal when you have to out-source your lenses to Fuji in Japan, and even offer your logo to a company like DJI (which is regarded in China as a cheapo drone company with little respect). I fully understand that sometimes compromises must be taken for the optimal solution.
It would be great if we could avoid these senseless controversies and keep the focus on the merits of the X1D and any potential competitive offerings.

Guy Mancuso

It would be great if we could avoid these senseless controversies and keep the focus on the merits of the X1D and any potential competitive offerings.
I agree. That stuff to me is all politics and marketing BS. I could care less about either. This is about the product at hand not something Hassy has or did do in the past. I could give a crap. This is a global market I have no issues what's made anywhere in the world as long as they produce top notch quality I could care less where it's made. Leica does not use everything from Germany either it has to use at least 51 percent of the parts to say Made In Germany. That's from the horses mouth. So what's that tell ya. Nothing at all. Lol

Everyone outsources. I do not know a manufacturing company that does not get at the minimum from other parts of the world. Btw has zero to do with these lenses in the X1d designed by Hassy made in Japan by Nittho. I'm not sure who else they produce but Hassy has repeatedly said Its designed in Sweden
If I'm correct, Rodenstock lenses have clearly marked "lens made in Germany" and "copal 0 shutter made in Japan".

If the same applies to the X1D then it could read as something ridiculous like "sensor (core component) made in Japan". :grin:

I agree. That stuff to me is all politics and marketing BS. I could care less about either. This is about the product at hand not something Hassy has or did do in the past. I could give a crap. This is a global market I have no issues what's made anywhere in the world as long as they produce top notch quality I could care less where it's made. Leica does not use everything from Germany either it has to use at least 51 percent of the parts to say Made In Germany. That's from the horses mouth. So what's that tell ya. Nothing at all. Lol
There are many practical people who doesn't care about marketing BS. To them the Sony mirrorless is indeed a very good choice. This Hasselblad X1D could also be a nice choice.

Guy Mancuso

Yea but what difference does it make is the point unless you got something against Japan manufacturing or something like that. Putting the lenses together is just production. What really counts is design but I'll take that a step further it's the raw materials and the process of making glass itself . Which really is the catylist for the look. Seriously you gotta give up its made here or there as that's just all BS at the end of the day. What it does counts nothing else.

Guy Mancuso

There are many practical people who doesn't care about marketing BS. To them the Sony mirrorless is indeed a very good choice. This Hasselblad X1D could also be a nice choice.
I think they are all good choices if it fits your need. Obviously not all of them don't fit everyone's shoes. That's okay we have plenty to chose from. This product is just the start

Nick-T

The only decent lenses in the world are made by Zeiss! That's a fact! Everything else is rubbish!!!!

Oh wait I think Cosina make the Zeiss lenses, never mind....

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Some folks just want to elevate themselves by diminishing others .... so if I am an expert you must be a dolt.

Nittoh manufactured the XPan lenses ... 'nuf said ... no one I know has anything but great memories of those.

Contrast sharpness and acuity off the scale ....

Nice to know that those long term relationships in manufacturing have been renewed.

Oh my, I guess I am a beta as I see nothing but good in this.

Rant over .... perhaps.

Bob

The only decent lenses in the world are made by Zeiss! That's a fact! Everything else is rubbish!!!!

Oh wait I think Cosina make the Zeiss lenses, never mind....
So true … first of all I think "Made in Japan" is a good thing, because some of the best glasses came and still come from there. As far as I know, some Zeiss lenses are assembled by Cosina, others, like the Otuses, are made in Germany. Zeiss insists that their tight quality control procedures are applied anyway. So QC is the main point, IMHO.

As the tolerances get tighter and tighter, QC means a lot, and all of you who have bought/tried 3-4 copies of a lens in order to find a good one, know what PITA this can be. Problem is, that it has nothing to do with "made in X country".

The nice phrase "handmade in Sweden" is kind of cute, especially in combination with the video they showed…. if it is a lens made with aspherical elements, handmade still makes a lot of sense, especially if the technicians know what they are doing, but for a mirror less camera :bugeyes:… still waiting for the 20 min video where they show how the aluminum body is handcrafted by Emil of Lönneberga.

Mr.Gale

Back in the OLD days, some claimed the sand used by Zeiss to make their glass was superior to the sand the Japaneses used therefore, Zeiss lenses produced better images. I think some marketer made up this rumor. :)

Mr.Gale

robertwright

Managed to get ahold of one today at Fotocare's demo day. Obviously demo software, so it is just a teaser.

The size, weight and balance and feeling are all first rate. The build quality on the body is excellent. Touch screen is snappy even in demo, pinch to zoom, double tap to 100%, lots of good things already.

Autofocus was still a work in progress, didn't try focus peaking but you might be able to manually focus this even without it. Viewfinder is not enormous but had decent eye relief, but they need to address the information layout and legibility.

Camera is quiet, the shutter is definite. Could not assess the blackout time between frames in demo software but I hope it's brief like the Sonys.

Overall the feeling was just right, so they got that going for them. The details will be where it either becomes amazing or just ok. But they seem to have most of it sussed out and its seems intuitive, not overly complex and everyone was saying how the heft and feel were spot on.

Could be a huge winner for them.

Tim

Nittoh manufactured the XPan lenses ... 'nuf said ... no one I know has anything but great memories of those.

Contrast sharpness and acuity off the scale ....

Bob
I wonder how well the XPan lenses will adapt to the X1D ? :watch:

tjv

Sounds promising.

Understanding it's "demo software", what was the autofocus like and did the Hasselblad reps talk at all about what they are working on in the way of improvements for final release?

What was wrong with the information layout in the EVF? Did they talk about that stuff, too?

So... The million dollar questions... Is it a viable digital Mamiya 7 replacement?

Thanks for the report.

Managed to get ahold of one today at Fotocare's demo day. Obviously demo software, so it is just a teaser.

The size, weight and balance and feeling are all first rate. The build quality on the body is excellent. Touch screen is snappy even in demo, pinch to zoom, double tap to 100%, lots of good things already.

Autofocus was still a work in progress, didn't try focus peaking but you might be able to manually focus this even without it. Viewfinder is not enormous but had decent eye relief, but they need to address the information layout and legibility.

Camera is quiet, the shutter is definite. Could not assess the blackout time between frames in demo software but I hope it's brief like the Sonys.

Overall the feeling was just right, so they got that going for them. The details will be where it either becomes amazing or just ok. But they seem to have most of it sussed out and its seems intuitive, not overly complex and everyone was saying how the heft and feel were spot on.

Could be a huge winner for them.

Guy Mancuso

Great report sounds really good considering they are still far out on release to the streets. Obviously have more work to do.