The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

It's alive! Fast wide angle for Alpa

thrice

Rollei Schneider 50/2.8 Super-angulon PQS AFD adapted to Alpa mount.

Big thanks to SK Grimes and ecbuyonline (Rudy) on eBay for their assistance.

Post any questions here and I'll attempt to answer them :)
Quick informal brick wall photos below. I'll probably do some more precisely groundglass focused tests soon.
Panorama's stitched to the limits of the STC. Image circle looks to be around 84mm. Sharp image circle around 70mm.
Soft glow wide open, sharp at f/4.0 over the 39x48 sensor, sharp out to 70mm by f/8.0.
Not sure why this optic (in its PC-TS Canon/Nikon variation) is considered soft.

f/2.8

Centre Crop
Mid Crop
Extreme Edge Crop

f/4.0

Centre Crop
Mid Crop (reckon I bumped the camera here - sorry)
Extreme Edge Crop

f/8.0

Centre Crop
Mid Crop
Extreme Edge Crop

thrice

A mixed light portrait wide open.
Although this is a 50mm lens, it is equivalent to 35mm on small format so probably not an ideal portrait lens this close. Thankfully my subject is pretty enough that it doesn't do much harm :)
50mm f/2.8 1/4s ISO50

and a 100% crop

thrice

Probably not what I'll use this for, but it's not bad at smaller apertures!
f/11 with 10mm rear fall

Centre crop

Edge crop

Geoff

I've used this same lens on a Hy6 with a Leaf AFI II 7 (33mb) back - for photographing architectural drawings. By the time you post the images on the web, they are so downsized they look rather modest... but they are quite lovely as shot. Have to dial out a bit of barrel distortion in C1 tho, with the 50. Shooting around f11, in fluorescent light. ISO 50, but these are smaller jpg outputs (about 3 mb, instead of 20mb, and not TIFFs).

First an overall:
Leaf AIC 7.25.12 330 smll.jpg

then edge crop
Screen Shot 2016-07-02 at 4.18.57 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2016-07-02 at 4.25.02 AM.jpg

thrice

Great stuff, thanks Geoff!
I would hazard a guess your 50 will perform a bit better than mine up close. The lens originally has a floating element, whilst mine has had to be locked down to work on a simple helical.