The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D

Godfrey

Personally, I have no interest whatever in adapting lenses to the X1D, just like I never had any interest at all in adapting lenses to the 500CM. I only adapt Leica lenses to the SL—because Leica supports them with lens profiles and mount adapters.

I've experimented with adapted lenses on various cameras for years. Very few actually pass muster for me, the native lenses have nearly always outperformed any adaptation in one way or another. So I've given up the adaptation hobby.

I can see adapting lenses for specific purposes where it makes sense, like a perspective control mount or whatever. But it doesn't make sense with the X1D because of the lack of in-camera shutter. It is what it is: judge it on its merits, not what it "might have been".

G

Last edited:

dickb

I may have made a slight mistake in previous calculation of the registry distance of the X1D. I assumed the height dimension of 98mm was including the EVF bump. I than read this:

Hasselblad X1D dimensions: 150x98x71 mm (camera body only, excluding protrusion)

So that may not be a correct assumption of mine. If the 98mm doesn't include the EVF, the registry distance is 20mm instead of 18.5mm. Not a big difference, but it may be relevant to someone.

For those who think adapting lenses to this camera isn't an interesting idea, feel free to ignore this post..

f8orbust

The more I think about the X1D, the more I wonder if my days of messing around with big, heavy MF-DSLRs, copal shutters, one-shot releases and LCCs are over. I’d like to see the price pitched a bit lower, but it’s difficult to be too peeved when the cost of the X1D-50c + all 3 lenses is less than that of a used IQ150 (which makes the pricing of those IQ backs looks soooo stale).

V

Vivek

The more I think about the X1D, the more I wonder if my days of messing around with big, heavy MF-DSLRs, copal shutters, one-shot releases and LCCs are over. I’d like to see the price pitched a bit lower, but it’s difficult to be too peeved when the cost of the X1D-50c + all 3 lenses is less than that of a used IQ150 (which makes the pricing of those IQ backs looks soooo stale).
One thing that the marketing got right is that- pricing in comparison to...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Personally, I have no interest whatever in adapting lenses to the X1D, just like I never had any interest at L in adapting lenses to the 500CM. I only adapt Leica lenses to the SL—because Leica supports them with lens profiles and mount adapters.

I've experimented with adapted lenses on various cameras for years. Very few actually pass muster for me, the native lenses have nearly always outperformed any adaptation in one way or another. So I've given up the adaptation hobby.

I can see adapting lenses for specific purposes where it makes sense, like a perspective control mount or whatever. But it doesn't make sense with the X1D because of the lack of in-camera shutter. It is what it is: judge it on its merits, not what it "might have been".

G
I'm kinda in the same boat. Although I would adapt some H glass until we get more native X1D lenses

V

Vivek

One can not ignore how generous Sony have been in making their E mount open and accessible to anyone and everyone.

Godfrey

One can not ignore how generous Sony have been in making their E mount open and accessible to anyone and everyone.
One could consider it generous, but one could also consider it self serving and driven by the lack of Sony lens options for so long a time.

Leica doesn't have this problem, as they have a ready assortment of perfectly appropriate M and R lenses in the hands of potential customers and on the market to adapt to the SL with dedicated adapter and profile optimizations. Same for Hasselblad, given the mount adapter for H lenses that will ship with the X1D and nets a system of 14 available lenses. Given these existing ecologies of supporting equipment, there is little real motivation for philanthropy.

G

Stefan Steib

I would say it´s about the Mindset. Take a look at the Leica S. They make very good lenses. BUT - they allow their users to do their own choices and open up this system
to Hasselblad V, H, Contax 645, Mamiya 645, Pentax 67.
They offer these adapters by themselves, so they make sure the quality does match the system requirements.

http://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-S/Technical-Equipment

As much as I know Leica is growing and very healthy. They cannot even build the stuff fast enough, many people have to wait for their ordered gear.

Now what does this tell us ?

V

Vivek

Given these existing ecologies of supporting equipment, there is little real motivation for philanthropy.

G
It is actually a great move on Hassy' part. They ought serve their own interest first before anyone else's. I have no problems with that.

However, the limitations also do not entice me to buy the X1D.

Godfrey

I would say it´s about the Mindset. Take a look at the Leica S. They make very good lenses. BUT - they allow their users to do their own choices and open up this system
They offer these adapters by themselves, so they make sure the quality does match the system requirements.

http://us.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-S/Technical-Equipment

As much as I know Leica is growing and very healthy. They cannot even build the stuff fast enough, many people have to wait for their ordered gear.

I suspect it tells us what common sense leads to: When the Leica S system was introduced, it was a new product line for Leica and had a very limited range of available lenses. The prospective buyers were quite likely to have Hasselblad V, H, Contax 645, Mamiya 645, and Pentax 67 equipment (especially lenses) AND be looking for a digital solution MF (remember Hassy H wasn't digital at first), so the "opportunity for philanthropy" presented itself in the best interest of Leica. They could offer these adapters because the S was designed with a focal plane shutter, which has been Leica's norm since the early 1900s, and so was not limited to lenses that carried compatible shutter systems.

Now that Leica S has 10 lenses in production, the availability of these adapters is no longer so critical but as long as the adapters sell and return profit through their own sales and the sales of S bodies, there's no motivation to discontinuing them.

G

Godfrey

It is actually a great move on Hassy' part. They ought serve their own interest first before anyone else's. I have no problems with that.

However, the limitations also do not entice me to buy the X1D.
That may be true, but one body sale will not make or break the success of the X1D as a product. From what I understand, pre-release orders are running well ahead of expectations.

Similarly for me, I'm unlikely to order an X1D at present both for lack of cash to do so and for lack of the lens that makes it most appealing to me ... Namely an ultra wide in the 22mm range. (The 30mm upcoming at Photokina will be nice I'm sure, but for what I want out of this sort of camera, I will not be buying until an 18 to 23 mm focal length surfaces.)

G

Last edited:

iiiNelson

One could consider it generous, but one could also consider it self serving and driven by the lack of Sony lens options for so long a time.

Leica doesn't have this problem, as they have a ready assortment of perfectly appropriate M and R lenses in the hands of potential customers and on the market to adapt to the SL with dedicated adapter and profile optimizations. Same for Hasselblad, given the mount adapter for H lenses that will ship with the X1D and nets a system of 14 available lenses. Given these existing ecologies of supporting equipment, there is little real motivation for philanthropy.

G
By that logic of counting Leica M & R lenses as "native" (of convenience I might add) the Sony system isn't paltry (and hasn't been for years) if you count A-mount and Minolta lenses.

Let's be honest about it all. Yes the Sony FE cameras only launched with three lenses with longer and faster zooms coming a few months later but Leica only had "perfectly appropriate" R lenses on the second hand market due to abandoning the system years ago. People got tired of awaiting the "R-solution" and decided to off load R lenses, convert them, or some adapted them to mirrorless bodies.

The SL is a very good camera (few will deny that as attributed to the images in the Fun with thread...) and one that would've kept me as a Leica customer possibly. If we are talking about native use without adapters then yes the FE mount was limiting (and still is for some) for certain types of photography. The SL is far more limited in the number of native options available although the focal ranges covered with the two available lenses are greater than what was available in the FE mount until recently when the 70-300 was released.

Not to make it a brand war (because there's far too much negativity surrounding this camera to begin with) but this is a MF thread on the Hasselblad X1D and the potential merits of it. You've repeatedly stated that you have limited interest in the camera (and how great the Leica SL is compared to everything else in 35mm format, how terrible adapting lenses can be, etc.) so I think it's fair to say... Everyone gets it... You love your Leica and have limited interests in the Hasselblad X1D.

I'm not a moderator or the thread police but you seem to have an odd habit of repeating yourself and continuing to follow threads after you state that it doesn't interest you in multiple threads. Now I think more often than not I tend to enjoy and value your perspectives, your images, and input... Even when I don't agree with them. I just don't understand why anyone would constantly follow or comment on things that don't interest them.

In other news the Regional Manager for Hasselblad reached out and told me they're attempting to plan a Hasselblad X1D Event in my area in the late-July to mid-August timeframe.

k-hawinkler

Thanks Tre. Well put.
May I come back to the X1D, having never owned a larger than FF camera.
For what kind of photography is the X1D supposedly exceptional and why?
I read some of the glowing endorsements earlier in this thread but would appreciate a more technical explanation. TIA.

hcubell

Technical Equipment // Leica S // Photography - Leica Camera AG

I believe Hasselblad made the right choice by using specially designed leaf shutter lenses and not incorporating a focal plane shutter. The potential for shutter vibration in a body as small and lightweight as the X1D was likely too great with a focal plane shutter. If Hasselblad had incorporated it so people could stick any old honker of a lens on the body and the image quality with those adapted lenses was impaired by shutter vibration, everyone here and elsewhere would have been screaming bloody murder. Does everyone forget the hue and cry about the Sony A7R? BTW, didn't the Mamiya 7 use leaf shutter lenses? How about the Fuji MF rangefinder cameras? Before jumping to conclusions about why Hasselblad did what it did, let's see what others offer and at what cost (price wise and in terms of other trade offs) and if it's so much better.
It is also quite possible that the body would have to be much bigger and heavier to accommodate a focal plane shutter and to (try to) properly dampen it. Is that trade off most people want? I don't.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

Thanks Tre. Well put.
I read some of the glowing endorsements earlier in this thread but would appreciate a more technical explanation. TIA.
That's sort of my thinking... I haven't owned a camera larger than 35mm although I've used a few before that were. I think I could get along with the XCD 30/45/90 (corresponds to 24/35/75-ish primes in 35mm terms) for daily or near daily use to keep in my work satchel as a walk around camera. Many days I have my A7RII with a Batis 25/85 in the bag.

It's a lot of money to stomach for me right now but in time and as firmware improves I could see myself with one.

Godfrey

HiredArm,

If you wish to interrupt perfectly reasonable discussion with ad hominem remarks, fine. But you are now on my ignored list. I'm sure this disturbs you intensely.

Bye.

Godfrey

Some ideas:

Format size affects the ability to control focus zone. Larger formats enable you to obtain shallower DoF for when that is appropriate, smaller formats allow you to obtain deeper DoF.

Larger format, higher Mpixel sensors also generally*enable more gradations in the subject to be captured, so when you are looking for greater subject detailing and tonal texture they are an advantage.

For my expressed interest in the X1D (ultra-wide photography with a short focal length lens), the added depth of field control, high resolution, and ability to capture more tonal gradations are important and what I would look to the X1D to provide beyond my current solution. The look of images made with medium format film, just like larger format sensor digital cameras, has nuances that are not easily reproduced with smaller formats despite how good many of today's cameras have become.

G

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor

G
You left off the S and that was very limited out of the gate and took some time to get a adapter.

Anyway let's try and stay on topic with the X1D everyone