The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Transporting Tech Cam/Lenses

jng

Thanks, Graham. I should be receiving both the ICU and Storm case by the end of the week and don't anticipate any problems with fit, assuming of course I can fit all my gear in the case!

In the meantime, the essential components of my MF kit (4 lenses, two bodies, MFDB plus odds and ends) fit nicely in the large pro ICU, which I think will slide nicely into my Tilopa pack with some room left over for other stuff on top.

John

HiggsSinglet

Currently working on a custom foam for my HPRC 2550W hard case. This will hold 5 Alpa Lens, a MAX Body, a PhaseONE back plus cables.

IMG_7720.JPGIMG_7719.JPGIMG_7718.JPG

So far, some minor modification to the position and the orientation of the MAX, moving up the 180 slot to allow for additional slots for batteries and enlarging the accessory/cable holder

dnercesian

Wow, this has been great thread with a lot of great information. I really want to thank everyone who has chimed in. I made a few designs on the case builder site and I really think that what they are doing is not only awesome, but also very reasonably priced.

However, at the moment, I am looking into hard cases with ICUs as the configurability and re-configurability could be very beneficial. I do not see myself going through a lot of kit at this point in my career and I pretty much know what I will use at a shoot, not to mention that I will research and demo things prior to buying them at the price point we are in. Still though, some flexibility would be nice for now, and it seems the ICUs become very practical in that respect.

jng

This week I received the Phase One/f-stop ICU and Pelican Storm im2500 case. As anticipated, it's a perfect fit. I also picked up the handy lid organizer; the lid closes fine as well with the foam insert. A photo documenting this particular manifestation of GAS is pasted in below (my wife started to ask me what was up with all the camera cases but thought better of it and stopped :p).

BTW, there's some chatter on Lula that f-stop is on shaky ground: Drama at F-Stop Gear. I don't think all sides of the story have been heard from, but for those of you contemplating f-stop gear you may want to move on this while you still can by purchasing from a trusted dealer's inventory.

John

P1 ICU Pelican Storm 2500.jpg

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
All I know is that I ordered 2x XL Pro ICU last week and they were delivered this week. Their website still says 4-6 weeks. I ordered two more just in case.

Btw, the same fit in my Pelican 1510 albeit I know from the dimensions that it's a bit tighter in the Pelican vs Storm.

algrove

Graham
Your organizer looks very different from the one my Pelican Phase came with just a few months ago. Any P/N on the one you received?

GrahamWelland

The Phase One insert in the original storm case is different. Mine looks like a big laptop sleeve with some pockets on the outside. Ken has the fancy studio in a box liner that I believe comes with the IQ3 100 outfit. I quite fancy getting one of those lid organizers with the laptop shade but doubtless Phase One are very proud of them (aka $$$$) and I haven't seen them listed separately.

For a regular Pelican 1510 there is also a lid organizer that you screw onto the posts on the inside of the lid. I've had one for years and the mesh pockets are great for carrying all the spares etc. I have one for my Nikon outfit and they hold things like lens caps, eyepiece spares etc etc.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...grapher_s_Lid_Organizer.html/pageID/accessory

jng

Yes, it would appear that Phase One is including some nice custom inserts for their Storm cases. Otherwise there appears to be more variety in off-the-shelf lid organizers for the Pelican 1510 than for the Storm im2500.

I may pick up yet another case/ICU to catch the overflow that doesn't fit into my existing two cases. It will nice to have all the gear organized but I'm not sure this explanation will fly with the wife...

John

algrove

Graham-I have the insert that comes with the IQ3-100. In the field, it seems a small HDMI screen would work easier for me than totting around my laptop, etc. and the Storm case.

I looked on the f-stop site today and no XL ICU's are available saying it will be 4-6 weeks before they are available. I have a friend in St Louis, but he does not know f-stops exact address even though he has purchased multiple backpacks from them and multiple ICU's. Based on the Lula article I am reticent to give them CC infor on an order and then have them go belly-up. I have found no "dealers" who handle f-stop products. Anyone know of any?

GrahamWelland

I have no commercial relationship with F-Stop but all I can say is that I ordered 2x XL Pro ICU on July 31st and they shipped out yesterday. I ordered two more yesterday just to have some spare inventory (love their gear and I can always use ICUs for my 4 F-Stop bags).

I can't vouch for their owner or their recent business activity but their gear is superb. I'd get it while you can.

The whole near field gear tracking Kickstarter never appealed to me, although I did look at it at the time. Seems like that's the financial beef people have although the article alludes to a very dubious owner. That said, they have ALWAYS delivered goods to me, albeit once they'd received stock.

kdphotography

Maybe Fstop gear thinks you're a commercial retail client and fills your orders immediately...:ROTFL:

I wouldn't worry too much about the Fstop gear drama---it is what it is. It's the idea behind using "ICU's" that works well---and there will be alternatives.

ken

GrahamWelland

Alas Ken, even as a serial F-Stop bag offender, my general experience with them has also been one of order and wait. On a couple of orders back in 2011 or 2012 it was wait, wait, wait ... (those pesky rare rain covers seemed to have been prepared by damsels in far off Neverland). :sleep:

DrakeJ

The laptop fold out tent that is in the P1 Pelican IM2500 supplied case which was what I got is pretty nice. Problem is that the laptop tent takes up so much space that a macbook pro doesn't fit in the case with the XF and the 90 degree prism mounted. Anyone else noticed this? :)

algrove

Did not even try, but I will now. I bet one has to either remove the PVF from the XF or lay it if mounted on the XF on its side.

jng

Right. My only real criticism of the P1 ICU is that it's a bit too shallow to take a camera body w/prism attached or a large-ish lens standing upright (or a DSLR with battery grip attached). The XL Pro ICU is deeper but I learned by trial and error (emphasis on the error part) that it won't fit into the Pelican 1510/Storm 2500. My workaround was to get the larger Storm 2620 case that doesn't give quite the same snug fit but works out fine with an inch or so of foam on the bottom of the case. And the extra space around the sides lets me overstuff the ICU with a few big lenses. :cool:

Anyway, I just ordered another P1 ICU, just to future-proof my storage options. GAS, indeed...

John

GrahamWelland

The P1 inserts are definitely on the shallow side that's for sure. It seems a bit unnecessary and if they abandoned the lid organizer as you could probably add an inch in depth without it.

algrove

Ordered an XL ICU and it came in like one week. Glad I listened to you guys. Now on to what case will this thing fit into if wanted for my XF+100 kit. To remove the P1 top insert requires pulling it off due to the very sticky tape used. Just might get the 2620 jng ended up with, but will it be within airline carry on limits like the Storm and 1510 seem to be..

jng

Ordered an XL ICU and it came in like one week. Glad I listened to you guys. Now on to what case will this thing fit into if wanted for my XF+100 kit. To remove the P1 top insert requires pulling it off due to the very sticky tape used. Just might get the 2620 jng ended up with, but will it be within airline carry on limits like the Storm and 1510 seem to be..
Don't bother tearing out your existing lid insert (although the standard Storm case insert use Velco strips). The Storm 2500 lid still won't close well over the XL ICU because of the latter's height, which interferes with the lid closing (I tried).

The 2620 is beyond US airline carry on size limits. Even if you manage to sneak it on board, at roughly 11.75" deep (thick) and being totally rigid, it's probably too deep to fit into the overhead bins except perhaps on planes with oversized bins, like on the 777.

John

EDIT: P.S. f-stop used to sell a hard bottom/soft top rolling case called "Literoom Roller" into which one could stick the XL Pro ICU. It doesn't provide the same protection as the hard Pelican case but does provide a solution for wheeling the stuff around. You might contact the company or surf around the web to see if you can find one, either sitting as unsold inventory or used.

Last edited:

MILESF

f-stop used to sell a hard bottom/soft top rolling case called "Literoom Roller" into which one could stick the XL Pro ICU. It doesn't provide the same protection as the hard Pelican case but does provide a solution for wheeling the stuff around. You might contact the company or surf around the web to see if you can find one, either sitting as unsold inventory or used.
The f-stop literoom didn't seem to sell well so there may be some around in dealer inventory. I've found it a very good option. It is just outside most airline carry-on dimensions and I haven't chanced it. I certainly wouldn't consign it to the hold. I tend to hand carry the Pro XL ICU and check the bag (Satori) in a duffel. So far without any problem/challenge at check-in.

I use it for moving gear by car or if working in the city eg when shooting buildings.