The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D

Pradeep

Pradeep,

Clearly each of has different thoughts on the "best " camera for our purposes, but I think LS lenses are a plus for landscape shooting, since they are less likely to cause/contribute to camera shake. When locked down on a tripod, this may not be as much of an issue, but I would still opt for less movement/vibration within the camera. I am not a proponent of handheld landscape work, but if necessary (limited time, rapidly changing light, moving platform) I would opt for LS to increase the possibility of a usable image. Having said that, I admit to currently shooting LS lenses, so I am probably biased...:cool:

John

Hi John:

Frankly, I've never faced the 'shutter shock' issue in any of the digital cameras I've used in the past 15 yrs except the A7R at shutter speeds of between 1/150 to 1/250 (roughly speaking). The only LS lenses I've used have been the Phase 80, 75-150 and the 240mm so my experience is rather limited. I didn't see that they offered anything extra though, maybe it was the camera, I don't know. All I can say is that for about a fifth of the price I got a more efficient and better system with the Pentax.

As far as mirrorless is concerned, I always do my landscape imaging with the mirror up and locked so it doesn't matter either. The big advantage of mirrorless as in Sony is the size and the ability to use ANY lens with an adapter. I've even put my Canon 600 f4 MkII on it just for kicks and gotten tack sharp images. Heck, I used a Nikon 14-24 with a Nikon to Canon to Sony adapter for landscape photography in Iceland. Totally manual but the results were great.

People beat down on Sony for their UI and other issues. From where I am coming, I would say that the A7R and its successor have been revolutionary cameras in so many ways. That was one of the most innovative developments in the world of digital imaging.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
... but if you use it on a regularly base and not just every few weeks is is NOT that difficult to master. this ongoing lament tells more
about the user than the camera.
Tread lightly and it might behoove you to know your audience ....

Marc is a highly respected wedding photographer who probably puts more mileage on his cameras in a month than I will on mine in a lifetime. His
suggestions and technique are usually worth deep consideration and many of us have incorporated them in our photography.

So truly his lament is based on a fairly deep understanding of complexity and elegance .... the second rather lacking in Sony's implementation of
user interface.

Just saying ....

Bob

V

Vivek

People beat down on Sony for their UI and other issues. From where I am coming, I would say that the A7R and its successor have been revolutionary cameras in so many ways. That was one of the most innovative developments in the world of digital imaging.
Totally agree. Those who complain never took these cameras seriously enough to spend some time to understand what they are capable of. :)

docmoore

Hi John:

Frankly, I've never faced the 'shutter shock' issue in any of the digital cameras I've used in the past 15 yrs except the A7R at shutter speeds of between 1/150 to 1/250 (roughly speaking).
Hi Pradeep,

I have to interject a personal reflection on vibration and its deleterious effects ...

I have seen it with the Pentax 67 and with my Leica S-2P .... it ruined a bunch of irreplaceable shots early in the morning near a small lake in Texas. I was
attempting to photograph a very shy heron that was stalking near the far shore in gorgeous light. Mirror up 2 second delay on monopod ... Leica S-2P
and a Pentax M* 300 with adapter. Nailed the exposure and from the back screen looked like I had some wonderful captures. At home in LR it was evident
that the shutter had in effect compromised most of the pictures. The Leica S has a weird system where even if you use a leaf shutter lens the focal plane shutter
is used prior to the LS. My experience with my Mamiya 7II and Hasselblad H2, H3DII 39 and Alpa TC with leaf shutter lenses has been wonderful ... handheld at ridiculously
slow shutter speeds with no movement.

So I look forward to X1D lenses ... also much easier to dust and clean the sensor that is not buried deep in the body.

One of the few pictures I salvaged with shake reduction in PS :

Leica S-2P Pentax P67 300 EDIF M*

Bob

fotografz

what did you aspect ? a camera with more advanced feauters and options than all generations before ? of course this is a complex camera and you need more time
to learn it. but if you use it on a regularly base and not just every few weeks is is NOT that difficult to master. this ongoing lament tells more
about the user than the camera.
:ROTFL:

- Marc

MGrayson

All threads lead to Sony :facesmack:

The A7 series is astonishingly capable. I dislike only two things about it: the UI and the supercilious response to anyone who dislikes the UI.

--Matt

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

I am not defending Sony's menu system or user interface.

What I do say is that if you use a tool you need to learn how to make best use of it. For my part, I assigned those functions I often use to two presets, one for free hand and another for tripod based use. I have done that since Konica-Minolta days.

Next I put those functions I often need to select on programable buttons, there are plenty of those. In addition there are 12 items accessible trough the function menu, I use some of that, too.

I certainly feel that the menu system is a mess. If I want to change a setting I often need to go trough all items. But I almost never go into those menus.

I have not a lot of experience with other cameras, I have used Konica-Minolta, Sony, a few Canon compacts and a very mechanical Hasselblad with a P45+.

Anyway I seriously feel that anyone using an advanced system, that any camera really is, should invest the time to configure it for their needs.

Presets are essential for that. They take the camera to a known state at a flick of a switch.

Best regards
Erik

Yet, there is such a thing as good user design and ergonomics that promotes less involvement with the camera when exploring various creative ideas or visions.

I've quipped to friends that I need to tattoo the Sony manual on my arm so I can control the damned thing when in the throes of shooting … where I'm more interested in what the subject is doing or what is happening with the light. It is as if a lawyer wrote the interface, subchapter-interface, sub-annotation interface, for Sony:ROTFL: I'm surprised there aren't asterisks* on menu items.

It's a dog's breakfast no matter how you configure it or assign short-cuts. I've never used a camera so demanding or requiring as much attention … it's a needy little brat IMO.

If we keep on excusing Sony and giving them a pass, they'll never change anything.

IMHO.

- Marc

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have no issues with my Sony gear once you really get used to it. I turn a lot of stuff off or I have it configured pretty well now. But I will say it takes time and patience to get this system down to not thinking about it and get out of my way.

Frankly I even think this Hassy will be loaded for bear too. Maybe better organized and all that but I think it still will have a lot of optional stuff. It has four Custom buttons let's see if we can change them to whatever we want and customize it some. Sony left about 4 things out of the FN or Custom buttons that drive me back to the menu.

Crop mode
Live view on/off
Review On/Off
Format

The first three I could really use in the FN . I'm sure we may hit some of this with the Hassy , will see. But I honestly don't consider my Sony a cluster ****. It's disorganized and I would love someone to develop a software program on our computers and let us set it up whichever way we want save and transfer to camera those settings. That would be a ideal solution plus you have those settings for other backups.

And if anyone is listening I would pay a 100 bucks for that software in a NY second.

BANKER1

Let me see. I'm getting pretty old and forgetful, so I'm wondering why I ended up on this Sony thread. Oh yes, now I see, this is the X1D thread. Whew, I thought I was really losing it.

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

I would like to have "live view display -> effect setting [off][on] on a custom key, just for instance. Cannot do it...

Yes, it would be really neat to be able to configure the camera from a computer.

On of the problems is that there are so many settings. So it is seldom that I want to change one of the 150 settings on the camera. What I want to do is to take the camera to a well defined state and change a few settings. Presets are good for that.

Best regards
Erik

Crop mode
Live view on/off
Review On/Off
Format

The first three I could really use in the FN . I'm sure we may hit some of this with the Hassy , will see. But I honestly don't consider my Sony a cluster ****. It's disorganized and I would love someone to develop a software program on our computers and let us set it up whichever way we want save and transfer to camera those settings. That would be a ideal solution plus you have those settings for other backups.

And if anyone is listening I would pay a 100 bucks for that software in a NY second.

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

It may be that many of those interested in/impressed by the X1D are Sony shooters. Probably not many D1X shooters around, as the camera is not released and much of the functionality has not yet been implemented.

Many of those users don't like some (or most) parts of the Sony feature set but still use it, possibly because it does the job.

In a way, the A7rII and the X1D have a lot in common:

• They are the only large sensor and fully integrated mirrorless cameras right now.
  • Both use Sony sensors, X1D uses 50 MP 44x33mm and Sony 42 MP 36x24mm.
With the cameras being close in format size and sensor technology, comparison between the two is quite natural.

Best regards
Erik

Let me see. I'm getting pretty old and forgetful, so I'm wondering why I ended up on this Sony thread. Oh yes, now I see, this is the X1D thread. Whew, I thought I was really losing it.

vjbelle

Hi John:

Frankly, I've never faced the 'shutter shock' issue in any of the digital cameras I've used in the past 15 yrs except the A7R at shutter speeds of between 1/150 to 1/250 (roughly speaking). The only LS lenses I've used have been the Phase 80, 75-150 and the 240mm so my experience is rather limited. I didn't see that they offered anything extra though, maybe it was the camera, I don't know. All I can say is that for about a fifth of the price I got a more efficient and better system with the Pentax.
Actually by the time you get to the shutter speeds you mention the issue has been mostly eliminated. The real culprit speeds are between 1/10 and 1/100. Its really moot at this point since Sony has addressed this issue. But I've experienced the dreaded shutter shock on numerous expensive camera bodies including the Phase 645 DF, Alpa FPS. The Alpa went back within 72 hours and I refused to shoot the Phase..... just sat on a shelf and was finally traded in on a Leaf CMOS back. I don't know what to say to anyone that says they have 'never seen' this issue but its simply a matter of physics and extremely difficult to mitigate. I shoot exclusively with Copal shutters now and I have all but eliminated this issue but that's not to say that someone with an atomic vibration sensor couldn't detect something. My biggest enemy is 'Wind'.

Victor

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Agree , Sony is very close to the new Hassy and vice versa. They both represent some of the best in mirror less and what many shooters are looking for in the Hassy is what advantage we can get moving to a mirror less MF system . There are certain feature sets on the Sony that many are hoping it comes on the Hassy. As mentioned I want those 4 custom buttons to user adjustable with a great selection of options. It don't have it than I'll put my 14 grand somewhere else, it's just that simple. So it's very natural to see what feature sets come in on the Hassy. I think it's fair that we talk about this as we are not here trying say well my camera eats yours for breakfast. I have not seen that crap yet and when I do I'll change the tone of this thread and honestly if someone does not like it than change the channel. I'm sick of playing this game folks this is adult site with much to offer each other. If it starts smelling bad I'll change the direction but I think we keep everything in prespective it's perfectly fine. Snide comments keep to yourself. This is supposed to be fun. Yes I'm getting old and grumpy too. Lol

KeithL

I'm spoilt by choice.

Give me a few - very few - dedicated dials and buttons and I'm a happy bunny.

Chris Giles

What really hacks me off are cameras without a joystick to select the AF point.

Totally disrupts the flow of a shoot. It's what stops me from giving more time to mirrorless as an option for weddings.

CSP

What really hacks me off are cameras without a joystick to select the AF point.

Totally disrupts the flow of a shoot. It's what stops me from giving more time to mirrorless as an option for weddings.
i forced myself to use the control dials instead of the tiny control wheel on my sony to move the af point. for my big hands this works far better and is more reliable.
after some time it became routine but the real fun with this cameras is face and eye detection. i have to confess it took me some time to trust this function but know i can say
the focus achieved this way is far more accurate even under difficult lighting than a single af point ! hope hasselblad is able to implement this kind of technology.