The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ3 100MP long exposure issue - shadow filled with red color cast

MrSmith

where is your dealer in all this?
surely they should have the answer or point you to raising a support ticket with phase?

dchew

I'm slowly getting smarter. Tested it first with Yunli's instructions. Works fine. A 1-min exposure shows me my happy stuck pixels in all their RGB glory.

Taking a 20 min exposure now.

Dave

where is your dealer in all this?
surely they should have the answer or point you to raising a support ticket with phase?
Not even a good dealer could help much. When I discovered the corner issues of the IQ260 for exposures longer than 15 minutes, Phase One denied to admit any design flaw.

Paul2660

I'm slowly getting smarter. Tested it first with Yunli's instructions. Works fine. A 1-min exposure shows me my happy stuck pixels in all their RGB glory.

Taking a 20 min exposure now.

Dave
Sorry I forgot that you have to take the 1 exposure first. It's been a while since I used this.

Paul C

dchew

I can see on the preview it is purple. I'll get it into RawDigger in a bit and post the results. I will also try ISO 100 and a few different times.

Dave

dchew

Mine looks fine in RawDigger. Purple on import to C1, but a WB click takes that completely away.
As shot WB: 3122, -1.4
Custom WB: 3158, -55.8

Looks like something else is going on. Either a light leak in the camera or something with that back.

Dave

Mine looks fine in RawDigger. Purple on import to C1, but a WB click takes that completely away.
As shot WB: 3122, -1.4
Custom WB: 3158, -55.8

Looks like something else is going on. Either a light leak in the camera or something with that back.

Dave
Thanks for sharing!

For real-world images instead of lens cap images, RawDigger could do a bit better than C1, but still struggles to white balance everything (if the shadow is white balanced then the highlight is not white balanced).

dchew

"Day light" white balance gives a good suggestion about how it's gonna look like in shadows for real-world images.
Well that would definitely have a pink cast since the WB tint is at -55. But since the raw histograms in RD are very uniform between the RGGB channels, then I think that would be a problem with either C1 or the profile. Not with the back.

Dave

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Not even a good dealer could help much. When I discovered the corner issues of the IQ260 for exposures longer than 15 minutes, Phase One denied to admit any design flaw.
Good dealers are often aware of limitations, workarounds, third party options, etc before the manufacturer is and a main driver for the manufacturer to address/improve/provide those things :). We've been really interested in this area and doing a lot of research and testing of our own based on the super-high-res time-lapse market.

Quick note... what you are doing is not technically "disabling" the dark frame. You are forcing the back to reuse the dark frame made in the first capture executed after enabling the aerial mode.

I would suggest you and your friend's situation is better addressed through your dealer and Phase One than through the forum.

Well that would definitely have a pink cast since the WB tint is at -55. But since the raw histograms in RD are very uniform between the RGGB channels, then I think that would be a problem with either C1 or the profile. Not with the back.

Dave
That's also what I have thought. However even with RawDigger for the real pictures I still have some minor red cast in the shadow for the real-world images. Could you give it a go and see what happens? I think you have some not-so-strong ND filters and you could perhaps use these indoors for long exposure?

Good dealers are often aware of limitations, workarounds, third party options, etc before the manufacturer is and a main driver for the manufacturer to address/improve/provide those things :). We've been really interested in this area and doing a lot of research and testing of our own based on the super-high-res time-lapse market.

Quick note... what you are doing is not technically "disabling" the dark frame. You are forcing the back to reuse the dark frame made in the first capture executed after enabling the aerial mode.

I would suggest you and your friend's situation is better addressed through your dealer and Phase One than through the forum.
Hi Doug, thanks for the explanation. It's interesting to hear that the back will reuse the darkframe made in the first capture executed. I will definitely give it a test!

As for addressing this problem - my own experience was that no company would address such issues actively unless it's exposed and it threatens reputation. One well-known example is Nikon's infamous dust/oil D600. For the IQ260 history, not even the best dealer in the UK could get Phase One fix the problem for me. I chose not to publish the corner issues of long exposure to English forums because I didn't want to hurt Phase One's sales, and the problem ended up inherited by the IQ3 80MP.

dchew

That's also what I have thought. However even with RawDigger for the real pictures I still have some minor red cast in the shadow for the real-world images. Could you give it a go and see what happens? I think you have some not-so-strong ND filters and you could perhaps use these indoors for long exposure?
I will try if I have time. Might not be tonight though.

Dave

miska

So it looks like a dark frame mismatch. The back is applying the dark it has taken with the first frame - maybe with 1/60s exposure to the long exposure frame.
So next test:
Take a long exposure image, with NR on. After that, disable the NR, and take another long exposure image. That one should be much better.

So it looks like a dark frame mismatch. The back is applying the dark it has taken with the first frame - maybe with 1/60s exposure to the long exposure frame.
So next test:
Take a long exposure image, with NR on. After that, disable the NR, and take another long exposure image. That one should be much better.
You obviously didn't read #6 of this thread. This problem has nothing to do with darkframe NR. It's a general issue.

Christopher

I would first would like to se an example from a XF camera. To me it looks like a tech camera problem. It doesn't have to be, but that would be my first step to be sure it's any general problem.

f8orbust

Good dealers are often aware of limitations, workarounds, third party options, etc before the manufacturer is and a main driver for the manufacturer to address/improve/provide those things ...
So, in a nutshell, whoever designed this thing screwed up; users now have to 'lobby' P1 in order to get them to fix it ?

Like all those diesel owning VW drivers would have gotten the deal currently on the table (in the US at least) simply via their dealership and VW HQ in Germany. Yeah, right.

Christopher

Be happy, don't even think as a German Customer you will EVER see one cent of money.

That makes you feel even more crappy if you hear about their f****** grand gesture in the US.

Sorry for the of topic

kdphotography

It's a general issue.
Way too premature to state this is a general issue affecting all IQ3 100MP MFDBs.

I count only one MFDB, and even then all the issues have not been investigated nor addressed because it's still in the "send me a file" stage...

If there is an issue, whether with an individual MFDB or as a whole, I would expect a firmware or software update from Phase One. They seem to be pretty good about that.

No similarities to Volkswagen or any other fraudulent players. Not even close.

I'd like to see/hear from others trying to reproduce the same issue, and if evident, what the solution is from dealers/Phase.

ken