The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

My impression is that the release of the camera has been premature, in the sense that the full feature set is not available yet. Like there is only one AF point. Why? There has never been a CDAF camera with one AF-point, as far as I know. I could see a reason to announce early, if they wanted to steal the limelight from someone else, like Fujifilm, but not competitor to the the X1D has materialised yet.

So, a lot of folks have preordered the X1D, exact specifications unknown.

Something I don't like with the X1D is that it says "hand made in Sweden", what is hand made? It is assembled from Japanese components like any other camera. It may be that the body is tooled from a single piece of aluminium, but that is probably done using an NC milling machine.

Anyway, I feel it is a nice camera and a brave step into mirrorless by Hasselblad.

Best regards
Erik

I think they are still finalizing the hardware. At the preview I attended a month ago, I asked about stress on the lens mounts that could be caused with the use of heavier H lenses (such as the 35-90mm, 50-110mm, HTS/H combos, etc). The Hasselblad rep said that they are hoping to build in a tripod mount to the XH adapter, which current prototypes do not have, at least judging from the few pictures I have seen. This would help take stress of the lens mounts when using heavier H lenses such as the 35-90mm HCD or other lens combos with the HTS 1.5 adapter.

Jan

Oh I should cancel my order then...

Why do you say there is no HC adaptor? The one I saw was working according to the product manager. I'll email and tell him he's wrong.

I can also tell him to cancel the question that was put to R&D about a wired cable release if you like.
Some sarcasm here, lol. Since you are close to the fire, would you have any news on the announcement 30mm lens?

Nick-T

Something I don't like with the X1D is that it says "hand made in Sweden", what is hand made? It is assembled from Japanese components like any other camera. It may be that the body is tooled from a single piece of aluminium, but that is probably done using an NC milling machine.

Best regards
Erik
Well they actually are hand-built, however I have talked to the product manager and they are going to change "Hand made in Sweden" to:

"Hand made in Sweden but using some electronics from Japan and a CNC machine made in Germany, also Sven's mother is Danish (he does firmware on a Chinese built computer)"

There will be a delay while they design a wide body camera so they can fit all the type on.

sog1927

Well they actually are hand-built, however I have talked to the product manager and they are going to change "Hand made in Sweden" to:

"Hand made in Sweden but using some electronics from Japan and a CNC machine made in Germany, also Sven's mother is Danish (he does firmware on a Chinese built computer)"

There will be a delay while they design a wide body camera so they can fit all the type on.
On the bright side, they'll have room for a 56x56 sensor :rolleyes:

hcubell

Thank God. What's more important than addressing the concerns of someone who was never a potential buyer of an X1D from the beginning.

Boinger

Why are people complaining so much in this thread. Honestly I don't understand. This is literally the only camera of its kind out there. I for one am very excited. I love the way MF renders. I could care less if it was 12mp I would still buy it.

And if it doesn't have features that you want or suit you then there are other choices out there. Certainly this is not the only camera ever created and all other cameras instantly were destroyed.

We live in a time where there a plethora of choices, if you don't like pepsi buy coke.

If you coke comes out with vanilla coke before you get vanilla pepsi you can either buy it or not. That's just the way things work.

CSP

when a company has developed nothing essential for a camera but totally depends on the work of others
marketing BS becomes very important. but maybe i´m wrong and there is a secret lab with hundreds of engineers working
behind the unremarkable warehouse in göteborg ?

ErikKaffehr

Hi Nick,

Most cameras are hand built, I am pretty sure. I am also pretty sure that the X1D does contain a couple of printed circuit boards, the sensor, the viewfinder and the bayonet the whole is held together by a few dozen screws. Add the LCD on the back and a few side panels and panel doors. Not a lot of assembly and not a lot of adjustments.

The lenses on the other hand are probably much complex designs.

I really appreciate all your good postings, but I think you are wasting your energy on commenting on a single statement taken out of context. I am mostly appreciative of that camera, just to say. One of the reasons for that is that I feel it is a bold step moving into the right direction and setting apart Hasselblad from the competition.

Best regards
Erik

Last edited:

ErikKaffehr

Yes,

You are right, I am out of medium format. Still have a 555/ELD and 5-6 lenses and a P45+, but I will not buy more into MFD. That said I find the X1D an interesting camera. But that gravure reminds me of those blinged up Sonys Hasselblad used to sell.

I am more interested in buying gear that meets my needs than buying into lifestyle stuff.

Best regards
Erik

Thank God. What's more important than addressing the concerns of someone who was never a potential buyer of an X1D from the beginning.

Last edited:

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

I got the impression that development was strongly refocused under the new management. Contrary to the H-series, the X1D is mostly an electronic device. Most controls are on the touch screen interface. The software effort was significant for sure! I think it was mentioned that they added 15 new software designers on the team. Most of the firmware is shared between the H6 and the X1D, what I heard.

It is the nature of things that modern CMOS sensors are less demanding on hardware design than CCDs. The reason is that the CMOS (*) sensor delivers a digital/binary image, while the CCD systems had complex electronics to read out the CCD sensor and do analogue digital conversion.

The lenses are probably quite complex designs, modern lenses used to be complex.

An interesting question is if a camera is seen as tool or a lifestyle thing. The old V-system was built as a tool. It was also pretty much hand made. My best friend worked at the factory and before he left he has built his own 500/EL (of some kind). My 555/ELD doesn't say anything about "hand made in Sweden", though. It doesn't even say "Made in Sweden", it just says "Hasselblad Sweden".

After that Hasselblad had the funny and bright idea to bling up Sonys with hand made grips, they gave up on that, thanks god.

The design of the X1D is really smart. It is about the right size and it can even hold a good size battery and it has a real hand grip. The front look is reminiscent of the V-series.

Best regards
Erik

(*) Well, it's actually Sony CMOS… Modern CMOS the ADC on the chip and uses massively parallel analogue digital conversion. The Sony design puts an ADC on each column. Using that technology the ADC can be a ramp type (Wilkinson ADC) instead of a flash type ADC. Effectively, a Sony sensor may have 6000-1200 (or so) ADCs, that are sharing the work of handling all the pixels. Most newer CMOS designs are like Sony. It seems that latest generation Canon DSLRs also use on chip column wise conversion.

when a company has developed nothing essential for a camera but totally depends on the work of others
marketing BS becomes very important. but maybe i´m wrong and there is a secret lab with hundreds of engineers working

Last edited:

Godfrey

That statement highlights your ignorance and attitude.
If you think that's all there is to it, go do a better job yourself and stop barking BS on this thread.

G

hcubell

Hi,

An interesting question is if a camera is seen as tool or a lifestyle thing. The old V-system was built as a tool. It was also pretty much hand made. My best friend worked at the factory and before he left he has built his own 500/EL (of some kind). My 555/ELD doesn't say anything about "hand made in Sweden", though. It doesn't even say "Made in Sweden", it just says "Hasselblad Sweden".

After that Hasselblad had the funny and bright idea to bling up Sonys with hand made grips, they gave up on that, thanks god.

Best regards
Erik]

You are questioning whether the X1D is properly viewed as a "tool" or a "lifestyle affectation"? What an obnoxious and demeaning question. I can't be sure about who all of the buyers of the X1D will turn out to be, but I am sure that the people who participate in this forum and are interested in the X1D are damn serious photographers who see the X1D as a potentially wonderful "tool" that they can use to make wonderful photographs that move them and perhaps others. It is the first mirrorless medium format digital camera; the body will be a pleasure to hike with and use compared to a Phase XF or a Hasselblad H6, and the lenses will not be the size of torpedoes; the menu system and ergonomics will likely be a joy compared to the Japanese cameras that are horrible. Perhaps these capabilities are irrelevant you, but that's you.
It is clear that you wish the X1D could be easily dismissed out of hand as an extension of the Stellar/Lunar fiasco, but you can't and it seems to drive you crazy. Get over it. Stick to the science experiments.

jerome_m

You are questioning whether the X1D is properly viewed as a "tool" or a "lifestyle affectation"? What an obnoxious and demeaning question. I can't be sure about who all of the buyers of the X1D will turn out to be, but I am sure that the people who participate in this forum and are interested in the X1D are damn serious photographers who see the X1D as a potentially wonderful "tool" that they can use to make wonderful photographs that move them and perhaps others. It is the first mirrorless medium format digital camera; the body will be a pleasure to hike with and use compared to a Phase XF or a Hasselblad H6, and the lenses will not be the size of torpedoes; the menu system and ergonomics will likely be a joy compared to the Japanese cameras that are horrible. Perhaps these capabilities are irrelevant you, but that's you.
It is clear that you wish the X1D could be easily dismissed out of hand as an extension of the Stellar/Lunar fiasco, but you can't and it seems to drive you crazy. Get over it. Stick to the science experiments.
Oh, please: the X1D is certainly a quite interesting camera and will be used by serious photographers if that is the tool they need, but Perry Oosting made no secret that they also expect to sell it to the "luxury/fashion" market. And that is why it says "Handmade in Sweden".

CSP

That statement highlights your ignorance and attitude.
If you think that's all there is to it, go do a better job yourself and stop barking BS on this thread.

G
sure i have an attitude and i´m sarcastic if you don´t like my opinion just don´t read my posts and enjoy your sheep life WOOF, WOOF !

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
You are questioning whether the X1D is properly viewed as a "tool" or a "lifestyle affectation"? What an obnoxious and demeaning question. I can't be sure about who all of the buyers of the X1D will turn out to be, but I am sure that the people who participate in this forum and are interested in the X1D are damn serious photographers who see the X1D as a potentially wonderful "tool" that they can use to make wonderful photographs that move them and perhaps others. It is the first mirrorless medium format digital camera; the body will be a pleasure to hike with and use compared to a Phase XF or a Hasselblad H6.
I am getting the feeling of an older FM or Lula thread ... Or the expert DP Review repartee... And hoping the moderators will just suspend all this angst and whining
until we have a camera in production and in hand.

To be blunt ... Yes that's me ...
Hasselblad promised nothing but we all raised our expectations to very high levels ... so they must be the root of our dissatisfaction. Reality check ... They are in essence digging out of an existential hole and for most of us the vision is compelling.

I am driving around Isle of Skye the Western Hebrides and soon the Highlands ...
All with a Leica Q which is performing brilliantly ... But I regret not having the X1D. Dropped all the Leica S stuff and am attempting to look forward.

Reading the thread reminds me of all the experts discuss the shuttle re-entry breakup ... 24/7 coverage that amounted to nothing.

Go take some pictures and check back when there is something worth your and my time.

Nuff said ... Looking forward to scallops, a Vouray and another single malt.

Bob