The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D

Dennis,
I am 99% sure all the dials can be pushed in and used as buttons as well. And you can either use the touch screen or the dials to navigate the menus. Relocating the focus point may only be possible via the back screen though. I'm sure they could implement it via the dials, but it seems like it would be tricky to use, unless you only went left to right.

I am really excited about the Hasselblad X1D and am thinking about getting it since I have been interested in getting a medium format camera and do a lot of studio work and would love the flash sync speed up to 1/2000.

I know the final product and features aren’t finalized but I was wondering about the autofocus. I read that touch autofocus would be a feature and that the focus point will be able to be moved; however, I was wondering how the focus point will be moved when looking through the EVF. On my camera I have a multi selector (thumb controller) button. I do see that the X1D has fixed buttons and dials but it seems like it would be awkward to move the focus point when shooting with the EVF.

Does anybody know or have an educated guess about how Hasselblad will/could implement moving the focus point when shooting with the EVF?

Also, does anybody know if Hasselblad will have manual focus aids like focus peaking or magnify? I saw that Hasselblad responded to that question with "Autofocus metering via contrast detection with instant manual focus override" but did not directly answer the question.

Thanks!

dennishuang

Dennis,
I am 99% sure all the dials can be pushed in and used as buttons as well. And you can either use the touch screen or the dials to navigate the menus. Relocating the focus point may only be possible via the back screen though. I'm sure they could implement it via the dials, but it seems like it would be tricky to use, unless you only went left to right.
Thanks, Josh.

Nick-T

Dennis,
I'm told you will be able to select which focus point you want while looking through the EVF.

biglouis

I got my eye on this camera......
Likewise.

The thing that attracts me is the 50mpx sensor. Everything I've seen from that sensor is beautiful. It is the most important part of the camera, imho.

In an ideal world I would like a CFV50c to use on a 50x body or SWC. However, to get the same sensor in a much smaller and convenient body at the price point is incredible and ideal for what I want to shoot.

The 30mm lens which they plan to announce at Photokina is essential, imho.

Just my two cents.

LouisB

CSP

Does Phocus support Sony cams by chance

Like to download it and get some H6d files to play with.
phocus supports sony files via the apple raw engine but some tools are not available for non hasselblad raw files. i must say i do like phocus very much because the files you get are very neutral, with great natural color and well balanced very different to the cooked style of c1. in workflows where you go to photoshop for retouching i much prefer this approach but i think for high volume work lightroom is better suited.

vjbelle

Likewise.

The thing that attracts me is the 50mpx sensor. Everything I've seen from that sensor is beautiful. It is the most important part of the camera, imho.

In an ideal world I would like a CFV50c to use on a 50x body or SWC. However, to get the same sensor in a much smaller and convenient body at the price point is incredible and ideal for what I want to shoot.

The 30mm lens which they plan to announce at Photokina is essential, imho.

Just my two cents.

LouisB
You bring up some good points. However, to me, the make or break for this camera will be the lenses. The new lenses are unknown - forget about MTF charts. The lenses have to be tested. The fallback is using existing HC lenses which have a history.

Victor

dwood

I'm very interested in giving the X1D a spin. As an fyi, I recently sent a note to the LensRentals folks asking if they had plans to add this system to their rental inventory. They sent a note back, and they plan on having the X1D available just as soon as they can get them...probably Sept. They seem pretty stoked about the X1D too.

It's a great idea to start knitting my ski mask. I did the math and it needs a lot of help.
You might really want to handle one before doing anything rash, I thought I really wanted a Sony A7R a couple years back, but decided against it after I visited a friend who had the Sony and I got to use it. It almost seemed like a no-brainer to have a small and light, but still capable camera that you could adapt any lens to, but it was actually too small for comfort and I felt like it compromised on too many features to get there. Something I didn't anticipate just perusing spec sheets. YMMV.
Give me a nice solid SLR anyday, which doesn't come with tons of fine print listing what you can't do and in which modes. Even the mighty Leica SL locks focus when shooting at 11fps, and you have to step down to 7fps to actually get it to do what it's supposed to. Amazing by mirrorless standards either way, but always anticipate stuff like this.

Paul Spinnler

I would highly recommend for anyone to wait until Photokina before spending any amount on MF gear. I bet Fuji will come along with a 4k MF rangefinder - which will seriously make all other manufacturer's prices too high in comparison.

Godfrey

I would highly recommend for anyone to wait until Photokina before spending any amount on MF gear. I bet Fuji will come along with a 4k MF rangefinder - which will seriously make all other manufacturer's prices too high in comparison.
Unless they've made a terrific breakthrough in the cost of manufacturing a 50Mpixel 33x44 mm sensor, I imagine the Fuji pricing will be quite similar to the Pentax 645Z.

But regardless, lower price alone is not a good reason to buy a particular camera system. There has to be more to the choice than that. Cameras like this are not interchangeable commodities. It certainly makes sense to wait until Photokina before spending $9000 to $16000 on a new camera and lenses to see what the other manufacturers are offering since it's obvious there are going to be new products announced. But basing your selection purely on price doesn't really make sense unless the products are otherwise identical in performance, function, and quality.

G

Godfrey

Give me a nice solid SLR anyday, which doesn't come with tons of fine print listing what you can't do and in which modes. Even the mighty Leica SL locks focus when shooting at 11fps, and you have to step down to 7fps to actually get it to do what it's supposed to. Amazing by mirrorless standards either way, but always anticipate stuff like this.
You lead me to ask: How often do you find yourself shooting at 11fps? And with what camera?

Seems to me my D750 manual is about a 360 page book with many many notes and warnings about what settings work in what circumstances and how...

G

V

Vivek

It is a "no brainer", Paul. :)

(Not just the price but also the lack of a focal plane shutter in the XP1).