The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D

bab

Could someone explain to me how you announce a product in April, send out crippled demo's for testing and get known top photographers make some videos touting the great ease of use of the camera and features knowing its not really fully functional. Is that how marketing 101 goes with camera companies? Then give a ship date, do introduction by appointment test drive tours with a camera that freezes up, with not fully functional pre-production firmware then say we have hired 15 programmers to expedite firmware releases. After all that miss the ship date, miss the firmware date, give promises of features to be added to firmware that should be there in the first place especially on the H6D. I would think the cameras H6D and X1D have been in the making for at least a year. And to top it all off have reps in the field trying to sell cameras and glass not able to give specific answers as to the dates of product availability or feature requests.

Unless those comments that I have been reading from all of you that are fairy tails. All the glory and gusto of the X1D Hasselblad had with its announcement before Photokina is all but lost as time has run out. Its anybody's guess what else will be announced from the competitive group of manufacturers at Photokina.

I would say someone at Hasselblad needs to get up off his chair and on the dance floor and make some clear official company statements as to the shipment dates and firmware releases. I realize no dealers have invested monies in stock and most buyers didn't put up any cash so this whole party is funded by Hasselblad. Its a shame, not a game changer all Hasselblad would have to do is make an apology and clean up some code that would also be great marketing for them.
And why should we have to interpret ship dates from B&H can't our local dealers be trusted with the ship date.

BANKER1

Wow, have you always been a glass half full person. I attended a demo and loved what I saw. Waiting nine months for my H4D60 was a lot more painful than the short wait we have for this GROUND BREAKING camera. Now, I will be on your side if Hasselblad does not deliver on all its promises, but the wait for my camera just told me Hasselblad is not going to ship a half baked system. The heat Hasselblad faced from the ill-conceived Lunar may have made them very aware of the wrath they would face if they ship an incomplete product.

Greg

bab

Wow, have you always been a glass half full person. I attended a demo and loved what I saw. Waiting nine months for my H4D60 was a lot more painful than the short wait we have for this GROUND BREAKING camera. Now, I will be on your side if Hasselblad does not deliver on all its promises, but the wait for my camera just told me Hasselblad is not going to ship a half baked system. The heat Hasselblad faced from the ill-conceived Lunar may have made them very aware of the wrath they would face if they ship an incomplete product.

Greg
I can only hope your right but it doesn't excuse them from not clearly issuing a statement to their customers or at least their dealers as to answering if even vaguely a reason for delays of delivery. I've been awaiting a few firmware updates for my H5D-50 for two years and have yet to see them. I must admit I get great fast response every time I have inquired as to the progress of the wanted requests but they never make it to the firmware updates they are on the to-do-list. I have the H6D-100c on order promised the 50 first, then the ability to acquire a 100. BUT the camera must fit my desired work flow and just because it has a 100 MP sensor doesn't mean I'm willing to go through another 20K loss you know the drill buying the camera and trading it in for the upgrade. Been there done that.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Personally I'm with BAB. Hasselblad do have a reputation over the last few years of announcing early and then being extremely slow to deliver. (Not that they are alone in this respect).

This is part of the reason why I haven't pre-ordered and tied up the funds for months and months. It's a classic bait and defer approach where folks will hold back from perhaps other purchases in their desire to pick up what looks to be a great camera system ... Eventually.

Been there, done that. Now I'm old enough to not feel like I need to be the first off the block with the very latest gear. :thumbup: (Mostly :eek: )

MILESF

Personally I'm with BAB. Hasselblad do have a reputation over the last few years of announcing early and then being extremely slow to deliver. (Not that they are alone in this respect).

This is part of the reason why I haven't pre-ordered and tied up the funds for months and months. It's a classic bait and defer approach where folks will hold back from perhaps other purchases in their desire to pick up what looks to be a great camera system ... Eventually.

Been there, done that. Now I'm old enough to not feel like I need to be the first off the block with the very latest gear. :thumbup: (Mostly :eek: )
Then there's something called Photokina just around the corner.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
No Kidding. Phase is notorious for “shipping” when announced, even though they know they don’t have anywhere near enough inventory nor production capabilities to really deliver the goods. You can order your new back within a couple of days of being announced, and even though it is “shipping”, that might mean you only have to wait 3 months.

PeterA

TBH - I've gone from 100% buyer and order in ( still is) to hmmm no exposure in EVF, delays now till September - which meanss dealers get a demo copy to show....thsi now becomes a Christmas and New Year sometime maybe by March/April...situation...

As someone said Photokina is coming and Hasselblad have shipped nothing - business stuff up 101. Now I am thinking this announcement months ago- was to get in ahead of other stuff that is coming...we will see.

Meanwhile Petey is having a blast with his new SL system...Hasselblad's EVF experience better be as good as what Leica have just smacked on the table with the SL - because if it isn't ...fogedaboudit.
never thought Id say thsi but I am now a fully fledged convert to EVF - bring it on MF manufacturers - give me an MF optical experience in your upcoming EV models - or syonara baby.

jerome_m

Meanwhile Petey is having a blast with his new SL system...
...which was announced a year ago and did not deliver in large numbers for months.

Hasselblad's EVF experience better be as good as what Leica have just smacked on the table with the SL - because if it isn't ...fogedaboudit.
I had the occasion to test both cameras, the SL EVF is noticeably better. The X1D is similar to what Sony offers on their cameras.

TBH - I've gone from 100% buyer and order in ( still is) to hmmm no exposure in EVF, delays now till September - which meanss dealers get a demo copy to show....thsi now becomes a Christmas and New Year sometime maybe by March/April...situation...

As someone said Photokina is coming and Hasselblad have shipped nothing - business stuff up 101. Now I am thinking this announcement months ago- was to get in ahead of other stuff that is coming...we will see.

Meanwhile Petey is having a blast with his new SL system...Hasselblad's EVF experience better be as good as what Leica have just smacked on the table with the SL - because if it isn't ...fogedaboudit.
never thought Id say thsi but I am now a fully fledged convert to EVF - bring it on MF manufacturers - give me an MF optical experience in your upcoming EV models - or syonara baby.
I reached out to Hasselblad and they assured me exposure preview in the EVF was planned for a future firmware release.

Jager

Wow, tough crowd.

Probably should point out that the X1D was announced in late June, not in April. And so, okay, first production units are now supposed to ship in mid-September rather than in late August.

What would you have Hasselblad do? Ship the camera before getting it to a minimal acceptable performance spec? Not announce until they've manufactured a warehouse full of 'em? Build a factory and hire the staff necessary to meet initial, surge demand?

Seems to me that pretty much any product worth having is hard to get at first. Even products from a manufacturing juggernaut like Apple. Does anyone think that the good folks at Hasselblad and Phase One and Leica and Nikon and all the rest aren't doing their very best to get their products to us, as soon a they possibly can?

In the meantime, I dunno, maybe we could go make some pictures with that old gear we already have...

Satrycon

its usually better to delay release a while to iron out problems, rather than releasing a for example: leica T that was crap with firmware 1..and finally became way better and usable 1 year later with FW 1.5+

Wow, tough crowd.

Probably should point out that the X1D was announced in late June, not in April. And so, okay, first production units are now supposed to ship in mid-September rather than in late August.

What would you have Hasselblad do? Ship the camera before getting it to a minimal acceptable performance spec? Not announce until they've manufactured a warehouse full of 'em? Build a factory and hire the staff necessary to meet initial, surge demand?

Seems to me that pretty much any product worth having is hard to get at first. Even products from a manufacturing juggernaut like Apple. Does anyone think that the good folks at Hasselblad and Phase One and Leica and Nikon and all the rest aren't doing their very best to get their products to us, as soon a they possibly can?

In the meantime, I dunno, maybe we could go make some pictures with that old gear we already have...

bab

Wow, tough crowd.

Kickstarter is for funding the development of a product, I would rather see companies raise money for development and then release the product finished. Rather than me buy a product and wait for yearly firmware updates to make the product fully capable. By the time the firmware update is released if it is these companies are announcing new products making the ones you bought last year obsolete. Jeff buying the X1D with two lenses is a small investment and a no brainer, buying a 100 MP system that's not fully functional from P1, H or L is another story. These companies need to listen to their users and give them the features that they need when the features are reasonable on the higher end products they are offering. Firmware updates are a joke, it's marketing BS, firmware updates fixing bugs are important but firmware updates that are promises from past experience rarely are delivered. So...I stand in the crowd that's wants the equipment with features that improve my workflow, make my backbreaking job easier and give me the ability to create without hindering my performance when I know the features exist and it's just a matter of code.
Personally if I was asking for a laser guided sensor controlled by my right eye that framed, auto focused, auto exposed and zoomed via Bluetooth to a system that I didn't have to carry and produce 500 MB files, that could shoot perfect noise free images then I would agree with you.
It's nice to discuss this though maybe the other side is listening.

jerome_m

By the time the firmware update is released if it is these companies are announcing new products making the ones you bought last year obsolete.
That is the fault in your reasoning. These products are not obsolete. I am still using an "obsolete" H4D-50. I am very pleased with it. For my kind of photography, its results are just as good as the ones from the X1D.

Godfrey

Product announcements are driven by marketing needs.

I'm in no hurry. I'll buy if and when Hasselblad delivers the product that I want, at the quality spec I expect, and when I can afford it. I'd much rather Hasselblad takes whatever time is necessary to deliver the X1D at the quality level and with the finish quality their announcement suggested.

G

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Product announcements are driven by marketing needs.

I'm in no hurry. I'll buy if and when Hasselblad delivers the product that I want, at the quality spec I expect, and when I can afford it.

G
Already decided to pass on this one, but I think I might be tempted with the “X2D” if the specs are right and the glass line up has a few more options ..

bab

That is the fault in your reasoning. These products are not obsolete. I am still using an "obsolete" H4D-50. I am very pleased with it. For my kind of photography, its results are just as good as the ones from the X1D.
Really?