The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

I don't think demand for LS is very high, else everyone would have options. it seems that is a MF thing that most photographer can do without. I don't doubt the benefits are real.

On the other hand, I haver never seen an MFD shooter in real life, I know they exist but they are rare.

Best regards
Erik

rickgrainger wrote--->>> "I was frankly shocked and disappointed that Fuji chose to forgo
leaf shutter options in the lens line up."<<<

I wonder if thats a future option for them if they feel the need (substatial requests) and market for them arises?

Dave (D&A)

tashley

Subscriber Member
I wonder why Ming Thein'a review hasn't appeared yet. I sort of supposed it would be published when the camera shipped...

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I keep looking but I assume that he will not rush this .... however a few more pictures would hold us over.

Bob

CSP

[QUOTE
* It is amusing that a 4116 edition X1D-50c is announced ... when the plain, original model would be a "special edition" at this point in time. A special edition when we don't even have the normal edition?
[/QUOTE]

it makes sense when you are i the luxury camera business and i would not be surprised to read the announcement of a burberry or louis vuitton edition before the camera actually ships to customers....

docmoore

The black looks good but essentially you are paying for an additional 1 year warranty ... total of three over the price of the X1D-50C and 45 lens which carries a two year warranty.

I personally would do it ... probably will if the delivery time is not very delayed from the silver.

Bob

docmoore

Anyone used to MF and strobes will not consider a camera that does not have at least a couple of LS lenses.

I used to shoot my H3D - 39 II with mirror up relying on the LS at ridiculously slow shutter speeds in marginal light and got sharp sharp
images .... could not do that with the Leica S2-P S006 as the FP shutter is always active.

Hasselblad H3D 50-110 HC @ 90 0.7sec exposure

Usually use a monopod but FP shutter does not work at those speeds unless on tripod.

One of the attractions for me is the LS.

Bob

docmoore

The Facebook post from Hasselblad that mentioned shipping now showed 6 cameras ... hope they had more on the way.

The way folks keep irritating Nick he may not rush to post here ....

Just saying.

Bob

hcubell

[QUOTE
* It is amusing that a 4116 edition X1D-50c is announced ... when the plain, original model would be a "special edition" at this point in time. A special edition when we don't even have the normal edition?
it makes sense when you are i the luxury camera business and i would not be surprised to read the announcement of a burberry or louis vuitton edition before the camera actually ships to customers....[/QUOTE]

You and the science experiment/internet information regurgitator guy need to get over it. That's yesterday's news. Try to add something useful to the discussion. There are many photographers who are intrigued by the X1D as a serious tool to make photographs.

tcdeveau

And I'm wondering why we don't have any hands-on reports from the Photokina floor. Someone visiting the booth must have held and briefly used a production demo camera. I'd guess that Ming has (or had) one to review and we'll see his report soon. "Nick-T" (Nick Tresidder) may also be on the early-adopter list.

Joe
Hmmm interesting point. I'd also think they'd have a demo model on the floor at Photokina.

I put in my order yesterday for the body and 45mm...hopefully my wait isn't too long. I thought about waiting and ordering the 4116 version (the black and extra warranty are nice) but decided to go for the grey and the $$ savings. The grey does look nice, it's darker in person than it appears.
-Todd

Jager

One of the X1D reports yesterday suggested that the first shipment of production cameras was going to dealers and reps as demo's; and to ambassadors. So Ming probably hasn't yet received his.

And if the communique from Sweden is to be taken literally - they are only just shipping out - then even the demo model(s) at Photokina are probably still the pre-prod units.

The good news is that we should be hearing reports of what the final camera is like very soon.

Greenaa

As far as I know, Ming returned his demo camera a while ago as they needed to make hardware changes and has not used one since.

I will be at Photokina and Hasselblad tomorrow and I've been told they have units with production firmware and users can shoot on their own SD cards and take the images with them.

I will let you know my thoughts on the camera's operation as opposed to the version with the early and almost unusable firmware I tried on the demo unit two weeks ago in London.

Best Regards,

ACG
www.acuitycolorgrain.com

One of the X1D reports yesterday suggested that the first shipment of production cameras was going to dealers and reps as demo's; and to ambassadors. So Ming probably hasn't yet received his.

And if the communique from Sweden is to be taken literally - they are only just shipping out - then even the demo model(s) at Photokina are probably still the pre-prod units.

The good news is that we should be hearing reports of what the final camera is like very soon.

Greenaa

I agree - and think Hasselblad has a more interesting and appropriate take on medium format mirrorless than Fuji - more portable.

While I understand Fuji's desire to build out a whole system - more as a Phase One or H series replacement - I'm surprised they didn't start out with a medium format X100 style camera - now that would have been interesting and a much more competitive sell against the Hasselblad (and a more unique offering in the market).

The blogosphere has been talking about Hasselblad X1D pre-orders getting cancelled since the Fuji announcement but I just don't see it. What I think the Fuji largely kills is the Pentax 645 (and challenges P1 and Hasselblad H), not Hasselblad mirrorless.

Best Regards,

ACG

My biggest impression from the video is how "friendly" the size is.
- - - Updated - - -

Just to be clear, what I was agreeing to was the "small size" comment above, not the "joke" comment. I responded to the wrong post!

Best Regards,

ACG

I agree - and think Hasselblad has a more interesting and appropriate take on medium format mirrorless than Fuji - more portable.

While I understand Fuji's desire to build out a whole system - more as a Phase One or H series replacement - I'm surprised they didn't start out with a medium format X100 style camera - now that would have been interesting and a much more competitive sell against the Hasselblad (and a more unique offering in the market).

The blogosphere has been talking about Hasselblad X1D pre-orders getting cancelled since the Fuji announcement but I just don't see it. What I think the Fuji largely kills is the Pentax 645 (and challenges P1 and Hasselblad H), not Hasselblad mirrorless.

Best Regards,

ACG

Christopher

Just a small update. I now have seen it twice at a demo and yesterday at photokina. Certainly a lot of good steps forward. My problem is the evf. It's a current deal breaker. Probably not for many others as it really is a nice camera and feels great in your hands. However, for me it just not the thing to look trough a evf in that quality. I know even the SL one can't compete with a real MF OVF.

What I mich prefer on the SL is not only resolution, far more the fast refresh rate. And here I don't see any wonders happening with the X1 it's just a fact it's harder to read out 50Mp at high speed compared to 24...

All in all a great camera and if I could use my LS Phase lenses I would probably buy it. Let's see what happens.

tjv

Can you elaborate of focus speed, accuracy etc? Also, did you look through the Fuji EVF, or are they essentially under lock and key? Is so, what was it like?

Just a small update. I now have seen it twice at a demo and yesterday at photokina. Certainly a lot of good steps forward. My problem is the evf. It's a current deal breaker. Probably not for many others as it really is a nice camera and feels great in your hands. However, for me it just not the thing to look trough a evf in that quality. I know even the SL one can't compete with a real MF OVF.

What I mich prefer on the SL is not only resolution, far more the fast refresh rate. And here I don't see any wonders happening with the X1 it's just a fact it's harder to read out 50Mp at high speed compared to 24...

All in all a great camera and if I could use my LS Phase lenses I would probably buy it. Let's see what happens.