The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Clients that ask for Medium Format

aztwang

This was mentioned in passing in a post a few threads down and I thought it would make for good conversation. Have you ever had or do you have clients that ask for "Medium Format", "The commercial rig", The Big Megapixel camera" ?

Cheers

Don

danlindberg

No. Not once.
However, whenever I shoot for a new client it is more frequent than not, that the client comments or starts a conversation when they see the Alpa setup. (mostly interiors)

Not long ago I had my 32Hr converted to FPS mount and at the same time got a prestige assignment of shooting interiors of a villa costing 28 million euros. I turned up at the location with my Sony A7r mk1 and a Loxia 21. I felt 'very' naked, vulnerable and small....
I had prepared a defense if confronted with this setup, but that didn't happen. End result was a happy client, but I don't want to experience that again. Not in a place like that.

Bottom line is that in my case, the Alpa setup on location reinforces confidence with the right choice of photog from the clients perspective and I believe it is a combination of end result and this setup that gives me the next assignment.

gmfotografie

No but i had three jobs in the past (2016) where the client says to me - after setting up my 5diii ....

one example....:
Oh! with this camera do you shoot today - I give my dauthger this camera last christmas.
(not mentioned the three tse lenses lying around)

Taking good pictures and the whole post processing is one thing - but it was a crucial experience where i thought - it´s time for bigger things :grin:

I shoot interiors very often with the help of my broncolor move 1200L. One day i had only my Canon 580EX and a 430 EX on small tripods because the room was so small ... First thing from the client - Where are your bigger lights ???
Me: In the car - for those small rooms these flashes are quite okay!

ERROR !!!
The Client -> Pleeeeeease take the bigger ones - We want to have those very bright pictures!

:confused:

Impress your clients with technical stuff... :D :cry:

kdphotography

Extremely rare to have a client ask for medium format digital specifically---maybe twice??

It's much more likely the client and/or their friends/associates notice medium format digital is being used during the photography.

Or afterwards, they notice the difference in the final images produced, but they have absolutely no clue why or what it is.... :cool:

MrSmith

No, never, that's for the last 12-15 years shooting digital.
Used to use a P45 but ditched that for a a7R (then mkII) either with canon lenses on a metabones or a cambo Actus with digitars.

Clients are more interested in images. The only caveat being I don't use mediocre lenses so no soft corners, fringing or muddyness.

A 100mb tiff that's really clean and sharp where it needs to be is more than good enough for anything. This is for design/advertising use, never printed a load of huge prints and offered people at a private view a glass of cheap wine in the hope somebody buys something so huge files are of no use to me. In fact it only needs to look good on the Eizo when shooting tethered as that's where first impressions happen and then they should be even more impressed once processing and retouch are done.

I guess the Actus looks different/professional but nobody has ever asked what the camera is.

MrSmith

4 replies from those with clients? i guess that shows how much the MFD world relies on wealthy amateurs :watch:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have a couple that asked but they moved on to what I'm shooting presently and don't ask anymore, my Sony of course. But more the problem is after the fact. Images get cropped to death , made bigger than there intended purpose and things like that. One thing I hate is the yea my cousin Joe has that Canon. I will never buy a Canon just for that reason. He may have the camera but he can't shoot his way out of a paper bag. Try explaining that one. LOL

The real reality is not this what is popular now is how big a name you are on social media which is about the dumbest thing I ever saw in this industry, sure we been fighting the undercutting for years but now it's diffrent. But back to the question, you shoot MF because you want the best quality you can get at least that's the intent going in and it does separate you from the cousin Joe comparison and you look serious about what your doing, that's all good points but your paying for that too. When I shot MF I mostly shot it for me as after all these years getting out of bed to go work you have to get some satisfaction from the daily grind. More times than not I buy gear just for the fact it's something new to keep me out of going into a slump. I've been through several of these after 40 years and you need to keep yourself fresh somehow or this becomes a job. Nothing worse than that plus face it most of us are gear heads anyway.

Frederic

Sometimes I have architects asking what I intend to shoot with, plus there are many public tenders in my field (monuments / cultural heritage) where technical requirements basically ask for MF.
It may change at some point, now there are high-res 24x36 bodies and matching lenses, we'll see...

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
4 replies from those with clients? i guess that shows how much the MFD world relies on wealthy amateurs :watch:
Most of the professionals that use such gear do not hang out on these forums. Also I would add that many of us don't do work for hire. I've been a professional photographer for over 40 years, but sold my business and retired over 10 years ago. All I do now is sell landscape work. I have had many clients and potential clients ask me how my large images are so clear and real looking, and yes some ask what kind of camera I use to make such images. But I choose my gear based on the results I'm looking for and only MF delivers those results. I have a full d800 kit with Zeiss glass, as well as a full a7rII kit. I keep looking for a lighter kit that will deliver what I'm after. Maybe the next version of the new hasselblad with a 75mp sensor, or maybe a new Phase or Fuji mirror less MF system.

For now it's still Phase XF system or Arca Swiss rm3di, depending on the shoot.

torger

I thought it primarily was photographers that asked for MFD, not clients? The handling and workflows are tailored for typical pro work in certain genres, just smoother to work with. If it was only about client requirements MFD would be dead by now I think.