The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The S2 PMA with David Farkas

Stuart Richardson

One thing we are also forgetting is that there is much more to a lens than simply resolution. Distortion, inherent contrast and color balance, vignetting, color fringing, bokeh behavior, ergonomics and build quality -- size and weight....certainly cost. All these things go into a lens and it will be very difficult to see how everything compares until they are available for sale and people start using them. Given my past experience with Leica R and Leica M, as well as Zeiss, Schneider and Mamiya, I am fairly sure Leica will be at least as good, and very likely better than all but the best of the other makers.

If it is priced within reason, I will probably put my money where my mouth is too...

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
IMO although I really appreciate Leica lenses, I have seen a lot of close if not better from Zeiss Schneider and a few others for a lot less money.
So it would be refreshing to see Leica come in within ballpark parity on price unless they really have something with superior visible results.
-bob

carstenw

Has anyone who has tried the S2 also had some experience with the Hasselblad H3DII, and can compare the viewfinders, especially for manual focus? The latter is meant to have the best and brightest viewfinder of the current MF crop, as far as I understand, although I am not sure if that statement includes the Hy6.

harmsr

Workshop Member
Carsten,

I'm late to the party on commenting about the S2 which I REALLY liked.

The H2 viewfinder is slightly brighter. Contrast appeared about the same. Manual focus ability seamed very good on the S2, on par with the Hassy. The S2 viewfinder beat the Mamiya viewfinder by alot.

Best,

Ray

carstenw

...and probably beat the Contax viewfinder by even more. I need to get a Maxwell screen for mine.

I loved manually focusing the R8 with the 180/2. I long for that experience again.