The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D

torger

If a t/s adapter needs a crop factor I would hope they would make it user selectable displayed like the aperture going from 1.1-1.6 in increments of one. Also then would like the cropping and as well as all the aspect ratios like square to be in an XMP file so the full view captured by the sensor is available but the software like phocus and Lightroom defaults to the crop.
The current HTS for the H system magnifies optically (a tele converter), so you don't need to crop on the sensor. I'm quite sure the same would count in the unlikely event that they make one for the X1D.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Ahhh, I see Matt, that makes a lot of sense, ignore me! It would be truly great if the future saw a wide t/s lens put in to action though, would be a great package although I imagine it won't be long before we see a Cambo/Arca mount for use on their cameras soon.

Mat
Just as the 30mm T/S lens for the Leica S would have been wonderful. Well, since mirrorless looks like the future, I give better odds for such a lens appearing on the X1D than the S. Alas.

M

vjbelle

I haven't looked to deeply, what would stop it from being mounted to an Actus or something for example with a tech lens on the front or the Canon or any other mount? Is there a sync port? I'm guessing entirely here but wouldn't it work the same as the Actus with a db? Obviously I am aware of the normal reported issues with movements but I'm talking is there a practical reason why it couldn't be mounted beyond there not yet being a bayonet mount for it?
The sync port can be handled by a hot shoe adapter. It could work perfectly on an Actus or Universalis. It just requires either Arca or Cambo to make an adapter.

Victor

cly

Is/will there be a virtual horizon in the EVW? (Shooting hand-held with a wide like the forthcoming 30mm this would be quite important, IMHO.)

Chris

Godfrey

so no one could make a leaf shutter within an adapter? (edit: probably cost prohibitive)
I do recall now the central filter. Seemed like a fix for a design that was a bit lacking IMO.
One could, but it's not easy and it's also cost prohibitive, as you suggest.

Let's not waste time on the forty-year-old focal plane vs leaf shutter debate. Each has its plusses and minuses. One of the minuses of in-lens leaf shutters is that cameras which use them are less adaptable to the use of other lenses, but they have several advantages over large focal plane shutters (noise, vibration, durability, etc). It's not worth debating again...

G

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
One could, but it's not easy and it's also cost prohibitive, as you suggest.

Let's not waste time on the forty-year-old focal plane vs leaf shutter debate. Each has its plusses and minuses. One of the minuses of in-lens leaf shutters is that cameras which use them are less adaptable to the use of other lenses, but they have several advantages over large focal plane shutters (noise, vibration, durability, etc). It's not worth debating again...

G
Minor correction: compatibility with leaf shutter lenses does not prohibit other lenses. The lack of a focal plane shutter does. Cameras like the Leica S and Phase One XF have both kinds of shutters and therefore can use third party or legacy lenses.

MrSmith

you have to wonder what advantages you get even if you could mount it to an actus? an extra 7mp, the format ratio and the small increase in sensor size if that matters to you. if you own an actus already then you probably have an a7rII or a live view capable 50/100mp back. so less movements for a 7mp increase and inability to sync some of the lenses you own.
Depth to the body so less wiggle room for wides compared to an MFD back.
and for some users you get sensor stabilisation/on-chip af? 4k video and access to just about every lens out there for 2k not 7k (sorry to mention the dirty word A7r)

at some point there will be a mirrorless MFD camera that would be a no-brainer for actus use. this isn’t it.

still a nice walk around camera though.

The only decent lenses in the world are made by Zeiss! That's a fact! Everything else is rubbish!!!!

Oh wait I think Cosina make the Zeiss lenses, never mind....
Another post from somewhere else:

Here's how Samsung gets Schneider Kreuznach to make lenses for 'em:

SAMSUNG: "We're making a play, like every other man and his giant-electronics-corporation dog, for the digital camera market. Unfortunately, we have zero credibility in the camera industry, and, well, that's where you come in..."

SCHNEIDER KREUZNACH: "NEIN! Ve are a respected European opticz company, with many years of fine tradition und expertise in the field..."

Samsung drops, with a surprisingly loud thud, a briefcase on the conference table. It pops open, revealing row upon row of shiny Euro notes, neatly bundled in 10000-Euro lots

SK: "...and as such vill not be villing to zell our name for use on some cheap, mass-produced cameras! Our lens are a ground by magic elves, und coated vith ze finest, purest dragon's urine..."

Samsung reaches into its pocket, and pulls out a handful of diamonds, water clear, each the size of a human testicle, and tumbles them onto the briefcase

SK: "Our lenses are hand-assembled by virgins! The lens barrels are polished on zeir thighs!"

Samsung whistles, and a team of sunglass-wearing security guards with earpieces screwed into their ears, wielding submachine guns, enter the room. They briefly check the corners, the faces of those at the conference table, then nod and mutter into their lapels. Seconds later, a powered trolley laden with gold bullion enters the room, and is placed at the head of the table.

SK: "EACH LENS IS HAND-TESTED BY ZE POPE!"

Samsung pulls a share certificate from his pocket. Laying it next to the briefcase, it reads: "COCA-COLA: 250,000 Shares".

SK: "I look forward to working vith you, Samsung. Here's the TIFF file of our logo. Stick it vhere you vant. Guten tag!"

Apologies to the Germans on the board...

V

Vivek

Minor correction: compatibility with leaf shutter lenses does not prohibit other lenses. The lack of a focal plane shutter does. Cameras like the Leica S and Phase One XF have both kinds of shutters and therefore can use third party or legacy lenses.
100mp sensors can make use of yesteryears fast lenses (Contrary to Hasselbald's claims about "compromising IQ" with non Nitto lenses).

Do not fall into the marketing its all exactly that marketing
Not sure about the western market but I can assure you that in China (where these expensive cameras are supposed to sell most) the marketing BS is indeed an important thing for expensive cameras. Just like people there purchase exotic cars 99% for the logo and make, they value a lot with the logo, tradition and culture when they purchase an expensive camera as a luxury item. They show more respect to BMW cars made in Germany, but little respect to BMW cars made in China.

I do respect people making their own choices based on practical and objective points, i.e. focus on the camera itself rather than "pointless marketing BS". These are people who actually take pictures. It's just reality that there are also people out there who "likes" to fall into the marketing.

dickb

No one (I asked Hasselblad but they disappeared) figured out the camera registry yet?

The sensor plane is marked on the body.
Based on the dimensions given and images of the side view of the camera, with the sensor plane marking, I measure a registry distance of 18.5mm. Give or take a mm or 2, to allow for errors caused by perspective and/or my inaccuracy.

V

Vivek

Based on the dimensions given and images of the side view of the camera, with the sensor plane marking, I measure a registry distance of 18.5mm. Give or take a mm or 2, to allow for errors caused by perspective and/or my inaccuracy.
Thank you!

This would allowfor adapted Canon's TS lenses (with no movements) to be used in B mode and with a hat as a shutter.

Stefan Steib

Aaaaargh - even worse. Could you imagine what a nice Device that would have been with an FPS on a Bellows like a Balpro TS with e.g. Mamiya RZ Lenses ?
Or on an Actus, X2 whatever ? Perfect..........not.

Grmpf :angry:

V

Vivek

Aaaaargh - even worse. Could you imagine what a nice Device that would have been with an FPS on a Bellows like a Balpro TS with e.g. Mamiya RZ Lenses ?
Or on an Actus, X2 whatever ? Perfect..........not.

Grmpf :angry:
Leaves room for improvement or a great chance for another brand to step in. :)

dickb

There is no chance of adapting the X pan lenses for any practical use for these reasons:

1. There is no built in shutter in them that can be operated by the camera.

2. Even on film, the 30 and 45mm lenses need a central filter to minimize the vignetting. On a digital sensor, that too a large one, there is no prayer.
From what I read, a centre filter was needed for the 30mm and to a lesser extent the 45mm, at larger apertures and in the panoramic mode. In that mode the image size is 65mm wide, considerably wider than the 44mm of the XD1. So there may be a prayer still on that front. The lack of shutter remains the major problem of this camera for those who want to adapt lenses other than the officially approved ones..