The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Do You Own A PLB/EPIRB?

rga

As I'm mostly a MF Alpa shooter, I thought I'd post this question on this forum. I often find myself in locations far from cell coverage and carry a PLB (Personal Locater Beacon) with me for emergencies. My current PLB has passed its expected battery life (5 years) and I either need to buy a new one or have the battery replaced by the manufacturer.

If anyone feels there is a PLB (or EPIRB) that you bought because it seemed better than most, I'd really appreciate your thoughts. Prices have come down to about $250 ($50/annum for the 5 year battery life), so it may be more worthwhile to jump on 5 year newer technology. Any thoughts or experiences you share would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks all,
Bob

ChrisLivsey

As I'm mostly a MF Alpa shooter, I thought I'd post this question on this forum. I often find myself in locations far from cell coverage and carry a PLB (Personal Locater Beacon) with me for emergencies. My current PLB has passed its expected battery life (5 years) and I either need to buy a new one or have the battery replaced by the manufacturer.

If anyone feels there is a PLB (or EPIRB) that you bought because it seemed better than most, I'd really appreciate your thoughts. Prices have come down to about $250 ($50/annum for the 5 year battery life), so it may be more worthwhile to jump on 5 year newer technology. Any thoughts or experiences you share would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks all,
Bob
A colleague is looking at one of these or similar for Nepal later this year, two way texting by satellite the phones being still silly.
DeLorme inReach - Two-way satellite text messaging, tracking and SOS anywhere in the world
Found the other he mentioned, standard batteries:SPOT Gen3

Last edited:

Pelorus

I carry a PLB with me in my "camera bag" - whatever that may be on the day. I think it's really important to separate out the use cases here.

If you are wanting a distress beacon, for use in emergencies only then go with a GPS equipped PLB. If you want tracking and messaging then one of the other options suggested above may be appropriate. Just don't expect one of the latter to do the job of a dedicated PLB.

This site is the Australian regulator. If you are an Australian user then you have to register your beacon with AMSA. The reason I give the link is that they often have info on recalls and other interesting stuff about beacons.

I have a GME MT410G, in fact I have 3 of them. I like them a lot and they are easy to throw into a bag, or into a seat pocket or to hang around your neck.

MILESF

I've just come across this thread from a while ago when looking for something else.

I have/had an EPIRB on my boat. Too big to hand carry but installed near the companionway in case we hit trouble. I also have four PLB's which I insisted that everyone on baord wear at night and/or in bad weather. It's one thing to do a man overboard drill in calm weather and warm water. It's quite a different thing to have to get someone back on board in rough weather/strong winds and I'm glad never to have needed to try. I bought them after talking to someone whose life had been saved when he triggered the PLB after the keel of his boat fell off.

I also have a DeLorme InReach which I can use as a tracker eg in Antarctica or when sailing off-shore. My daughter also took it when hiking on her own in northern Sweden. It enables short text messages e.g "Weather bad but all safe".

My inclination if hiking off the beaten track with a camera would be to take the DeLorme. An SOS message would be routed by DeLorme to your nominated contacts. A PLB would certainly connect to maritime search and rescue but I am not sure how it would work on land. It might be fine but it is really only for SOS puposes so if buying one coverage would need to be checked and confirmed for the territory that you are visiting.