The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D

Godfrey

Well they've shot themselves in the foot with a camera that sold in a week what they hoped for in 6 months...

Here and elsewhere I have seen people say they will ABSOLUTELY not buy this camera because:

No cable release (currently, watch this space)
No focal plane shutter
No face detection
No multi-shot
No ultra wide angle
No zoom (currently)
No ability to use with Capture One
No optical viewfinder
No ability to use on a view camera​

And so on.

I say again, do NOT buy this camera if you need a feature that it doesn't have.
Just don't.

But again, many many many people are buying this camera and that is good for Hasselblad which is good for medium format.
I couldn't agree more with both your points.

I hate all this bombastic 'deal breaker' nonsense too. I buy equipment that exists and does what it does on the basis of thinking that it might pose an advantage to my photography. Whatever faults it might have I either work around or don't affect me. If they do affect me and I can't work around them, well, that means I shouldn't buy the camera. So what? That doesn't stop it from being a great camera for many many others.

With respect to the X1D, I want/need a wider lens than currently available (or known to be shipping soon). Once that becomes available, I am very much all for it ... presuming I can afford it and that I feel the larger format/more megapixels actually is advantageous to my photography. It's okay, I'm patient, I can wait. But outside of that, I applaud Hasselblad for making such an excellent camera overall—even if it isn't exactly the right camera for me, yet.

BTW, on this remote release business, of recent cameras put on the market I feel the Impossible I-1 instant film camera got it just right. The camera shipped simultaneous to an iPhone app that could control it being available as well. The iPhone app connects to the camera via BlueTooth, not WiFi: The camera has a dedicated spot on its one control dial to hand control over to the app and connects instantly. The iPhone app includes both a remote release for auto operation, a remote release with self timer for auto operation, and a full manual control mode where you can set everything and remote release the shutter. Absolutely 100% reliable operation so far, after 25 packs of film using it. The distinction between remote release only and remote will full manual function is fantastic. Its as responsive as wired remotes have been. Perfect. or nearly so.

G

Very true and so far I am with that. For me the problem isn't a missing feature but the old 50MP CMOS...

I know some will know say its pretty current, but honestly it isn't.

I am, however, happy for anyone buying it and I'm happy they are doing well, because I can image the next generation will be exactly what I'm looking for.

80-100Mp
On sensor electronic shutter
By then we have a complete lens range and I don't have to "hope" for a specific lens.
This kind of new technology will materialise for the 35mm format first.

Nick-T

To say if it hasn't got it then don't buy it isn't particularly helpful. Hasselblad does seem to listen to comments on forums - they did after all introduce the type of camera many were hoping for in the form of the X1D!

Hopefully they are listening to these calls from photographers for what is a given standard and that they see sense and actually act on them.
Sorry Keith, I'm not trying to be unhelpful, as I said earlier I *have* asked the product manager about a cable release (even though he is on holiday) and he will come back to me. Oh and I'm a photographer too, just saying.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Very true and so far I am with that. For me the problem isn't a missing feature but the old 50MP CMOS...

I know some will know say its pretty current, but honestly it isn't.

I am, however, happy for anyone buying it and I'm happy they are doing well, because I can image the next generation will be exactly what I'm looking for.

80-100Mp
On sensor electronic shutter
By then we have a complete lens range and I don't have to "hope" for a specific lens.
pretty much how I'm feeling right now.

KeithL

Sorry Keith, I'm not trying to be unhelpful, as I said earlier I *have* asked the product manager about a cable release (even though he is on holiday) and he will come back to me. Oh and I'm a photographer too, just saying.
Nick, apologies, I didn't intend to sound like I was shooting the messenger!

Best

Keith

Last edited:

PeterA

Hasselblad might consider the merits of offering the same camera with 'only' 25 megapixels - add some in built anti-camera shake and true focus at least please. As the system is no threat to 5/6 series 'blad or the Phase One XF body - on a tripod - or the S series from Leica on a tripod. Do we really think we can walk around and snap shot 50 megapixel;;s - really?

Pradeep

Hasselblad might consider the merits of offering the same camera with 'only' 25 megapixels - add some in built anti-camera shake and true focus at least please. As the system is no threat to 5/6 series 'blad or the Phase One XF body - on a tripod - or the S series from Leica on a tripod. Do we really think we can walk around and snap shot 50 megapixel;;s - really?
Agree, it may be difficult but given the right kind of setup certainly possible.

This one with the Pentax 645z and the DFA 55mm lens, hand-held at 1/15 second, random shot of the waiting area of a diner in Austin. No MLU, remote trigger or any other aids. As casual as it gets. Posted it before on another thread.

I have plenty of images with the Sony Rx1R2 (42MPx) shot casually. In fact it is now my main walkabout camera. Has no IBIS unlike the A7R2 but is stable enough for me in most situations.

algrove

I have hundreds of handheld 645Z shots taken at base ISO and up to perhaps ISO800 at 50MP. No issues if you keep your speed up. Of course I kept lens choice at normal to wide lenses.

I found a post on dpreview where some claimed that the EVF on the D1X would not show you the exposure and WB. To me that sounds a bit weird as that is one of the big advantages of an EVF, but I have been unable to find any information on this.

Anyone here knows anything about this?

Miller

I found a post on dpreview where some claimed that the EVF on the D1X would not show you the exposure and WB. To me that sounds a bit weird as that is one of the big advantages of an EVF, but I have been unable to find any information on this.

Last Wednesday I had the chance to play with the X1D.
Don't know about WB info, but exposure info in the EVF can be switched on or off.
The Hasselblad rep mentioned lots of goodies to come. One thing is for sure, Hasselblad breaths photography again.

tjv

It very much seems that more things are to come at Photokina.

Local reps are selling off their demo units of the CFV–50c and HCD 28mm lenses, for example. I wouldn't mind betting we'll see an updated version of the former (with the new interface and hardware), and a proper "full frame" version of the 28mm lens announced.

I thought they'd already said that along with the X1D 30mm lens being released at Photokina, they'd announce one or several others they're working one. Not quite a roadmap, but...

Nick-T

I don't know if it shows the WB or not, but is that something that's important considering it doesn't matter if you set it when shooting or later?

I don't know if it shows the WB or not, but is that something that's important considering it doesn't matter if you set it when shooting or later?
Hi NickT,

You are right, the WB is not important at all, but I do care about exposure and would like a preview of that so I can see the final picture before I take it. I pretty much only use spot metering for my natural light portrait work and not being able to see a preview of the exposure would slow me down quite a lot.

I'm not on the floor crying in rage, I'm simply curious as it is something which would change the way I work. I know people who come in here and talk about one feature deal breakers are not popular, but that is not the case here. I just need more information and I have not been able to find it anywhere.

Last Wednesday I had the chance to play with the X1D.
Don't know about WB info, but exposure info in the EVF can be switched on or off.
The Hasselblad rep mentioned lots of goodies to come. One thing is for sure, Hasselblad breaths photography again.
Thank you Miller.

When you say exposure info do you mean a histogram, or that your exposure settings are actually applied in the view finder, thus giving you a clear idea of what the final picture will look like?

I only have Fuji cameras with EVFs , but I think this is the equivalent of Live View on a DLSR but in the EVF, not the screen.

Miller

Erik,

Misunderstanding on my side, I think. At first, the viewfinder did not show any information regarding light metering, aperture and shutter speed. When I asked the Hasselblad rep, he quickly activated this feature.
I have now read the Dpreview post you referred to and I quote:
"It was also stuck at fixed gain, and the Blad rep said that the EVF would NOT adjust with exposure at this time!!! I drilled down on this point, as the EVF exposure WYSIWYG is one of the key features of CSC".
I did not ask about WYSIWYG in EVF, nor did I see adjustments to the EVF when changing aperture or shutter speed.
Not a feature I am interested in, really. I am old school optical viewfinder all the way. I think the EVF on the X1D works fine, and I could get good results with this setup, nevertheless.

tcdeveau

Received this yesterday regarding my query about previewing the X1D in North Carolina:

This would suggest that production units (and shipping to customers?) will start in September, not in August as I had hoped. Oh well, the wait continues.

Joe
Last I checked B&H said the ship date was Aug. 30th, which puts it barely in August. They're of course not the final word on shipping date and other retailers may get stock earlier/later.

I made it to the preview event with Eric in Atlanta yesterday. I believe he said regarding availability that they should start shipping in a couple weeks, meaning end of August/early September. As he said, the X1D he had with him was a pre-production model and not a production demo. There don't seem to be many pre-production models out in the wild as I think he said he had just gotten his hands on it recently (maybe even as recent as that morning but I don't recall). He said he hoped to have a demo model in his hands in a couple weeks.

I didn't ask specifically, but I also got the impression that they had a lot of preorders. They did not deny the statement "if you haven't ordered already, you may not see a camera this year"...but that's not a confirmation either. One person was asking about availaility because they "had a timeline", but I would certainly not plan a shoot around gear that you don't have in hand let alone plan shoots with the X1D given what we've heard about preorder volume on the forums. Regarding the earthquake, it was confirmed that most manufacturers had stock of the 50mp sensor (so X1D wasn't affected, at least not too much) and the earthquake affected the 100mp more, but things are back on track post-earthquake.

My thoughts regarding the X1D....not a whole lot more to say than has already been said by others. Camera feels great in the hands. It's heavier than expected but not too heavy and felt well balanced with the lenses on. The grip is very comfortable and feels great. For me and my hands, the button placement was well thought out and I loved the simplicity of the buttons (compared to the X-T1 and A7R that I have). The touchscreen interface (basically the same platform as the H6D) is great (the menu design is muuuuch more attractive than the boxy menus of Fuji and Sony) and MILES ahead of the interface and screen on my H4D. The lenses had a good feel to them and a nice weight, and had really smooth focus rings. After shooting side by side with the H6D, it was a shock to shoot the X1D and have no mirror slap/recoil at all. The shutter noise of the X1D/XCD lenses was different than the H/HC lenses, but the sound did not bother me as it has others.

The camera at the preview was definitely a preproduction model with preproduction firmware (ie there were bugs), so I'm not sure I can really make any useful insights regarding the EVF and other functionality at this point because many of my observations may be rendered moot once production firmware (and the first couple of updates) lands. The camera body, as others have mentioned, got very warm...but the rep said that this would be remedied with the production firmware. Touch AF wasn't enabled yet, but you could tap an area on the screen, it would magnify, and then you could focus manual and fire. Even that would be a huge feature for the tripod shooting I do. It magnified too much for my taste (maybe ~400%?), so hopefully different magnification levels can be set to ones taste.

The rep said a request for wired shutter release (remote) has been passed up the chain but he had no information about it. Also said he had no information about T/S lenses or a lens roadmap in general aside from the 30mm which was already announced, sort of. He did say that they are hoping to get a tripod mount on the H=>X adaptor to help deal with the weight of some of the H lenses (and the HTS adaptor), which would make me feel more comfortable about using the adaptor and not stressing lens mounts.

As I've said before, it's a camera system with a lot of potential, and I'm excited to try it again once production models land and see how the system develops.