The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

P1 webinar on Blue Ring lenses - "Advanced XF communications for future tools"

DrakeJ

P1 webinar on Blue Ring lenses - "Advanced XF communications for future tools"

P1 has a webinar up on youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYQ_Sy-uzrQ

The previous description of blue ring lenses was more metal, better quality control and the ability to fine tune autofocus for multiple lenses of the same focal length.

But in this webinar they bring up the attached slide which says "Advanced XF communication for future tools ;)". They danced around the issue and never described it in detail.

Anyone care to guess what they have in mind which won't work with all previous lenses?

Attachments

kdphotography

Re: P1 webinar on Blue Ring lenses - "Advanced XF communications for future tools"

Damn. This could possibly ruin my blue-rubber band on the SK LS lens barrel strategy. It took me awhile to find high quality Phase One blue rubber bands too....:D2016-08-09 21.25.55.jpg:ROTFL:

Last edited:

algrove

Re: P1 webinar on Blue Ring lenses - "Advanced XF communications for future tools"

I really hope they introduce a GPS module for the hot shoe. In this way any blue rubber bands are not affected.

Christopher

better focus stacking ability ?
Don't think so. Why? So far it works great on all lenses. My guess would be some type of true focus or "anti blur" but who knows....

M

mjr

Morning

As someone who has picked up a set of last generation lenses at great prices based on the well published info that some lenses haven't changed their optical performance, just build quality, I'd be peeved if it turns out that future options will not be available to me without the new lenses!

Mat

ErikKaffehr

Update: This info is erroneous, unfortunately! I was looking at EXIF data extracted from an "EIP" file by RawDigger. Extracting the IQQ file from the EIP and opening that file in RawDigger and checking EXIF has not shown those entries. So, the information was probably added by Capture One and not part of the original IIQ file. I was jumping conclusions…

Sorry for my mistake!

Hi,

T&S lenses and devices commincating amount of tilt and shift? I think I have seen some EXIF fields for that in recent IIQ files, but that was a while ago.

Best regards
Erik

P1 has a webinar up on youtube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYQ_Sy-uzrQ

The previous description of blue ring lenses was more metal, better quality control and the ability to fine tune autofocus for multiple lenses of the same focal length.

But in this webinar they bring up the attached slide which says "Advanced XF communication for future tools ;)". They danced around the issue and never described it in detail.

Anyone care to guess what they have in mind which won't work with all previous lenses?

Last edited:

jotloob

Subscriber Member

Damn. This could possibly ruin my blue-rubber band on the SK LS lens barrel strategy. It took me awhile to find high quality Phase One blue rubber bands too....:DView attachment 120509:ROTFL:
Hahahahahahahahaha :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:
Great . I love that . I will see if I can get some of these rings here . Honestly .

algrove

I have never seen a blue ring DB before. Now I will have to trade up I guess.

kdphotography

The silver rings on the "old" SK LS lenses are so yesterday. Any fashion conscious denizen of Dante's Forum knows that already. "Blue" is the new Black. ;)

And, of course, me and Don will be distributing these fine Phase One Blue rubber bands at next year's CI/Pigs 2017 (no matter what Dave Gallagher says;))

The 9th Annual CI/Pigs not a workshop-workshop is on location in 2017---and it's a special one.

Ken

jotloob

Subscriber Member

Ken
Would you mind sending me some of these rings ? ? ? Not packages , I don't have that much lenses .
I will send you a PM if you are prepared and send money right away by PAYPAL . I can't attend the CI/Pigs 2017 .

dchew

I wish Phase and Alpa would get their colors straightened out. I need a yellow rubber band for my 40hr. The blue is so yesterday.

Dave

jotloob

Subscriber Member

Yellow bands are available through AMAZ**.com . Ken surely has the proper size .

kdphotography

I just turned all my Rodenstocks into Blue Rings. Can someone keep their eyes out for yellow? :ROTFL:

If you really want a blue band, send me a PM, Jurgen. You can always attend CI/Pigs in the spirit of Dante... ;)

Ken

jotloob

Subscriber Member

For my ALPAs I have two blue ring lenses , one magenta and three green banded lenses .
Will I still be regarded as a serious photographer here in DANTES INFERNO ? ? ?

DrakeJ

Morning

As someone who has picked up a set of last generation lenses at great prices based on the well published info that some lenses haven't changed their optical performance, just build quality, I'd be peeved if it turns out that future options will not be available to me without the new lenses!

Mat
Indeed, I'm looking at used lenses and this sort of ruins it. Wish they could spell out exactly what you miss by going with the old lenses instead of talking in riddles. Could be just a marketing ploy...

kdphotography

I'd be peeved, too. I mean, what a waste of good rubber-bands. :ROTFL:

I'm really happy with the optical performance of the SK LS lenses, and the real difference has been the addition of the Phase XF with its vastly improved AF performance. If the conjecture is correct about some "Tru-focus-like" tweak, I would think that would be more within the realm of the gyros and Honeybee AF system within the XF, rather than reliant on the lens. It's a cruel world here with Dante...

I'm still placing my bets on my Phase One blue rubber bands :loco: and sticking with my current SK LS lenses. If some monumental future improvement comes of this "advanced XF communications" that seems worthwhile, keep an eye out for some great SK LS lens deals on the GetDPI buy/sell forum. Mine will come with some really cool blue rubber bands. :ROTFL:

ken

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

FWIW here's my view of the BR lenses. The 35 mm, as I think you all know, is in a class by itself and far superior to the previous 35 (which I used to have).

My SK55 and SK80 (non BR) are really really good and other than the beefier build, I can't imagine the BR versions could be better. They're staying in my bag.

The BR 120 Macro is definitely better than my previous non BR which I sold.

The BR 150 is no better optically than the Mamiya 150 2.8. I only sold the latter because I wanted the leaf shutter - but of course lost a half-stop in speed. They're both very sharp.

I can't comment on the SK240 because I've not tried the BR version, but my non BR copy is entirely satisfactory and I won't be trading it.

Bill