The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad - CFV50c Version II - possbile?

torger

I've heard from someone that said he was told by a Hasselblad dealer that they will discontinue the CFV, that is CFV-50c is unfortunately the last back. I haven't heard anything official though. I would guess that the market is still there for at least one more generation, but maybe they want to focus their efforts on the new X1D system. They're a small company and they can only support that many products.

Losing the CFV I think is a great loss not only for the V system, but also because it's the most affordable way to get a new digital back for a tech cam.

torger

I heard a different story!
Intriguing, any details?

My source is like "I heard someone that said that someone said", so it's certainly not all that reliable. It sounds quite likely though, and even if I hadn't heard anything my guess would be that CFV-50c is indeed the last CFV. I would absolutely love to be wrong though.

Jager

One report I read recently suggested the CFV-50c was the best selling product in Hasselblad's entire portfolio last year. I have no way of knowing whether that is true, or whether it's just more internet gossip, but the empirical evidence - routine backlogs of the back during the months after the price drop last October - would at the very least suggest high demand.

And if that's the case, it's hard for me to fathom that the current management team would kill it. Unlike some of their predecessors, they seem pretty thoughtful and grounded.

My bet is that we'll see an updated version at some point.

Miller

Intriguing, any details?
I could give more details of what i have heard, but would that carry any weight? Please do not take this personally, but I am quite done with doom scenarios for Hasselblad.
I really believe that they are 100% committed to photography again.

torger

I could give more details of what i have heard, but would that carry any weight? Please do not take this personally, but I am quite done with doom scenarios for Hasselblad.
I really believe that they are 100% committed to photography again.
Sure it would carry weight, say if you heard it from a Hasselblad representative that there is more CFV products to come for example.

Why would discontinuing the CFV be a doom scenario for Hasselblad, I don't understand? It's quite logical. They've introduced a new camera X1D and they can't hold on to the V system forever, the camera body and lenses have been discontinued for years. Letting the CFV go would be normal business strategy. Being devoted to photography doesn't mean that they need to be devoted to historical products.

However the CFV-50c does seem to have been a very successful product, thanks to the combination of a competitive price point and the CMOS features, so the market is probably there for still some time if they want to invest there, and as said tech cam users love to have this option, but bear in mind the CFV-50c was made for the V system, that it's a great tech cam option (minus the known Sony CMOS issues with wide angles, but that's a problem with all backs with that sensor) is probably just a coincidence considering Hasselblad's very low interest in tech cams. Hopefully that have changed though.

A "CFV-50c II" seems to some extent more likely than a CFV-100c though, as the latter would probably be too expensive for the segment.

tjv

Local distributors here are selling off their demo unit, which usually indicates something else is either on the way or it's simply end of line.
Personally, I can't imagine they'll kill it off. I think they'll just keep the case and sensor, but upgrade it with the new interface which R&D has already paid for for the H and X cameras. More products with the same sensor and internal parts means overall cheaper production, afterall.

f8orbust

I don't see it. Since there's only one 50MP CMOS chip, what would a CFV-50C MK II bring to the party ?

What about a CFV-100C ? Don't see that either. How many V-system owners are going to shell out $20k+ for a DB. The great thing about the CFV-50C was its price-point.

I think H/B will keep their line lean, after all there are only two sensors anyone looking to buy a new DB is interested in - the 50MP CMOS and the 100MP CMOS. Phase One's line is bloated because they have inventory to clear in the CCD line. Once that's gone, like Hasselblad, they'll just offer two sensors - the 50 and the 100.

Jim

OT: Whatever happened to Leaf ? Are they going to do anything with the 100MP sensor, or is the only (100MP) option for the budget conscious photographer the H6D-100C ?

tjv

What would it bring yo the table? Same great performance but with far better interface; decent live view refresh rate for tech camera, wide open focus checking and a far better screen resolution. Seems like a no brainer to me. Of course I'd prefer the 100mpx version...

I don't see it. Since there's only one 50MP CMOS chip, what would a CFV-50C MK II bring to the party ?

What about a CFV-100C ? Don't see that either. How many V-system owners are going to shell out $20k+ for a DB. The great thing about the CFV-50C was its price-point.

I think H/B will keep their line lean, after all there are only two sensors anyone looking to buy a new DB is interested in - the 50MP CMOS and the 100MP CMOS. Phase One's line is bloated because they have inventory to clear in the CCD line. Once that's gone, like Hasselblad, they'll just offer two sensors - the 50 and the 100.

Jim

OT: Whatever happened to Leaf ? Are they going to do anything with the 100MP sensor, or is the only (100MP) option for the budget conscious photographer the H6D-100C ?

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Here in Germany , two of the big dealers for professional equipment , have marked the HASSELBLAD CFV50c as
NO LONGER AVAILABLE .
An other big dealer offers two exclusive sets . AH28LB , which stands for ALPA (STC) + HASSELBLAD CFV50c + 28mm Long Barrel
and AHTS40 ALPA (STC) + HASSELBLAD CFV50c + 40mm TILT SHIFT .
Both sets 1200€ cheaper as if the components are bought seperately .
Is this selling the last available CFV50c units ?
A loss of HASSELBLADs CFV50c digital back will be a severe situation for ALPA , ARCA and CAMBO makers and users .

f8orbust

What would it bring yo the table? Same great performance but with far better interface; decent live view refresh rate for tech camera, wide open focus checking and a far better screen resolution. Seems like a no brainer to me. Of course I'd prefer the 100mpx version...
As nice as those things would be to have, I seriously doubt that enough people would take the $$ hit to move away from the CFV-50c for another back with the same IQ/MP.

Which leaves H/B looking for new users (the ‘holy grail’ of DB retail) for a CFV-50C MkII ... and I suspect most V-system users that wanted a D/B, have one by now.

IMO, it only makes sense to release a new DB when a new sensor appears; multiple incarnations of the same sensor on the same platform is just plain daft (look at P1/Leaf's product line, it's so bloated that it reminds me of this). H/Bs DB line-up of 50MP CMOS and 100MP CMOS on the H-platform, and 50MP CMOS on the V-platform looks shrewd in comparison.

ErikKaffehr

Re: Hasselblad - CFV50c Version II - possbile? Some reflections…

Hi,

Hasselblad will make the CFV50c as long as it is profitable…

Due to the earthquake in Japan, I would guess that CMOS sensor supply is limited and the ones available go into more profitable/competitive products.

If there will be a second version depends on market analysis. If there is a business opportunity, then probably.

Will we see a full frame (645 back)? I am not so sure, it would take a lot of lenses to (or beyond) the limits and cost would be much higher.

Will we see fat pixel, 6x6cm backs? Not from Hasselblad, that is not where the market is moving. Some other vendor may do it using some different technology

Best regards
Erik

Last edited:

jotloob

Subscriber Member
This is not a forgotten thread although there are no posts since 8 weeks .
PHOTOKINA 2016 has ended two weeks ago and there was not the slightest hint for a "new" CFV50c .
Are there any news on the CFV50c front which I have missed ? ? ?

rmueller

Hi Jürgen,

no there was nothing announced at photokina regarding the CFV50c. But quite honestly, with the given
resources that Hasselblad has, I'd rather want them to bring the V1D concept into production.

The current CFV50c does its job well, it has life-view, the display is great and on par with H5D etc., not
sure what people are missing here that would justify a CFV50c-II. Touch screen? We don't need it but
well there might be folks that want it.

On the contrary, a CFV100c with the bigger sensor and 4k video might be attractive but i doubt it will
come. In my opinion, the CFV's were always targeted for the ambitious amateur and the price point of
a CFV100c might be well beyond of what those folks are willing to pay.

Just realized the CFV50c disappeared from the Hasselblad web site. That happened recently, i was checking
this sometime two weeks ago. Either indicates there will be something new or end of CFV. Time will tell.

Just my 2 cents, now off to Italy for vacation. Will give you a call when I'm back in two weeks.

Regards,
Ralf

This is not a forgotten thread although there are no posts since 8 weeks .
PHOTOKINA 2016 has ended two weeks ago and there was not the slightest hint for a "new" CFV50c .
Are there any news on the CFV50c front which I have missed ? ? ?