The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Transporting Tech Cam/Lenses

dnercesian

As my new kit will be arriving shortly, I am wondering how you guys transport your Cambo/Alpa/Arca tech cams from job to job. I have been warned to be fairly precious with the 32mm HR due to the size and weight of the elements, so I figure the same rule should apply during transport.

I have been looking (maybe not diligently enough) for a pre-cut hard case, but so far have not been successful. I was starting to consider a pluck & pull Pelican case, but my experience with those is that they can get messy after a while. I was looking at maybe the Pelican cases with the dividers also, and I don't think that is a bad solution for the XF and those lenses, but I am thinking that a little more padding may be useful for the tech stuff.

Thanks for any and all opinions and ideas on this.

stngoldberg

I use a Pelican pluck and pull with my kit which includes the 32mm Rodenstork, 60mm Schneider, 90mm Rodenstork, 120mm Schneider, 240mm Schneider..... works well for me including the back extenders and the rm3di.
Stanley

algrove

As my new kit will be arriving shortly, I am wondering how you guys transport your Cambo/Alpa/Arca tech cams from job to job. I have been warned to be fairly precious with the 32mm HR due to the size and weight of the elements, so I figure the same rule should apply during transport.

I have been looking (maybe not diligently enough) for a pre-cut hard case, but so far have not been successful. I was starting to consider a pluck & pull Pelican case, but my experience with those is that they can get messy after a while. I was looking at maybe the Pelican cases with the dividers also, and I don't think that is a bad solution for the XF and those lenses, but I am thinking that a little more padding may be useful for the tech stuff.

Do not know what exactly you are buying, but do keep in mind that each XF +100 comes with an f-stop backpack insert which is in a Pelican case made for PO. I just put the f-stop ICU into my backpack and carry LOTS of gear in it. When heading to a studio, then the ICU in the Pelican also works great where gear does not have to be moved. The ICU is probably the XL Pro model, but not sure.

I also have Pelican cases with the moveable inserts which work great for any gear instead of other methods that have less flexibility once you have plucked it.

Pelorus

I really feel that you can get too cumbersome with what are reasonably small systems. I use an Ortlieb Soft Shot with my Alpa for a simple carry around kit - a camera, back, lens or two and some accessories.

For a longer more equipped trip I use an Ortlieb Day Shot.

Both are totally waterproof - throw them in the river waterproof - and well padded and robust. Their one drawback is that they are not as easy to access as, say a Billingham 355, but then again the Billinghams aren't, despite claims, terribly waterproof.

dnercesian

Thanks guys, and sorry, I should have been more specific as to what I will be carrying (although I think you guys pretty much nailed it).

Case 1: I don't have a huge kit at the time, but want to leave it expandable for the future.

What I have
Cambo WRS 5000
Rodenstock 32mm
I will probably also keep cables and various accessories in this case.

What I will add
Most likely one or two longer lenses once I do some research to figure out which ones I want. I believe I will go for a 90mm and then something in between, but I do not have experience with the 50, 55, 60, or 70mm lenses to make that decision yet. But either way, I don't think I will ultimately carry more than 3 lenses here.

Additional Case/s:
I will be running 2 digital backs, an XF, a DF+, and 35mm, 55mm, and 80mm lenses. Although I am not sure if I will keep these all in the same case or split them up into two.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Do not know what exactly you are buying, but do keep in mind that each XF +100 comes with an f-stop backpack insert which is in a Pelican case made for PO. I just put the f-stop ICU into my backpack and carry LOTS of gear in it. When heading to a studio, then the ICU in the Pelican also works great where gear does not have to be moved. The ICU is probably the XL Pro model, but not sure.

I also have Pelican cases with the moveable inserts which work great for any gear instead of other methods that have less flexibility once you have plucked it.
Just FYI but the Phase One Pelicon insert is different to the XL Pro. It is a shallower ICU and actually taller than the XL Pro and so will fill a Tilopa or Satori EXP bag to the top. The XL Pro is a little shorter but deeper.

Personally I use an F-Stop Tilopa or Satori with the ICU, until recently mostly the Large or XL Pro ICU but I have a couple of the dedicated Phase One / Pelican ICUs too. Any of these will work fine with the Cambo WRS and lenses. In fact you'll be 'over bagged/inserted' with just the Cambo and a couple of lenses. I always remove the 32HR from the camera and wrap it in a lens wrap and keep it wedged into a partition in the ICU with no opportunity to rattle around when wrapped in the lens wrap. The camera body is basically flat and can be laid flat in the ICU. I would remove the back and use a large Hood Hat cover over it with the plate on the front obviously. I leave it connected to the Cambo plate and use their plastic cover on it. Again, this'll fit nicely into a partition in the ICU so that it doesn't rattle around.

With my current gear I have one ICU with my Phase XF outfit (Pelican Insert ICU) and an XL Pro with Cambo Actus DB+, 32HR, 70HR, 135 Apo-Digitar, IQ back, cable pouch and battery pouch and I still have room to spare in the ICU.

If you do a search here you'll find a couple of threads covering bags for technical cameras and they include pictures.

Last edited:

jng

Just FYI but the Phase One Pelicon insert is different to the XL Pro. It is a slimmer ICU and actually taller than the XL Pro and so will fill a Tilopa or Satori EXP bag to the top. The XL Pro is a little shorter but taller.
LOL, after foolishly following (dis)information from multiple threads on some forum(s), I learned the hard way that an XL Pro will NOT in fact fit into a Pelican 1510 Storm case. My folly aside, the f-stop ICU's are a great modular solution for organizing, storing and moving gear between back packs and hard cases.

GrahamWelland

That's true regarding these inserts. I picked up a couple of the ones to fit the Pelican/Storm case and noticed the difference in the dimensions vs the other 'standard' ICUs. I didn't expect the Pelican insert version from Phase One to be so tall. When it is inside a bag vs case, the top section of the insert is a little tricky to get to from the rear access pane on the bag. The XL Pro also extends beyond the zipper panel but only by an inch or so.

kdphotography

FYI, the Phase "ICU" insert is not for the Pelican 1510 (close but not quite) and I do believe it is really the sister case from Storm. I think Steve Hendrix from CI can confirm. I have both cases and I know they are slightly different.

ken

GrahamWelland

Ken, the Phase One ICU fits perfectly in the Pelican 1510. Well, at least it does in mine and I have, erm, many :). I have the Storm case too although it's never really ever been used (I've never used it and just kept it in the box that the gear arrived in).

Last edited:

kdphotography

The Phase case and ICU I have is pretty fancy-schmancy. The case has a pretty nifty lid insert with collapsible wings that open up to shield your laptop from glare. It's definitely close in size to the Pelican 1510, but slight differences with the Storm.

Boinger

If you like pelican's have you considered this?

Custom Foam Pelican Cases

They will customize the foam insert for you and the cost is quite reasonable. You just show them how you want your gear arranged.

GrahamWelland

Hmm, maybe there are differences with the very latest case then. I have the black storm case that came with my IQ160 which has the interior top lid although I don't think that it has the laptop shade. See, you obviously get nicer bits when you buy an IQ3 100!! I may have to go see what that top part unfolds into - mine looks like a laptop sleeve.

With my Phase One case the inner ICU seems to fit identically to my Pelican 1510's. Ironically I just picked up another ICU tonight (the one CI sells on the web site) and tried it in both the Pelican and Phase One case. Identical fit and the ICU has all of the cut outs for the wheels and slight indent at the top too. As mentioned, I don't use the Phase One branded case - they seem to sell for stupid money btw vs a Pelican 1510! I also like the fact that my Pelican cases are white, tan, and black which helps remember what's in each box.

jng

Graham,

Can you post the URL for the Custom ICU listed on the Capture Integration site? I just looked and for the life of me can't find it (although I did see the P1 case listed - zoiks!). Thanks!

John

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it hidden under "body accessories."

GrahamWelland

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it hidden under "body accessories."
:thumbs: Yes you have to come at the F-stop gear obliquely on CI's site. The f-stop link is like f-stop inventory ... Empty. Go via the phase one body accessories and you'll even be able to buy a branded Phase One F-stop bag. That said, I may have got the last one as they had to give me a Satori exp vs Tilopa as they only had Satori's left.

jng

Graham, Ken,

Thanks for the info! Just to be 100% clear (because frankly I screwed up before): the Phase One-branded ICU will fit in both the Pelican 1510 and Storm 2500 cases, correct? The photo of the Phase One case looks like the Storm case with a (very expensive) Phase One sticker affixed. ;)

John

Last edited:

kdphotography

John, I would check with Steve or Dave at CI. I think it is a matter of making sure that if you are ordering separate "ICUs" that it is the correct size and fits your case. I bought my "Phase branded" case separate from my purchase of the IQ3 100 (upgrades don't get no stinkin' cases) from someone who didn't want/need the new case. Awesome price and I couldn't say no.:loco: I think the "Phase ICU" I have will fit both, but seems slightly more snug in the old Pelican 1510 I have. The "Phase" storm case is really nice and that insert with built-in laptop shade---nicely designed albeit never used by me.

Or you could just borrow a case from Graham. :ROTFL: I haven't quite gotten to the point of color-coordinated Pelicans! Btw, the Phase-branded Storm case has the Phase logo nicely printed on the side. No cheap stickers here. It's worth every cent of that premium price.:rolleyes::ROTFL:

jng

Thanks, Ken! The ink they use to print the logo must be made from unobtanium!;)

Seriously, though... I sourced a P1 ICU from my local, trusted dealer (Bear Images), who told me that the P1 case is equivalent to the Storm 2500.

Thanks again to you and Graham for sharing your knowledge on this and other matters.

John

GrahamWelland

I went to the Pelican web site to check the interior dimensions of the Storm i2500 and the Pelican 1510 hard cases. They are indeed slightly different according to the specs, the pictures match what I have and I can assure you that the Phase One ICU sold at CI's site fits both.

Any difference in fit is minimal actually and Ken is likely correct that the ICU is a very slightly tighter fit in the Pelican vs the Storm but it seems to be taken up just by slight compression of the foam of the ICU.

Storm Case:
  • INTERIOR (L X W X D)
    20.50" x 11.50" x 7.20" (52.1 x 29.2 x 18.3 cm)

For the Pelican 1510:

• INTERIOR (L X W X D)
    19.75" x 11.00" x 7.60" (50.2 x 27.9 x 19.3 cm)