The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji will soon launch a lower priced “X1D competition”

darr

Posted on July 4th:

Watch out Hasselblad! Fuji will soon launch a lower priced “X1D competition” soon!

Well if you like the new Hasselblad X1D there is even greater news for you to come. Fuji will soon announce their own medium format system camera too! And it will be priced below the Hasselblad X1D! This is what we know yet about the new Fuji medium format camera:

It will be announced in September at Photokina
It will ship in early 2017
It has the same 50MP Sony sensor used by the Hasselblad X1D-50c
It will have a new mount (not the same mount as the one form Hasselblad!)
It will be launched along three lenses (most likely three prime lenses)
It will be priced below the Hasselblad X1D (which costs $8999)

Exciting time ahead!

torger

These rumours do seem quite likely, and Hasselblad probably knew about it and thus it was important for them to announce first.

It shall be interesting to see if it will have focal plane shutter or not, which is the big thing for making the camera an all-arounder or not. The X1D's lack of FPS was a disappointment to franken-camera builders, but on the other hand it made the X1D more compact and robust and anyone shooting native lenses prefers leaf shutters of course.

Price will be interesting too, my guess is that it will be similar priced to the 645z ($7k), but I wouldn't mind yet a new price revolution bringing down it to say $5k which is not too unrealistic as it still a fair bit above the $3.2k of an a7r-II. I guess the 50MP sensor is not too expensive by now considering it's used everywhere so I think a price that low is feasible from a manufacturing aspect. What they need is to believe they can reach a high sales volume, and I think there is a hunger for this type of system so it is possible. I think most consumers will see it as a competitor to the a7r-ii and other hig res 135 cameras rather than the big gun MFD SLRs.

CSP

These rumours do seem quite likely, and Hasselblad probably knew about it and thus it was important for them to announce first.

It shall be interesting to see if it will have focal plane shutter or not, which is the big thing for making the camera an all-arounder or not. The X1D's lack of FPS was a disappointment to franken-camera builders, but on the other hand it made the X1D more compact and robust and anyone shooting native lenses prefers leaf shutters of course.

Price will be interesting too, my guess is that it will be similar priced to the 645z ($7k), but I wouldn't mind yet a new price revolution bringing down it to say $5k which is not too unrealistic as it still a fair bit above the $3.2k of an a7r-II. I guess the 50MP sensor is not too expensive by now considering it's used everywhere so I think a price that low is feasible from a manufacturing aspect. What they need is to believe they can reach a high sales volume, and I think there is a hunger for this type of system so it is possible. I think most consumers will see it as a competitor to the a7r-ii and other hig res 135 cameras rather than the big gun MFD SLRs.
what i heard again is that the fuji will be the same camera as the hasselblad and we should not expect a much lower price point. if this is true we will see in a few month.....

Paul2660

It will be an interesting camera for sure, personally I can't see them using the same frame as the X1D, I don't see why Hasselblad would allow that. I also really hope Fuji leaves off x-trans on this camera.

Odds are C1 will not support it, (due to their policy of not supporting other brands of MF cameras), LR has a not so good raw conversion for x-trans and seems not too interested in improving it. C1, has an excellent one, but that's moot.

The other players, Iridient, Silkypix, Photoninja don't offer the additional tools that LR and C1 have.

But still looking forward to what Fuji brings to market.

After 07/07/16 and the X-t2 announcement, expect to start seeing some "leaked" shots of the new Fuji.

Paul C

Pradeep

It is inevitable that another company launches a similar product. I am waiting for Pentax to do it although somehow I think Fuji will beat them to it. When Sony produces their version it will become even more interesting.

In the end, I am really waiting for a 100MP MF sensor, a true 645 in a small body. That would be something to lust for.

tcdeveau

Fuji and Sony have been rumored to be producing a MF camera for well over 2 years now (example sources here and here). At this point, I've grown pretty numb to the rumors and I'll believe it when I see it. If X-T2 leaks are any indication, we should start seeing prototype leaks over at FujiRumors soon if Fuji does intend to annonce a MF camera at Photokina. The timing definitely seems good for an X1D competitor from either camp so we'll see. Given the amount of interest the X1D generated, I'm sure Fuji and Sony are paying attention to MF now if they haven't been already. I'm hoping to see some announcements as more options/competition is a good thing for us. Regardless, as Graham said above, there hasn't been a better time to be a photog (at least in the digital age)....the amount of insanely capable already (or soon-to-be) available camera systems out there is staggering.