The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad H3Dii-31 vs Pentax 645D

rollsman44

I am trying to decide on which one to purchase. I shoot some portraits, Family photos and some landscapes. I would like a Reasonable ISO say 800 thats Clean and very usable. Also, Image quality and best deal. Thank you

masud

The Hassy lenses are quite good, particularly the 100/2.2 and the new 50mm II, if that influences your decision.

I am trying to decide on which one to purchase. I shoot some portraits, Family photos and some landscapes. I would like a Reasonable ISO say 800 thats Clean and very usable. Also, Image quality and best deal. Thank you

Nick-T

The Pentax uses the same chip as the H4D40 which I have as well as an H3D31, I'd say the 40 MP chip is better by about a stop of ISO. deal wise there are plenty of cheap 31's about. Don't know much about the pentax except to say that people seem to like it but the lens line up isn't that impressive.

DougDolde

Why buy a 31 megapixel medium format camera? Might as well get a D810 or Pentax K-1 or even a (Gack) Sony

Definitely D810 will be cheaper than Pentax 645D.

There are very few f/2.8 lens lineup in Pentax (if that does that matter).

I prefer aspect ratio of MF better, hence my vote will be for Pentax, but I will go to 645z instead of 645D. You can also use Hassy lenses with a adopter on Pentax 645x.

If it isn't all about megapixels, then why do you bother? Pentax K-1 has Pixel Shift Resolution, which is better than 645D. It all depends on what features matters most to you.

Subrata

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

The OP is asking for good performance at 800 ISO. High ISO has never been a strong side of the CCD sensors used in MFD.

• A DSLR with a good sensor from Sony will have much better DR and high ISO performance compared to any CCD based MFD.
  • A great lens on a 36-42 MP DSLR will outperform a good lens on 31 MP MFD.
  • One area where the MFD may win is in producing fake detail, though.

So, objectively speaking, there is very little in favour of that 31MP MFD vs. more modern DSLRs.

On the other hand, if someone wants an MFD, for whatever reason, all MFDs will deliver good results when used within their usable envelope, and that may contain pretty large prints sizes. Let's not forget that many users switched from 4"x5" to MFD when the P45 generation of backs arrived, those were at 39 MP.

One advantage the Hasselblad may have is Phocus, the Hasselblad "raw processor". Phocus is very well tuned to Hasselblad's sensors.

I have a 39 MP back myself, a P45+. I don't think it is better than my A7rII and the A7rII can do a lot of stuff the P45+ on Hasselblad 555/ELD can not (*). So the P45+ is in retirement…

Best regards
Erik

(*) The P45+ on a technical camera with a sliding back would do a lot of those things…
Why buy a 31 megapixel medium format camera? Might as well get a D810 or Pentax K-1 or even a (Gack) Sony

Last edited:

bensonga

Hi,

The OP is asking for good performance at 800 ISO. High ISO has never been a strong side of the CCD sensors used in MFD.

• A DSLR with a good sensor from Sony will have much better DR and high ISO performance compared to any CCD based MFD.
  • A great lens on a 36-42 MP DSLR will outperform a good lens on 31 MP MFD.
  • One area where the MFD may win is in producing fake detail, though.

So, objectively speaking, there is very little in favour of that 31MP MFD vs. more modern DSLRs.

On the other hand, if someone wants an MFD, for whatever reason, all MFDs will deliver good results when used within their usable envelope, and that may contain pretty large prints sizes. Let's not forget that many users switched from 4"x5" to MFD when the P45 generation of backs arrived, those were at 39 MP.

I have a 39 MP back myself, a P45+. I don't think it is better than my A7rII and the A7rII can do a lot of stuff the P45+ on Hasselblad 555/ELD can not. So the P45+ is in retirement…

Best regards
Erik
The OP was specifically asking about the H3DII-31 vs 645D...not about 35mm DSLRs or mirrorless cameras. Presumably the OP had already ruled them out, since he was asking for opinions about these two MFD cameras in the MF forum.

I have the 645D and several Pentax 645 A, FA and D-FA lenses which I have been happy with, but I have no experience with the H3DII-31, so have no basis for comparing the two.

Gary

Last edited:

torger

I think you should look into intended upgrade path. The Hassy has a strong lens line, but also an expensive lens line. Pentax will probably always be substantially cheaper both in terms of camera and lens line.

Sensor-wise the Pentax 645D is probably a bit less bad than H3D-31, but as Erik mentioned Phocus should not be under-estimated.

It's natural to ask why you're not considering a high resolution 135 camera instead, as they have better performance in most aspects compared to those older systems. Medium format has had a strong reputation of being inherently better just because it's medium format, and I simply don't think that is true, especially for the crop sensor that isn't a whole lot larger.

There are other reasons than technical performance though, one may simply prefer the workflow or the default manufacturer-provided raw conversion (where Hassy is probably considerably subjectively better than Pentax), it may be nice to have something different too. But keep in mind that extremely few medium format users stay with old gear when 135 reaches or surpasses in technical performance. Either they upgrade to even more megapixels and dynamic range, or they switch to 135.

Personally I'd be fine with the image quality of those systems if they get to work in their ideal condition. I use a 50MP CCD today, in many ways inferior to both modern medium format and 135 sensors, but the quality is still very good when I let it get the light it needs and most importantly I can use on a technical camera which is the whole idea for me. I do have a Hassy H4D-50 (that's the back I'm using for my tech cam), but for any hand-held stuff I prefer my Canon. Had I worked in a studio with flash etc, more classic professional MFD setting, I would have preferred the Hassy.

rollsman44

Thank you for your comments. I know it can be very subjective. My needs are with Both But I just decided to purchase the Pentax 645D for now. Thanks again

bensonga

Thank you for your comments. I know it can be very subjective. My needs are with Both But I just decided to purchase the Pentax 645D for now. Thanks again
A used 645D for under $3k is a good deal now and there are plenty of reasonably priced lenses available for it. Two good zooms are in the GetDPI B/S section right now. The 55mm SDM D-FA lens is also worth getting. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Gary

bensonga

Hi Gary, thank you. I will check out the zooms. I read that the FA 75mm F2.8 is an Excellent lens.
The 75/2.8 is absolutely a must have lens for your 645D. I have both the manual focus A and the autofocus FA versions whch I have used on both my 645D and 645NII. The 35mm A or FA lens is also very good, if you are looking for a wide angle.

You will find a weath of good information about the Pentax 645 lenses on this thread, beginning with the reviews by GetDPI member Dave (D&A).
http://www.getdpi.com/forum/medium-...observations-pentax-645-lenses-used-645d.html

Another great source of info is the MF lens review section on the Pentax Forum.

Gary

bensonga

Hi Gary, thank you for the valuable info. I am trying to purchase a 75/2.8 FA Not easy to find used.
There are quite a few on eBay now, mostly from sellers in Japan. That is where I went to get a few hard to find lenses for my Pentax 67. Brand new FA 75/2.8 at B&H Photo is now $696.

Those two FA zooms that Joe Colson is selling are priced way below the new lens prices at B&H.

Gary

rollsman44

Hi everyone, thank you for all your helpful info. I am trying a different system as I rarely shoot jobs any more. Now its time for me to enjoy what I do and can take my time shooting. The members on this forum have always been extremely helpful and I appreciate it.
Now its time to have some fun. I still do some photography work and now trying the various Post Processing software to enhance my images.
I sold my Hassy and went to a Nikon D810 for the jobs I did , Great Camera but don't need the speed anymore. So, I am back to MF

Professional

Hi everyone, thank you for all your helpful info. I am trying a different system as I rarely shoot jobs any more. Now its time for me to enjoy what I do and can take my time shooting. The members on this forum have always been extremely helpful and I appreciate it.
Now its time to have some fun. I still do some photography work and now trying the various Post Processing software to enhance my images.
I sold my Hassy and went to a Nikon D810 for the jobs I did , Great Camera but don't need the speed anymore. So, I am back to MF
I bought H3DII-39 long time ago, but then replaced it with H4D and i kept it although i went with A7R mk1 that is comparable to D800, i would like to replace my A7R to mkII and see how it will perform against H4D, not thinking about Nikon because i am a Canon shooter, but between Hasselblad and Pentax i am still sincere with Hasselblad, new models of Pentx proving itself with time, but Hasselblad isn't watching only too.

Why not checking out some of Phase One IQ1 versions, i think they are lower prices nowadays, P65 at least, can't you afford Hasselblad H4D for example? i still like the Phase One and Hasselblad lenses lines more than Pentax or Leica Medium format.