The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D

modator

Hasselblad X1D XC Lens

With the introduction of this new model the MF lens become lighter and small...

But everything have a price, the relative illumination XC (yellow) versus the HC-50 II (white)
looking at the graph they seems identical... also the XC graph seem better...

Better if You don't look at the scale... in fact the XC relative illumination scale ends at around 28mm... looking at the other lens size for the 50mm that's the closest to this 45mm F3,5 it seem in the time the glass is becoming little little..

Finally the XC lens have it's advantage in the price ! with half of the glass and half of the weight, it has half of the price.

Who knows if it has also half of IQ ??

Domenico.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Seems they have change the grip material already that's a sign to me that Hasselblad is striving for perfection and ultimate satisfaction for their customers and that's good to hear!!!
Im thinking that they are still finalizing the production version. The preview cameras were a long way from finished.

chrismuc

Today I had the oppertunity to follow a Hasselblad X1D presentation in Munich and could play a bit with the camera.

some details that were new for me

- Hasselblad plans to introduce a black version of the X1D at Photokina
- they plan to release TS lenses and further tele lenses in the future starting 2017
- the final firmware will offer nine focus points equally distributed within the 44x33mm sensor area; there will be no face or eye recognition which would require more focus points to work properly
- there is no way to use Hasselblad V lenses even with the V-H plus H-X adapter (this means no way to trigger the leaf shutter in the V lens by the camera)
- there is (currently) no way for an electrical cable release (only wireless via the iOS app); maybe technically possible via the USB port?
- it will be possible to zoom in to 100% on the app (on iPhone or iPad) because a full resolution jpg is transmitted wirelessly
- with current firmware the life view changes from back screen to EVF by the eye sensor, in future fw one will be able to switch off the back screen manually
- leaf shutter noise: terrible sound. loud, high frequency, 'cheap', annoying, IMO unacceptable. that was a kind of dealbreaker against the camera for quite everyone who attended the presentation. i am wondering no one else mentioning that issue in the early reviews. i remember the leaf shutter noise from a normal Hasselblad H lens on the Alpa FPS (without using the built-in focal plane shutter) and that was a very silient and pleasent noise. totally different from the X1D.

not new but recognizable

- the camera feels very nice in the hand. the grip is well shaped (more ergonomical than Leica SL), grip height is sufficient to be used without a battery grip (which is anyhow not available) and it is rather deep
- the EVF is basically the same like in current Sony and Fuji cams but frame rate is rather slow; will be quicker at final release but the Hasselblad rep could not specify how quick it would be and if the lag could be reduced
- the camera becomes rather warm already within minutes due to the heat generated by the large sensor that is in action continously to deliver the life view in the EVF or back screen; according rep should be better with final version but may still remain a critical issue especially at high outdoor temperatures
- the lenses have a very nice feeling of MF even with drive-by-wire and they feature a silicone O-ring at the mount à la Zeiss Batis; they are heavy and rather large which is a bit surprising considering that they are rather slow
- the camera is really slim so a bit hard to imagine to add a focal plane shutter in front of the sensor for more lens flexibility in a future version

tjv

What? No wired cable release?!

I'd never trust a wireless / iPhone release in the field. If this is true and there is not a proper, wired cable release in the works, it is a major oversight.

For the rest of it, I'm surprised there will only be 9 focus points. It wouldn't bother me in pratice I don't think, but I would have thought the user could select points across the entire frame like other mirrorless cameras?

jerome_m

- leaf shutter noise: terrible sound. loud, high frequency, 'cheap', annoying, IMO unacceptable. that was a kind of dealbreaker against the camera for quite everyone who attended the presentation. i am wondering no one else mentioning that issue in the early reviews. i remember the leaf shutter noise from a normal Hasselblad H lens on the Alpa FPS (without using the built-in focal plane shutter) and that was a very silent and pleasant noise. totally different from the X1D.
I did not notice that during the presentation I assisted (not the same one). The noise was different to the one of the H cameras, but not really loud. It is different because the aperture is closed right before the shutter function and opened again, so it is a series of 3 clics.

Maybe the specific prototype your tried had a different shutter?

chrismuc

What? No wired cable release?!

I'd never trust a wireless / iPhone release in the field. If this is true and there is not a proper, wired cable release in the works, it is a major oversight.

For the rest of it, I'm surprised there will only be 9 focus points. It wouldn't bother me in pratice I don't think, but I would have thought the user could select points across the entire frame like other mirrorless cameras?
Same for me. Wifi with my Fuji or Sony is often unreliable. If I for example quickly have to do 30 outdoor shots on tripod within a few hours and I switch off the camera while moving the tripod it is no problem to shoot immediately afterwards using the cable release but to set-up the wifi every time it was lost is really time consuming and annoying.

I also don't understand why not more focus points are possible, but the rep said they would be placed exactly in the centers of the nine fields one can see if the double line grid is switched on.

chrismuc

I did not notice that during the presentation I assisted (not the same one). The noise was different to the one of the H cameras, but not really loud. It is different because the aperture is closed right before the shutter function and opened again, so it is a series of 3 clics.

Maybe the specific prototype your tried had a different shutter?
He had a 45mm and a 90mm lens available, both had this very strange sound, but the rep said it's 'normal'. Acc the rep, the lenses are final designs, just the (very few existing) cameras are pre-release models.
And actually you're right, it's a kind of multi-click-sound from the combination of aperture and leaf shutter (a bit like the first Sony A7 which also had a strange double-click sound).

bab

He had a 45mm and a 90mm lens available, both had this very strange sound, but the rep said it's 'normal'. Acc the rep, the lenses are final designs, just the (very few existing) cameras are pre-release models.
And actually you're right, it's a kind of multi-click-sound from the combination of aperture and leaf shutter (a bit like the first Sony A7 which also had a strange double-click sound).
first off thanks for the detailed report of the experience you have had with one of the prototypes,to your noise issues I believe someone did mention that noise also.
Its a bit hard to get cameras for testing from a brand company and then drop a bomb on the review I would guess if you not a reviewer but an actual ambassador for the company? The news about the TS lens possibility is strong, that alone will sell many cameras in conjunction with the proposed zoom offerings. Go H!

GrahamWelland

TS lenses would make the X1D basically a compelling camera for me. For travel it would make it very interesting as an alternative to my Cambo Actus DB+ & IQ150. Of course that are many aspects still why many of us love shooting real technical cameras but having a system camera body with TS lenses ticks most of my check boxes.

Of course, this is all predicated on the TS lenses being wide & mid range lenses and not like the sole Phase One TS lens which is way too long for much use for landscape shooting.

45 & 90mm TS would be great. A 35mm TS even better.

hcubell

TS lenses would make the X1D basically a compelling camera for me. For travel it would make it very interesting as an alternative to my Cambo Actus DB+ & IQ150. Of course that are many aspects still why many of us love shooting real technical cameras but having a system camera body with TS lenses ticks most of my check boxes.

Of course, this is all predicated on the TS lenses being wide & mid range lenses and not like the sole Phase One TS lens which is way too long for much use for landscape shooting.

45 & 90mm TS would be great. A 35mm TS even better.
TS lenses would be a very attractive proposition, but strangely at odds with the explanation that a remote cable release will not be available because the X1D was
conceived as a "walk around" camera. I wonder if Hasselblad misjudged the real market for the X1D.

GrahamWelland

No cable release at all would be very disappointing although a timed release is there built in. Discussing with the rep when they demo'd the X1D consensus was that a USB remote would have to be provided as an option if only for credibility reasons. I agree that it is a significant oversight not to have a solution at product launch. (That said it took phase one a year+ to deliver a cable release for the XF although at least there was a dedicated port!)

Nick-T

TS lenses would be a very attractive proposition, but strangely at odds with the explanation that a remote cable release will not be available because the X1D was
conceived as a "walk around" camera. I wonder if Hasselblad misjudged the real market for the X1D.
That's not quite accurate. What I said was that it was conceived (IMO) as a walk around camera. It does have a tripod socket and I have asked if there will be a wired or wireless remote, Haven't had an answer yet as a bunch of Swedes are on holiday :)

ErikKaffehr

Re: Hasselblad X1D XC Lens

Hi,

The 50 mm needs to cover a larger area as it is designed for a larger sensor size. So effective light drop off is about same on the X1D compared to 50 mm HC/3.5 used on larger sensor.

The 45 mm is actually wider than the 50 mm, albeit the difference is small.

The MTF data indicates it has very high image quality, but MTF is about sharpness in the focal plane. So it is perfectly possible the lens is very sharp but may still have less than pleasant bokeh. But, a very good MTF usually indicates a well designed lens.

Light fall off is not a great issue, as it is easily corrected in software. Software correction of images have been a hallmark of Hasselblad for a long time.

So, I don't think it's half the image quality at half the price. My guess the new lens is better than the old lens when the old one is used on a crop sensor back.

Best regards
Erik

With the introduction of this new model the MF lens become lighter and small...

But everything have a price, the relative illumination XC (yellow) versus the HC-50 II (white)
looking at the graph they seems identical... also the XC graph seem better...

Better if You don't look at the scale... in fact the XC relative illumination scale ends at around 28mm... looking at the other lens size for the 50mm that's the closest to this 45mm F3,5 it seem in the time the glass is becoming little little..

Finally the XC lens have it's advantage in the price ! with half of the glass and half of the weight, it has half of the price.

Who knows if it has also half of IQ ??

Domenico.

tcdeveau

That's not quite accurate. What I said was that it was conceived (IMO) as a walk around camera. It does have a tripod socket and I have asked if there will be a wired or wireless remote, Haven't had an answer yet as a bunch of Swedes are on holiday :)
I got the impression from the product launch and previous comments from Mr. Oosting that it was conceived for portability, not necessarily strictly as a walk around camera. An X1D plus native XCD lenses may not be a walk-around camera per say, but it would certainly fit the bill for portability...especially compared to an H + HTS + HC/HCD combo.

Regarding remotes, I also imagine a wired remote would be possible with the ports present and some enablement via firmware. The X1D uses the usb-c standard. It's still pretty new and a google search doesn't pull up any usb-c wired remotes currently available, but in time I'm sure we'll see some (at least some third party chinese ones) and hopefully the X1D will allow their use. As previously stated, regardless of ports, it took Phase how long to come out with a remote for the XF and it's still in short supply? I think we should give Hasselblad a little slack here. I too prefer wired remotes but I use time delay all the time with my H4D and it serves the same purpose just fine (though I also enjoy my cheap $4 third party remote trigger). I'm going to a hands on Aug. 9th and will be asking a bunch of questions and will try and follow up on TS lenses, remote, etc.

Jan

I am absolutely sure I don't need this camera. I have plenty more gear than I really need already. I am very interested in this camera because of my previously stated interest in ultra wide, larger format photographs; a compact MF digital body, without a swinging mirror and with a high quality UW lens, would net me the "SWC digital" camera I have wanted for a decade. Even better that it would be a Hasselblad.

G
With the announcement of a 30mm later this fall it will make your 'SWC digital camera', no? Alternatively, if AF is not a must for you, a SWC with a mighty fine Phase One back will do as well, although net wise more expensive. Than again, what would you consider ultra wide on a MF camera?

Godfrey

With the announcement of a 30mm later this fall it will make your 'SWC digital camera', no? Alternatively, if AF is not a must for you, a SWC with a mighty fine Phase One back will do as well, although net wise more expensive. Than again, what would you consider ultra wide on a MF camera?
The SWC is 38mm on 56x56 format. That is ultra wide to me. To achieve that on 33x33 format requires a 22mm lens.

The available digital backs I could use on the SWC are not 56x56 format.

G