The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D

Quick question for those of you have handled the X1D. The specs shows a shutter speed range from 60 minutes to 1/2000s. Does this mean that the bulb limit is 60 minutes and T mode is 30s and shorter like most cameras? Or is the timed shutter speed adjustable up to 60 minutes? I do a bunch of long exposure work and would love to have built in timed long exposures. Thanks, Bill
I am not even sure there is a B or T mode. You simply just select the shutter speed which goes from 1/2000s to 60 minutes. I could be totally wrong, but I did ask a Hasselblad rep about this and she was not able to answer me and then distracted me with the app. When doing a long time exposure B is really handle to CANCEL your exposure if it goes pear shaped, which is why I asked in the first place.

Thanks for the quick answer Erik. So you were able to actually see a shutter speed longer than 30s? This is a feature I would use all the time.

I am not even sure there is a B or T mode. You simply just select the shutter speed which goes from 1/2000s to 60 minutes. I could be totally wrong, but I did ask a Hasselblad rep about this and she was not able to answer me and then distracted me with the app. When doing a long time exposure B is really handle to CANCEL your exposure if it goes pear shaped, which is why I asked in the first place.

algrove

Bluenose

I see you use the Sony a7r2. Are in for a different look that MF might give? Are you a bit displeased with the a7r2? Will you keep both systems?

I know it's personal, but those questions came to mind.

- - - Updated - - -

Pre-order from B&H for $3,995 USD

I want one!
That 30mm could sure be a well used lens if I owned the system.

Godfrey

I like that 30mm ... If I were to buy an X1D, I might buy just the body and that lens. (I'd still prefer a 22mm ... :)

G

Bluenose

I see you use the Sony a7r2. Are in for a different look that MF might give? Are you a bit displeased with the a7r2? Will you keep both systems?

I know it's personal, but those questions came to mind.

- - - Updated - - -

That 30mm could sure be a well used lens if I owned the system.
I moved to the Sony A7 system due entirely to the quality of the sensor, mostly dynamic range. And instantly bumped up to the A7R2 when it became available. Where as I quite like the quality of the files and the images it produces, I kind of hate using the camera. I would be interested in the X1D as a replacement for my Sony full frame system but would keep my a6300 and a few lenses for my real estate work and telephoto needs.

miska

Got to test one at the Kina. It is a sexy beast, very compact. Gorgeous screen, and very nice grip.

I also got told that 5 new lenses will be announced in 2017, they are very committed to this system. I was surprised the EVF takes about half a second to start, when you put your eye into the viewfinder. Perhaps it will be fixed in firmware.

No support for Hassi V. I asked about stacking adapters, but still, they said they won't support the V.

Hassi H lens adapter will be manual focus only at first, and then a firmware update of the camera will transmit a firmware update of the H lenses to enable AF on them. No estimate yet as to how much worse (if at all) the H lens AF with adapter will be compared to native lenses.

One tidbit of info about long exposures I got was that the X1D is not making dark frames all, ever. The Hassi representative said very proudly they don't need one, and that it will be a *very* good camera for long exposures...

All in all, I like it, but will wait to see how the system evolves, and how the Fuji looks like (it was behind glass, could not try it).

Got to test one at the Kina. It is a sexy beast, very compact. Gorgeous screen, and very nice grip.

I also got told that 5 new lenses will be announced in 2017, they are very committed to this system. I was surprised the EVF takes about half a second to start, when you put your eye into the viewfinder. Perhaps it will be fixed in firmware.

No support for Hassi V. I asked about stacking adapters, but still, they said they won't support the V.

Hassi H lens adapter will be manual focus only at first, and then a firmware update of the camera will transmit a firmware update of the H lenses to enable AF on them. No estimate yet as to how much worse (if at all) the H lens AF with adapter will be compared to native lenses.

One tidbit of info about long exposures I got was that the X1D is not making dark frames all, ever. The Hassi representative said very proudly they don't need one, and that it will be a *very* good camera for long exposures...

All in all, I like it, but will wait to see how the system evolves, and how the Fuji looks like (it was behind glass, could not try it).
Wow! If they have long exposure color noise under control without a dark frame AND internal long exposure shutter speeds this will be one tempting camera for a long exposure junkies, like me. :)

tcdeveau

That 30mm does look great. I also want one but I was hoping the price would come in closer to $3k than $4k. For now, I think I'm going to stick with the 28mm HCD and try that with the adapter first. I'm working on arranging a demo with my rep to test long exposures, and if I can, I'll try and do some tests with the 30mm XCD vs 28mm HCD + XH adapter.

FYI regarding the X1D and dark frames for long exposure, the H series doesn't use dark frames either. Given one of their main competitors to the H series only allows one to disable dark frames in certain scenarios (ie on a tech cam), I'm surprised Hasselblad marketing doesn't play this up more as it seems a lot of people are aware of this advantage of Hasselblads for long exposures

gmfotografie

the main reason i don´t takte the X1D is that i cannot use it on an actus or such viewcameras... i test it at photokina - great nice stylish tool - but for professional work i need more felxibility - like a MF back.

okay there is also the h6d50c out now .. but actually there are too many earthquakes on this market to spend so much money on this kind of photography tool.... I´ll wait for the first Fuji GFX tests and its flexibility.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
the main reason i don´t takte the X1D is that i cannot use it on an actus or such viewcameras... i test it at photokina - great nice stylish tool - but for professional work i need more felxibility - like a MF back.

okay there is also the h6d50c out now .. but actually there are too many earthquakes on this market to spend so much money on this kind of photography tool.... I´ll wait for the first Fuji GFX tests and its flexibility.
If the Actus is important then you need an alternative solution like a MFDB.

I keep trying to convince myself that the X1D isn't for me but the 30/45/90 lens combo with a travel friendly package is very appealing. I just have to hear about production experiences vs buying on demo/blind faith.

ddanois

FWIW...Spoke with Fotocare in NYC on Friday. They received their production demo camera and confirm that there are still some software bugs, however usability is good. They said customers can come in with memory cards to save images and review later.

Indicated that their shipment of customer cameras is in route and is expected to arrive in about a week.

Derek

fotophil

I wonder if there is a work around to make adapter stacking possible? Having access to the 80mm and longer Hassy V Lenses might be a nice despite the absence of automatic features like focusing, metering, aperture control, etc. Once the equipment is on the shelf we should know more. Based upon the pricing of the 30mm, it looks like the new X1D Lenses will not be bargain priced!

fotophil

I keep trying to convince myself that the X1D isn't for me but the 30/45/90 lens combo with a travel friendly package is very appealing. I just have to hear about production experiences vs buying on demo/blind faith.

Your Range Rover is just too large to carry such a "travel friendly package". I suggest you check with Ken regarding a more appropriate smaller car upgrade!

tashley

Subscriber Member
I like that 30mm ... If I were to buy an X1D, I might buy just the body and that lens. (I'd still prefer a 22mm ... :)

G
I'm with Godfrey on this: buy the 30mm only and effectively you've got a full-frame (ish) 50mp Rx1R II (but with a more useful focal length, for me) at a weight of 1.275 Kg - which is very attractive - and weatherproof, and lets you add another lens such as the 90mm if as and when you hit the studio or are able to travel less lightly.

That's a little over twice the weight of the Rx1RII but still very very light for what you're getting.

Of course, by my calculations you're only getting and extra 1.7" print size on the long end (if you print at 180 dpi, which many here would consider too low a resolution) but you will be getting fatter pixels and I expect more DR and colour depth.

Last edited:

hcubell

I'm with Godfrey on this: buy the 30mm only and effectively you've got a full-frame (ish) 50mp Rx1R II at a weight of 1.275 Kg - which is very attractive - and weatherproof, and lets you add another lens such as the 90mm if as and when you hit the studio or are able to travel less lightly.
I am curious, Tim, about the source of your information about the X1D being "weatherproof." I am very focused on that issue as I just returned from a 10 day photo workshop in Iceland and my medium format camera/back (Hasselblad H2/IQ 180) failed yet again. The screen on the Phase back went on the blink first, and then the H2 stopped working altogether after 3 days. As usual, the weather conditions in Iceland were not warm, sunny and dry with low winds. There was rain and wind, but I did my best to shield the camera from the rain. There were 7 other photographers shooting with me using Nikon equipment and Hasselblad V systems. They did little if anything to shield their cameras from the rain, yet their cameras just kept on working. This is not the first time that I have run into these reliability issues with a range of medium format digital gear, and ALWAYS in remote locations. Hasselblad H3D-39, H2s, Phase P65+ and Phase IQ 180. Completely unacceptable. I don't work in a studio.

I am looking at the ELB 400 Twin Action Kit to go with my new X1D. Should let me take advantage of the leaf shutter lens as the Action heads has a flash duration of 1/2800s at full power. What do you guys think?