The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad X1D

D&A

Re: 4116 edition shipping on October 25th !

I think I need to buy two X1D bodies. The silver one to use. The black one to put on a pedestal and just stare at.
I'd do the reverse! Maybe better yet is combine outer cosmetic parts of both and do what Leica and some of its users do and make two rare varients of Panda color versions....LOL. You know its bound to happen at some point when sales slow down :).

Dave (D&A).

wellfleet

Interesting, in what respect? Handling of the body itself, output of its files or something else. What cameras are you comparing it to? Thanks, just curious.

Dave (D&A

That was just a quote from Keith Morrison's review at the link posted below it.
Unfortunately, I've yet to handle the X1D.

Phil

Last edited:

bab

Well, I'm convinced. Use the RAW processor that is made by the same company as your camera. :ROTFL:

--Matt
It's a lot of work and he did a fair job with the video but it does lack any explanation on his processing of files. Also only showing the left corner of the brick wall doesn't rule out his cannon might not be aligned or the copy of his lens is at fault. That is why these videos really only ever scratch the surface of the process as a whole. But I do agree with his last statement one usually gets what one pays for. "Buy cheap buy twice"

rayyen

Raymond, what were your impressions of the camera? Do you know whether it was one of the initial demo cameras or a more recent production model? Would you be willing to share any RAW files for some of us (who are waiting on our pre-orders to be filled) to play with?

Joe

Hi Joe,
You can get the raw files here, feel free play with them :D
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wqrsrm0dwwnidiu/AACWUIQoTZlf3ufviIEhPGK7a?dl=0
Sorry for my poor shooting technique if you find the photos are poorly composed.
Cheers,
Ray

rayyen

The shop told me the demo unit only arrived a few days, so I believe more likely its recent mass production batch. Friends told me earlier demo unit doesn't work with 90mm lens, the copy I test it works perfectly normal with the 90mm.

Overall impression (disclaimer:I'm waiting for the black one):
- slight heavier than I expect,
- better grip than most camera incl the recent Leica SL,
- feels very solid in hand,
- beautiful craftsmanship,
- simple touch UI, very easy to use,
- unlike someone said, I find the EVF is very good, very comfortable, no laggy at all,
- I love the zoom focus, same as my Sony A7r,
- start up time is still very slow,
- shutter sound a bit awkward, I was spoilt by those Leica mechanic shutter sound,
- shutter a bit laggy, cannot do serious sport photo,

Looking forward to the delivery before my autum photo trip in Japan.

D&A

The shop told me the demo unit only arrived a few days, so I believe more likely its recent mass production batch. Friends told me earlier demo unit doesn't work with 90mm lens, the copy I test it works perfectly normal with the 90mm.

Overall impression (disclaimer:I'm waiting for the black one):
- slight heavier than I expect,
- better grip than most camera incl the recent Leica SL,
- feels very solid in hand,
- beautiful craftsmanship,
- simple touch UI, very easy to use,
- unlike someone said, I find the EVF is very good, very comfortable, no laggy at all,
- I love the zoom focus, same as my Sony A7r,
- start up time is still very slow,
- shutter sound a bit awkward, I was spoilt by those Leica mechanic shutter sound,
- shutter a bit laggy, cannot do serious sport photo,

Looking forward to the delivery before my autum photo trip in Japan.
Ray, greatly appreciate all the dropbox files and your impressions of the camera. I had been reading that the EVF in the field (outdoors and changing bright sunlight), doesn't adjust well or not at all to reflect a WYSIWYG view as compared to actual scene. I'd be curious if that's the case and also may be why some initial observers were not completely satisfied with the EVF.

What would you estimate start up time is like. Approx. 1 second?

I'm simply interested when a new system such as this one or the new Fuji comes along, and how it performs and handles vs. others out there.

Now here's maybe the most important concern. You're waiting for the black one??? Are you serious?? You're the man when it comes to silver "bling" with those beautiful Leica cameras and lenses you've often shown us. Guess maybe black color cameras and lenses are the new silver. OK, time to send me those beautiful silver ones that are now out of fashion LOL :)

Enjoy the X1D Ray and looking forward to more pics and additional thoughts on the system from yourself and everyone else. Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

Greenaa

I shot for a day with an X1D from the latest demo batch and it still has all the foibles of the Photokina samples. For any meaningful feedback on the production level firmware, just wait until November and actual reviews, and surely it will be a couple firmware updates after that before the kinks get worked out.

Hasselblad knows it's got its work cut out.

Nothing about the firmware is satisfactory for the moment except the final image quality. Usability is pretty bad, but as nonof these cameras have anywhere near final firmware, it's irrelevant to comment.

The hardware as said before is beautifully executed, and while thé EVF is not the highest resolution out there, it's fine. Never thought I'd be saying that, but solving other firmware concerns have me more concerned at this point.

Best Regards,

ACG

Ray, greatly appreciate all the dropbox files and your impressions of the camera. I had been reading that the EVF in the field (outdoors and changing bright sunlight), doesn't adjust well or not at all to reflect a WYSIWYG view as compared to actual scene. I'd be curious if that's the case and also may be why some initial observers were not completely satisfied with the EVF.

What would you estimate start up time is like. Approx. 1 second?

I'm simply interested when a new system such as this one or the new Fuji comes along, and how it performs and handles vs. others out there.

Now here's maybe the most important concern. You're waiting for the black one??? Are you serious?? You're the man when it comes to silver "bling" with those beautiful Leica cameras and lenses you've often shown us. Guess maybe black color cameras and lenses are the new silver. OK, time to send me those beautiful silver ones that are now out of fashion LOL :)

Enjoy the X1D Ray and looking forward to more pics and additional thoughts on the system from yourself and everyone else. Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

tashley

Subscriber Member
SO what do we need to know?

There seem to be a number of questions floating around subsequent to the publication of the manual and the questions raised by what is or isn't in that, compared to the 'official' spec sheet and the user reports of pre-shipping firmware.

Things I'd like confirmed:

Is there GPS?
Is it weather sealed (and to what degree)?
Does Auto ISO work in modes other than full auto - e.g. in Aperture Priority mode? What parametric settings are there?
Can you see histograms and exposure warnings before and/or after exposure? Are these 'true RAW' or JPEG based?
What is startup time, both from OFF and from Sleep?

Please add your own outstanding queries. Time to consolidate them all on one place and then drill down to the answers!

hcubell

I'd add to that list:
● How fast is the AF with the first two lenses? How noisy or quiet is the AF? I remember the Leica S Type 006 being slow and noisy.
● In normal use, does the camera overheat and shut down? During the summer months, our ambient temps in central NC can easily be 90F (32C) up to 100F (38C).
● As the camera heats, how bad does the noise get at base ISO and at higher ISO values?

There was no GPS data in the EXIF for any of the RAW files Ray shared. I checked.
The XCD 45mm and 90mm lenses do in fact have rubber gaskets at the mount, i.e., are weather sealed. I have both lenses in my possession.

Joe
Thanks, Joe, for the information about the rubber gaskets at the mounts. That is important to me. I wonder if there are other areas of the lens where "weather proofing" design comes into play, like the front lens elements and the focusing ring.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Let's assume that the water sealing is so one can constantly run cool liquid over the body for cooling...

D&A

Is it confirmed that the body is weather sealed or at least weather resistant? As mention about the lenses, a rubber gaskit at lens mount prevents egress of water/moisture into body but doesn't say anything about rest of lens being water resistant at possible moisture entry points.

Whats interesting is I believe Hasselblad is aiming this camsra to be ideal for studio/fashion use yet becuause of itss size/weight advantage, it begs to be used out in the field where weather resistance of system componenets is expected by most. The situation is a bit paridoxical. In a way, same hoes for having GPS capabilties.

Dave (D&A)