The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D

algrove

I always liked OVF, but failing eyesight led me to try the M240 (sold the M9) with its 2.36 EVF. Many complained about tunnel vision and the like while using that EVF, but I never found it a problem for me. This could be that I use what I have in my hand and as such never concentrated on the EVF's limitations, but just got on with the task at hand with the tool in my hand.

To me the histogram in the VF is crucial for me in digital work and EVF's with that feature are terrific to have since for me it initially minimized chimping and now all but eliminates its need in many situations.

Often when I see other photographers chimping after each shot with an EVF, it reminds me of what I see on an airplane where nearly the entire plane load of passengers, while waiting to disembark the plane, automatically pull out their cell phones to look for messages or what not. Of course once the phones reconnect on the ground most are getting some form of vibration or audio ping telling them to look at the phone, but it's always is an interesting observation these days. I actually liked the days when no phone was present in the field and the idea of talking on the phone was the furthest thing from my mind when in the zone of image capture. Guess I'm showing my age now.

Godfrey

I could care less whether a viewfinder is a ground glass back, an optical tunnel, an optical reflex, an LCD, or an EVF. All I care about is whether it allows me to see well to set focus accurately and frame my subject.

LCDs and ground glass backs do this fine with static work, a magnifying lens, and a tripod. Optical tunnel with a coupled rangefinder works best for relatively casual framing and focusing. Current generation EVFs (Olympus E-M1, Leica SL, Sony A7, etc) outstrip the optical reflex viewfinders on small format cameras but have less of an edge over optical reflex finders for medium format cameras.

But I don't depend on the quality of the image in the viewfinder, any viewfinder, to accurately represent what I'm going to get in the capture. So as long as I can see well enough to focus and frame accurately, I'm pretty nonchalant about it.

G

ddanois

FYI, customer orders for the XCD 45 & 90 lenses are beginning to arrive (not that it helps without the camera). B&H notified me earlier today that my lenses had arrived and asked if I wanted them sent before the camera arrives. No ETA on the body deliveries.

I've read Ming's statement regarding the "re-organizing" needed to meet the X1D demand but this doesn't explain why a few per week haven't been making there way to customers since August. Obviously, the delay isn't the lenses so it seems it's something more unexpected. I mention this point because there's nothing to suggest that they are planning to actually make deliveries by the end of November or early December. In fact, there's been no official statement from Hasselblad to give clarity to pre-order customers.

So why does this matter...Well, since my lens pre-order has arrived, I am forced to make a call on having the lenses sent now or not having them available when the camera arrives because they go to the next person in line.

In any event, nothing worse than getting enough good news to excite but not enough to satisfy :(

Godfrey

I'd just have the lenses shipped and continue waiting for the body.

What's the big deal? You can't even evaluate the body unless you have one lens to use with it at least. Just relax and let the kit come together—I'm sure Hasselblad is doing their damnedest to get them in the pipeline as quickly as possible. Remember they don't get paid until the product is delivered ...!

I've had it go both ways on new product purchases from time to time. Got a body, no lens for a month. Got a lens, no body for a month. No big deal, you just have to be patient and be confident that you've ordered a high quality camera. It will all be great.

G

Leigh

In my experience, delivery delays are usually the result of production delays.

If it's simply a matter of production capacity, a steady stream of product will ship, just not as fast as wanted.

If no product ships, either a part is not available or the design doesn't work right in actual production.
This can happen when a design goes through prototyping but without production engineers getting involved.

- Leigh

Nick-T

It's a matter of production capacity. The cameras are being produced (slowly for now) and are all going to dealers with end users to follow.

Paratom

I also prefer an OVF over an EVF. Actually, the fact that Sony went EVF only with their cameras is the reason I looked for another brand (and eventually moved to MF), while I had been very satisfied with the A900 (and cameras from Minolta beforehand).

I can tolerate an EVF in a small camera, like the Sony RX100. Everything is a compromise.

Then, other people actually prefer to use an EVF. I can understand that, it has some advantages.

Fortunately, with Hasselblad, we still have the choice: either the X1D or the equivalent H6D-50c. I don't think Hasselblad is abandoning the H line any soon.
Same here. As someone using SL,S and M and T (sorry, somewhat Leica-infected) I do love the OVF of the S and the Rangefinder of the M. I feel more connected to the subject vs looking through an EVF.
There are areas where I do see an EVF to work better:
-when one wants to save size and a good OVF doesnt fit into the camera
-for using manual focus for static and slow moving subjects
-for being able to use all kind of lenses on a body (Thats pretty cool I can use all my M, R, Nikon and other old glass on the SL)

IMO a EVF makes total sense for the X1 which is aimed to be a smaller alternative to DSLR medium format cameras.

ddanois

Joe,

LOL...Somehow, I knew that would be your opinion.

Decsion made...lenses are on the way. They'll probably make good paperweights until the body arrives.

Derek

I'm with Godfrey. Buy, buy, buy!!! Get those lenses in your hands and clutch them tightly and dearly. The camera body will arrive soon enough.

Joe

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I would say the same if your committed to the body than grab those lenses while you can. As soon as the body hits the streets you may be too late and have to wait longer. That way day one your ready to go

Godfrey

You'll enjoy them a lot!

I remember visiting with Ivan Rhodes many years ago. He wrote a lovely history of the Velocette motorcycle and even in his 80s was an avid enthusiast. I mentioned that I'd always loved the looks of the Velocette KTT race bike. Ivan handed me a valve and a cylinder head, "There's the starting point. Now go collect the other pieces and put it together. It will take a bit of time and prove a bit of a challenge, but you'll love it when it's all put together."

No, I don't have that much patience...! :)

G

PeterA

Quick!

Someone should start a 'fun with' X1D thread....oh wait - that is a 35mm format tribal thing...in here the X1D will only be 'just' a 50 megapixel low rent MF outfit:p:grin:

hcubell

Derek, my XCD 45mm and 90mm lenses arrive tomorrow from B&H. :clap:

Pedro, I'll post some images soon too...
...of the lenses (taken with an a7RII).
Thanks in advance for any images you share with us. We're on Page 27 of this thread with no images yet from GetDPI members.

Joe
The potential problem, for some, with the lenses shipping before the bodies is that B&H has a 30-day refund window. If the bodies ship more than 30 days after the lenses and you decide that the X1D isn't for you, you are stuck with the lenses.