The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D

modator

I would like to spend some words about X1D too...

1) At all it's not portable:
also with the 45mm lens it have the size/weight of a FF camera plus a zoom lens.
2) Adapting HC lens is possible but the balance is tremendous:
accepting that the adapter is a tube 52mm long only the HC 80mm / HC 100mm are hand held usable, the heavier 50, 120, 210 require a tripod adapter or some handling device to obtain a proper balance of the camera / lens, the 300mm only on a tripod, the wide angle from 35 to 24mm are heavier too..

3) Nitto lens what they are ?
I don't know nothing about this company, why hasselblad had choose them instead od Fuji is a mystery !

I use the 50c sensor since the beginning and I'm very happy with it is a good performer, but 50m pixel in 44x33 mm means it's a very dense sensor, to squeeze the quality from such beast the sensor is only a part of the chain, to make outdoor photos I opted for a serie 5 gitzo GT5562GTS tripod with arca C1 cube on it, that's 4,6Kg only and to shoot I use mirror up, tethering etc to be sure no vibration compromise such high resolution.
With a tripod setup I'm around 30% perfect result and 50% acceptable, the other 50% is blurred...
I figure out that X1C is the same, so using hand held for casual / street photo with all the compromises can lead in blurred photo at very high percentage.

I'm thinking for who is made this camera ?

Before the presentation I was wondering they go in this direction but plus Image stabilization and pixel shift multi-shot etc like Pentax K1, this X1D without any stabilization is less usable than a H5 / H6 camera.

I'm waiting to read the first impression of true user.....

Domenico.

iiiNelson

1) At all it's not portable:
also with the 45mm lens it have the size/weight of a FF camera plus a zoom lens.
2) Adapting HC lens is possible but the balance is tremendous:
accepting that the adapter is a tube 52mm long only the HC 80mm / HC 100mm are hand held usable, the heavier 50, 120, 210 require a tripod adapter or some handling device to obtain a proper balance of the camera / lens, the 300mm only on a tripod, the wide angle from 35 to 24mm are heavier too..

I don't know nothing about this company, why hasselblad had choose them instead od Fuji is a mystery !

I use the 50c sensor since the beginning and I'm very happy with it is a good performer, but 50m pixel in 44x33 mm means it's a very dense sensor, to squeeze the quality from such beast the sensor is only a part of the chain, to make outdoor photos I opted for a serie 5 gitzo GT5562GTS tripod with arca C1 cube on it, that's 4,6Kg only and to shoot I use mirror up, tethering etc to be sure no vibration compromise such high resolution.
With a tripod setup I'm around 30% perfect result and 50% acceptable, the other 50% is blurred...
I figure out that X1C is the same, so using hand held for casual / street photo with all the compromises can lead in blurred photo at very high percentage.

Before the presentation I was wondering they go in this direction but plus Image stabilization and pixel shift multi-shot etc like Pentax K1, this X1D without any stabilization is less usable than a H5 / H6 camera.

Domenico.
1) There are sites where you can compare the size and is say that the X1D is fairly portable being that it's only slightly larger than a Leica M240. The lens filter size is 67mm which is the same size at the 25 or 85 Batis lenses. Neither of them are very large or unwieldy lenses.

2) Agreed that the primary benefit to adapting HC/HCD lenses is for specialized use until more lenses are released. For this reason I can see the value in the 100/2.2 for portraits.

3) Nittoh made the lenses for the much heralded XPan camera. Few complain about the quality and I imagine manufacturing in the Nittoh plant was done to control costs while still meeting Hasselblad's standard.

I don't know what Fuji's manufacturing capacity is or if it were even an option for Hasselblad to use them with the X-system being successful in the camera market. Even still, they use Sonybto manufacture sensors and other companies to manufacture the glass used in lenses. It's just the way things are.

4) There's no mirror to lock up. There are smaller sensors with 50mp and even smaller sensors with higher pixel density. It's very possible that with higher shutter speed use and leaf shutters that image sharpness will be controlled.

This is something we will learn in time.

Mikec

I'm very happy that Hasselblad decided to build this camera. I plan on pre-ordering it. It's a bit risky without knowing how it handles but it's a risk I'm willing to take for the portability it offers.

Ever since shooting with the 645Z, I've been spoiled by the sensor. Yes, one can extract results that are very close with the D810 and A7RII. However, I find the files from the 645Z "richer" and easy to print for me.

However, I'm definitely keeping the S for the incredible viewfinder and 100mm lens. So many great choices, it's difficult to go wrong. It's way easier to find faults with any camera or system though.

Pradeep

Hi Pradeep,

I have to interject a personal reflection on vibration and its deleterious effects ...

I have seen it with the Pentax 67 and with my Leica S-2P .... it ruined a bunch of irreplaceable shots early in the morning near a small lake in Texas. I was
attempting to photograph a very shy heron that was stalking near the far shore in gorgeous light. Mirror up 2 second delay on monopod ... Leica S-2P
and a Pentax M* 300 with adapter. Nailed the exposure and from the back screen looked like I had some wonderful captures. At home in LR it was evident
that the shutter had in effect compromised most of the pictures. The Leica S has a weird system where even if you use a leaf shutter lens the focal plane shutter
is used prior to the LS. My experience with my Mamiya 7II and Hasselblad H2, H3DII 39 and Alpa TC with leaf shutter lenses has been wonderful ... handheld at ridiculously
slow shutter speeds with no movement.

So I look forward to X1D lenses ... also much easier to dust and clean the sensor that is not buried deep in the body.

One of the few pictures I salvaged with shake reduction in PS :

Leica S-2P Pentax P67 300 EDIF M*

Bob
Beautiful image, Bob. Love the B&W treatment on it.

Yes, I agree shutter or other camera vibration can ruin a terrific shot, just like any sudden movement in the vehicle can during a wildlife shoot. It is an even bigger problem with heavy equipment that is harder to hold steady without a tripod. Thing is, in the field MF does not do very well (although I've had reasonable success with the Pentax as I have posted here before). LS lenses are at present only confined to MF systems (AFAIK).

Here are two images I took back to back, the first is ruined by the idiotic woman in the vehicle with me who moved without warning. Fortunately I was able to take another one right after while the leopard was still looking at me.

Not much you can do in this situation with any lens/equipment, but you could save the day if the camera is capable of quick AF and high frame rate as in this case (1DX).

And no, this has nothing to do with the X1D of course :D

001_Tanzania_20130216_1DX_1431.jpg002_Tanzania_20130216_1DX_1432.jpg

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

It is Nittohkogaku (https://www.nittohkogaku.co.jp/en/) not Nitto…

The lenses are designed by Hasselblad, although I would guess Nittoh refines the design for production. Hasselblad publishes MTF data for both lenses and they are very good.

Regarding vibrations, the X1D should be almost vibration free. No mirror and no focal plane shutter. Leaf shutters are unproblematic. Wind and ground vibrations can still kill the image.

The other part is about focusing. You need critical focus for critical sharpness and that issue is vastly underestimated…

Best regards
Erik

Domenico.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Here are two images I took back to back, the first is ruined by the idiotic woman in the vehicle with me who moved without warning. Fortunately I was able to take another one right after while the leopard was still looking at me.

Not much you can do in this situation with any lens/equipment, but you could save the day if the camera is capable of quick AF and high frame rate as in this case (1DX).

And no, this has nothing to do with the X1D of course :D
Pradeep,

The 1Dx is one of my favorite cameras ... I used a lot of Nikon ZF.2 glass on it but loved the speed color and when EF Glass the near perfect AF. Did I say color .... exceeded most of my DSLRs
with little work.

And I am glad that you could capture the look ... beautiful picture ... would be on my wall had I captured it.

I do not see the X1D as much other than landscape travel and locked down studio ... portraits with big lights and backgrounds or on location with battery pack lights.

But that is a lot and it would work for me.

Regards,

Bob

DougDolde

I love my Sony TV but to me, Sony is too much of a newcomer to the photography field, or at least I just can't take these hi rez new Sonys seriously. OK it's irrational

I had an RX1R for a while, didn't care for it. Sold it. Maybe should have kept it but compared the Contax 645 and Aptus 75S I was shooting at the time it seemed like a toy.

V

Vivek

I love my Sony TV but to me, Sony is too much of a newcomer to the photography field, or at least I just can't take these hi rez new Sonys seriously. OK it's irrational

I had an RX1R for a while, didn't care for it. Sold it. Maybe should have kept it but compared the Contax 645 and Aptus 75S I was shooting at the time it seemed like a toy.
My toy, the 42mp RX1R II, can do accurately AF with blazing speed. It is doubtful if the X1P's CDAF would even match that of the gen 1 RX1.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

Pradeep

I think he meant system cameras...
Yes.

FWIW, I did own the original Sigma DP1 when it first came out. Sold it after a few months, absolutely unusable with poor AF, terribly slow response times etc. Not worth it just for the improvement in IQ. I am not so sure but I think that one had a leaf shutter too. When the Merrill was announced and reviewed, I thought times had changed, but sadly in terms of performance they hadn't so I didn't bother with it.

The quest for perfection in a small package continues........

(The Rx1R2 comes pretty close ;) )

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm missing every stop they make. Wish they circle back to NY. I'll be there for several weeks. I'm even driving across country and I'm missing all there stops.

iiiNelson

No stops planned for the southeastern US, except Boca. And Boca is just a suburb of NYC. :mad:
Min wondering if they haven't updated their calendar. They released a schedule very early (within 48 hrs of the announcement) but I received the email that you received in regards to a possible NC demo. My only fear is that they choose Greensboro or Charlotte based on clientele. Both of those cities tend to have a bit more "premium stock" available to them when compared to RDU.

That's the bad thing about being sandwiched between DC and Atlanta I guess.