The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D

Godfrey

Already decided to pass on this one, but I think I might be tempted with the “X2D” if the specs are right and the glass line up has a few more options ..
Eh? I just want one lens .. 22mm please. :) That would make it worth it to me.

G

jerome_m

That is the fault in your reasoning. These products are not obsolete. I am still using an "obsolete" H4D-50. I am very pleased with it. For my kind of photography, its results are just as good as the ones from the X1D.
Really?
Yes, of course. The two cameras have exactly the same resolution, HC glass is at least as good as the new glass for the X1D (meaning: either one is close to perfect) and I don't need lots of dynamic range or higher speed than iso50.

Sure I am tempted by a newer, smaller camera, but that does not make my old camera obsolete...

fotografz

Wow!

This thread has revealed some surprising thoughts and ideas.

I suppose Hasselblad could have waited to announce this camera system until it was immediately available. However, if we consider the self inflicted beating they took over the Lunar, I'm sure they wanted to show they were back with fresh ideas and a modern direction to meet contemporary desires.

The impatience of some potential users certainly does indicate that photography is squarely in the computer mind-set, with what's next NOW being more important than what is in hand.

Phase, Hasselblad and Leica with the S system have all been slow to market with their systems at one time or another. How long did it take for the new Phase body? Leica launched the S2 with any lens you wanted as long as it was a 70 or 180mm, then took forever to get the CS lenses to market. At least they aren't like Sony with the flawed A7R which was denied, and has taken a long time to bring lenses to market able to make some use of the high meg count.

The big surprise for me is Peter A so taken with EVF. My buddy Irakly has a SL and I was disappointed in the VF (maybe due to heightened expectations) ... but since Pete loves it, I'm going to ask to try it again.

I do wish I were in a position to indulge in this new kit ...

= Marc

PeterA

If I'm going to pay the bucks and cop the switch out of what I already shoot factor - the very least I would expect to see is viewfinder excellence eg the viewing experience I get with my existing Leica S for example the Hasselblad H system or the Phase One XF - as for shipping dates - they will be what they will be - my view as a potential buyer doesn't see the shipping date announcement as a positive, nor am I bound by my previous view which saw me already pay a large deposit. I'm no rush now...

PeterA

Wow!

This thread has revealed some surprising thoughts and ideas.

I suppose Hasselblad could have waited to announce this camera system until it was immediately available. However, if we consider the self inflicted beating they took over the Lunar, I'm sure they wanted to show they were back with fresh ideas and a modern direction to meet contemporary desires.

The impatience of some potential users certainly does indicate that photography is squarely in the computer mind-set, with what's next NOW being more important than what is in hand.

Phase, Hasselblad and Leica with the S system have all been slow to market with their systems at one time or another. How long did it take for the new Phase body? Leica launched the S2 with any lens you wanted as long as it was a 70 or 180mm, then took forever to get the CS lenses to market. At least they aren't like Sony with the flawed A7R which was denied, and has taken a long time to bring lenses to market able to make some use of the high meg count.

The big surprise for me is Peter A so taken with EVF. My buddy Irakly has a SL and I was disappointed in the VF (maybe due to heightened expectations) ... but since Pete loves it, I'm going to ask to try it again.

I do wish I were in a position to indulge in this new kit ...

= Marc
Marc - you know how it is - if something comes out which is really good - we immediately wish for even more..

The Sl; has set the benchmark ( for now) regarding the combination of dimension/magnification/clarity so it makes it possible for me to use the camera settings/histogram/live what the chips sees view - easily. It is the first camera I have used that has made me change my shooting and compositional style - it is a lot of fun just for that alone- one final thing- the Nocti+SL combination is a marriage made in heaven.

Having said that Sony for example delivers buckets and buckets loads of functionality and even is superior in some important aspects - but the viewfinder is too dim for me. I cant really get into ti with this camera - not the camera's fault obviously.

Maybe magification factor being larger than 35mm might make up for lower resolution - it w
It will be in the eye of the beholder to judge for themselves.

Maybe we can swap notes on the SL Marc on PM if you like.

-Pete

V

Vivek

The Fuji cam is rumored to be announced soon with two primes and a zoom.

If that comes with a focal plane shutter it would makes things difficult for X1D.

JeRuFo

Well, since the X1D doesn't exist yet technically either (there is not one aspect that Hasselblad employees, Masters or reviewers could comment on for sure, since it was still pre-production) it would be silly to make a big decision like that in the weeks before Photokina. It sure looks like a very appealing package, but if a very similar camera came out soon with a shutter built in, I would definetely wait a little. Plus, if Sony for instance does announce an MF camera, you might be able to get your hands on that sooner than an X1D, usually they announce cameras quite late and who knows how big the first batch of X1Ds is, Sony or Fuji is probably able to produce cameras quicker than Hasselblad, which is a relatively small company that probably can only hire more people if the camera is a success.

CSP

The Fuji cam is rumored to be announced soon with two primes and a zoom.

If that comes with a focal plane shutter it would makes things difficult for X1D.
...and as a fuji it will probably have a working firmware not like the hand made in sweden camera assembled from asian components.

BANKER1

Well, since the X1D doesn't exist yet technically either (there is not one aspect that Hasselblad employees, Masters or reviewers could comment on for sure, since it was still pre-production) it would be silly to make a big decision like that in the weeks before Photokina. It sure looks like a very appealing package, but if a very similar camera came out soon with a shutter built in, I would definetely wait a little. Plus, if Sony for instance does announce an MF camera, you might be able to get your hands on that sooner than an X1D, usually they announce cameras quite late and who knows how big the first batch of X1Ds is, Sony or Fuji is probably able to produce cameras quicker than Hasselblad, which is a relatively small company that probably can only hire more people if the camera is a success.
The one I held in my hand existed and was quite impressive! But, as a prudent man, I am waiting until after Photokina and until the final firmware exists, before pulling the trigger. And, the prank Sony isn't ever vaporware.

Greg

CSP

Sony or Fuji is probably able to produce cameras quicker than Hasselblad, which is a relatively small company that probably can only hire more people if the camera is a success.
yes but one would think that when you have to do almost no engineering on the hardware side you hire enough developers to get the firmware ready when you announce your camera.

JeRuFo

I have no doubt that the X1D will be impressive. But since you can't actually buy it yet, it is no wonder that people start comparing it to rumoured cameras, that may well be announced soon and perhaps have more features or better lens options.

I hope everything will work out well for Hasselblad, because it probably could kill them if it doesn't. But this delay may prove pretty costly. If they really could have started shipping late august as they said, I think most people that pre-ordered would have bought too. But if shipping only starts around or after Photokina, quite a few people might cancel their orders.

Godfrey

I have no doubt that the X1D will be impressive. But since you can't actually buy it yet, it is no wonder that people start comparing it to rumoured cameras, that may well be announced soon and perhaps have more features or better lens options.

I hope everything will work out well for Hasselblad, because it probably could kill them if it doesn't. But this delay may prove pretty costly. If they really could have started shipping late august as they said, I think most people that pre-ordered would have bought too. But if shipping only starts around or after Photokina, quite a few people might cancel their orders.
I'm not sure why everyone is so worried about Hasselblad. It seems to me that the people who will jump from system to system based on what the latest and greatest new announcement might be don't constitute much of a user base, no matter how much gear you sell them. They might be your customer today and be gone tomorrow anyway.

Produce the best equipment you can, at the performance that you announce and that people expect, and develop it thoroughly over time. That's what I want from a manufacturer. I don't always need bleeding edge feature stuff; I mostly use about 30% of my cameras' features anyway. I want consistency, quality, reliability, and good performance in the things that are significant to me.

The equipment I buy now is all long-term purchase intent, for however long I manage to last. Give me a solid piece of hardware and develop it over time with lenses, firmware updates, and good service ... I'll be your customer for a long long time.

G

CSP

i thought the x1d will be the camera to revitalize my hc lenses but now 3 month after the announcement it seems the HC adapter does also not exist. i have more and more doubts that the x1d will be a camera which is usable in a pro environment in the foreseeable future.

i thought the x1d will be the camera to revitalize my hc lenses but now 3 month after the announcement it seems the HC adapter does also not exist. i have more and more doubts that the x1d will be a camera which is usable in a pro environment in the foreseeable future.
2 months.

Relax man. The X1D will come. There is conspiracy. There are no aliens mind-controlling anyone. Just a two week delay.

JeRuFo

No, it's not anything abnormal. But it is kind of sad that it isn't. My view is that if you cater to professionals you should communicate clearly what is going on. Missing a deadline can happen, but it is not right that people still don't know if they will get their unit in two weeks or not and that all information has to come from a dealer who doesn't really know for sure either.

pflower

No, it's not anything abnormal. But it is kind of sad that it isn't. My view is that if you cater to professionals you should communicate clearly what is going on. Missing a deadline can happen, but it is not right that people still don't know if they will get their unit in two weeks or not and that all information has to come from a dealer who doesn't really know for sure either.
Two weeks isn't much. However I suspect it might be a bit longer. I was booked in for a demo next tuesday in London and just got an email from Hasselblad saying that the demo would be with a pre-production camera and not with the finished product which was originally anticipated. So at least for next tuesday Hasselblad doesn't have a fully finished camera to show.

Godfrey

:lecture: What all these delays, etc, really point out, given that it is endemic to all the medium format camera brands, is how difficult it is to develop these machines and meet all the expectations construed by the high prices and assumed performance to be gained therefrom.

I would not want to be a camera manufacturer at all in today's marketplace. Between the insistent "now now now, more, better, now, and cheaper!" demands, the often conflicting (and complex!) needs and desires, the distraction of everyone wanting to know every detail of your business at every moment—and then criticizing it constantly, combined with the intense difficulties posed by the development and manufacturing process and limited profitability... Whew, who wants all that stress and anxiety?

Given the collapsing profitability of the camera manufacturing business in the past several years, I think we should all be appreciative that these manufacturers have hung in there at all. And encourage them to do diligence, make the products excel as the announcements suggest, so that the cameras really are worth the the time to develop and the price they have to charge for them.

A little time and patience is in order. Nobody is dying because their X1D won't be delivered tomorrow. :grin:

G