The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Some reflections on my V-series Hasselblad/P45 kit…

Seascape

As the owner of a Hassy V/P45 kit, a Leica M240 and Monochrom, I can only say that the results I get (using Capture One), exceed anything I can hang on my wall.
At this point a 24" wide print is my largest, and I'm fast running out of wall space.

Neither the the P45 or Leica rigs are taxed by a 24" wide print, and my printer of choice agrees totally.

I would say lens quality and technique do factor in as well as focus accuracy. I only have 3 V lenses and all perform extremely well (50 FLE, 120 Macro, 180 CFI).
I have found even with a 5 series carbon fibre tripod, and a very heavy AS head, that mirror lock up is an absolute necessity to get the best results from the V optics.
Additionally I use the highest magnification viewfinder with an adjustable diopter.

While the P45 will never duplicate the Leica spontaneity in shooting, I am very satisfied with the Hassy V/P45 kit and do not see the need for a higher MP sensor for medium format shooting :thumbs:

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

My hunch of a feeling is that I get about the same image quality from my 24 MP Sony that I got from 6x7 Velvia scanned on my Dimage Scan Multi Pro. In one case I happened to compare two 70cm x 100cm prints shot from the same place with ten years in between and the Velvia and the 24 MP Sony image was very similar.

With around 40 MP I expect a little bit more.

When I got my first 24 MP 135 camera I did compare A2 size prints (16"x23") between my 24 MP full frame and 12 MP APS-C. What I saw that the 24 MP prints were better, but not a lot of difference. In a case I couldn't tell them apart. In the files there was a lot of advantage to the larger format.

Moving up to 39MP I could not observe any difference in prints at A2 size, unless I used a loupe. Eye sight may matter… So, I absolutely think that a good 24MP camera is good enough for excellent A2-size prints.

The issues I can see with the Distagons and the Planars 80 and 120 may not be visible in A2-size prints. Printing larger, some issues may be visible, but I don't think they would matter.

Accurate focusing is easiest using magnified live view. It seems, from what Hasselblad H owners say that the H-system has very accurate AF.

Best regards
Erik

I've shot large and medium format film for most of my professional life with many cameras. I have shot the same camera and lenses on my Linhof Techno with both MF film and digital. I learnt very quickly that digital capture stresses the lenses far more than film ever does. With my lenses on MF film, I could go right out to the edge of the IC and see almost no image degradation. Film grain hid a multitude of sins, and looks attractive, even on big prints. With digital I can clearly see when I've missed focus a fraction and when the lenses are stressed, even in moderately sized prints and when shooting at f11. Like it or not – and I don't like it as I was dragged into the digital realm kicking and screaming – things have got more complicated in my transition to digital. I'm not obsessed with achieving perfect everything by any stretch of the imagination, but at the same time I paid a massive chunk of change for my digital gear and I want to get the best out of it or at least equal what I got from what I was using before.

Stefan Steib

Hi Erik

the Zeiss Distagon 4/40 IF is delivering a much better sharpness than the older floating version.(we use it for our Zeiss Superrotator, Sinar has used it for the M as digital lens)
But using it only in the center and putting it on a Sony A7RII will further improve output.
Zeiss has measured the 4/40IF with 200lp/mm@15% contrast and it IS crazy sharp.
But - for a wider image the Canon f4/16-35mm is perfect. It also has a very usable angle of beams when shooting into direct light, being very
resistant to flare compared e.g. with the TSE24mm /there is some light pingpong happening back from the sensor to adapter and back to the sensor.

About the DR of Digital compared to Velvia 6/7: that is a tricky question. I´d say a good Highend drumscanner scan like from a Linotype/Hell could "maybe"surpass the digital file.
But not with a normal flatbed or even with a Nikon Slidescanner. Just a feeling . It is already such a long time ago and I never really tried that.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

jotloob

Subscriber Member
. . . . . .
. . . . . .
Yes it is CRAZY SHARP but it is also a monster in weight and size .
The image is part of my camera portrait project . The ACRATECH head is beautiful but I use it for that project only .

IMG_0023.JPG

Pradeep

Hi,

My hunch of a feeling is that I get about the same image quality from my 24 MP Sony that I got from 6x7 Velvia scanned on my Dimage Scan Multi Pro. In one case I happened to compare two 70cm x 100cm prints shot from the same place with ten years in between and the Velvia and the 24 MP Sony image was very similar.

With around 40 MP I expect a little bit more.

When I got my first 24 MP 135 camera I did compare A2 size prints (16"x23") between my 24 MP full frame and 12 MP APS-C. What I saw that the 24 MP prints were better, but not a lot of difference. In a case I couldn't tell them apart. In the files there was a lot of advantage to the larger format.

Moving up to 39MP I could not observe any difference in prints at A2 size, unless I used a loupe. Eye sight may matter… So, I absolutely think that a good 24MP camera is good enough for excellent A2-size prints.

The issues I can see with the Distagons and the Planars 80 and 120 may not be visible in A2-size prints. Printing larger, some issues may be visible, but I don't think they would matter.

Accurate focusing is easiest using magnified live view. It seems, from what Hasselblad H owners say that the H-system has very accurate AF.

Best regards
Erik
I think the kind of photography one prefers would mandate the camera equipment, IMHO. Thus, if you are able to take it slow and make a deliberate image with the camera on the tripod, with careful attention to focus even if it is manually done, then yes, an APS-C size sensor with 24MP would be enough for most printing needs.

The problem is when you may need to crop the image taken on such a sensor and if there is not enough light and tripods are not possible. That's when having the luxury of high resolution and larger sensors comes into play. I often find myself cropping, sometimes throwing away as much as 50% of the image in order to get the composition right. Yes, the best strategy would be to get it right in camera, but it is often just not possible when the subject is moving about or you are rushed to take the photo because of rapidly changing light conditions or distractions that are moving into your fov. You need to leave a lot of room for possible action and to orient the subject in the frame in a pleasing manner. Having the Sony A7RII or my Pentax 645z makes a big difference in such instances.

So yes, if the final image is the size of an APS-C sensor at 20+ MP, it is enough for a decent sized print. It is getting there that may require a larger sensor.

ErikKaffehr

Hi Stefan,

I am aware of the Distagon 40/4 IF being vastly superior to the FLE. I have indicated that before, in what happens to be posting #1 on this thread. But, it is not the Distagon I have, it is the CF/FLE version.

What I see is that all the Distagons I had, 40/4 FLE, 50/4 FLE and 60/3.5 loose quite a lot of sharpness off axis. That doesn't mean they are bad just that they don't match the Distagon 40/4 IF.

I feel it is good info, that should be shared.

I have both the 16-35/4 and the 24/3.5 TSE LII, i very clearly feel the 16-35/4L is the better one at 24 mm.

For me, the Sony A7rII is sort of a pretty smart option. It can take a lot of lenses. With the HCam Master TSII I can shoot a three way shift stitch, so it works like an 80 MP 36x48 camera. It can also shift and tilt and all that in a pocket size package. You can of course put a 4/3 or APS-C camera on the Master TS, too.

Best regards
Erik

Hi Erik

the Zeiss Distagon 4/40 IF is delivering a much better sharpness than the older floating version.(we use it for our Zeiss Superrotator, Sinar has used it for the M as digital lens)
But using it only in the center and putting it on a Sony A7RII will further improve output.
But - for a wider image the Canon f4/16-35mm is perfect. It also has a very usable angle of beams when shooting into direct light, being very
resistant to flare compared e.g. with the TSE24mm /there is some light pingpong happening back from the sensor to adapter and back to the sensor.

About the DR of Digital compared to Velvia 6/7: that is a tricky question. I´d say a good Highend drumscanner scan like from a Linotype/Hell could "maybe"surpass the digital file.
But not with a normal flatbed or even with a Nikon Slidescanner. Just a feeling . It is already such a long time ago and I never really tried that.

Greetings from Germany
Stefan

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Re: Putting things a little bit in perspective

Hi,

When I got my Canon 16-35/L for the Sony A7rII I did a few comparisons with the Hassy P45+ combo. The Canon 16-35/4L is a remarkably good lens.
>> Blahblahblah <<
Now, this is all pixel peeping.
Exactly, and that's the point you seem to be missing. At pixel comparisons, you will find m4/3 lens/cam combos that will beat mf/db combos. But when taken as a whole in an actual image you want to pay to have printed and hung, it's hard to beat the total impact the mfdb combo generates. I'll go out on a limb and say I've never made even one big print from my D810 and best glass that has the impact even my early P45+ prints do, let alone my 60 and 80 MP backs and mf do.
I am absolutely sure that I could make an absolutely good A2 size print from that Distagon / P45+ image. Would it hold for 30"x40"? I guess so.
yeah it would, and if you compared it head to head with your 16-35/sony, you'd see more tonal smoothness, more subtle color gradations and probably an overall more pleasing print in general than the sony/canon combo. But you can't judge it well by comparing corners at actual pixel view.

Have fun,

jng

My take-away from Erik's posts here and elsewhere is that he isn't feeling the medium format magic, and as an engineer he is sharing his quantitative investigations to account for his experience. As a scientist myself I have no quarrel with this. And yet...

Sensor technology has certainly come a long way to narrow the gap between formats. One can certainly create stunning images with just about any format in use today. But as Jack points out, the end result often involves more than just megapixels and resolution. The tonality of the images is in a different league when one steps up from 135 to medium format. This was/is true for film and it's still true for digital. IMHO the bottom line is the same: size matters. I'm not saying that MF will always give you a "better" image - it's far more complicated than that and different situations are often best served using different tools. But at the limit (e.g., when printing big), there's more goodness to be found in those big MF files, if one is inclined to go after it. Some people talk about the medium format "look." I find that images I make using medium format can have that "je ne sais quoi" feel about them. This is all subjective, of course. YMMV.

Jamgolf

With proliferation of image making devices (phones) and their increasing capabilities, many photographers & photography enthusiasts are conflicted/frustrated. Photographic prints are no longer made and images are mostly shared/viewed/consumed via electronic devices. For such electronic consumption it essentially matters very little which image making device (DSLR/MF or even a Phone) is used. Consumption of mementos simply will no longer be via print, as electronic media offer a far more convenient viewing/sharing experience.

The difference between photographic print and a photographic image/memento is the key.
Photographic Print is the real justification for medium/large format.

IMHO - those who are clear on this point can avoid the anxiety & frustration.

Last edited:
The difference between photographic print and a photographic image/memento is the key.
Photographic Print is the real justification for medium/large format.

IMHO - those who are clear on this point can avoid the anxiety & frustration.
Agree on this point. Nevertheless, monitors getting better every year. With 5K monitors (15MP) a la Apple we are already approaching resolution limits of digital cameras (doubling that we would have 60MP). Question is wether the MF magic will be visible on that kind of monitors as it is with print; I assume yes.

Seascape

Exactly, and that's the point you seem to be missing. At pixel comparisons, you will find m4/3 lens/cam combos that will beat mf/db combos. But when taken as a whole in an actual image you want to pay to have printed and hung, it's hard to beat the total impact the mfdb combo generates. I'll go out on a limb and say I've never made even one big print from my D810 and best glass that has the impact even my early P45+ prints do, let alone my 60 and 80 MP backs and mf do.

yeah it would, and if you compared it head to head with your 16-35/sony, you'd see more tonal smoothness, more subtle color gradations and probably an overall more pleasing print in general than the sony/canon combo. But you can't judge it well by comparing corners at actual pixel view.
I have been meaning to include comments on the ultimate "where the rubber hits the road" result……..The Print.

I my experience the final creative exercise starts when the printing begins.
I use an extremely talented printer, who just blows me away with his end product, that is not a straight file to print transition.
There is a tremendous amount of creativity in the process.
While I respect his talent, I do not quiz him on how the results are achieved, it is his livelihood, and I am thrilled with the results up to whatever size print is made.

I agree with Jack absolutely that a P45 is capable of stunning large prints, results that may not be obvious at the pixel level.

Last edited:

Jamgolf

Agree on this point. Nevertheless, monitors getting better every year. With 5K monitors (15MP) a la Apple we are already approaching resolution limits of digital cameras (doubling that we would have 60MP). Question is wether the MF magic will be visible on that kind of monitors as it is with print; I assume yes.
Yes, bigger monitors will be another medium for displaying an image and possibly the MF difference might still be evident there.
However - a print is the real thing. We've all activated a camera's shutter hundreds of thousands of times (or more) - but we can't even remember/find a fraction of those images.
IMHO - a print is real, it hangs on a wall to be seen and appreciated. An image is seen and "liked" on social media and then mostly forgotten.

tjv

I said something to this effect in another thread, but I'll restate and elaborate here...

Right now I use a Linhof Techno and Credo 60. I don't have any other form of camera save for my iPhone (which I love.) I bought my Techno when I was still shooting film only, scanning with an Imacon. I wanted to retain the workflow and tactile feel I was used to with a Linhof Technika 4x5" camera, but "invest" in a system that was up to digital when I could afford to go that way.

Reading many threads here and elsewhere in the past, one would think that it is impossible to focus a Techno on GG and that compared to an Alpa it's a piece of crap. In reality, it's very easy to focus accurarely on the GG and offers many creative options in terms of movments that don't come easy with other systems, or at least come at insane prices. It's a given that by design it's not as tight in tolerances than some of the competition (namely parallelism of the front standard,) but in use, where working aperture is between f8 and f16, it's more than adequate. Suffice to say I have never noticed any image degradation that can be blamed on anything but user error.

How does this relate to the V series? Lets assume that one has a V body and lenses that are "in spec", is using the Acute Matte screen and a tripod, and is employing a deliberate workflow. I can't see how one wouldn't arrive at great results with knowledge and practice. If you want to use it handheld and in fading light; or you want to shoot hand held wide open portraits, etc., then you've got the wrong tool for the job. It's all about expectations, isn't it? With the correct selection of lenses and working methods, in the right set of use cases – just like my Techno is not intended to be used for everything – I can't see how a V camera wouldn't produce great results.

ErikKaffehr

Hi Jack,

I have used the P45+ in parallel with my Sonys for three years. Just to say, I am not stupid, I don't do pixel based comparison between sensors of different MPs (*). I have not done m 4/3 comparisons with MFD. What I have done was to compare systems I actually use. Not so many comparisons, perhaps half a dozen, and mostly I have done them on prints, too. But prints are hard to share over the internet.

Most of that time I was shooting Alpha 99 (24MP) mostly with the P45+ coming close second and an Alpha 77 (APS-C) being far third.

Normally I print A2 (16" x 23"), for practical reasons. I have also made some larger prints, typically 70cm x 100cm. But, most of my printing comes from the Sonys as I have limited wall space. That may change, though, as I may be invited to decorate a large wall space. It may be that quite a few P45+ images may be hung there.

Anyway, at A2 size I have not seen an advantage for the P45+ vs the 24MP Sony Alpha 99, with the naked eye. With a 5X loupe I could see the P45+ image was superior.

I have taken the "pixel peeping image" and made a 50% crop that I printed in A2 size, that corresponds to roughly 80cm x 120cm, 31"x47" or so.

Processing was essentially identical, both images developed in Lightroom CC 2015.6 using DCP camera profiles generated by DCamProf. (I copied all image processing settings from the P45+ image to the A7rII image, except WB and Camera Profile. After that I made the Sony A7rII image slightly warmer and decreased exposure 0.05EV.)

Viewed at say 1.2m distance, I would say the prints were near identical. There may be small differences in colour rendition, even if I would say colours were almost identical.

Viewed closer say 0.4-0.6m the central part was quite similar, very sharp in both cases. Off center the Sony was clearly superior, essentially offering a sharp image.

So, I would say that I would be happy to hang either on the wall, but for close inspection the Sony image is clearly superior.

Judging after a single copy of the lens may not be just, but I have trough three Distagons, the 40/4 CF FLE, the 50/4 CF FLE and the 60/3.5CF and all had a similar weakness. This can also be seen in Hasselblad's and Zeiss own MTF curves. The weakness of the 40/4 CF FLE was the probable cause that Zeiss developed the Distagon 40/4 CFE IF, I would guess.

Now, the images were processed in Lightroom, which I am aware is regarded to be the ultimate sin by Phase One users. But, Lightroom has been my workflow tool since it's inception. I did not find that Capture one worked well for me for the versions I have tested.

Just to say, not everyone loves P45+ colour rendition. Tim Parkin and his friend Joe Cornish had serious issues with P45+ colour rendition, from a mail by Tim Parkin:

"I spoke with Joe about the P45 endlessly and he had a whole workflow to try to 'fix' the colour which all went out of the window when the IQ180 came in. He now does almost nothing to the files to get what he wants. It's definitely mostly grassy stuff but quite often skies and reflected colour that are problematic. Also shadows in geology can be an issue (I presume infra red effects as well).

They're not a problem for some subjects and an absolute nightmare for others. I can still 'see' Joe's P45+ files as long as they have some greenery in them (or sometimes from the sky). "

Joe Cornish is featured in some of the Phase One videos, like this one: https://youtu.be/2KFCCw4YA-0

So, my experience differs from yours. What I could see in my pixel peeping is very obvious in decent size prints if viewed close. That is close, not extremely close. Close viewing, the Sony wins on knock out.

It is a good time to get feet wet in MFD as used backs have dropped to affordable price levels. Most Hasselblad lenses are quite affordable with the Distagon 40/4 CF FLE being on the expensive side. The Distagon 40/4 CFE IF is rare and priced in the "Otus range". Discussing strengths and weaknesses of different lenses is a good thing in my view, as all Hasselblad lenses are not created equal.

No doubt, the new H-series lenses are better with possible some exceptions.

Best regards
Erik

(*) The correct way to that in my view is to scale the image to a reasonable PPI for a give print size. What I have found that 180 PPI is a pretty good reference when viewed on screen at actual pixels.

Have fun,

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

Yes, printing hides a lot of weaknesses of an image. An image that is almost there on screen, at actual pixels, can make a perfect print. But, the actual pixels is the real image. The printing process rescales the image, sharpens it, rasterises it and dithers it. That said, the printing process does a very good job at transferring image detail.

Best regards
Erik

I agree with Jack absolutely that a P45 is capable of stunning large prints, results that may not be obvious at the pixel level.

Seascape

Now, the images were processed in Lightroom, which I am aware is regarded to be the ultimate sin by Phase One users. But, Lightroom has been my workflow tool since it's inception. I did not find that Capture one worked well for me for the versions I have tested.

I only used Capture One, I find it superior to any other processor of RAW files……by a large margin!

I am talking Ver. 8 or the current Ver. 9, and I certainly would never use anything other than C1 for a Phase One back…..YMMV.

When ver. 8 was released it was considered 30%+ better than previous versions of C1, a total redesign of the way it processes files.
I would highly recommend it or Ver. 9 to anyone, not just for Phase gear. It is my go to for Leica M files as well.....love the results!!

Last edited:

ErikKaffehr

Comparing "large" prints...

Hi,

A bit agitated by Jack's comment I made a pair of large prints from both my sample images. How large? around 80cm x 120cm, that is 31"x47". At that size the images were very close in most respects but at bit away from the centre the Sony won hands down. The prints looked very close to what I have seen on the screen.

Viewed at longer distance, like 1m (or so) the image looked very similar, I could not tell them apart.

Just to say, I did not print the full image, I took 50% crops and printed at A2 size, using as much of the surface as possible. I kept processing between the two systems almost identical. (Copied image settings from P45+ image to Sony image, except WB, used DCampProf generated profile, warmed up the Sony image a notch and reduced contrast on the Sony image a notch, also adjusted exposure -0.05 EV on the Sony).

They used to say that around 180 PPI is needed for excellent prints. That corresponds "exactly" to 20/20 vision at 50 cm. So if you look at a 180 PPI print at 50 cm you can essentially see all pixels.

Both sensors have around 5400 vertical pixels. If you multiple 31" with 180 PPI you arrive at 5580 pixels. So, if you look at an 31"x47" print from either a P45+ or a Sony A7rII you see the same as actual pixels on screen. If you print smaller, the prints will show less detail than what the camera delivers. That also applies if you view farther than 50 cm away.

The Distagon 40/4 is the weakest of my lenses. The Sonnar 180/4 and the Planar 100/3.5 are really shining. The reason I used the Distagon 40/4 in this comparison was simply because it worked for the subject. The lens I compared with was the Canon 16-35/4L on the Sony, a remarkable good and affordable lens, offering a quite generous shift over much of the focal range when used on my HCam Master TSII.

One of the reasons I make this kind of comparisons is to find out the strengths and benefits of both systems.

Best regards
Erik

Last edited:

tjv

I just want to add to my post above that I've found this thread informative and thank all those who have contributed thoughts, information and ideas. I've been reluctant to dip my toes in the V system water (despite thinking it the most elegant system for film use,) and the info here has made me think I'll try it out so I can use my Credo on a different platform when the Techno is overkill.

jng

I just want to add to my post above that I've found this thread informative and thank all those who have contributed thoughts, information and ideas. I've been reluctant to dip my toes in the V system water (despite thinking it the most elegant system for film use,) and the info here has made me think I'll try it out so I can use my Credo on a different platform when the Techno is overkill.
Choose your lenses well and I think you'll find that the Credo will sing on a V system. Good luck!

- John

JohnBrew

Not sure it matters. All that will do is satisfy the pixel peepers. Yes, it might be about resolution but what about tonality? What about the print? This seems a bit off topic, maybe best addressed in a separate thread?