The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Questions about Hasselblads "upgraded exposure unit" for older / pre H6D HC lenses...

snapper

Questions about Hasselblads "upgraded exposure unit" for older / pre H6D HC lenses...

Hi all,

Just looking for some clarification on some details regarding the upgrade of shutter in older Hassie H lenses.

Here are my resources:

Upgrade existing H lenses to 1/2000?
New shutters up to 1/2000?
Hasselbron

So my question...

- Will the new shutter in the lens mean the new maximum X-sync will be 1/1000?
- Will a new firmware be requird for the camera body and/or digital back to be able to reach/set the 1/1000 of a second?
- Or will the new unit in the lens transmit the required info to the rest of the camera?
- When will Hasselblad start rolling out the new shutters to repair an service factories to be installed to update older HC lenses? Do we have a world wide timescale and price list?

Thank you all in advance.

iiiNelson

Re: Questions about Hasselblads "upgraded exposure unit" for older / pre H6D HC lense

Hi all,

Just looking for some clarification on some details regarding the upgrade of shutter in older Hassie H lenses.

Here are my resources:

Upgrade existing H lenses to 1/2000?
New shutters up to 1/2000?
Hasselbron

So my question...

- Will the new shutter in the lens mean the new maximum X-sync will be 1/1000?
- Will a new firmware be requird for the camera body and/or digital back to be able to reach/set the 1/1000 of a second?
- Or will the new unit in the lens transmit the required info to the rest of the camera?
- When will Hasselblad start rolling out the new shutters to repair an service factories to be installed to update older HC lenses? Do we have a world wide timescale and price list?

Thank you all in advance.
Maximum x-sync will be 1/2000 if your lights are capable of it. I believe this option is only available to those with H6 bodies. Older bodies are still limited to a maximum of 1/800 sync. I believe you can send in lenses for upgraded shutters now but you have to contact your Hasselblad dealer to confirm.

ChrisLivsey

Re: Questions about Hasselblads "upgraded exposure unit" for older / pre H6D HC lense

That seems clear to me.

The top speed of 1/2000 with the H6D is achieved by stopping sensor read out after 1/2000 (while the shutter will remain open for another 1/1000). That is what the older bodies technically can not do, so there is no possibility via a firmware upgrade to allow 1/2000 with the new lenses on the older bodies.

ErikKaffehr

Hi Chris,

It is actually the other way around. The leaf shutter opens and after something like 1/1000s the sensor is reset. Exposure is terminated by the leaf shutter.

With CMOS, the only way to terminate exposure is to do a readout and that readout is slow. "Silent shutter" works that way, they do a sweeping reset followed by a sweeping read out. As shutter speed is limited by readout, silent shutter has long travel time.

To terminate exposure electronically takes a global shutter. Interline CCD can do that, by reserving half the area rapidly moving the charges from the photodiodes to storage position. But, interline CCDs waste half the sensor surface for just buffering charge. So, they were not widely used in high end still photography equipment.

Sorry for jumping in, but a short explanation may explain why engineers make the design choices they do…

Best regards
Erik

I think it's important to know that it looks like it's not clear at all if it is possible and to what extend.

See
http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=111463.0