The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Architectural Photography and the XF

aztwang

OK so have not done much of this type of photography. That being said I may have an opportunity to shoot some a chain of grocery stores. inside and out. I have an XF/IQ250 and the widest glass I have is a 35LS. Now I know the 250 is not the perfect setup for architectural photography but it will have to suffice. My question is can I get this done with top end results shooting with the XF body or is a tech camera a must have??

Cheers

Don

paulgrundy

With a subject like this you should be fine without movements. When needed you can straighten verticals in C1.
My biggest concern would be that 35mm is not wide enough.
I shoot interiors with a Hasselblad because of the 24mm & 28mm lenses.
I would recommend a recce where you can see how the 35 works in those spaces and take it from there.

Paul

kdphotography

C'mon, Don. This is it---the perfect justification. Phase IQ3 100MP and a technical camera. You deserve it.... :grin:

dnercesian

Typically, for a subject like this, you tend to have a lot of room to work with. While 35mm is pushing it a little, I still feel it is doable. I have the 150 and 160, and with the 35LS, I would likely use the 160 on the XF, or the 150 on the tech camera with the 32mm.

aztwang

C'mon, Don. This is it---the perfect justification. Phase IQ3 100MP and a technical camera. You deserve it.... :grin:
Ken you ARE NOT helping here buddy! I have dreams about the 100. I tried to liquify enough funds when Fotohouse had his 100 for sale here but couldn't make it happen.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Ken you ARE NOT helping here buddy! I have dreams about the 100. I tried to liquify enough funds when Fotohouse had his 100 for sale here but couldn't make it happen.
Me too btw :facesmack:

I've been trawling the streets with Guy's balaclava and a flick knife but still haven't managed to gather enough funds.

dnercesian

Me too btw :facesmack:

I've been trawling the streets with Guy's balaclava and a flick knife but still haven't managed to gather enough funds.

Honestly, I love the full FOV from my IQ160 but am spoiled from the Live View of the 150. The moment it becomes affordable to trade in the 60 for the 100, I am all over it. Besides, the 100 is a dynamic range MONSTER!!!

You people are a bad influence...

JonMo

Just wanted to thank you guys for not having the funds therefore allowing me to snatch it up!:cool:

mediumcool

I had a 35mm Mamiya which I used with a 36 x 48mm Leaf sensor, and it wasn’t wide enough about 1/3 of the time while shooting interiors; not so bad on exteriors. I found my 50mm shift to be very useful too, particularly with stitching; a near-great lens in spite of what some say.

gmfotografie

How do you shoot interieurs or exterieurs with an xf system?
You don´t have the possibility to shift (and tilt) - one of the reason for a straight good picture in this genre.

i have looked at several famous and important architecture photographer - very less shoot with an mf system - most of them with a canon in combination with the tse lenses and or viewcamera - some with alpa 50cmos or 60ccd sensors.
i find very rarely photographers who use a hasselblad with the HTS Adapter.

In my opinon this match goes to canon and the great TSE lenses.

dnercesian

How do you shoot interieurs or exterieurs with an xf system?
You don´t have the possibility to shift (and tilt) - one of the reason for a straight good picture in this genre.

i have looked at several famous and important architecture photographer - very less shoot with an mf system - most of them with a canon in combination with the tse lenses and or viewcamera - some with alpa 50cmos or 60ccd sensors.
i find very rarely photographers who use a hasselblad with the HTS Adapter.

In my opinon this match goes to canon and the great TSE lenses.
It is entirely possible to shoot architecture with an XF, but it is simply not ideal.

I make my living shooting architecture and have tried EVERYTHING at one point or another. For professional architecture shooters, especially those of us who are full time, I agree that the Canon TSE setup is fantastic, but I prefer the TSE lenses on the Sony A7 series bodies, that decision mostly being due to dynamic range. We'll see if the new 5D4 changes that at all.

Anyhow, it has not been too long for me on the MFD path, but I can say beyond a shadow of a doubt that my Cambo WRS 5000 setup with IQ150 & IQ160 is by far the best tool I have ever used on the job.