The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone use an HDMI screen instead of LV with XF+IQ100?

algrove

Perhaps Capture Pilot with iPhone works, but wanted to know which if any HDMI screens work best and how do you fix them on your tripod? Also what size seems about right? I am sure I have missed some questions, but you must get the idea, should I try one? TIA

Jamgolf

In post #18 of this thread Ken mentioned he uses SmallHD with side finder.
Sounds like an option that might interest you.

Cheers!

kdphotography

See, 5-inch, Full HD on-camera monitors with brilliant displays and a desirable form factor.

Also available at Dante's store, B&H. :D SmallHD 5" 501 hdmi monitor works great paired with the Sidefinder. Although the larger real estate of the 7" monitor is great (we had both the 5" and 7" Small HD monitors at our last CI in Carmel), the 5" is plenty good enough, and when considering portability and the Sidefinder option, it was a no-brainer for me.

If you need the power of C1 Pro, then tethering via USB3 is the best option. And if on location, the Surface Pro works great.

I used my Surface Pro clamp endeavors to come up with what I think is the easiest, most compact, and relatively inexpensive option to attach my SmallHD monitor and Sidefinder to my tripod. I attach a AS quick release plate to the Sidefinder. A Manfrotto nanoclamp attaches to the tripod leg. I use gaffers tape on the leg for scuff protection and added grip. Giottos MH1304 ballhead (RRS BH25 would be stronger), and a AS compatible lever clamp on top. Manfrotto clamp just works on a RRS 3 series TVC tripod leg. :eek:

kenView attachment 120152

algrove

Ken

Sounds like you've got it dialed in for sure. I was looking at a new Ikan 7" 4K monitor which has focus peaking (besides the camera), many controls and thought if I wanted to magnify a portion of an image I would just use my Hoodman loupe which I always use in any event just in case monitor glare was a problem. This is a new item at B&H and not yet on their list of monitors as yet. Maybe a 7" is overkill, but I do suffer from bad eyesight. Any thoughts? TIA

kdphotography

The SmallHD has focus peaking as well. You can attach up to two batteries---same type used by the Canon 5D camera, which makes it easy to maintain with generic inexpensive replacements from Wasabi, available at Amazon---that other official Dante Store. ;)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
All I would add, since this is dantes forum, is that if you're invested in the IQ3100 you shouldn't go cheap on a connected display. The smallHD devices are excellent.

i tried the wireless option too and was very impressed. When (not if ... Ken/Don :) ) I eventually get an iq3 100 for myself (vs using someone else's), I'll be getting the smallHD 501 & viewfinder although I know that some of the time the iPad/iPhone will do just fine.

Last edited:

MILESF

Apologies if this is a dumb question but why not simply mount a 501 on the camera hot or cold shoe and connect via HDMI ? I'm thinking XF or Rm3di and an IQ-3100. (There is an A-S cold shoe adapter for the Rm3di).

Does the Sidefinder simply give better viewing in bright light and a variety of other mounting options ?

Smallhd's videos tend to assume a video use case and dealers here don't seem to have demo stock.

Thanks.

Last edited:

kdphotography

You certainly could attach the 501 SmallHD to the hotshoe----but being *ahem* height challenged, this would place the monitor slightly higher than optimal for me, though it could be angled downward. Matter of preference really. But the real advantage is being able to place and use the Sidefinder in a more accessible position. The Sidefinder basically allows avoiding glare which is the achilles heel to any device monitor in bright conditions.

There are many different options to attaching the SmallHD, many of which are seen/listed on the SmallHD website and videos. The best one is simply what works best with your rig!

Ken:)

GrahamWelland

You certainly could attach the 501 SmallHD to the hotshoe----but being *ahem* height challenged, this would place the monitor slightly higher than optimal for me ...

Ken:)
Ken, it's ok, we all have these challenges ... I'm not too proud to go for some vertical enhancement at times. My solution is the Pelican 1510 :thumbup::ROTFL:

Attachments

Jamgolf

I have not yet utilized IQ3-100's HDMI out functionality but I'd like to do so and am considering available options.
If anyone has used the Zacuto Gratical, I'd very much appreciate to hear thoughts/experiences on that.
How does it compare to using a Surface Pro, or SmallHD etc. ?
The main idea is to be able to focus extremely precisely in bright conditions, when LCD screen or Surface Pro just get washed out.

I've read good things about Zacuto's image quality, but its 1:1 would be much less than the IQ3-100's 100%.
Would it be better to get a LCD loupe such as Zacuto Z Finder, instead of an EVF such as Zacuto Gratical ?

Thanks in advance.

GrahamWelland

I've used the SmallHD 502 with sidefinder a few times. Quality is good but utility for me is limited since you can only zoom in the back HDMI in the center of the frame. Unlike LV where you can move around at 100%, You are restricted to the central region.

I end up using the LCD with either hoodman or Rodenstock optical viewfinders. It's a shame because I would use hdmi for focus peaking but the subject often isn't in the center of the frame. It still works across the frame - just not quite as useful vs the bulk/inconvenience as I thought.

Last edited:

vonalpen

I bought a Sony FHD5 for my IQ3 100, which works just fine, attached directly on the standard hot shoe adapter which I have on my ALPA.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1162970-REG/sony_clmfhd5_clip_on_5_inch_full.html
The included shoe mount and sun hood work really well outdoors, and the necessary HDMI cables are in the box as well.
But I don't use it very often anymore, as it means lugging around more gear, including other batteries.
Precise focussing on the IQ3 100 can easily be attained at 100% magnification (I use the screen in b&w mode, which gives better contrast for focussing), but you obvisously have to use some sort of a LCD-loupe.
I use the HoodLoupe (by Hoodman), which doesn't actually magnify but it's diopter correction works perfect for me, and it's lightweight.

Best

Jamgolf

SmallHD 502 ... you can only zoom in the back HDMI in the center of the frame. Unlike LV where you can move around at 100%, You are restricted to the central ...
Thanks for sharing your experience with SmallHD, Graham.
That sounds like a big limitation. Personally, I would rule out SmallHD based on that.
With tilt I'd want to see the near and far areas to assess sharp focus.

I'm not sure but I think Zacuto allows focusing in on any part of the image.

Jamgolf

I use the HoodLoupe (by Hoodman), which doesn't actually magnify but it's diopter correction works perfect for me, and it's lightweight.
I have not tried B&W mode for focus. Thanks for that suggestion.
I think a loupe is most logical thing to get. Light weight & no batteries.
I just want to see if the hdmi out feature is something that can be used conveniently for more consistent focussing while using tilts.

algrove

I bought a Sony FHD5 for my IQ3 100, which works just fine, attached directly on the standard hot shoe adapter which I have on my ALPA.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1162970-REG/sony_clmfhd5_clip_on_5_inch_full.html
Best
Just wondered if this FHD5 offers magnification anywhere on screen or does it work like other HDMI where one gets the entire monitor view magnified?

I am looking for something that works at extremely low angles where even the XF waist level finder does not offer me enough focus magnification.

GrahamWelland

It's not the SmallHD that can only zoom on center - it's the IQ3100 in hdmi mode. You can take the LCD feed and zoom but that's not the same as 100% sensor zoom.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
I use capture pilot on my iPhone 7+ for almost all composing and focusing now, especially with my tech setup but even with the XF.

Good thread.

Up til now i'd use live preview on the back or tethered to C1...and sometimes an Ipad.

A few weeks back I bought a Neewer NW760 Ultra HD 7" 1920x1200 from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LZNTXKH/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've been using it in the studio with my IQ100 and Cambo Ultima 23 setup. Seems like it does speed up the tilt / swing process. I'm sure the color sucks. But for studio use I really just need something to help with checking focus with camera movements.

Yes, ideally it could be zoomed in and moved around...but for now it's better than nothing. I also reckon if you are going to mess with an HDMI monitor you best go the 1080p route. Some of the monitors available including "some" SmallHD models are not 1080p.

I too have heard great things about the SmallHD line. Seemed like overkill for me though (for what they cost).

Only drawback I've seen with this cheapo model I bought is that it starts draining the battery as soon as you connect it...whether or not you physically turn it on. It lasts an hour or two with moderate use. Not the end of the world I guess.

But may look at other options. I know some will say just buy the SmallHD...it's cheap after the price of the back ;).

Any opinions on other models?

- Jordan