The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Arca Swiss Cube / D4 Top Panoramic Plate - not centered

Christopher

Hi,

Just was preparing some stuff for my upcoming trip and I read something and roughly quickly double checked it on my D4 and Cube. (I don't have any good measurement tools here so I can only check it roughly, perhaps somebody can do it more closely.

As far as I can tell the "small" arca plate (Which takes the 3mRd and so) is centered perfectly. The normal Arca Swiss mount, which takes any L bracket or Arca swiss type Rail is DECENTERED.

This is perhaps a important note as for making panoramic with the nodal point, one has to use the bottom Panoramic plate, which again is stupid as it has no ° numbers or anything.

Can someone just double check these facts, or if somebody knows confirm or denies them? I'm going a little crazy here with all the tiny measurements.

Thanks
Chris

jng

The normal Arca Swiss mount, which takes any L bracket or Arca swiss type Rail is DECENTERED.
I recall noticing this as well when I first got my Cube, so no need to drive yourself crazy wondering about it. I would look and confirm this for you, but I replaced the A/S clamp with one from Really Right Stuff, which seems to keep the plate more or less centered over the rotation axis but of course limits you to using only the "normal" A/S style plates. By the way, changing out the clamp required a trip to the shop due to the red-type lock tightening compound used to fuse the locking bolt to the mount.

John

vjbelle

My Cube which is about 1 1/2 years old is also decentered. I don't use it in the landscape position but instead in the portrait position as I have an Actus which has the rail front to back instead of a normal camera which has a plate side to side. I have, though, used my cube with both my Nikon 800e and Sony A7rll for up to 5 shot panorama's and never had an issue. I wouldn't worry about it.......

Victor

Christopher

Have to look into it. Perhaps switching one of the two heads with a different quick release system so it is centred. Quite annoying otherwise.

In that regard are the two Linhof 3D heads perfectly centred ?