The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any reason Phase does not offer a GPS for the PVF hot flash?

algrove

Sorry should be "hot shoe" not "hot flash". After using the 645Z with its GPS unit I find the Phase system very lacking in this area. If they offered one I would get it in a flash. Extremely useful for landscape photography. Perhaps Phase imagines most use their gear in a studio environment.

Paul2660

Sorry should be "hot shoe" not "hot flash". After using the 645Z with its GPS unit I find the Phase system very lacking in this area. If they offered one I would get it in a flash. Extremely useful for landscape photography. Perhaps Phase imagines most use their gear in a studio environment.
One nice feature Pentax built into the K1. Tech is not that expensive. More than likely will make the next rev of the Phase One CMOS. The K1 has very good signal strength which surprised me.

I wonder if Phase could use the existing wifi to mate with the GPS of a iPhone. Of course that would require a signal from the phone which in many situations is not available.

Paul C

algrove

I know some who take iPhone images when they take an XF photo and then later enters the GPS coordinates in the Metadata. What a pain in this modern age!

At least right now we could have something like the GPS module the 645Z has available that communicates through the hot shoe. Seems simple to have a device and change the FW to accept/recognize it.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
All IQ2 and IQ3 backs can sync with an iPhone to embed GPS data directly in the raw file using Capture Pilot. Works great. Requires nothing on the camera, works immediately upon starting (many stand alone GPS systems take a couple minutes to acquire the satellites after turning on).

For privacy reasons it is off by default.

Paul2660

All IQ2 and IQ3 backs can sync with an iPhone to embed GPS data directly in the raw file using Capture Pilot. Works great. Requires nothing on the camera, works immediately upon starting (many stand alone GPS systems take a couple minutes to acquire the satellites after turning on).

For privacy reasons it is off by default.
This assuming you have cell service? At least with AT&T, as far as I can tell no service means no GPS. iPhone 6+

Paul C

algrove

If you are correct and all else fails I will just use another small camera to at least mark my capture locations. Still a PITA.

Paul2660

A bit more info from Apple:

"yes it is true that the iphone has a dedicated gps recevier and it is also true that some navigation apps like the standard maps app and the garmin navigator need some kind of connection to fetch the map ..

but the gps recevier is a AGPS receiver, this means it has a standard gps receiver but it also uses the cell towers to assist the gps lock and to speed up the locking process. without some kind of conenction to the tower or a wifi connection, a full gps lock can realistically can take 15 or 20 minutes to get, if you do not know where the satellties are. the gps satellites only broadcast once every like 30 seconds? and with 30 of them it means it can take 15 mintues to get them all

the iphone uses the towers and wifi connection to download information on where the satellites are and then looks for them to speed up the gps locking."

So it would appear that if you have enough time the phone will possibly make a gps lock, but it will not be as fast as a traditional GPS. Obviously if you have a data connection of 4G or higher, the GPS should work quickly, but if no cell service is available, then it may take a bit longer.

I guess the GPS is what the star finder apps also use to locate your position under the stars, and I have had times where my apps will hit immediately and other times, can't get a lock on the constellations. So some of the same thing must be going on.

Paul C