The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alpa 3D printed tech camera lens hoods

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I was wondering if anyone has tried the Alpa 3d printed dedicated lens hoods? In particular for the 32HR Rodenstock with movements.

Curious as to the fit and feel of the hood. I have the variable fit hood but it's a bit of a faff to put on / off at times so mostly stays off when it should be on! Given the investment these things require due to Alpa pixie dust and handcrafting by swiss gnomes on their additive 3d printer, I'd really like to get some feedback from any other users before I decide that my flare problem reqiures a $400 flare fix.

Anyone? By all means PM if you'd rather not share here.

Thanks

M

mjr

Graham, Dan Lindberg is using at least one, he has posted some pictures of it on here but can't find the post, might be worth dropping him a line. I priced them up but too expensive for me, they look great though.

Mat

danlindberg

Yes indeed, I am using it on my 32Hr and cannot imagine 'not' use it anymore. Perfect fit, easy to put on and take off, yet snug and safe fit.

I have lately not really needed large amounts of shift with the 32, so I don't think I have exceeded 10mm of shift and thus far the shade has never come into play.

What I have found is that I actually get a little better contrast even with lightsource behind me. This lens is slightly more sensitive than my Helvetar 75 where I cannot detect any difference in contrast as long as I flag it, but not so with the 32.

Amazing how quickly you get used to something when it works, should I not mount the shade now it would look and feel as the lens was naked.

Love it :)

GrahamWelland

Thanks Dan.

So the hood itself is soft and pliable enough to easily mount / dismount without worrying about getting loose over time? That was my concern.

I love the 32HR but it does pick up stray light easily and recently I've been getting a lot of practice removing the odd rogue purple flare.

I have the Alpa PLS 70-75mm variable hood but I really don't like using it and I'm sure that at some point I'll lose one of the rubber grips out in the field too. I might just have to bite the bullet and get the new hood instead. The 32HR is practically a lens cap on my Actus DB anyway so it's the lens most in need of help all the time.

danlindberg

Actually, I'll test a 15mm shift this evening after work to see if it interferes at all. I wouldn't think so...

As to fit over time, obviously time can only tell but it feels excellent and I'm confident in recommending it.

Paul2660

Does the hood for the 32mm allow for the center filter? 105mm, or does it only fit the 86mm filter size of the 32mm before CF?

It appears not to hold any filters, but was curious about that also.

Thanks
Paul C

GrahamWelland

From the data I have from Alpa it doesn't look like they have a hood to fit the 105mm CF filter. That said, they can make anything if needed since they are 3D printed.

@Dan, if you have a chance could you let me know the diameter of the front portion of the hood? I use a Cambo Actus DB+ which has the tilt/swing assembly below the lens barrel and so the large front of the filter needs to clear that. Alpa don't quote the dimensions so it's hard to know ahead of time if it'll interfere there.

Jamgolf

Graham thanks for starting this thread and
Dan thanks for sharing your feedback.

I've thought about getting this hood for 32HR but it seems it can only be used when the Center Filter is not being used.
So for now, I am holding off hoping that Alpa may make a version that works with the CF (slim chance).

In the mean time I'm using my hands to shade the lens (with sub par success rate). Being aware of the flare possibility has helped me on a couple of occasions. Shading with hands, lcc plate, or changing the composition ever so slightly to avoid flare are some of the things I am doing to mitigate/avoid flare.

I feel the CF increases the possibility of flare. I have no proof of this other than the fact that I did not experience ANY flare with 32HR until I started using the CF.

I did not have a CF for 32HR for almost a year, but I've started using it and I like the resulting even-exposure across the frame.
So at this time, between CF and the shade, I am choosing the CF.

I might do some A/B testing with/without CF...

Paul2660

Another option is the Lee SW150 if you want to use filters.

Works with 86mm filter size of 32 HR-W or 105mm diameter of the CF with with Lee wide angle ring. It does add more weight to the front of the lens considerably more than the Alpa hood put about the same cost.

I agree that is you shift on the 32mm the CF adds a huge benefit in that the exposure compensation is impressive.

Paul C