The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Arca Swiss Universalis

bomzi

I was wondering if anyone could advise me on the Arca Swiss Universalis system.

I've been shooting 4x5, Sinar F2 and Chamonix 45n2, for a couple of years (mostly architecture). I also use a Canon 6D and a TS-e24 for commissioned work.

The process of image making between these tools is obviously very different and so I've been thinking of switching to one tool that will be able to handle film and MF digital, which brings me to the Universalis.

As I understand it, I can buy the 6x9 Universalis and use my set of 4x5 lenses right away. Later, I could upgrade to a MFDB and add a digital lens or two. I could also add the 4x5 standard/ bellows and ditch my old Sinar.
Does this sound correct?

As I understand it, the Universalis has front rise, orbix tilt and non-geared swing. The rear has rise/fall and shift. Is this correct?

Aside from more movements, does the MF2 have any other advantages? It does seem much heavier so it may not be suited for field work.

Thanks!

You may also want to look at the Cambo Actus. I would talk to Steve Hendrix over at Capture Integration about both. I think you are going to have some challenges with the 6D and wider lens (registration distance is too big with the mirror box on DSLR.) You may have to go with a mirrorless camera or DB to get the wider lenses.

bomzi

I just wanted to clarify that I will not be using the 6D with the Universalis. Will get a MF back at some point.

Thanks for the input, I'll check out the Actus.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I looked at all of the mini view camera systems and in the end chose the actus db/db+. However, had I been an Arca user already then I would probably have gone that route because they have full end to end Arca support.

talk to lance Schad/Doug Peterson at DT for the low down. Lance almost convinced me but I wasn't a current Arca user with lens boards etc so the unique cambo was my choice. Technically I don't think that it matters.